Tokyo Showjumping thread

Nicnac

Visit site
Pity Bertram didn't pat his horse either. Is it that there's so much money in SJ compared to other equestrian disciplines the horses are but machines or ?

NinjaPony

Visit site
I often wonder that with some riders having a high turnover of top horses, they just don’t get particularly attached. Just from viewing there does seem to be a slightly different attitude from some of the top SJs to say the dressage riders who have had the same horse all the way up the levels.

I also think due to the difficulty and height of the fences it will never look as smooth as eventing SJ, but would prefer to see less yanking that I’ve seen so far….

Kat

Visit site
I hate this criticism of riders for not patting their horses. I once got a snotty comment about it on a dressage sheet. Just because someone doesn't give their horse a massive slap on the neck doesn't mean that they aren't praising and rewarding their horse.

They may have spoken to it, or given them a scratch, or stroke or they may wait until they get out of the ring because they are still "in the zone". Lots of these horses are really hot and could still have a moment leaving the ring.

Nicnac

Visit site
I wouldnt read too much in to a pat you may or may not have missed!

I bow to your superior knowledge when it comes to show jumping. Not a fan as you probably have surmised. Although I do like this one - the Lolloper as Lucinda says. Lovely.

piebaldproblems

Visit site
I'm going to play spot the canvesson. There are too many tight flash/grackle nosebands. I appreciate a degree of control is needed but softer hands mean less pulling or yanking about.
Quite a few of these horses don’t look mentally capable of doing what they’re doing, definitely over the threshold. Result seems to be very strong bits, and very heavy handed riders.

Chinese horse that just went appeared to be exception to the rule.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I bow to your superior knowledge when it comes to show jumping. Not a fan as you probably have surmised. Although I do like this one - the Lolloper as Lucinda says. Lovely.
See to me his weight is on his forehand and it's making the task at hand unnecessarily hard for him.

Michen

Visit site
Fools comment but... the pure showjumpers seem to go around with their nose up and out. Eventers seem to always be "round" with the horse lifting their head a little way out of the fence, but generally in a more rounded frame.

Is there a reason for this?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Fools comment but... the pure showjumpers seem to go around with their nose up and out. Eventers seem to always be "round" with the horse lifting their head a little way out of the fence, but generally in a more rounded frame.

Is there a reason for this?
I'll be the fool that answers. The fences are far higher, the questions far more technical. They need their weight on their hocks and off the forehand to make the height. You see so many eventers bowling along and wack a sj fence out with the front end. Simply, i'd say pure sjs need to sit more to make the height.