Thinking about buying a PRE

j1ffy

Visit site
I've brought four PREs over from Spain - three were mine, one belonged to my ex and was sold (he was the only entire we brought over, but his balls didn't last long!). I competed the first to BD Elementary and also did a bit of everything, the second I competed to BD Medium and we'd have gone further but he had a field accident as a 5yo that we think caused a neck injury. My third is my current youngster in my avatar.

I've had no issues with them adapting to this country. They can be very sensitive to grass and certain types of feed, particularly if they have been stable-kept in Spain, so it's important to introduce them slowly to grazing and / or bring them over in winter. Bear in mind that Spain is a large country with a varied climate so don't listen to generalisations on what they do / don't eat there, it will be region and yard specific. Mine all came from a yard that fed rough hay, unmolassed sugar beet and oats - so fairly basic. My first boy developed navicular, I believe as a result of a very 'English' farrier trimming his hooves to the wrong ideal on arrival, which we've managed through a barefoot self-trimming approach. I've kept the others barefoot too and their hooves are excellent, but two of them are very sensitive to any type of chaff so I keep them on copra and a powder balancer (currently Oxydane) but I'd do the same for any breed of horse now.

If you've been working at a dressage yard with PREs, you'll be familiar with the training challenges. I was a dressage novice when I got my first PRE and had to learn how to encourage him to stretch over his back and stop the 'choppy' tendency. You'll be aware that they are very quick learners so they adapt easily with correct, consistent training.

Temperament-wise, my three are all very different. My first (now 17yo, I got him as a 5yo) is extremely laid-back and one of those 'one in a million' types who'll look after a novice or give an experienced rider a really fun ride. My second (now 15yo) is more sensitive and a bit of a worrier, but very straightforward to ride. My third (5yo) is closely related to the second, but is a far bolder character and incredibly sensitive - I've had to re-learn how to ride in some ways! All three have beautiful natures, very human-focused, great to hack and take out to competitions etc, and take responsibility to look after their riders.

After a brief sojourn into the warmblood world, I'll be sticking with PREs!!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Thank you so so much everyone for your replies, definitely lots of good information from you all. It's great to hear that @visa_bot and @littleshetland you have had good experiences and your horse's have settled well. I think I was worried that importing could be really difficult. Has anyone heard of or used Andalusian horses direct? I have been in contact with Dawn from there about a lovely horse and she has been super helpful but wanted to know if anyone has used/knows anything about her?
Post and search on the is facebook group and you may find your answer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1170446873373159/?ref=share

j1ffy

Visit site
Thank you so so much everyone for your replies, definitely lots of good information from you all. It's great to hear that @visa_bot and @littleshetland you have had good experiences and your horse's have settled well. I think I was worried that importing could be really difficult. Has anyone heard of or used Andalusian horses direct? I have been in contact with Dawn from there about a lovely horse and she has been super helpful but wanted to know if anyone has used/knows anything about her?

Sorry, missed this post. Dawn sold my ex's horse for him, four years ago now, and seemed fine to deal with for that but as Shortstuff says it's worth looking for reviews on that FB group. She seems to move on a lot of horses so I'm sure experiences will be mixed.

sz90168

Visit site
Sophie Marie Gooding sells super PRE's but you need a good five figure budget. I know a few people who bought from here and they are lovely. Have you got a lot of experiences with PRE's? I thought I did, bought my first one last year and was never so glad to sell a horse than him. They are very different and sensitive. Also they need to be kept on a strict diet all year which is a pain and mine hated wind/rain. They are very trainable but hot and I would never get another one.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Sorry, missed this post. Dawn sold my ex's horse for him, four years ago now, and seemed fine to deal with for that but as Shortstuff says it's worth looking for reviews on that FB group. She seems to move on a lot of horses so I'm sure experiences will be mixed.
My experience with Dawn (looking at horses for a client) was definitely mixed......

eahotson

Visit site
Just a thought and that is all it is, have you thought about a sports type welsh D.The Welsh have a lot of Andalucian in them.Many were imported during the middle ages to improve welsh stock to make war horses.
Maesmynach stud have six very good stallions who father stock from 15.2 to 16hh.They all compete in a variety of sports at a high level and have won many awards.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think a lot depends on what type of PRE you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for the modern dressage type to be very competitive with the warmbloods, then I think it is a different very shopping exercise to the more traditional type.

We had Mimosa at Karen Manzi’s yard, Premier PRE for a while and she often has beautiful sports horses on sales livery. She owns the dressage stallion Deseado.

https://premierpre.com/

Andrea Baliarda, who is a Spanish dressage rider who has competed GP here in the UK and is based in Warwickshire is our other PRE contact. She schooled Mimosa for us and sometimes has clients and contacts with horses for sale both in the UK and around Europe. She may have one of her own for sale in the next few months too.

https://m.facebook.com/100059899874959/

We have been looking in more of the traditional category to school classically at home and to ride out on the farm but not with an aim to compete. It’s been much more difficult than I expected.

Also to add, Sam Tilley at Star Andalusians has lovely youngsters and is very helpful. She may be able to help.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if I'm a weirdo as all my Spanish horses have been no more difficult to any other horse I have had ?. But then I remember that I only ever have mares and they like things certain ways as it is so the breed makes little to no difference ?.

Although, I was on full livery for a year due to my work and my older Spanish mare got so sad about it not being me anymore that she got so skinny (never been bony in her life)! Now we are back on DIY and it is me again she has put the weight back on and is much happier. That ramble is to say they do become very 1 person horses and they tend to like who they like.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm trying so hard to sit on my hands here...but a few posters have now excluded an entire breed due to their experience with...1 horse of that breed. Which, I'm mostly fine with, you do you, and they're not for everyone (and some people, quite frankly, shouldn't own one), but it's painting with a broad brush.

Mine is ridiculously sensitive and can get hot, but my friend has 2 stallions that are sensitive, but not on my horses level, and don't know the meaning of the word hot. The things you can do with those two, they take everything in stride. They have the same sire, so just like with many other breeds, a horses bloodlines can play a role in their temperament. Their sire is known to be a lovely and easy going type.

Both Mine and the PRE stallion that he shared a field with before could live out in all weather and on grass just fine. They both ate hay and Müsli. Mine eats a fair amount of food, but he's also in work. If I didn't work him and left him on lush grass, then yes, he'd likely blow up. So would many other horses.

Finding the right trainer and farrier/trimmer is crucial. As it is with any horse, but especially these guys. It was difficult here because every horse on the yard is a warmblood, except for mine, and there are differences to be noted. Nothing "bad" just different.

Someone else (sorry, I forgot who) brought up an excellent point about the diversity of Spain. Things differ in different regions and from yard to yard. Sure there are some typical things, but best to look at the specific area and yard that your horse came from.

I find my PRE simpler to keep than my WB. He's unshod, eats a "medium" amount of feed (so not good or poor doer), and very rarely has anything notable on his physio or vet reports.

I love the breed. I'm an absolute convert. It's as if our minds meld sometimes. The sensitivity can vary and isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it and it's so useful.

eahotson

Visit site
I do love a good (or even a bad) welsh. but if OP has her heart set on a PRE they are fairly different ;)
Well yes of course.It is the OPs money and her choice absolutely and I wish her all the best .We did have two PREs in our yard though at the same time that I had my welsh and to be honest I didn't notice much difference.I have never ridden a Pre but people say that they are sensitive to the seat and my Welsh,while very quiet could be reative to an unbalanced rider.

TPO

Visit site
What @CanteringCarrot said

It's really hard on a forum to know what standpoint people are posting from.

There are people who talk the talk and say that they've done/do X, Y and Z but in reality just aren't that good at handling/training/riding. To them a certain horse might be difficult/sharp/sensitive but to others who do know what they're doing not so much ?

Ditto you're looking for something to dressage. There are plenty of people who'll say they "ride dressage" and have trained horses to X level but very little in the way of proof. I liveried beside someone who was always saying she was training her horse at advanced level. I dunno what she was doing with the unfit, fat, unbalanced horse that had no idea about contact or impulsive but it wasn't correct Advanced level dressage. But she talked a good story, had a lot of people convinced apparently and she would "prove" it but she didn't like competing because judges are so biased ?

I think that the forum is a good resource for getting a spread of opinions and experiences but it's just very hard to vet, especially when you're new to here. Best bet is to try and network with some PRE people, the show would be a good starting point, and if you're looking for a comp prospect I'm assuming you have a trainer so worthwhile to have them in the loop too.

Like CC has said there's a wide range across the breed. Some people like to perpetrate how sensitive and different they are but the exact same could be said for most breeds. If you're not familiar with the breed might be worth finding what you like (at breed show?) and looking at pedigrees to find common denominators.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine did not get the memo on the whole "brave" thing. Many talk about how brave their PRE's are but mine needs his hand held quite a bit. That's my main "gripe" with him. Due to training and experience he certainly is more brave now, but still. He's actually quite fortunate that he ended up with me, contrary to his complaints on being overworked and underpaid ?

He is, however, such a nice person.

If you want to he competitive in dressage, find one with some level of natural suspension. That has been our biggest challenge. Granted, dressage isn't very diverse where I am and our classes are almost always all Warmbloods, and then us. Occasionally I see another breed or even an Iberian, but it's rare. While mine is not super "knees everywhere" he's just... economical in his movement. Not a whole lot of air time. Creating that has been a chore and a half! Developing the extended trot and passage (early days for that) has not been easy. So we have a heck of a time competing against those floaty beasts that are often preferred here. We can be correct, but we're just not all that interesting to look at ? and here, that matters. It might not matter so much elsewhere.

Installing that "air time" has been hard and honestly, if a horse naturally has that in their way of going, that would've made my life 10x easier. However, I did not buy this horse with the intent to do much more than some hacking and very, very, basic low level dressage, but here we are, schooling higher than Advanced Medium, competing at 80cm jumpers, and flying over cross country jumps in our spare time. I just wanted to decompress a bit and have a nice basic partner after my last horse (KWPN).

If you fall in love with the horse for the horse that he/she is, then fair enough, but if budget allows I'm buying the movement next time ? if I want to be competitive. He can make it into the top placings, don't get me wrong, but just something that I've thought about.

eahotson

Visit site
What @CanteringCarrot said

It's really hard on a forum to know what standpoint people are posting from.

There are people who talk the talk and say that they've done/do X, Y and Z but in reality just aren't that good at handling/training/riding. To them a certain horse might be difficult/sharp/sensitive but to others who do know what they're doing not so much ?

Ditto you're looking for something to dressage. There are plenty of people who'll say they "ride dressage" and have trained horses to X level but very little in the way of proof. I liveried beside someone who was always saying she was training her horse at advanced level. I dunno what she was doing with the unfit, fat, unbalanced horse that had no idea about contact or impulsive but it wasn't correct Advanced level dressage. But she talked a good story, had a lot of people convinced apparently and she would "prove" it but she didn't like competing because judges are so biased ?

I think that the forum is a good resource for getting a spread of opinions and experiences but it's just very hard to vet, especially when you're new to here. Best bet is to try and network with some PRE people, the show would be a good starting point, and if you're looking for a comp prospect I'm assuming you have a trainer so worthwhile to have them in the loop too.

Like CC has said there's a wide range across the breed. Some people like to perpetrate how sensitive and different they are but the exact same could be said for most breeds. If you're not familiar with the breed might be worth finding what you like (at breed show?) and looking at pedigrees to find common denominators.
I so agree with that.I bought a Highland a breed said to be suitable for the novice,nervous or just plain inadequate.Not this one.He was sharp and he frightened me to death.Sold him and by then had my nice experienced instructor.Bought a Welsh.Everyone said that if you can't handle a Highland you will never handle a Welsh.He was an absolute sweetheart and I had him for 12 years before retiring him.
We had two Pres on our yard.One came as an unbroken Stallion.He was gelded and the yard backed him for the elderly novice owner.We all held our breathe but he was fine.The other was a little trickier I think and a mare but she was owned by novices with not much in the way of sensible backup.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My Highland is sharper and spookier than my PRE. PRE might look at things and trot a few steps, but rarely is a spook more dramatic than that. The Highland has a mean 180. He is improving, and we are just starting to hack alone, but I happily take PRE out alone (in hand, as she's not backed yet) because I'm pretty sure that she isn't going to panic over anything and create a situation.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
there is such variety in individuals. I have a sharp spooky welsh. a sharp spooky KWPN. both have equal talent for pointless drama as the PRE i rode for a few years. others in those respective breeds are more laid back and useful. I don't think there's a great deal to be gained by perpetuating stereotypes... the common denominator between my 3 examples is poor handling/training in their earlier life.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I will repeat the observation that Iberian horses are not for everyone. They are of course as individual in their characters as any other horse, but the characteristic intelligence, desire to please and tendency to worry if they get things wrong or don't understand can be unsettling for many riders. I have had many, many Spanish horses through my hands that have been passed on by riders that were unable to get along with them.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My Shire-TBx was so damned neurotic that I probably don't find the "characteristic intelligence, desire to please and tendency to worry if they get things wrong" to be terribly out there or different or difficult. Outwith Hermosa's total freak out immediately after foaling anyway.

And my ridicuous Highland takes all of that to an extreme, though he is an improving picture now that I've had him for a year and he's got his head around his job and what I want from him.

littleshetland

Visit site
I will repeat the observation that Iberian horses are not for everyone. They are of course as individual in their characters as any other horse, but the characteristic intelligence, desire to please and tendency to worry if they get things wrong or don't understand can be unsettling for many riders. I have had many, many Spanish horses through my hands that have been passed on by riders that were unable to get along with them.
Absolutely this ^^ Although my experience of PREs is limited to owning just one, this is very typical of his behaviour. He gets very stressed if he's unable to understand a 'question' I may have asked him. Consistency is essential for all riding, but never more so than with my current boy. Talking to others who have Iberians, they say the same thing too.

shortstuff99

Visit site
Absolutely this ^^ Although my experience of PREs is limited to owning just one, this is very typical of his behaviour. He gets very stressed if he's unable to understand a 'question' I may have asked him. Consistency is essential for all riding, but never more so than with my current boy. Talking to others who have Iberians, they say the same thing too.
It is still dependent on breeding lines somewhat I have found. The older more traditional, bullfighting lines definitely don't enjoy mixed signals and bad riding.

The more modern, sport lines can be much more forgiving.

GreyDot

Visit site

If you fall in love with the horse for the horse that he/she is, then fair enough, but if budget allows I'm buying the movement next time ? if I want to be competitive. He can make it into the top placings, don't get me wrong, but just something that I've thought about.

This is such excellent advice (and apologies for deleting part of your post to highlight the point @CanteringCarrot )

Castano

New User
Visit site
Yes, I bought a PRE through Dawn Birks 11 years ago. Long story but it ended up in Small Claims Court, which she lost. She had had several CCJs against her previously. My experience of Dawn was that she was brilliant until after sale, then it became very messy. I do hope she changed for the better, maybe all is good these days.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, I bought a PRE through Dawn Birks 11 years ago. Long story but it ended up in Small Claims Court, which she lost. She had had several CCJs against her previously. My experience of Dawn was that she was brilliant until after sale, then it became very messy. I do hope she changed for the better, maybe all is good these days.
My client's experience was similar, but without the SCC.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I've had three anda pre x Welsh. They were all fairly easy to do I thought. One came from Belgium, one from Spain, and two from Wales. I found the partbred the most sensitive to ride. I'm not really a dressage person i tend to show and do a but of everything.
There's nothing quite like a pre (and I do love my welsh). Intelligent, trainable, willing and fairly one person (at lEast the ones I've had). Once they bond with you they will give you their all and do anything for you. My best horse I've ever owned was a late cut PRE. Current mare gets a bit obsessed with the stallion in the summer but I just move her far enough away. All mine have lived out, rugged when needed