Urgent...gloucestershire members!!!

_GG_

Visit site
Jut been to feed the horses and Fly is on 3 legs. Cannot weigh bear on her offside hock, which is extremely swollen and hot. When walked forwards gently to assess, her whole body is wobbling and even her forelegs are shaking when not on the ground. She looks calm in herself, but when she tries to move it is absolutely heartbreaking.

The vet is coming asap but...and I know I am clutching at straws here...if there is anyone in the Minsterworth area of Gloucester that would have a spare stable on the offchance that she could be moved, could you please post here or PM me and let me know. This horse is just the most beautiful girl and I will do anything I can to help her so long as it doesn't cause more pain. It would also mean finding someone to take her little companion for a few days until the RSPCA can pick her up as she can't be left here alone if Fly can go somewhere. Insurance won't cover a hospital stay and her owners (not signed over yet) will not pay for anything like that. If I have to make that tough decision, I will if it is best for Fly but please please...ask anyone you know who lives in or around Gloucester if they can help with either a stable or a temporary (few days) home for the pony.

Thank you

Cheryl.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
If I was closer I could take them both but it is over an hour away, look at this as it may be worth contacting yards locally, they may have space now horses are out, it will cost but not as much as hospital.

http://www.*******.co.uk/?p=search&postcode=minsterworth&category=0

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Oh crikey GG ! I wish I was closer. I hope you're not on your own. I'm guessing the vet is with you now, or very imminent, everything crossed that Fly isn't as injured as she first seemed.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Vet may well have a spare stable if they have hospital block. It won't be your cheapest option but would be easiest and would keep her and her companion together which would be good for calmness.

conniegirl

Visit site
My lad came in one day similar to yours absolutely heartbreaking watching him try to move forwards on 3 legs, I thought he had broken something, vet came and it turned out to be just an abcess

sandi_84

Visit site
Really sorry to hear this GG :( Fingers crossed Fly will be ok, sending Vibes and hopefully someone nearby will be able to help out you lovely lady that you are X

_GG_

Visit site
Thanks guys and sorry to shadowboy...Ididn't know if you were needing clarification.

News not good. She is not fit to travel. She is confined to a 16x16 ft paddock as can't walk to stable. Giving her 48 hrs to show major improvement or she will be pts Monday.

Thanks all. I'll update as I can. Just a bit numb at the moment.

bonny

Visit site
I had a horse a few weeks ago who looked like this, suddenly on 3 legs, unable to move at all. Was in a field so couldn't xray and the vet was clueless about what to do so we came up with the idea of massive amounts of painkillers. By the next day he was walking but very lame and the following day was sound. Never knew what it was but it seemed to be his hock and he was totally disabled by it. Sometimes we just don't know, so if your vet is as stumped as ours was don't give up hope.

Bennions Field

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your Ned GG, I wish you every ounce of good luck.

They can make amazing improvements very quickly. My old mare was sooooo lame a couple of weeks ago, I thought she'd done something really serious and was thinking I would be saying my goodbyes, she was walking in circles and banana shaped through her body, screwing both her back legs as she tried to walk :-( vet gave her 48hrs to improve too, she's 31 so a very old lady. By the following morning she'd improved slightly, but still odd through her back. By the following morning she was at least walking straighter. She's back to near normal now two weeks on. Hope this gives you some hope, and I wish you every success with her making some improvement. Keep thinking positive ;-)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
if you get stuck for a stable I will chip in and buy you a couple of large hession bales for you to start to build a stable and put a tarp over if you can get some delivered ?