Tokyo Showjumping thread

Michen

Visit site
You’d think eventing sjers would also need to look at the fence, they just seem to come in to it much more rounded is all.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Might just be the difference between the XC and the SJ? Presumably eventers need to keep their horses as quiet and controlled as possible, because the height of the SJ is very achievable for them compared to the XC, and the biggest issue seems to be either tiredness, carelessness or over enthusiasm? Just musing aloud, I’m not a jumper myself!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You’d think eventing sjers would also need to look at the fence, they just seem to come in to it much more rounded is all.
i think the size of the fences probably plays a huge part though, these fences are a foot + higher but the horses won't be a foot taller. I would make a punt that this is as different a sport to eventing SJ, as pure dressage is to eventing dressage.

SOS

Visit site
Completely informally and tongue in cheek, I was told eventers showjump to a rhythm and showjumpers jump to a stride. Hence the different ways in going during their courses.

I also was told when jumping to never pull their head in and to let them push their noses out to the jump and ride them into the bridle with soft hands. That’s what the pure showjumpers seem to do and the horses fly, but these horses do seriously need their head and neck to balance themselves over the humongous jumps.

Kat

Visit site
i think the size of the fences probably plays a huge part though, these fences are a foot + higher but the horses won't be a foot taller. I would make a punt that this is as different a sport to eventing SJ, as pure dressage is to eventing dressage.

I agree, they are different sports with different horses and difference considerations. We are just more used to seeing eventing on TV rather than high level show jumping which these days you tend to only see during Olympia and the Olympics.

quizzie

Visit site

Absolutely…..

Max height eventing SJ….1.30 m…below average horses eye level

Approx height of this 1.60 m?…above or at eye level….will need very different outlines

humblepie

Visit site
I love these Cornet Oblensky horses, he was such a brilliant jumper himself and has really stamped his offspring with his talent and looks.

Lol - there was a commentator whose name has currently escaped me although I used to jump against him and even had a lesson with him once who seemed to spend his whole time saying about Cornet Oblensky horses.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Completely informally and tongue in cheek, I was told eventers showjump to a rhythm and showjumpers jump to a stride. Hence the different ways in going during their courses.

I also was told when jumping to never pull their head in and to let them push their noses out to the jump and ride them into the bridle with soft hands. That’s what the pure showjumpers seem to do and the horses fly, but these horses do seriously need their head and neck to balance themselves over the humongous jumps.
I think that's a really good point! I'd agree showjumpers jump to a stride, they have to because of the questions asked of the course. The eventing sj isn't the most technical because that's not the question being asked so they can roll around in a lovely rhythm ? I'll steal your quote ?

piebaldproblems

Visit site
Another stupid question for the showjumpers on here: if it’s all about letting the horse lift their head to look and not pulling their heads down, why do all these horses have martingales?

Ossy2

Visit site
I maybe out of touch with this format can someone explain the criteria for progressing to next round? I thought a clear would automatically get you in but then I read a comment online that said about Harry’s round being clear and fast so “hopefully that would be enough to get him through”

Michen

Visit site
Another stupid question for the showjumpers on here: if it’s all about letting the horse lift their head to look and not pulling their heads down, why do all these horses have martingales?

I guess the martingale is to stop them chucking the head up to the point of being above the bit and it therefore not being effective?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think that's a really good point! I'd agree showjumpers jump to a stride, they have to because of the questions asked of the course. The eventing sj isn't the most technical because that's not the question being asked so they can roll around in a lovely rhythm ? I'll steal your quote ?
i also thought it made a lot of sense. XC rounds that are rhythmical and jumping from a rhythm are always praised as making it look easy, conserving energy and time. So if horses and riders are used to that way feeling good then you'd def apply the same to the SJ. i did my SJ training with an eventer when i was eventing and it was very much about rhythm and an even stride, it was the only way i could ride positively towards a fence , the few lessons I had with an SJer made me go to bits!

piebaldproblems

Visit site
I maybe out of touch with this format can someone explain the criteria for progressing to next round? I thought a clear would automatically get you in but then I read a comment online that said about Harry’s round being clear and fast so “hopefully that would be enough to get him through”
No expert but there’s been quite a few clears so maybe too many to have in the next round?