Vegan boyfriend...and hunting....

fredflop

Visit site
Im afraid it would be a lot more challenging than you ever imagine! A good example are hound pups who are sent out to various families and those mentally challenged enough to take them ;-) For what is called puppy walking! lovely cute pups turn up normally a pair(as they are twice the fun) . This is for them to get used to life around them and to get used to some basics . Even starting with the raw material I would suggest that a very high proportion of walkers cannot wait for the huntsman to come and take them away a few months later they just dont settle into a domestic environment and can cause havoc the more so as they get older. So it has nothing to do with basic training it is nature overcoming Nurture.
It can work but more often than not it wont.

There is at least one dog rescue charity in Ireland that think foxhounds make wonderful pets, even stating that one of the best pets they’ve ever had is an ex pack foxhound. I find it very hard to believe.

claret09

Visit site
life is too short. you deserve better. I would never say it to anyone normally but you sound incompatible. horses are none negotiable in my book. love me love my horse. i feel sorry for you. but good luck I hope you are able to sort it out
He's against everything I do with my horse, right down to the leather on my tack! Trouble is horse came after the boyfriend and when I met him, I was having a break from horses because of some health issues so my hobby was never an issue until I decided I was right enough to buy myself a horse of my very own. We have been together for 2 years but we really have hit a point where it's testing me

Pedantic

Visit site
I suppose that you were also one of those who was in support of Kauto Star taking up a new career as a dressage horse! :D that worked a treat, didn't it? :D The analogy is the same, animals which have been bred and importantly 'used', often for centuries, and to do one specific job (thinking racehorses, greyhounds, and bloodhounds too), and it is generally kinder, as happens with foxhounds, that their light is switched off, humanely and instantly rather than inflict a life of well intentioned but ignorant treatment upon them, as generally happens.

Alec.

How we should treat terrorist's and traitors returning from abroad.

popsdosh

Visit site
I appreciate they would certainly be a handful and not for everyone. My point is that dogs and horses can and do go on to do other jobs other than the one they were bred for.
If you think that every animal should be shot when not doing the job it was bred for there will be a hell of a lot of dead animals.

Where have I suggested that outcome,you may disagree with my post but please dont attribute things to me I havent suggested. However there are worse outcomes for animals that cannot be retrained IMO now you have brought it up.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Where have I suggested that outcome,you may disagree with my post but please dont attribute things to me I havent suggested. However there are worse outcomes for animals that cannot be retrained IMO now you have brought it up.

I wasn't actually replying to you. Why did you assume I was?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Generally, and on here, when we put up a quote, and then pass comments, it's assumed that we're responding to our heading quote. Mostly, that's how it works on here.

Alec.

Yes I'm aware of that Thank you. I think you will find it was Popdosh who originally quoted my post. I simply replied to that comment.
I believe I was answering a post from you in the first place where you implied that animals bred for a certain purpose are often better off shot than being rehomed or trained to do a different job.
I apologise for any confusion.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Sandstone1 the analogy was meant to illustrate that there are breeds of dogs, and horses too for that matter, that when they've been bred to perform one specific task and as individuals, and importantly, they've fulfilled that roll, then a complete change of life and emphasis is generally bordering on the absurd and on occasion, it's cruel.

Just as Police Dogs would find the work of a Guide Dog a challenge, as would expecting them to perform the roll with any degree of success, so it's the same with bench kept Hounds which have lived a kennelled and pack existence, and to expect them to adjust to a domestic life whereby it would be unlikely that they could ever have their freedom would be considered by many to be unrealistic and all so often, with predictable results.

Alec.

This is one of your posts I was originally replying to.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Can't find the post to quote from, but Police Dogs are usually retired to their handler as a pet, as they usually live with them anyway & only go in work mode when their work harness comes out, so they slip into a happy retirement very easily. (And Home know how to keep life interesting!)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Drag Hunting - well that should please EVERYONE in these gender unspecific times.

I don't know why but when you mentioned "gender unspecific" and "drag" - my mind immediately painted an image of Dame Edna out hunting on a horse...

Annagain

Visit site
OP - Would it be right if you started passing comment on his canvas / plastic shoes, his meat & dairy free meals, his hobbies to the point he felt he had no choice but to eat meat / wear leather / give up doing what he loved to keep the peace? I'm guessing you wouldn't dream of doing that to a loved one?

He is perfectly entitled to his views / lifestyle. He is NOT entitled to force them (either overtly or by constantly undermining your choices) onto you.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. He is perfectly entitled to his views / lifestyle. He is NOT entitled to force them (either overtly or by constantly undermining your choices) onto you.

I'm with you …. but it does seem strange doesn't it; We meet and fall in love, we spend the next 3 months diving down each others throats and in some sort of delirious sense of suspension, we plan a life together, we set up home and then all of a sudden, this paragon, this beautiful and wonderful person suddenly appears to have flaws, faults, there's stuff about them that we don't like and we want them to change ……..

OP — there's a meaningful and unequivocal two word exchange which is in common usage, it's available to you and the second word is OFF. I'd suggest that you use it and continue to do so until the penny drops. [edit] And if he leaves, he can take those bloody rats with him too! :D Thinking about it further, you could always get a cat, I suppose. :wink3:

Alec.

Last edited:
Visit site
OP — there's a meaningful and unequivocal two word exchange which is in common usage, it's available to you and the second word is OFF. I'd suggest that you use it and continue to do so until the penny drops. [edit] And if he leaves, he can take those bloody rats with him too! :D Thinking about it further, you could always get a cat, I suppose. :wink3:

Alec.

LMFAO

oi don't bully rodents if ya please - if I were OP I'd rather have the rats than the boyfriend LOL !

Archangel

Visit site
and then all of a sudden, this paragon, this beautiful and wonderful person suddenly appears to have flaws, faults, there's stuff about them that we don't like and we want them to change ……..

The faults and flaws are always fully on display in those first months. We choose to gloss over them.
*Archangel knows from bitter experience* :redface3:
*Archangel never learns* :frown3:

And if he leaves, he can take those bloody rats with him too!

:D:cool:

Jellymoon

Visit site
It’s nice that he loves animals so much, that’s great, but tbh he doesn’t sound like much FUN. And as a middle-aged married person, mostly happily married to the same man for a number of years, if I can pass on any wisdom to the younger generations about relationships, it would be that you don’t have to have the same interests at all, but you do need to find someone who doesn’t take life too seriously.

Alec Swan

Visit site
It’s nice that he loves animals so much, that’s great, but tbh he doesn’t sound like much FUN. And as a middle-aged married person, mostly happily married to the same man for a number of years, if I can pass on any wisdom to the younger generations about relationships, it would be that you don’t have to have the same interests at all, but you do need to find someone who doesn’t take life too seriously.

What an interesting and incisive post. A question for you OP (who's name I've forgotten :redface3: — Bri101 it seems! :) ) do you ever laugh together, I mean really laugh?

Every vegan who I've ever met seems to be on a bit of a mission, they seem to be campaigners, they're so bloody serious. I wonder if vegans fart more or less than normal people — does anyone know?

Alec.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
What an interesting and incisive post. A question for you OP (who's name I've forgotten :redface3: — Bri101 it seems! :) ) do you ever laugh together, I mean really laugh?

Every vegan who I've ever met seems to be on a bit of a mission, they seem to be campaigners, they're so bloody serious. I wonder if vegans fart more or less than normal people — does anyone know?

Alec.

I also totally agree with Jellymoon.

I also agree with you wholeheartedly. To laugh with someone, proper tear inducing belly laughter is the basis of all friendships & indeed the friendship with the other person in your life.

There was a vegan on the radio tonight on my way to the yard. OMG. There are too many cows, they create methane which pollutes. I was yelling at the radio, "So what are you going to do with all these methane creating beasties? Send em into space?"

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I also totally agree with Jellymoon.

I also agree with you wholeheartedly. To laugh with someone, proper tear inducing belly laughter is the basis of all friendships & indeed the friendship with the other person in your life.

There was a vegan on the radio tonight on my way to the yard. OMG. There are too many cows, they create methane which pollutes. I was yelling at the radio, "So what are you going to do with all these methane creating beasties? Send em into space?"

At least if they're on the radio you can switch them off!