Updated BHS advice on Covid 19

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
doesn't that automatically land you in wales :p

ooh no, you mean you usually go over the bridge ;) gotcha!
Nope ? starting in Gloucestershire and finishing in Gloucestershire, unfortunately its bisected by the bloody river ?

mavandkaz

Visit site
I actually find this one odd. Unless they only allow competent riders in solo lessons that tack up themselves it’s going to be difficult for riding schools to run many lessons. Otherwise there could be a lot of contact involved.

It seems very liberal compared to the very draconian interpretation of government guidelines in March

I am originally from Guernsey and all my family is there. They enforced a proper lockdown and are now heading out of it with their own staged plan. Businesses had to apply for a permit to reopen and set out the routines they would use to ensure social distancing. One of the riding schools has published theirs which think is great.
- lessons are for competent riders only who can mount/do up girth themselves. No novices or small children.
- any extra people must remain in the car at all times
- horse will be tacked up ready and brought out.
- instructor will step back as you approach horse and get on.
- riding gloves to be worn at all times and must be washed after.

The local riding club have set out excellent rules about arena hire too. Basically only allowed 2 people on site at any one time. Timings will not overlap with other bookings. I.e, you arrive on the hour, and leave 45min later, next person arrives on the hour. Do not use the poop scoop, don't move the mounting block, no jumping.

I'm so impressed with how they have done it over there. And cry when I see what is happening here.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The trade bodies are advisors, not policy writers or legislators. Although many of them do take on a persona of being legislators (wrongly), some will have worked alongside DEFRA in the writing of legislation but remain advisors. Some trade bodies actively opposed new legislation.

Central Government legislates, local authorities, the police, the HSE and other bodies regulate/enforce. Business premises that would be trading under licence, ie pubs, taxis gambling establishments (bookies and family entertainment centres) animal boarding, scrap collectors, sex shops, restaurants, body piercing shops etc have been able to gain guidance from their local authorities.

Taxis both private hire and hackney carriage have been able to continue to trade as they were/are classed as key workers. Many didn't and as figures are now showing there has been a lot of death in the sector.

Animal boarders have been able to trade, however most have ceased due to the amount of home working going on and owners being able to look after their own dogs. Business simply disappeared overnight. A few have provided services to key workers. Essential journey legislation was bypassed as the key worker was dropping dogs off on their way to work.

Riding schools closed as they are deemed leisure industry and clients travelling to them would be making non essential journeys. Livery yards are unregulated and the rules imposed by the owners were premises owners making it up as they went along. The government has always allowed travel to look after livestock.

The whole situation has been a nightmare for premise owners and regulators. Today, with the lifting of some restrictions, I sincerely hope people will practice good sense, hygiene and stay alert as Boris says. We are a long way off pubs and the night time economy opening and losses in that sector are going to be substantial. Animal boarders might see some trade come back as people do return to work slowly. This is a luxury service and I think they will take a fair hit on numbers. Riding schools will be able to commence private lessons or group lessons subject to the group being family members. Mixed group lessons won't be possible as yet and measures will need to be put in place to prevent lack of social distancing within the yard for both staff and customers. Back to back lessons for instance won't be possible.

There is no doubt we are living in astonishing and unprecedented times.

racebuddy

Visit site
I am still staing put def for the next few weeks ,my health and family are more important than going jumping , horse yes is missing the life of competing looking for the lorry but hes coping like we all are xx

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I think you can still move your youngster as you are moving it from one home to another so counts as essential care . Certainly a few have permanently come and gone ( permanently ) at my livery during full lockdown with no problems .
My golden girl is coming to my local yard tomorrow, she is in England but she was coming even if we had had the same lockdown rules as Wales . I’m so excited ?

Ahhhhh so exciting!!!! Did she arrive safe & sound? ? I'm stuck as I need a transporter and my local ones are all still saying they can't operate ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Rubbish HHO article today saying that according to the new guidelines, yards may open and farriers could work. Um, yards were not required to close to under the previous guidelines and farriers were still working.

No one seems to know the difference between rules which can be enforced by the police and guidelines issued by the BHS and BEF which don't mean sh * t.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Rubbish HHO article today saying that according to the new guidelines, yards may open and farriers could work. Um, yards were not required to close to under the previous guidelines and farriers were still working.

No one seems to know the difference between rules which can be enforced by the police and guidelines issued by the BHS and BEF which don't mean sh * t.

I saw someone post on a local page “you may now ride your horse” I pointed out you always could. They replied you can now ride without judgement... I left it at that ?

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm, and it’s really not that yards may open - the guidance is clearly towards opening (with suitable rules etc). If shielded are on site that might be the exception but the presumption is about being open.

But I do feel better that it says hacking is ok and about driving, as those were troubling me.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hmm, and it’s really not that yards may open - the guidance is clearly towards opening (with suitable rules etc). If shielded are on site that might be the exception but the presumption is about being open.

But I do feel better that it says hacking is ok and about driving, as those were troubling me.

Yeah, that's why the article is pants. It implies the 'the rules' closed yards and while many yards chose to close, they were by no means required to.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I saw someone post on a local page “you may now ride your horse” I pointed out you always could. They replied you can now ride without judgement... I left it at that ?

Like I give a flying flip about the judgements of the illiterate of social media!

Abi90

Visit site
Like I give a flying flip about the judgements of the illiterate of social media!

As an introvert that is used to living alone, whilst I enjoy social interaction I don’t need it, the lockdown itself has not caused me much grief.

What has really stressed me out is the amount of uninformed and judgemental people out there. The “what about mes” and the “well they can’t have something if I can’ts”. I am now looking in earnest for a house with no phone signal in a remote part of the country.

Although I do enjoy this forum so would need some internet

lannerch

Visit site
Ahhhhh so exciting!!!! Did she arrive safe & sound? ? I'm stuck as I need a transporter and my local ones are all still saying they can't operate ?
I went and picked her up , she loaded a little wobbly into my trailer but almost straight away , travelled like a dream didn’t hear her , and has settled very quickly at my local livery yard let me groom and worm her and put a rug on . What a relief it’s fabulous to have her local . Bet your frustrated , you have waited so long and now your having to wait even longer . ??