Totilas

oldvic

Visit site
The point about Rembrandt is not about his size/type but about his temperament and athletisism. He was very spooky and NU found that by riding him very round she could reduce the evasion. In my experience, with a horse of this type there is a very fine balance as to how sensitive to the aids he needs to be. Reactive enough to perform the movements easily and willingly but not so sharp off the aids that they run from the aids and the rider is unable to hold the horse with leg and seat and give him some security (rather like an event horse). There are some horses that need the strength of a man to perform at their optimum as, by nature, they are slow to react however much training they have. There are others much more suited to a girl riding with guile and technique and a soft touch. All horses are different and need to be ridden to cater for their individual characteristics and talents. Some strength is needed with a selection of horses. Lee Pearson is an immense talent and can only be admired but there are some horses that he wouldn't try to train.

oldvic

Visit site
Umm, okay, but I don't think that's quite the same as a horse lifting in front, lightening the forehand because it is carrying itself better, etc... iykwim...

The horse lifting in front and improving his self carriage comes from increasing the engagement of the hind legs. With some horses it helps to have strong seat and legs to achieve this and may well involve less force than a weaker rider trying to get reactions that they can't quite manage.

kerilli

Visit site
The point about Rembrandt is not about his size/type but about his temperament and athletisism. He was very spooky and NU found that by riding him very round she could reduce the evasion. In my experience, with a horse of this type there is a very fine balance as to how sensitive to the aids he needs to be. Reactive enough to perform the movements easily and willingly but not so sharp off the aids that they run from the aids and the rider is unable to hold the horse with leg and seat and give him some security (rather like an event horse). There are some horses that need the strength of a man to perform at their optimum as, by nature, they are slow to react however much training they have. There are others much more suited to a girl riding with guile and technique and a soft touch. All horses are different and need to be ridden to cater for their individual characteristics and talents. Some strength is needed with a selection of horses. Lee Pearson is an immense talent and can only be admired but there are some horses that he wouldn't try to train.

The horse lifting in front and improving his self carriage comes from increasing the engagement of the hind legs. With some horses it helps to have strong seat and legs to achieve this and may well involve less force than a weaker rider trying to get reactions that they can't quite manage.

Ah, right, I see what you mean. Thankyou. I think I was being too much of a fluffy idealist about it. (the only GP horse i've ever ridden - from 1 of the top yards in Europe - did not require much strength at all, and i got on fine with him - once i worked out how to get him into canter! very embarrassing till i did...)

Peer, I can only watch the Isabell one, the other requires membership. Yes, she's working the horse very deep. I've already said up there that deep in a snaffle doesn't bother me as much as deep in a double with curb being used strongly. Maybe that's an error in my brain or something...

Last edited:

oldvic

Visit site
Not so much fluffy but maybe idealist! Theory is only part of training horses and I think I am really referring to the ones that don't necessarily conform to the rules which are the ones that are so fascinating. If they all had read the book and followed the rules then we would be poorer and it would really be quite dull!

tristar

Visit site
i. werth when riding in the video is constantly pulling the inside rein, her elbow goes behind her body line, the horse is jabbed with spurs, the rein contact in the rein back is too strong, the horse when walking on a looser rein does not take the contact forward and down as would be expected, i find her body posture in the earlier part very poor, she does not support her weight and help the horse.

words fail me

Booboos

Visit site
Umm, okay, but I don't think that's quite the same as a horse lifting in front, lightening the forehand because it is carrying itself better, etc... iykwim...

There are many, many ways to train a horse, but in this case it did make it a lot easier for the horse to lift, because the rider could lift the back under the saddle and combined with a strong leg which made the horse active from behind this rider made a huge difference to the horse's way of going. Some riders literally use their lower legs and seats to lift the back of the horse under them.

Booboos

Visit site
I can also only see the first vid. Very strong riding, she uses her hands a lot, both inside and at times outside, but also the horse is nowhere near forward enough, the canter is at times 4-beat it seems to me. This is rollkur, right? I don't think anyone would question that, but just thought I'd say it! :) And it's not very well ridden rollkur due to the lack of impulsion at times.

Peer

Visit site
I can also only see the first vid. Very strong riding, she uses her hands a lot, both inside and at times outside, but also the horse is nowhere near forward enough, the canter is at times 4-beat it seems to me. This is rollkur, right? I don't think anyone would question that, but just thought I'd say it! :) And it's not very well ridden rollkur due to the lack of impulsion at times.

The next videos shows Nicole and Isabell training at Aachen 1995 and Heike Kemmer at Dresden.

http://www.topdressage.tv/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=5050

Peer

Visit site
These videos shows that this whole LDR thing is already existing since they introduced competitive dressage. Today it is LDR, in the 1980's it was bamboo sticks, iron rings or chains around the legs of the horses and in extreme circumstances electric gadgets. When I was working and training in the 1980's for some REITMEISTERS in Germany I have seen it all. Funny and shocking however that these REITMEISTERS today are so against LDR. Carl and Charlotte showed to the world that it can be done on a horse friendly way. Sure it took 20+ years and like Carl always say "just when I had the idea to retire I found my best horses". But did he found his best horses ? or was his experience from all this years the reason the he made the best horses.
I go for the later.

Last edited: