this is just about the most arrogant piece I have read in a long time.

paddy555

Visit site
Her most recent post (today) about the suffering of her elderly horse, I couldnt help thinking wouldnt the kindest thing to have been to made the call, his quality of life over last year hasnt sounded very good. Just because you can throw the kitchen sink at an old horse (if you are the vet owner) doesnt necesssarily mean you should).
I saw that last night, haven't read today's, and I do agree. Very very sad but I'm afraid his time has probably come.

I do find her a bit disquieting as a vet. Partly because of all the censoring and bullying over the pro riders trolling etc but more so over Harry.

I think that if I was the client and hadn't got the message I would really like the vet to be giving me a kick up the backside and asking if continuing was really in the horse's best interests. I would have called it a day at the start of his problems last week.
It says after his operation but I don't recall reading what that was. Do you know?

meleeka

Visit site
Her most recent post (today) about the suffering of her elderly horse, I couldnt help thinking wouldnt the kindest thing to have been to made the call, his quality of life over last year hasnt sounded very good. Just because you can throw the kitchen sink at an old horse (if you are the vet owner) doesnt necesssarily mean you should).

I absolutely agree with you. The worst thing about owning an oldie is the responsibility to know when it’s time, in order to prevent suffering.

@paddy555 he had colitis this time, following on from another pedal bone scrape, after his tendon injury and subsequent laminitis. This post is from March 2023 and he’s been on pen or box rest ever since. It looks like she’s just going round in circles now :(

Attachments

• IMG_4640.png
    IMG_4640.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

fairyclare

Visit site
I don’t follow her because of the condescending tripe she posts and the cult like following she has.
Just went to have a look at the post mentioned here.
Wow, and she has the front to post on her page about welfare!
I was reading that with a real hope that at the end she’d say she put an end to his misery and suffering.
She didn’t.

Managing pain with nerve blocks, sorry, that’s a no from me.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Jessica von Bredow-Werndl just posted about 5 Instagram stories of her dressage horses hacking out on a long rein, someone better tell the Facebook police quick!

We should always be trying to evolve and do better. This could be an opportunity for Lottie to look critically at that test and review how these horses are currently being managed and trained.

Top riders are always in the spotlight for good and for bad. Having a big social media presence means you choose to put that spotlight on yourself.

Grassy

Visit site
“110% everything she says. Complete amateurs, constantly criticising and trolling the professionals, is WRONG. It seems the entire amateur world has jumped on the “behind the vertical” bandwagon, simply because most of them can’t get a horse to work with its nose anywhere other than poking into the sky. If you don’t ride at the level you are critiquing, then THINK very carefully about whether you actually know what on earth you are talking about. Dressage is never going to be “bitless”, and it’s not about going around with your horse poking its nose. There are REAL PEOPLE behind the combinations you are bashing on social media.”

So, I thought, as a lowly amateur that it wasn’t about the “nose poking into the sky” but that if the horse was working from behind into a soft, forward contact that it drops onto the bridle? So, the back end is what you should be concentrating on?! An iron grip in medium trot = wrong, & if a giant horse is super talented & the rider is experienced & not an amateur, why is it stopping at 70cm? & why are its front legs dangling down like a massive spider?

But as a clueless amateur, I don’t know the answer to these questions ….

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Jessica von Bredow-Werndl just posted about 5 Instagram stories of her dressage horses hacking out on a long rein, someone better tell the Facebook police quick!

We should always be trying to evolve and do better. This could be an opportunity for Lottie to look critically at that test and review how these horses are currently being managed and trained.

Top riders are always in the spotlight for good and for bad. Having a big social media presence means you choose to put that spotlight on yourself.

This. 100%

If you're receiving a lot of backlash, maybe take a look for a second and see if the claims are warranted, and if you should make a change. Do a little self reflection. If the answer you arrive at is no, then fair enough, disregard any backlash. The end.

Having a big social media presence or being in the spotlight in general, means that you've chosen to put yourself out there. It doesn't take a genius to see that whether you're an Equestrian, heavy metal band, or chef, if you have a large presence you're going to have your fans and critics. I'm 100% sure that there are mental health resources that are available to help one cope with fame and critics. Or, if it's just not for you, then lead a quieter life.

Yeah, people could be a bit less rabid, but I don't like when people essentially claim that nothing bad or negative should be said at all.

If you have a large group saying the same things, whether good or bad, you can look at that and consider that the statement of the masses may be legit. If it's just BS, make a simple statement, then ignore it and move on with your life then 🤷🏼‍♀️

Some people love feeding the trolls and any publicly is good publicity.

There's also this reoccurring trend across multiple platforms of not taking any form of personal responsibility. It's always on someone else. 🙄

southerncomfort

Visit site

I recall Karl Greenwood saying something along the lines of, if you can hack your horse out on the buckle then you should consider yourself an excellent rider with a very well trained horse. This was in response to some riders feeling that they couldn't be considered a good rider because they don't compete.

(Would love it if someone could find the actual quote!)

paddy555

Visit site
I absolutely agree with you. The worst thing about owning an oldie is the responsibility to know when it’s time, in order to prevent suffering.

@paddy555 he had colitis this time, following on from another pedal bone scrape, after his tendon injury and subsequent laminitis. This post is from March 2023 and he’s been on pen or box rest ever since. It looks like she’s just going round in circles now :(
thanks

I do feel for anyone in this position, been there and most definitely got the T shirt, but sometimes you just have to say that is enough and do it now, instantly , without thinking any more about it.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I think one of the best pieces of advice I've come across was to not allow oneself to be impressed by someone "managing" a difficult horse, as good horsemen have horses that are easy to manage.
Obviously that's not to say that anyone who has difficult periods with their horse is a bad horseman, but if they've had the horse for a while and he's no better behaved than when they started, it's not a good advert!

marmalade76

Visit site
I think it depends what SM you are looking at - my eldest has tiktok and the comments that flood practically every rider's video along with even the FEI are quite clearly very novice but the sheer volume is damaging. Instagram is also pretty bad for it in my opinion.

Perhaps the answer is to avoid these platforms 🤷‍♀️

meleeka

Visit site
thanks

I do feel for anyone in this position, been there and most definitely got the T shirt, but sometimes you just have to say that is enough and do it now, instantly , without thinking any more about it.

Obviously she is also a horse owner, but if a vet can’t make a decision on what’s best for the horse, I would question how good a vet they are. I wonder if she’s as indecisive with her clients horses when the owner needs guidance?

It’s an incredibly hard decision, but most of us would say that if you have to nerve block to ease pain, it’s probably time.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I often think it takes far more skill to get horses out hacking safely with traffic and other various hazards you have no control of than mincing about in the confines of a safe sandpit.

This is why I don't get when people say, "oh, they're just a happy hacker" or "they are only a trail rider" in a derogatory way, because honestly, my most stressful and/or dangerous situations have happened outside of the school! Those situations required skill.

Hacking isn't so easy! You never really know what you might encounter and you're in the wide open. So many more variables.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think the one bit we’re missing is say how Lottie felt about the test, she might well feel the same about the halt score as everyone else. I’d actually presume riders are picking their own tests apart way more than any observers are given you’ve got to be quite perfectionist to pick dressage as your life.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do think the one bit we’re missing is say how Lottie felt about the test, she might well feel the same about the halt score as everyone else. I’d actually presume riders are picking their own tests apart way more than any observers are given you’ve got to be quite perfectionist to pick dressage as your life.
I did point this out further up the thread.
It’s the judging that is curious bit for me .

cauda equina

Visit site
This is NM on the subject of overweight riders
Apparently they are fair game when it comes to trolling, bullying, justified criticism or whatever you want to call it

Finally, the “mental health” issues that are frequently brought up in these discussions. It is simply not acceptable to allow horses to suffer because it helps someone’s mental health. Sorry, but it’s not. Horses can’t say, “please get off, I am struggling to carry you and my back is hurting.” Actually, they say it very obviously, but people either can’t see it, or don’t want to see it. So we need to address this animal welfare issue.

SEL

Visit site
The number of comments on said post that say it's just because people are jealous 🙄🙄

Stop putting professionals on a pedestal!
Categorically not jealous here! Too old, broken and tired to even dream of being a top dressage rider.
I often think it takes far more skill to get horses out hacking safely with traffic and other various hazards you have no control of than mincing about in the confines of a safe sandpit.
Yes!! Massively under rated.

marmalade76

Visit site
I think one of the best pieces of advice I've come across was to not allow oneself to be impressed by someone "managing" a difficult horse, as good horsemen have horses that are easy to manage.
Obviously that's not to say that anyone who has difficult periods with their horse is a bad horseman, but if they've had the horse for a while and he's no better behaved than when they started, it's not a good advert!

IME horses that were in or had been in professional yards were the best behaved, had the best manners, were the most reliable - polo ponies, hunt horses, show horses, eventers & SJers.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
some of us had the sense to keep our heads down before they got chopped off. 🤣🤣🤣 realised that everything head honcho says must be correct therefore agree. Those are the rules with a cult!!!
(I didn't comment)
Oh, I have sense... but her response to an old friend of mine was more than comedy gold... so my damned fingers went to work...

I've just found out she binned a client of hers, a YO, uses her nickname on faceache. That's one yard I know she'll be banned from now lol, at least 5 clients there too!!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Obviously she is also a horse owner, but if a vet can’t make a decision on what’s best for the horse, I would question how good a vet they are. I wonder if she’s as indecisive with her clients horses when the owner needs guidance?

It’s an incredibly hard decision, but most of us would say that if you have to nerve block to ease pain, it’s probably time.
I followed her for a while as was intrigued by the relationship she had with neighbours and how she dealt with living/keeping horses next door to the people that she thinks burnt her property down.

I stopped watching when I started to realise she might be operating (and prescribing potentially) on her own horses and the elderly one (IMHO) should have been PTS some time ago. I get that she is a qualified vet but surely you need an objective point of view when making decisions about the welfare of animals. I mean I don't believe a Dr can be a GP for a family member or a surgeon can't operate on his/her mother for example.

IMHO her ponies spend far to much time stabled and are fed incorrectly for their lifestyle/workload - the horrendous behaviour shown on her videos of them on the lunge is enough evidence (backed up with endless photos of stabled horses pulling faces) for me to base my opinion - which I'm entitled too (last time I checked anyway).

I also was shocked by the way she spoke about lower level dressage riders then went out and did a walk and trot test at a local venue looking decidedly average. I'm not a basher of anyone who has a go and my riding is rusty at best, I don't bash anyone's riding so don't expect to be judged in return. If you put it out there you have to expect to get it back or at least live up to your own standards.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Have I got this wrong? I am just looking through this vet's page and one post mentions a tan colour office chair her parents bought for her a year ago (her 23rd birthday). Further down a post congratulating herself on what a superb and second to none practice hers is and she set up her practice 13 years ago. How has she managed to qualify at just ten years of age? What is the length of time studying in the UK to become a qualified vet? 🤔

dorsetladette

Visit site
Have I got this wrong? I am just looking through this vet's page and one post mentions a tan colour office chair her parents bought for her a year ago (her 23rd birthday). Further down a post congratulating herself on what a superb and second to none practice hers is and she set up her practice 13 years ago. How has she managed to qualify at just ten years of age? What is the length of time studying in the UK to become a qualified vet? 🤔

I think she was telling porky pies about being 23.
Can vets treat their own animals? Medical doctors can't treat themselves/family.

I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem right to me.

lizziebell

Visit site
I followed her for a while as was intrigued by the relationship she had with neighbours and how she dealt with living/keeping horses next door to the people that she thinks burnt her property down.
Many of us have had neighbours from hell - but there are always two sides to a story and I do wander from her general attitude, what she may have done to provoke such strong reactions from her neighbours.