Today's session lists of progress

Allover

Visit site
Most of the page is about LDR... so much so that it is entitled low deep and round on my google tab! and most of the photos included are of other dressage riders as far as I can tell???

I saw loads of pictures but most of the writing was in Danish (I think). I found a small bit in English talking about the riders hands but that's it. Am I being really stupid? Help me!!!!!! :)

Edited to say that I did use the button to convert to English language but then I could only find past hoses and horses to be sold?!

Allover

Visit site
I used google translate on this page (no need to click anywhere else).

http://www.scandinavian-dressage.com/uk/DRF.html

try again ;)

Thank you, I have never used a website translation page before:)

I got to the bit where she put up some examples of a good dressage frame and decided enough was enough. Ultimately I will never agree with this Ethos of training. It completely ignores the needs of the horse and I have explained why in previous posts.

At least we have Charlotte Dujardin. Is she an advocate of Rollkur because her tests keep getting better? :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
At the beginning of today's session she does ride him in a more correct frame, and as a combination she and Armas seem to be able to maintain that nice frame with lovely movement while trotting nice and easily around the arena. But when she asks for more/something different you very quickly get the very high, 'advanced' shaped neck and Armas gets very strong. I genuinely believe that that is partly due to Armas being ridden into that kind of frame in the past, and I also think that it is partly due to the fact that he seems to be sensitive, panicky and naturally eager to please so he tenses up very quickly in response to the rider's aids. But I also believe that at times the rider exasperates the problem.

I don't think the rider exactly knows how to deal with this, which is why she has chosen to focus on other stuff - primarily the engagement of the back end. But I also think that, ultimately that focus is a false economy, because Armas' conformation will always allow him to tuck his back end right underneath him, while still holding his head very high and being hollow through the back.

I probably should have written this on the new thread but it seemed to fit in with the discussion on this one :)

Typo correction in red - sorry I should have read through before :eek:

Auslander

Visit site
I had a read through the website and could find nothing on LDR?

With regards to the picture shown that again is not a bodily position I would want a horse I was riding to be in. If we look only at the head we can see he is BTV but if we move further along the body you can also see that his back is not engaged. In fact there are very few photos on that website where the horses are not BTV. I would presume that she has put the best of her pics on this website so again presume that this is a normal way of working for her horses. A knowledge of bio-mechanics will help you understand why this is detrimental to the horses physical being.

It all about LDR! Thanks for your response - all points noted, and considered! I find that warming up in this position, just asking or them to be forward, soft and light, does result in a horse who is nice and soft and stretchy. I'm no biomechanics expert admittedly,but I know that I feel good after I've stretched the back of my neck and shoulders - and this is what I try to achieve from whichever horse I'm riding, before asking for collection and engagement.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Out of interest, how many sessions a week do you have with this trainer? He looked tense and uncomfortable today, maybe he's being pushed too hard too soon? After all, slow and steady wins the race.

Fellewell

Visit site
Joan_of_Arc_on_horseback.png

I found this picture of A French girl on an Iberian horse and she's being annoyed by the English.
Do you suppose she and the saintly Virginie are somehow related?

Allover

Visit site
Another good explanation of how correctly used LDR can benefit here - from the master himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbk7HWtQWbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rJras7vQQ

Where there is overbending there is tension.

http://www.sustainabledressage.net/rollkur/work_stretch.php. This page is interesting. For me this is the correct way to stretch a horse before and after collected work. It makes an incredible difference to the movement of the horse and is really good for relaxation and has huge benefits for sharp horses. Because we tend to "hang on" to a horse that is forward going and can be guilty of not riding forward enough we educate the horse to be reliant on us to find his balance for him. This method of low work allows the horse to find his own balance and this builds confidence - its a win win situation :) It is also excellent in helping the rider find an "independent" seat and develop good hands.

I liked his comment about the SJers.

Last edited: