Updated BHS advice on Covid 19

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTDWS I'm really sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you but without knowing your background, I've seen a lot of posts on here that are questionable scientifically.

I'm honestly not offended - don't worry. I'm just making a point about not presuming people are idiots when they've been careful to qualify posts to make their meaning fairly clear. There are indeed a great many painfully incorrect posts on here but it's probably better to challenge them than posts where the content is factually correct.

Reactions: Kat

Chianti

Visit site
The government is relying on the public to use good judgment and common sense as lockdown measures are eased so I’m sure everything will be absolutely fine ? As long as we do everything it says in the 50 page recovery plan or if it doesn’t specifically say we can’t do something assume that we can then we can’t go far wrong can we?

I think you're being optimistic. One thing this situation has shown is that the general public seem to lack common sense. The first warm weekend we get the coastal towns will be full of people squashed onto a beach and queueing up for food. The rural areas - south west - have said they don't want people travelling there.

Leandy

Visit site
The rural areas - south west - have said they don't want people travelling there.
Mmm, I have to say I'm not sure who "they" are in these cases. I take these reports with a pinch of salt. For every officious person saying NIMBY, I bet there is a local business reliant on the tourist/day trip industry desperate for business and with a contingency plan as to how they could provide their services safely.

Kat

Visit site
To be clear, the issue for most people isnt around the BEF or BHS guidance, as riding has never been banned. It is DEFRA that prohibited the transport of horses unless for urgent veterinary treatment or for welfare reasons, as it is non-essential transport.

The definition of essential transport is the issue for many people wanting to take their horse to lessons or to ride.

No, I had no issue with the ban on non-essential transport of horses. I did have a problem with the advice given by BHS and BEF to coaches and judges.

Freelance coaches should have been able to work, my instructor and I had discussed what was going on before lockdown. We had resolved that it was possible to continue safely. We have decent hand washing facilities on site. I don't need help mounting, can do the gate myself, can arrange lessons for quiet times, pay by BACS or paypal etc.

I think the BEVA advice was a bit heavy handed too especially as vets are generally clued up on bio-security and should be able to use gloves and masks safely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Latest update.

https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/2020/may/120520

Important Update for Equestrian Centres and Coaches in England

Further to guidance for recreational sport and exercise from the Sport & Recreation Alliance and Sport England, the BHS is advising that riding schools, facility centres and livery yards in England may re-open from Wednesday 13th May 2020 whilst observing the current Government guidance in relation to social distancing. In addition there will be further Government guidance on hygiene and increased biosecurity for the resumption of sport which must be followed. This information will be made available on the gov.uk website in the coming days and we will share it once it has been made available.

To align with the latest Government guidelines that you may only exercise in groups of no more than two unless you are exclusively with members of your household, riding schools and freelance coaches are advised to provide lessons or coaching to individuals only, not to family groups. Please see the gov.uk Q&A for further information in this regard.

The Sport & Recreation Alliance has advised that it is for individual facilities and organisations to develop their own guidance on reopening, to best fit their own situation, in line with the Government's advice. The BHS will support centres by providing advice, guidance and risk assessment templates which will follow in order to help you re-open your business.

The continuation of this advice and guidance is conditional based upon the criteria set by Government and is therefore subject to change.

This update is for England only. Our guidance from Monday 11th May remains unchanged for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

racebuddy

Visit site
i am a keyworker and have continued to exercise mine at home ticking over but no jumping at all , i am defintley not going to box up and travel to arena hires just so i can have a jump , there is still a high risk of cntracting the disease , more pressure on the nhs and i do not want to get ill , as much as restrictions are in place ie santizer ect , you are still touching poles / wings / gates , if u break down and need trasnport home , you are putting more people at risk , scotland and wales are in complete lockdown and we should be also , yes i agree its frustrating and mine was eventing fit 8 weeks ago and has quickly has had to adapt to light schooling and hacking which is by far what hes used to but he has had to learn to adapt like we all have , i understand businness are suffering but is so is everyone else and everyone is in the same boat , i am just going to sit tight at least until the infection rate goes down and it is safer , xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't think anyone has said they are going to box up to jump? The centre I will go to has no show jumping or cross country allowed at the moment.

The likelihood of me breaking down and needing recovery is miniscule. I have a young well maintained van and I carry a mechanic with a set of tools (?) who hasn't needed a recovery company in the forty plus years he's been responsible for our vehicles.

It is now unequivocally within the guidelines to drive somewhere for your exercise, to ride a horse as exercise and for the business offering arena hire and farm rides to be providing those services.

Could we possibly just all do what we feel is right for ourselves and our horses, within the guidelines?

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think you're being optimistic. One thing this situation has shown is that the general public seem to lack common sense. The first warm weekend we get the coastal towns will be full of people squashed onto a beach and queueing up for food. The rural areas - south west - have said they don't want people travelling there.

I’m afraid my post was tongue in cheek. I am not at all optimistic about the way out of the current situation. The behaviour of some people over the past 7 weeks has proved that common sense is anything but common. Some people don’t understand how their actions can negatively affect others and sadly some people are selfish and couldn’t care less.

I live in the South West and we have been very fortunate that the infection rates and deaths have been the lowest in the country. Despite the legislation people have still been visiting the coast here throughout lockdown. On Saturday the police handed out over 200 fines in the village and had to close both roads in and out. Obviously the legislation was to stop people coming but they came anyway and it caused chaos. I only hope that now restrictions are eased and the carparks re-open tomorrow that people visiting will adhere to the guidelines and not put the people that live here at risk.

The area relies heavily on tourism for income so we need to re-open, but some of the behaviour and attitudes of people recently, when all they were asked to do was stay at home for a very good reason, has made me really anxious about how the next few weeks will go.

SO1

Visit site
I am surprised the government has not insisted all businesses & self employed people put together a COVID-19 risk assessment outlining what they are going to do to minimise the risk. Yes it is more work to try and implement these procedures which is probably why yards just banned access as easier to do this than put in place procedures & unlike most businesses that prevent access the money still came in as liveries could not easily move yards due to the lockdown.

I think touching things is low risk compared to aerosol transmission. if you have access to hand sanitiser, I think stocks of hand sanitiser are now back up again. You sanitise your hands before & after opening a gate. You therefore have clean hands when you touch it & after you touch it. If everyone does that the gate remains clean.

Obviously whilst the BSH were recommending that people didn't ride it would not have made a lot of sense for them to recommend instructors to teach or riding schools to be open.

Sadly I think infection rates will go up again & we will be back to a stricter lockdown before long.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Mmm, I have to say I'm not sure who "they" are in these cases. I take these reports with a pinch of salt. For every officious person saying NIMBY, I bet there is a local business reliant on the tourist/day trip industry desperate for business and with a contingency plan as to how they could provide their services safely.

We have the highest cases in the UK and our tourist board along with other associations are asking people not to travel to our area. But as people have been travelling here all through lockdown I'm not holding out much hope.

Winters100

Visit site
I can't remember there being any suggestions on the forum that people should stop riding to reduce pressure on the NHS two years back, when the news was full of pictures of people on trolleys in hospital corridors because it was a very bad year for flu. What's the difference this time?

It is a valid point, but to me there are a few differences. Firstly in respect of flu health care workers and the vulnerable could be vaccinated, and also the treatment was known. Of course the infection rate with this virus is higher, which coupled with the lack of vaccines leads to the potential for huge growth and total paralysis of the health service. I do not recall shortages of PPE being an issue before either. So while I take your point about stresses on the NHS I believe that this is different to a bad year of flu infections.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
So are people now allowed to travel their horses to another venue/instructor?
Judging by venues already popping up for arena hire and cross country, I'd say the assumption is you can.

interestingly I saw one instructor on Facebook saying she would prefer clients to come to her for lessons as she can control her own environment but not a busy livery yard.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am surprised the government has not insisted all businesses & self employed people put together a COVID-19 risk assessment outlining what they are going to do to minimise the risk. Yes it is more work to try and implement these procedures which is probably why yards just banned access as easier to do this than put in place procedures & unlike most businesses that prevent access the money still came in as liveries could not easily move yards due to the lockdown.

I've only read the laboratory advice, that says you have to write a risk assessment if you have more than 5 employees, and if you have more than 50 you are expected to put it on your website.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Latest update.

https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/2020/may/120520

Important Update for Equestrian Centres and Coaches in England

Further to guidance for recreational sport and exercise from the Sport & Recreation Alliance and Sport England, the BHS is advising that riding schools, facility centres and livery yards in England may re-open from Wednesday 13th May 2020 whilst observing the current Government guidance in relation to social distancing. In addition there will be further Government guidance on hygiene and increased biosecurity for the resumption of sport which must be followed. This information will be made available on the gov.uk website in the coming days and we will share it once it has been made available.

To align with the latest Government guidelines that you may only exercise in groups of no more than two unless you are exclusively with members of your household, riding schools and freelance coaches are advised to provide lessons or coaching to individuals only, not to family groups. Please see the gov.uk Q&A for further information in this regard.

The Sport & Recreation Alliance has advised that it is for individual facilities and organisations to develop their own guidance on reopening, to best fit their own situation, in line with the Government's advice. The BHS will support centres by providing advice, guidance and risk assessment templates which will follow in order to help you re-open your business.

The continuation of this advice and guidance is conditional based upon the criteria set by Government and is therefore subject to change.

This update is for England only. Our guidance from Monday 11th May remains unchanged for Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

As a regulator heavily involved with the current Corvid 19 situation, can I just highlight that the BHS, PIF, Kennel Club etc and other trade bodies have absolutely no power or right to insist a business closes or opens at any given time.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
So the advice below has no weight, AA?

‘Further to guidance for recreational sport and exercise from the Sport & Recreation Alliance and Sport England, the BHS is advising that riding schools, facility centres and livery yards in England may re-open from Wednesday 13th May 2020 whilst observing the current Government guidance in relation to social distancing.‘

ycbm

Visit site
As a regulator heavily involved with the current Corvid 19 situation, can I just highlight that the BHS, PIF, Kennel Club etc and other trade bodies have absolutely no power or right to insist a business closes or opens at any given time.

I think part of the problem is that the BHS are also the insurers, and withdrew insurance cover?

That's the impression I got from my physio.

Abi90

Visit site
So the advice below has no weight, AA?

‘Further to guidance for recreational sport and exercise from the Sport & Recreation Alliance and Sport England, the BHS is advising that riding schools, facility centres and livery yards in England may re-open from Wednesday 13th May 2020 whilst observing the current Government guidance in relation to social distancing.‘

I actually find this one odd. Unless they only allow competent riders in solo lessons that tack up themselves it’s going to be difficult for riding schools to run many lessons. Otherwise there could be a lot of contact involved.

It seems very liberal compared to the very draconian interpretation of government guidelines in March

TheMule

Visit site
I think part of the problem is that the BHS are also the insurers, and withdrew insurance cover?

That's the impression I got from my physio.

It's through SEIB and it was never invalid, that was a rumor. The BHS have only ever issued advice, as stated above, they have no authority to make rules

lannerch

Visit site
I'm in Wales & therefore locked down for another 3 weeks at least, my youngster I'm waiting to bring across from England is now unable to be moved until this is lifted as transporters aren't operating. Frustrating but it is what it is.
I think you can still move your youngster as you are moving it from one home to another so counts as essential care . Certainly a few have permanently come and gone ( permanently ) at my livery during full lockdown with no problems .
My golden girl is coming to my local yard tomorrow, she is in England but she was coming even if we had had the same lockdown rules as Wales . I’m so excited ?

ycbm

Visit site
It's through SEIB and it was never invalid, that was a rumor. The BHS have only ever issued advice, as stated above, they have no authority to make rules

My physio told me that she had been informed her insurance was not valid if she worked during the lockdown. I have no idea who she was insured by.