Weekend plans for 2nd week in May

Northern

Visit site
Looks like a great weekend for most of you, sorry for your loss Sheep :(

Lesson on Saturday was interesting... Our trot work has really super improved, we have rhythm and swing and it just feels really easy. Shoulder in and leg yields are now decent and achievable pretty much anywhere I ask in the school. Been working on them a lot lately, so chuffed to see improvements :)

The canter wasn't great... Canter has always been our Achilles heel. Haflingers just aren't really built for a dressage canter and it takes a lot of correct riding, practice and muscle to achieve an "acceptable" canter with an "acceptable" frame. On Saturday we clearly had a bit of an off day, she didn't want to give more roundness, fell out through the shoulder and was quite rude about the outside rein. We go through this every few weeks, so it doesn't worry me overly much. But I would love to show off our nice canter for once in front of someone, not just at home :D I am asking more of her now, and she is capable of giving it. Just need to keep soldiering on and practice. On the plus side, walk to canter transitions are great! Also been doing a dizzying amount of them.

Yesterday our good canter appeared again and we even rode some 10m circles (which are HARD). Very pleased with the improvement, so ponio will have the next few days off and a massage on Tuesday. I have gone ahead and entered an Elementary test in 6 weeks, just a training day but it will give us some movements to perfect. Currently we have trained all movements in the test, but will really try and refine them before this outing and see what we need to work on.

Finally took the baby pony in the school and managed a consistent long side straight(!) and without stopping in walk and trot. Win! I'll take her out to a clinic in a few weeks for another outing, if we can learn to trot some circles I will be chuffed :)

Have a good week all!

Bernster

Visit site
Tested out the new jump wings that my lovely friends bought me for my birthday (we have lots of poles at the yard but short on wings) and we did ok. Bit rusty with the jumping as I tend to put it off if I can find a reason to (Nerves). Kept it mostly within my comfort zone of teeny tiny although had a wobble with the open oxer which was pretty cos it was gappy so I didn’t like it. Need to keep up the practise!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We had a good day yesterday. Saturday was a boring day being productive indoors (cooked a week's worth of dinners and went to visit parents for the first time in over a year o_O)
Back to horsing yesterday, OH got the new fuel tank and exhaust onto the lorry. He got fairly well soaked in diesel scrabbling around underneath, whereas I was chief spanner-passer and got sunburned, am toasty today :oops: It's had some other bits too so now just wants a quick bit of welding to the step on the cab and then SHOULD sail through plating... fingers and toes crossed. I'm very grateful that OH can do it but this has been a long wait.

Yesterday Kira and I did a pretend show, warmed up indoors for some test riding and then decamped to the outdoor to ride though it. I figured AM98 would be a good starting point, there's enough in it to be a good test but not too physically demanding for fitness to be a problem. She was a good little egg other than being a drama queen about placing the first change of the serpentine ON the centre line. So that was a useful exercise, she was fairly well on my aids (but our centre lines need work :p)

184325181_4311202282224582_5338920777757259021_n.jpg

teapot

Visit site
Well taking up knitting after today. First lesson was great, really pleased with how horse improved and finished. Plus he's a soppy git so just a nice person to be around. Nothing earth shattering just working a horse correctly making the most of fences to school around, lots of changes of direction, transitions, and use of shoulder fore. He wasn't Valegro but when they start feeling like putty you know you've done a good job, esp on a horse that wouldn't look out of place in a heavy hunter/up front with the Beaufort type.

Second lesson - my old confidence/brain having a meltdown battle came back with a vengeance (hasn't happened in a while) - surprising me, my coach, and the horse in the process. I'd have happily called it a day 10 mins in, haven't felt that unconfident/nervy on a horse in a long time. Had such a brain implosion that I couldn't even get my head aroud the varying size serpentines which errr did not go down well. Coach is tough on a good day, let alone when my brain switches off. So pleased with the first, second - want to shoot myself, and am a bit meh re the way my coach spoke to me too.

Also found out that over the next seven weeks my reserved training times are only available for three weeks out of those seven. Not been officially told, given reasons why, or offered an alternative slot/coach. So that's just icing on the cake :( It blows my mind from a business point of view with my job hat on; as a client so much for progression and maintaining the improvement I have had. ****ing frustrating.

Last edited:

Sprat

Visit site
Sorry you had a pants lesson teapot. Easier said than done but try to focus on the great stuff from the first lesson rather than dwell on the less than successful second lesson. Perhaps have a chat with your coach now that you've had some time to reflect?

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz is showing some improvement :) can't see any lameness in walk which is great and his trot is looking loads better too. He's been pretty much on full box rest since last Friday so I have been letting him out into a small paddock whilst mucking out over the last few days, the first day I did this he would not let me catch him and had a little hooley round (as much as he could manage!) so I was dreading the next day but it didn't make it any worse and now he's looking a lot better than last week. Vet is out tomorrow - it was the soonest I could get anyone! - so will see what they say, I'm hoping he might be able to go out again as he's not happy being in.
On the plus side he's looking lovely and slim for this time of year :D

j1ffy

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your frustrating lesson Teapot, the first one does sound excellent though. I've learnt that a coach should not make you feel worse about yourself - I like a tough coach who doesn't blow smoke up my rear-end, but equally if I'm having a crisis I want their support and not to be told off! I have ditched a coach in the last year who did that. It may be worth taking the time when your coach is less available to try a few different people?

Chippers1 - that's good to hear! Fingers crossed for the vet visit tomorrow.

Not so good here unfortunately, my back is still very sore and swollen and I think I've pulled a couple of muscles too. I had planned to try a short confidence-boosting ride yesterday but just as I tacked up the heavens opened and didn't stop for an hour so I decided against it. I'm supposed to have a lesson this evening so will get on and see how it feels, but right now I'm 95% sure that I'll have to withdraw from the Area Festival on Friday ?

milliepops

Visit site
Bouncing into the end of the WP week with a big grin. I finally feel like Ive got my advanced horse back :) this week of test riding has really helped tune her ladyship up and given me a confidence boost. on the weekend we wobbled round AM98, yesterday did a convincing job of AM91 (yuk test) and today sailed round the PSG feeling fit and happy :D

184946379_4315992975078846_5094628496832143400_n.jpg

milliepops

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your frustrating lesson Teapot, the first one does sound excellent though. I've learnt that a coach should not make you feel worse about yourself - I like a tough coach who doesn't blow smoke up my rear-end, but equally if I'm having a crisis I want their support and not to be told off! I have ditched a coach in the last year who did that. It may be worth taking the time when your coach is less available to try a few different people?

Not so good here unfortunately, my back is still very sore and swollen and I think I've pulled a couple of muscles too. I had planned to try a short confidence-boosting ride yesterday but just as I tacked up the heavens opened and didn't stop for an hour so I decided against it. I'm supposed to have a lesson this evening so will get on and see how it feels, but right now I'm 95% sure that I'll have to withdraw from the Area Festival on Friday ?
liking in sympathy :( sending speedy healing vibes

nikicb

www.facebook.com

So sorry to read this. Such bad timing Danny! :confused:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com

Have you been icing and heat intermittently? I was a mix of NSAIDs, Ice, Heat, Portable massager, Arnica and chiro got me back on track very quickly after a similar issue with needing to go eventing again after a week.

AandK

Visit site
Had a canter on my boy this morning! Was lovely and quiet up on the Downs. Just over 23 weeks since his keratoma op, and 6 months since I last had a canter on him. Tomorrow AM will school before work, and try a bit of canter in there too. Not much planned for Sat, as weather is supposed to be pants and I have my COVID jab tomorrow at 7pm so might not feel up to much anyway!

Last Friday's school session was just awesome, I feel like I have a different horse this year! We had a canter, both reins, transitions spot on and so, so much better than the canter we had last year. I almost cried tbh...

Had my jab on Fri PM, glad I planned nothing for the weekend as I had night of hot/cold/shivers/sweats, bad head and aching. Did nothing other than the necessary horse/dog related stuff. Felt almost better Sun AM, but over the course of the day started feeling dizzy and nauseous and that has dragged on! Almost better now but the horse isn't! Felt a bit off on a quiet hack yesterday, of course it's the foot he had the keratoma in. So thinking either abscess (which is not unusual 5-6 months post surgery from what I have seen in a support group on FB) or the foot didn't like cantering out hacking last week. Farrier coming tomorrow to take a look, ugh. Perfect timing as I had just booked into a low key polework clinic early June, one day I'll get to take him somewhere other than the vets!

teapot

Visit site
Sorry you had a pants lesson teapot. Easier said than done but try to focus on the great stuff from the first lesson rather than dwell on the less than successful second lesson. Perhaps have a chat with your coach now that you've had some time to reflect?

I'm just pissed off now!

Absolutely and she's great for the tough/no smoke up arse approach. Yesterday however wasn't even me not trying/being lazy/mentally going shant (and yes then her arse kickings do wonders ;)), it was a real case of I dont want to do this on that horse and however annoyed she was, surely it's about helping that person in that moment.

Trust you're on the ice and pain killers approach. What rubbish timing :(

j1ffy

Visit site
Have you been icing and heat intermittently? I was a mix of NSAIDs, Ice, Heat, Portable massager, Arnica and chiro got me back on track very quickly after a similar issue with needing to go eventing again after a week.
Trust you're on the ice and pain killers approach. What rubbish timing :(

Yep - ice, heat, NSAIDs, arnica (cream and pills). A large chunk of my back is so swollen that there’s no way any hands-on treatment would be possible. Currently at an urgent care centre to be checked - it’s a new experience for me..!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Yep - ice, heat, NSAIDs, arnica (cream and pills). A large chunk of my back is so swollen that there’s no way any hands-on treatment would be possible. Currently at an urgent care centre to be checked - it’s a new experience for me..!!

Oh no! Hope you're OK!

j1ffy

Visit site
Update: No real damage done but the worst back bruising the physician had ever seen! Sent home with painkillers and strict orders to do no more that walk (and not on a horse).

humblepie

Visit site
Update: No real damage done but the worst back bruising the physician had ever seen! Sent home with painkillers and strict orders to do no more that walk (and not on a horse).
Oh dear. That’s not good. Take care of yourself. I withdrew from the AF with the date change in the end.