Totally insignificant horsey pet hate

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
(dressing bridles)

If we didn't do this, we'd be constantly tripping up and de-tangling bridles. A small price to pay to keep order in the tackroom!

Our tackrooms have saddle and bridle hangers on the wall. It can get a bit cluttered if there is a gogue or a martingale, as they are a bit close together, but it keeps everything neat and off the floor.

V30313.jpg

5-296515.jpg

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
People that pick off bits of round bales. Not only does it look like a burst couch but it takes forever to actually get a decent amount off as it's been picked into layers upon layers at the top and the outer layer is still on the bottom half!

Gah. Infuriates me every day.

Husband and I do this deliberately with our round bale haylage - we find it "magically" lasts longer that way. Nothing at all to do with making it too much effort for the resident light fingered haylage gremlins to help themselves, oh no.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh yes, that drives me MAD! People are always "helpfully" putting my bridles away that way (the traditional way), whereas I like to be able to pick my bridles off the hook without having to undo everything before putting it on.

I have to say, it's a taught habit that I have only recently dropped. I used to do the full figure of eight with the throat lash round the whole bridle, then just looped through reins, and then found myself wondering why I even did that.

It's sensible if you're likely to be carrying 4 or more bridles at once but not really necessary for me with my one ridden horse

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
My pet hate is experienced adults who should know better palming off frankly dangerous horses or ponies onto terminally horse mad teenagers and other such novices by utilising the "Gosh, what a special magical bond the two of you seem to have!" approach. It's all unicorns and rainbows until somebody ends up breaking their neck!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Really we should be more tolerant of each other but
...leaving dry feed that should be soaked in bags or buckets on the yard - just takes one escapee - there is a secure feedroom - please leave it in there!

If I've understood the problem here, I wouldn't call it insignificant at all.

At a guess, the danger is that a horse gets out into the yard and starts greedily eating the dry food that then swells when it gets into the animal's stomach.

I'd put this on a level with people who leave a hayfork in the barrow, with the tines pointing upwards!

holeymoley

Visit site
Really we should be more tolerant of each other but
...leaving dry feed that should be soaked in bags or buckets on the yard - just takes one escapee - there is a secure feedroom - please leave it in there!

I'm afraid I'd be shifting it out the way or into the feed room if I seen anything like that :( and if they asked why or where t was they'd be politely getting told the raw truth of what could happen and that they could foot the vets bill!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
headcollars which arnt properly fastened the buckle should be done up properly not only haslf way.

It used to be my bugbear... but now...

I never do them up - people that work with colts and youngsters, you'll know why... when you're faffing trying to undo a buckle while there's an emergency on your hands involving young horses, you would never do up a buckle again.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
dressing a bridle also seems a pointless exercise for my needs anyway but I could understand it if you had reams and reams of leather to organise... a bit overkill for just a cavesson and a set of reins.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

I never do them up - people that work with colts and youngsters, you'll know why... when you're faffing trying to undo a buckle while there's an emergency on your hands involving young horses, you would never do up a buckle again.

Headcollars? Hardly use them (only for farrier day and the like) and I get v antsy if others 'put them up' including coiling the damned ropes a la bhs fashion. If I need to grab a headcollar, then its a rush job and I don't want spiral ropes and then buckles to undo!

I also have spare ropes hanging outside my haybarn, so easy to grab if required to lasso something, even the dog! :)

I don't put up my bridles these days, there is only me, so its no drama - and I used to get pee'd off with those who also put martingales onto the hanging pile off the throatlash (as often I'd use a martingale with a bridle requiring 2 pairs of reins) - stretches the leather and pulls stitching.

I sweep my yard when I want (and before important visitors if time), tho my muck heap is ALWAYS left spit spot tidy :D

Visit site

Head collars are over rated! Just point and aim or grab the beast by mane and drag!

claireandnadia

Visit site
Head collars are over rated! Just point and aim or grab the beast by mane and drag!

When the farmer has a PRIZE lawn outside his house but on the stable yard, no head-collars is NOT the way forward as every single one of us has found out the hard way that the grass on that immaculate patch looks very tasty indeed.

Embo

Visit site
Sorry anti-bridle 'dressers', I'm afraid I do this each and every time I ride, with my bridle that has only one set of reins and a simple cavesson!

I just like it, neat and tidy. No other reason :)

Guess who had to switch off all the lights and lock the feed room and tack room again the other evening even though I had been nowhere near either :mad:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
People who insist on a correct way of doing something but then, when questioned, can't tell you why it is the correct way.
Other than that I let the insignificant stuff pass over me.
Biggest pet hate is fat horses but that is not insignificant in my book.

BethanT

Visit site
Probably not insignificant, but people who don't put mucking out tools away in the correct place, instead choosing to leave them outside stables! Grrrr.

RE. dressing bridles, I too also put my throat lash through my reins, then put my bridle in a bridle bag. But then the yard tack rooms gets a bit messy, and some people are a bit careless with other people's belongings. The bridle also cost as much as the blinkin horse it's on too! :O

But my real insignificant bug bear is people insistign on wearing matching boots to fly veils & saddle pads. Just WHY?! They then take up soooooo much room LOL.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Why would you use un-matching saddle pads & ear veils though?! :D I take my tack home though, so I'm not taking up space in a communal tack room.

I put my bridle in a bridle bag so still dress it but don't do up the buckles.

One of my current biggest bug bear is people that leave their horses tied up unattended whilst they spend the next two hours nowhere remotely near their horse. I'll just try to get my horse past yours whilst it's ears are pinned back & it's trying to kick or rescue it when it's got itself stuck, shall I?!

LadySam

Visit site
Using the word "ménage" to describe a place where you ride your horse. Or a place that you want have built, so you can ride your horse there.

It's "manège"; it's not hard to pronounce or to remember.

ARRGH! YES! THIS VERY THING! TELL ALL THE REAL ESTATE AGENTS!

Also, not putting away tools like wheelbarrows and forks. It's not only unsightly, it's unsafe.