This is going to be so hard. How much for Joe?

mini-eventer

Visit site
I know someone looking who I would sell mine to in a heart beat. However he might be a bit green - she is an older lady but very experienced looking for a quieter life dressage and hacking. However if he is genuine and straight forward she may consider something younger. Once he is up for sale please pm me an advert and I will pass it on. He would want for nothing and she would pay a fair price.

Trouper

Visit site
I'm so sorry you have had to come to this decision but quite understand. Being a few years further down the line from you I have had to accept the next stage - that horse-owning days are over - and I still fight that decision every time one passes by the gate!!
BUT - I am with others who say just take your foot off the accelerator a bit and think of moving him with Ludo for a short period. You have a huge amount going on in your life just now and those are the times that making a decision, when you are harassed by a million other things, is not always the right one. I am not talking about keeping him - I fully understand he needs to move on - but the manner of his moving might be easier/better for you when the chaos of the house move is over and you can concentrate just on him. And who knows, the Somerford network might just be able to help you find the perfect home for him.
I do feel for you. Be kind to yourself.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm very sorry you are in a position where he has to go ?. My thought though would be if you took him to Somerford with Ludo and brought him on a little bit, a horse that could be sold able to be tried by taking him round Somerford would put more than the cost of his keep on the price.

Tarragon

Visit site
Sorry to hear this YCBM - I thought there was something special about him when you posted about buying him in the first place! You have done your bit to make sure that he has a successful future by seeing his potential in the first place, and then by adding some super basic foundations, so that he is now ready for someone to take on and start. Whatever happens next, I am sure he will be fine xxx

WispyBegs

Visit site
Such a tough decision to make, really feel for you.

I am sure you will have a huge line of people looking for a horse like Joe and you’ll be able to be very picky about where he goes!

(when/or if he does get listed for sale I would love to have some more info/link to the ad as I think he’d be just what I’m looking for)

Birker2020

Visit site
I have to be realistic. I can't pay £8k a year to keep Joe in livery with Ludo. I can't manage 2 when they aren't outside the door. A loan is not going to work for many reasons. Please, please, don't try to suggest ways I can keep him, I've thought through them all and it's not right for him, or me.

So.

What's he worth?

A mongrel with no breeding, clearly partly heavy, going to end up about 15.2 but with a huge barrel, depth through the girth, short clean legs at each corner, straight, who will, I'm sure, carry 12 -13st all day hunting when he's mature. ETA [when mature, I would expect that] Dad could hunt him, he'll eat a 20 mile pleasure ride with Mum, and do a BE 90 with the teenager. Sweet, kind, gentle lovely character. BUT only 4, barely broken, though I might be able to do more with him by the time I lose my land.

This is a VERY sad decision, rubbing salt in the wound of moving from a home that has been my dream for over 30 years. Please stay away from the thread if you can't be kind.
No idea, but just wanted to say sorry you are in this situation. I may be in this position with Lari if it doesn't work out and he's too much for me. It sucks when you have fallen for them. x

Coblette

Visit site
I can imagine this is an incredibly hard & sad time. Sorry you are having to make this decision. I know you said you can’t face a private sale but I’d be genuinely interested when the time comes, I keep mine at home. I’d give my right arm to buy a horse from someone like you! PM me for a chat if you do change your mind :)

maya2008

Visit site
Horses are selling within days, and even a just backed 4yo 11.2hh is currently worth £2k or thereabouts, so Joe is definitely worth quite a bit! Just look at prices of similar horses the week you need to sell him, and pop him on Facebook/selling sites. He’ll be gone in a day or two. House sales can drag on, especially if you get stuck in a chain, so it might be a good while before you actually need to sell him.

Nicnac

Visit site
He sounds lovely. The market is really weird at the moment, especially around the mid to high 4 figures. 4 years olds aren't popular but 5+ are as long as they are saints. People seem to be wary of too cheap and the ones who want cheap, I wouldn't sell to. I have a lovely youngster on the market. Smart, scopey, won his first intro and went clear at his first show at 70 last week. Flew 90/100cm fences XC schooling including water and ditches. He hacks out beautifully alone or in company BUT he is young and can spook in the school. Not nasty - just green. He is 'whizzy'. The number of 'idiots' who have viewed, ridden, jumped and hacked him where he hasn't put a foot wrong but his canter isn't established as he doesn't have the strength to work in canter in the school for a long period so say "he's too green and actually I don't think a youngster is for me".

Dealer may be the best way or the Somerford idea. Sorry to hear you can't keep him, but sensible decision.

Annagain

Visit site
If you don't mind what you get for him, could you find him someone really young and talented who would love a career in horses but who doesn't have the funds to get going? Maybe someone who has an opportunity to go to work for a pro and take a horse with them? They could produce him either for themselves (I suspect he'd be too small long term) or to sell in a year or so to help them fund the next one. It would give him the best chance of a long term home and you could then either take a nominal share in the next one or re-coup your original £1200 at this stage, and because you're doing them a favour they would have to wait for the right moment for you to take him.

Maybe your local pony club or riding club could suggest someone really talented who just needs a hand to take that first step? Imagine in 10 years time being responsible for kickstarting the career of a top rider!

Last edited:

YoLaTango

Visit site
I have zero advice on price. But I am sending good thoughts and vibes that you find the right price and person. Someone who will love your boy and send photos and videos regularly.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. I posted as much to force myself to face up to the situation as anything. Your support has been really great, thank you.

I can't face a private sale with everything else going on, so I'll probably offer him to a local dealer I know who friends of mine buy from, who buys unbroken, breaks and sells.

I know there will be people who will judge me for not working at finding the best home for him myself, but they aren't living my life.
People always judge on this forum but it doesn't mean you have to listen. You do what you feel is right.

abbijay

Visit site
Thank you Bonny. I don't need the money, the house is going to release an insane amount of money, I am so lucky.

Honestly, if I could give him to someone who deserves him, I would but I have no idea how to find that person.
I might know a perfect localish home if you were interested... He'd have a job and I can vouch for them 100%.
SOrry you're having to go through this though, I'm sure you'll find a great life for him.

Rosemary28

Visit site
I'm so sorry you're in this situation ycbm. Joe looks fab and just what I would want if I was fitter and less rusty (although I'd love to have a crack at driving him!)

dorsetladette

Visit site
Oh YCBM I really feel for you. Be kind on your self, your doing what's right for both you and Joe.

price wise, my friend sold a 3 yr old, just backed and lightly hacking in company 15.2ish ID x with god only knows, with a terrible arrogant attitude for 5k so I think you could easily ask for more. And as you describe him as such a lovely 'person' he should easily find a good home.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I am defo no expert but I would say 6k minimum. Temperament counts for so much and if I was in the market to buy another horse, he is just the sort I would go for! (well, I wouldn't go for a youngster in my case but aside from that)... Leg in each corner, I love his old-fashioned/workmanlike head, not too big, not too small, just a practical sort who sounds like he would be someone's friend for many, many years.

I'm not up to date on things on the forum and am sorry to hear that you need to give him up, but I am confident that you will find a fabulous home for him.

Marigold4

Visit site
Don’t feel guilty for sending him away to sell rather than doing it yourself. You’re actually doing him a kindness, such a big house move will be a huge stress for you and chances are you wouldn’t be able to give selling him your full attention. This way he goes to someone with an ideal set up and who sounds like they are well known to you so assuming you trust their judgment and experience.

No idea on price because unless it’s 14.2 and under, filthy grey and a connie I’m not interested ?. Thinking of you ❤️

Ha, Ha. Me too. I tried to wean myself off connies with a warmblood but he's useless, so I have just bought a 14.2 dirty grey connie and am busy backing him - feels like coming home!

Cherryblossom

Visit site
I’m another one who’s very sorry to hear this. I was on the 3/4yo thread and when my 4yo went lame, Joe was one of my favourites to watch; probably as his attitude reminded me of my mare! I think you’ve given him such a fantastic start and he’s highly likely to make someone very happy for a very long time!