Updated BHS advice on Covid 19

L&M

Visit site
Does that mean we can box horses out for exercise now, as long as on our own or with household members? Or would this still be classed as non essential travel?

Just curious as live in Wales, so not applicable anyhow atm......

Bobbit

Visit site
Does that mean we can box horses out for exercise now, as long as on our own or with household members? Or would this still be classed as non essential travel?

Just curious as live in Wales, so not applicable anyhow atm......
I think you can. I asked our local police about it and they seemed to think it would be fine and you wouldnt be breaking regulations. I will be going out in the trailer this week.

teapot

Visit site
It's a holding pattern statement for centres.

For privately owned I can't see why not - livery yard allowing and usual social distancing etc, you'd HAVE to have an arena rota for starters, and it really isn't as easy as it sounds! Let alone how much kit you use on a shared yards (poles, arena poo scoop etc). There in lies the problem...

Abi90

Visit site
I think they are waiting on more information. It’s a measured statement. I can’t blame them for wanting to make the right call this time

Abi90

Visit site
Ah lovely the virtue signalling about boxing up a horse being non essential has already begun on Facebook. Why do people insist on hamstringing themselves when there is very clear direction that they are allowed to do something?

Kat

Visit site
It's a holding pattern statement for centres.

For privately owned I can't see why not - livery yard allowing and usual social distancing etc, you'd HAVE to have an arena rota for starters, and it really isn't as easy as it sounds! Let alone how much kit you use on a shared yards (poles, arena poo scoop etc). There in lies the problem...

Shared poles, and arena poo scoop aren't a problem if you wash your hands after using them and before you touch your face, most people would wash their hands after using stuff like that as they are normally gritty and wet and have slugs on them.

Gates, doors and light switches are more of an issue because you are more likely to touch them and not wash your hands (or be unable to wash your hands if you are in the process of leaving). They can be sanitised though.

Our yard has been operating successfully with a rota. Plus some rules about no non-essential visitors and no hanging around.

Sommerford are reopening their farm ride and arena hire for flat work and have some good policies.

I agree safely reopening riding schools will be challenging although one near me reckons they can do it within the law and has bookings already.

EventingMum

Visit site
I don't understand why they have said it's ok in Scotland immediately, we have a higher infection rate than England. What I am waiting for is some clarity over riding schools reopening, we will need some time to bring horses back into work before starting lessons and then I assume it will private lessons only initially.

MrsMurs

Visit site
Somerford Park Farm Ride is open from Wednesday and i will be going next week. Flat schooling is also open.

I guess this means 1:1 lessons with an instructor have the all clear also if we’re allowed to travel to destinations?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Honestly I just can’t understand peoples
Priorities right now. Having a lesson, going on a farm park ride? Really? That’s what’s important right now. Actually gobsmacked. It’s like a slap in the face for all the key workers and all those poor people that have died that this is the first thing in peoples minds to do. We have the highest death rate and other countries have had more stringent lock down than us and first sign of Life perhaps being a little less restricted and this is what people jump to.

Hmmm maybe I’m just not on the same plane as others as this is just saddening me a lot as a key worker.

Abi90

Visit site
Priorities right now. Having a lesson, going on a farm park ride? Really? That’s what’s important right now. Actually gobsmacked. It’s like a slap in the face for all the key workers and all those poor people that have died that this is the first thing in peoples minds to do. We have the highest death rate and other countries have had more stringent lock down than us and first sign of Life perhaps being a little less restricted and this is what people jump to.

Hmmm maybe I’m just not on the same plane as others as this is just saddening me a lot as a key worker.

I’m a key worker, which doesn’t make my opinion any more valid than anyone else’s, and I don’t see the issue with people enjoying themselves within the government guidelines. If you can do exercise whilst socially distancing then the government has said it is fine in England.

Why is people wanting to live their lives within regulations, having maybe been reminded how precious it is, a slap in the face?

Chippers1

Visit site
I've just seen that Eland lodge are opening for xc and arena hire too, not that I'll be going as I we still aren't allowed on our yard - seems a bit odd that they are starting to open when some yards may not be.

Reactions: Kat

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Can you explain how it will help you if I don't travel with a man I live with to do a farm ride on my own and come home again? I can't stop people dying and I'm not adding to anyone's risk by doing it.

I will be having lessons too because my instructor desperately needs the money.

lannerch

Visit site
I’m a key worker, which doesn’t make my opinion any more valid than anyone else’s, and I don’t see the issue with people enjoying themselves within the government guidelines. If you can do exercise whilst socially distancing then the government has said it is fine in England.

Why is people wanting to live their lives within regulations, having maybe been reminded how precious it is, a slap in the face?
I’m a key worker to and I totally agree with you

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
On Facebook some instructors already posted this morning open for business, some are waiting for specific guidance. One venue has said open for outdoor arena hire from Weds, another has posted that they won't make any decision till Weds so please stop messaging and calling.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Can you explain how it will help you if I don't travel with a man I live with to do a farm ride on my own and come home again? I can't stop people dying and I'm not adding to anyone's risk by doing it.

I will be having lessons too because my instructor desperately needs the money.

I just don’t see this as the first thing that people should be looking at doing. I don’t understand it. People can do what they want I can’t or won’t stop anyone but I genuinely feel like we are going to have a second wave, worse than this first one and bringing it on ourselves is not going to help ourselves at all. We don’t need the country crippled a second time. This is my opinion on this really sad situation.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I am also a key worker. Been working 50hr weeks as well as shopping for shielding relatives etc blah blah blah. Doesn’t make my opinion any different to anyone else’s it is my opinion. Doesn’t have to match anyone else’s I just think that this is a very small thing compared to the bigger picture and it makes me sad.

Abi90

Visit site
I just don’t see this as the first thing that people should be looking at doing. I don’t understand it. People can do what they want I can’t or won’t stop anyone but I genuinely feel like we are going to have a second wave, worse than this first one and bringing it on ourselves is not going to help ourselves at all. We don’t need the country crippled a second time. This is my opinion on this really sad situation.

In general the exercise rule is good news for people’s physical health and fitness and for their mental health. People aren’t all going out for parties, they are maybe going for a ride by themself on the beach hundreds of metres from anyone else.

We cannot live locked up forever

MrsMurs

Visit site

Understand your thoughts completely as I have key workers of all kinds in my family, however I also appreciate there needs to be a time to make steps to creating a new normality, using your nonce and supporting people’s livelihoods - that time has been deemed now by the government. It’s not about being disrespectful to anyone or slapping anyone in the face.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Nothing I am going to do will contribute to a second wave. Why do you have a problem with what other people do if it has no impact on you other than that they are doing it?

TheMule

Visit site

We don’t have the highest death rate, and people are planning within government guidelines. In the grand scheme of what I normally do in my life, travelling 15mins down the road to have a 1:1 lesson with my regular instructor on my established horse is not an unreasonable first step to get back to some kind of normal life. My instructor has had zero income in that time and the government told her yesterday she should go back to work.