Urgent...gloucestershire members!!!

_GG_

Visit site
Has she been sedated? With my boy he simply couldn't walk. The vet sedated him and we managed to get him in from the field with some coaxing.

She's too wobbly. It's really hard to describe but she's just about stable on her feet being left to stand and eat, so we're doing what she can cope with in.the hope she can improve. X

Iownayetti

Visit site
((((Hugs)))) to you GG
I'm in the forest of dean but all mine are natives so I have no stables , only field shelters so I couldn't help

Sorry xxx

SusieT

Visit site
I'm really sorry GG but with an instability in the joint I think you really should get a second opinion - I cannot see anyway this is going to recitfy whether it be bone or soft tissue causing it and don't understand how an infection would be causing an instability you can feel.
I appreciate of couse that your vet has seen the horse and we are not there but it sounds very odd to leave a horse on three legs, with an unstable joint just standing there. There are bandages that can be applied to stabilise it -was it a senior vet you saw?
Not trying to question just can't bear to think of one of mine in a similar situation :(

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Sorry to hear your news. I'm not near you else I would offer to help out. Fingers crossed for you all that it isn't as serious as your vet thinks.

_GG_

Visit site
I'm really sorry GG but with an instability in the ijoint I think you really should get a second opinion - I cannot see anyway this is going to recitfy whether it be bone or soft tissue causing it and don't understand how an infection would be causing an instability you can feel.
I appreciate of couse that your vet has seen the horse and we are not there but it sounds very odd to leave a horse on three legs, with an unstable joint just standing there. There are bandages that can be applied to stabilise it -was it a senior vet you saw?
Not trying to question just can't bear to think of one of mine in a similar situation :(

It's fine. Yes, senior vet and I have just finished a conversation with ex Olympic team vet I used to work for. He is in agreement. She is well bandaged to provide stability. My vet is a very experienced equine vet and the infection risk is very much a long shot in the sense that it could be a foreign object that has created infection and instability. It's not impossible as it happened to one of my dogs so while she is happy in.herself we are giving her a chance. I actually think being out in teeny paddock is the best place. She gets very anxious when put in stable and always hurts herself. She never used to, but she just doesn't like being shut in now. She's also a total loon when turned out so we are avoiding that too.

I just don't know if I'm coming or going. Hartpurt saved my old mare, but she was already there. If Fly could walk to the road and travel I would have her in hospital right now being x rayed and treated. Why is life so cruel. Why can't it be me and not her :(

Juni141

Visit site
Hi GG, you poor thing. And poor Fly. I am north Cotswolds so may be too far but we have spare boxes at our yard if she was able to move at later date? Big large airy boxes and happy for my mare to be in to keep her company.

If you need any moral support/a coffee/shoulder to cry on tomorrow I am around all day. Just pm me and I will pop over.

X

undergroundoli

Visit site
Oh GG, I'm so sorry. I don't know if this will be even the coldest of cold comforts but at least you being up and about means you can look after your other animals. My fingers are crossed as tight as tight can be for you and Fly. At least she is well in herself atm

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I'm in Dorset for the weekend otherwise I'd come over with a strong, sugary cuppa. Can't help on the horse side of things but sending vibes. I'm back tomorrow at 8pm ish so let me know if I can help.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've only just picked up your PM, and I'm so sorry to hear of this. As someone else has said, can you not find someone with a mobile x/ray unit? At least you will then be able to start treatment, or if the news is that bad, then put her to sleep?

I only wish that we were closer, as the answer would be that we would do what ever needed doing, you know that.

Is there any improvement this morning? Lots of love, prayers and positive vibes, are all heading your way.

Alec. x

Kokopelli

Visit site
Sorry I cant iffer a stable but I can ask around for you and see if I can find anything.

If you need someone to help out let me know xx

_GG_

Visit site
Thanks guys.

She is a tad more comfortable this morning as I'd expect with the bute. She'll be reassessed tomorrow so I will know more then. xxx

EventingMum

Visit site
It maybe doesn't help at all but I totally forgot to mention this when I first replied. My son's fiancee's horse presented in a very similar way to Fly, her very experienced vets we're convinced he had fractured his hock and with a lot of drugs travelled him to an equine hospital, long story short there was no fracture which surprised everyone but it turned out to be a cellulitis which took a fair while to sort out with very strong antibiotics. I gather no obvious entry site for infection was found but it could have been microscopic. He still has to be watched very carefully for anything that could trigger it again and if there is the slightest chance he gets antibiotics straight away but other than that he is completely recovered.

I really hope against hope that it could be something like this with Fly but regardless I am thinking of you at this difficult time x

_GG_

Visit site
It maybe doesn't help at all but I totally forgot to mention this when I first replied. My son's fiancee's horse presented in a very similar way to Fly, her very experienced vets we're convinced he had fractured his hock and with a lot of drugs travelled him to an equine hospital, long story short there was no fracture which surprised everyone but it turned out to be a cellulitis which took a fair while to sort out with very strong antibiotics. I gather no obvious entry site for infection was found but it could have been microscopic. He still has to be watched very carefully for anything that could trigger it again and if there is the slightest chance he gets antibiotics straight away but other than that he is completely recovered.

I really hope against hope that it could be something like this with Fly but regardless I am thinking of you at this difficult time x

That is the long shot hope for infection...she's had it before in that hock, but the signs don't support it...but we are giving it a chance. If it is, we should see definite improvement tomorrow when we take the bandage off. The swelling is such that the vet does think it is a long shot, but we have to try and I am just praying for good news tomorrow.

Alec Swan

Visit site
That is the long shot hope for infection...she's had it before in that hock, but the signs don't support it...but we are giving it a chance. If it is, we should see definite improvement tomorrow when we take the bandage off. The swelling is such that the vet does think it is a long shot, but we have to try and I am just praying for good news tomorrow.

Your horse, your problem (obviously), and it's also your decision. Providing that the mare is as comfortable as is possible, then you can do no more than rely upon the advice of your highly competent equine vets, and as you say, wait and see.

It isn't easy for you C, and none of us are very good at 'wait and see', but that's what you will have to do. Keep us informed, please, and good luck.

Alec.

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Well said Alec (as always)

GG - sorry I can offer no more than positive thoughts, but we are all rooting for Fly and yourself.

Take care both of you

DDx

annaellie

Visit site
Have not read all replies but if you haven't found anywhere I have 2 stables free as my boys are living out now. You would be more than welcome to use them if needed am about 5 minutes from newent

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I just don't know if I'm coming or going. Hartpurt saved my old mare, but she was already there. If Fly could walk to the road and travel I would have her in hospital right now being x rayed and treated. Why is life so cruel. Why can't it be me and not her :(

Oh no, poor Fly and poor you. What a shock it must be for you, just some day ago it sounded as if she had settled so well after the move, you said she would possibly get a chance to go out and compete etc, and then the next day you find her standing on three legs. Life really isn't fair sometimes, and it is so difficult when you only can wait and see, probably oscillating between hope and despair.

I know that it can be difficult to not think about the what-ifs, if only the field was closer to the yard, if she only could walk a little etc. But remember that maybe it could have been worse too? At least she is in your new perfect field, where you can take care of her. What-if it had happened e.g. during a ride, or if she had escaped her new field, and was found somewhere completely unsuitable, where you could not have let her stay.
I understand that you wish that you could do more, that she could travel and so on, but the situation is the way it is, at least there is some hope, and I'm sure that you're doing the best you can to help her.

((((((Vibes)))))) and fingers crossed for Fly.

Wishful

Visit site
X ray machines don't like your average generator. The van contained ones like their own generator.

Non displaced fractures don't always show up acutely. The healing callus is what shows on x-ray...

Good luck!

_GG_

Visit site
It's not looking good for so many reasons. Fly is comfortable with all the drugs but..... we thought the pony had been escaping as kept finding her outside of her paddock. Went at stupid o'clock this
morning to check and one side of flys mini paddock was down. Posts pulled out, no rough edges to the holes they left...three posts, laid on top of each other with the tape neatly laid on top. Horses can't do that. Fixed it all up, checked energizer working, fly seemed ok considering. Fine through the day as we were there for most of it. Went to get some food and give dogs a walk and got back at 5 to find fencing all down but not dragged like a horse would do. What has confirmed that someone has tampered is that the positive lead from the energizer was no longer attached to the energizer. The lead and c clip all intact, no damage. The energizer itself I expected would be on the floor, it was not. It was balanced on wobbly bucket. If the cable had been pulled out by a horse going through a fence, the energizer would have fallen. Then Dan checked and the red screw that connects the lead had been completely unscrewed. Only human hands can do that.

Fly is happy munching away for what will be her last night. Her movement is awful and vet has x rayed as Dan made an inverter and power pack. I don't even think she said what was wrong, she just gave me the look and shook her head. Because of access and because for now the pain relief is working, she is munching in a heavenly field for the night. Tomorrow morning I need to make arrangements. Her owner knows and supports the decision as vet did say that nothing can be done, even if she were in their equine hospital.

I will ask her exactly what she has done to the hock in the morning.

I have no more words at the moment really. Landlord is reporting and a strange car was seen there today when we were out and there is evidence of a car going up through the fields.

I am numb, confused, livid and broken.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Xxx

armchair_rider

Visit site
Oh GG I am so sorry. Be interesting to know who interfered with the fence though. You'd think that if they were that concerned about welfare they'd have noticed the bandaging.