Tokyo Showjumping thread

ihatework

Visit site
I think bleeding profusely is a bit over exaggerated. It was certainly heavy enough to be concerning, and it’s the right thing that the horse is no longer continuing in the competition but I 100% believe Cian had no idea. I also don’t think the horses welfare was significantly compromised at that point to make it clear cut for officials to intervene.
It’s sad for Cian, and visually not what we want to see in the sport, but if it were happen again tomorrow I’m not sure I’d advocate any different outcome.
Now what it might do is kick off discussions on the blood rule and may lead to changes in what stewards need to intervene in. I’m on the fence on that but can understand why it may need to go that way.

humblepie

Visit site
On the reserve getting a medal, I don't have any idea but was odd on the cycling yesterday that where GB and another team had used 5 different cyclists in the race - a team of four in the heats and finals but swopping around - the four in the final team stood on the podium and got their medals, the fifth team member who only rode in the heats essentially got hers passed to her afterwards. She did join in the photos but not on the podium. Seemed a little strange, either you are part of the team and get a medal so go on the podium or you aren't part of the team and don't get one.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The issue with bleeds from both nostrils is that on first sight it is impossible to say if it is a serious problem or a not so serious one, therefore it should always be treated as potentially serious.

An 88 second showjumping round, on an adrenaline fuelled horse, is not enough time for either horse or rider to “feel” if the bleed is having consequential effects. The judges, however, can see what is happening, as can viewers in this case from all over the world.

The appalling practices that happen in racing are not something to brag about, IMO.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think bleeding profusely is a bit over exaggerated. It was certainly heavy enough to be concerning, and it’s the right thing that the horse is no longer continuing in the competition but I 100% believe Cian had no idea. I also don’t think the horses welfare was significantly compromised at that point to make it clear cut for officials to intervene.
It’s sad for Cian, and visually not what we want to see in the sport, but if it were happen again tomorrow I’m not sure I’d advocate any different outcome.
Now what it might do is kick off discussions on the blood rule and may lead to changes in what stewards need to intervene in. I’m on the fence on that but can understand why it may need to go that way.

Lol, love this forum. Ok bleeding sufficiently heavily to be noticeable from a distance on a small viewing screen - profusely just means a lot so I used it for shorthand. My meaning in the context that I used it in was that it was not just a spot of blood that only became apparent after the round, and it was certainly enough to be splattering.

I don't think the horse's welfare was impacted or that the rule should be changed necessarily, but yes, I do think a review of when stewards should intervene should be carried out. I often think with these things that if you would intervene in a collecting ring then you should probably intervene in the competition ring. If a horse had a nose bleed like that in a collecting ring I'm certain that someone would have let the rider know. I don't think it should be automatic elimination but I think most riders would want to know and would retire their horse if it started bleeding like that in the ring.

GreyDot

Visit site
It was bright red, bleeding profusely and there was noticeable splatter. I'm fairly sure Cian didn't notice as I would like to think he would have pulled up if he had, but him not noticing would be more likely due to the competition adrenaline than because of the physics of the situation - they are jumping 1.6m fences, not going for a stroll. Not to mention that at one point the horse snorted heavily to expel some of the blood from his nose because presumably it was affecting his breathing.

As much as I was hoping for some Irish success in the Showjumping I am glad that they picked up a time fault and didn't get through, and that the horse has subsequently been withdrawn, because the optics of letting it continue after that are not what equestrian sport needs right now, particularly not on the biggest world stage.

Totally agree. It was there long enough for me to be yelling at the screen that there was blood and why was no-one intervening.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Another day of jumping ?

19 teams competing and 10 teams to qualify for tomorrows final so we're going to see some teams go through with faults...

Everyone ready? ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another day of jumping ?

19 teams competing and 10 teams to qualify for tomorrows final so we're going to see some teams go through with faults...

Everyone ready? ?
just gearing up with the modern pentathlon SJ :p the proper SJers are going to look absolutely stunning after this!

Kadastorm

Visit site
Only just heard that Scott is out and Harry is in.

please don’t shoot me guys but I don’t have much faith in GB for the teams ?

I do really like Holly but I saw her and Denver in the Nations Cup and didn’t go much on them. I know they have saved him so he may surprise me.

maybe the day off has done Romeo some good but today doesnt look to be that challenging so what will happen tomorrow?

they may surprise me and I do hope so, I would quite happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong and would love to!

Kat

Visit site
Lovely comment from Lucinda about the size of the fences. If she thinks they are massive and scary that says a lot!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Kadastorm, unfortunately I'm with you but also hope I'm wrong.
Anything can happen and yes we should qualify but after that I'm not so sure.
Had it been Scott, Ben and Holly we'd have been the favourites but to me I really felt Harry (understandably) struggled under the pressure in his first round on Tuesday. He went clear but watching it I thought it could have fallen apart at any time and then Wednesday it did.

Just a gut feeling and hope I'm proven wrong!

Kat

Visit site
I think the Swedes have got to be the favourites after their performance earlier in the week.

I'm not sure about the other teams, but I agree the loss of Scott and Jefferson does massively affect our chances. Harry looked good in the first round but really struggled in the second.

It is a slightly odd team really, Harry did a great job but have we really got the best three combinations available to us in Tokyo?

Kat

Visit site
This will be interesting, the Irish were looking strong but obviously the loss of Cian will be a concern, this is the replacement.