Weekend Plans

Sprat

Visit site
So today went so very wrong. I knew a 05:30 wake up was a bad call). Bean warmed up like a pro at LandS Eventing but went very very green in the arena, which ended up with me hitting the deck (first time since before I got married over 2 years ago) 😥 A quiet few days for us both I think while I recover ☹️

I’m so gutted, she went so so well in the warm up, but going into that massive arena just blew her brains. Managed to get to fence 4 before I came off, annoyingly she went really sweetly over fence 3 which I was worried about, and our downfall came at a really unassuming looking roll top. She started bowling on in the canter, and she just wasn’t with me at all. We came up to the fence which she boggled at and launched.

Ahh well lessons learned I suppose, must do more xc schooling in new places.

scats

Visit site
So today went so very wrong. I knew a 05:30 wake up was a bad call). Bean warmed up like a pro at LandS Eventing but went very very green in the arena, which ended up with me hitting the deck (first time since before I got married over 2 years ago) 😥 A quiet few days for us both I think while I recover ☹️

I’m so gutted, she went so so well in the warm up, but going into that massive arena just blew her brains. Managed to get to fence 4 before I came off, annoyingly she went really sweetly over fence 3 which I was worried about, and our downfall came at a really unassuming looking roll top. She started bowling on in the canter, and she just wasn’t with me at all. We came up to the fence which she boggled at and launched.

Oh no. Hope you’re ok xx

Bernster

Visit site
Sorry to hear that sprat, rest up! Horses are the only reason I will ever happily get up early.

Back is a lot better, at least to the point where I’m gonna try riding. Obv I’m going to try jumping today rather than doing something sensible like a quiet hack! Duh.

Pippity

Visit site

Oh, no! I hope you aren't feeling it too badly.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm still lacking a saddle (oh, for an AH Saddles fitter who actually responded to texts, calls or emails. I want to spend several thousand pounds with you. Please let me) so plans this weekend are for yet more groundwork. I've ridden her bareback a little, but she got very worried and lost all brakes and steering. Considering her excellent brakes are what sold me on her, I think I'll pass on the bareback for now.

My instructor showed up for our groundwork lesson with a saddle that was a reasonable fit, so I hopped on board for a bit of a ridden lesson, too. We've both got a lot of work ahead, but I'm really pleased with her. I definitely think she was a good buy.

blue-snap-3.PNG blue-snap-4.PNG

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Brill start to the weekend for us, despite it being absolutely freezing cold, wet and windy. Kira was sharp as a sharp thing at the show, napping and generally being ridiculous, which left me questioning the wisdom of doing a show on the back of a 2 week holiday...:rolleyes: but somehow we managed to pull a 67% score out of the bag when it mattered so that's her qualification for the AM music regionals done. Hurrah! :cool:
Cold soggy pony

43747863_2178088725535959_6297933721215434752_n.jpg

And then exciting developments for the orange ponies, we have had a pony taxi upgrade :D OH bought this the night before our wedding ;) and he picked it up yesterday, I went to see it for the first time today. Very much looking forward to having a proper bit of nice living for stay away shows, it needs a bit of TLC before the horses can go in it (was bought as a bit of a project) but nothing too major so should be trucking (with a chauffeur) next month. Then I need to do my lorry test o_O

44865278_2177806328897532_7968839908196352000_n.jpg

Fiona

Visit site
Wow milliepops you won't know yourselves having all that space :)

Well done everyone who competed today, especially those who got wet, or fell off :(

I took small son and his Welsh pony to some lovely Halloween SJ this morning, and after being slightly looky first thing, they then went a blinder, ending up DC in their first ever 60cm class :)

Very proud, as she certainly isn't pushbutton, and he's only 7...

Fiona

Surbie

Visit site
Although the new show jacket just about fits I need to let down the arms and sort out the waist darts - it is NOT a flattering thing. Any tips on good show jackets that cater for those with 'magnificent' bust lines and orangutan arms would be very welcome!

We had a great morning though. We didn't just stay in the boards, we came second out of nine with a score of 62.6%. :D

No spooking in the arena, I remembered the test and grinned like an eejit most of the way round. Lots to learn and improve on - particularly getting away from relying on my reins, better control via seat/legs and getting him going so he is less on the forehand. To be fair to him he didn't relax at all in the warm up and I didn't give him enough time to do so, so some of the test was rushed or drifting slightly to the left.

The warm up area was the worst bit. He was very worried about the grass mats he had to walk over, the hose lying across the field, the barrow and the water trugs. On a more positive note he couldn't have cared less about the other strange horses in the area.

I am beyond chuffed with him and his owner is delighted.

44851553_10156535421595856_9041975566281998336_n.jpg

Well done milliepops - and I have lorry envy!

Sorry to read it didn't go so well sprat. Hope you both bounce back.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ahh that's brilliant Fiona 😄

Yeah I can't wait to have somewhere warm and dry to get changed and have a cuppa when we're out and about

scats

Visit site
Kira has such a gorgeous face MP!

Headed to Naylors in Nantwich today and got myself a lovely new competition hat, but got dreadfully car sick on the way there and back (bad passenger!) so felt like death this evening but decided I’d better run through tomorrow’s test.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lots of positives in the updates - love the new lorry MP, and good work in the test Surbie. Shame about the fall Sprat, but if you're going to fall, it's better to fall from an awkward jump than a stop - at least the pony was trying to do its job and get over it (you just need a better seat belt!).

I took my mare out for a solo hack - she has been hacking bravely alone all summer, then I moved to a new area a month ago and it's really affected her balls (and therefore mine). Typically, I got halfway round and could hear shooting in front of us, so I jumped off and led her (largely because I thought we might walk into the middle of it, rather than because she's silly about stuff) and scrambled back on down the track. I should've just taken her in the paddock and done something fun :rolleyes:

Bernster

Visit site
Jumps were left out for us from yard clinic so a friend and I had a little practice yesterday. My back held up, bit stiff today mind, and we worked on linking a few together and doing more challenging lines. Still keeping it small but I’m less freaked out about jumping now, as we’ve done more practice and I’m having some lessons working on my position. I’m still doing an almighty pony club kick on the approach which is such an ingrained habit and isn’t helping either of us - any tips?

Sprat

Visit site
Although the new show jacket just about fits I need to let down the arms and sort out the waist darts - it is NOT a flattering thing. Any tips on good show jackets that cater for those with 'magnificent' bust lines and orangutan arms would be very welcome!

We had a great morning though. We didn't just stay in the boards, we came second out of nine with a score of 62.6%. :D

No spooking in the arena, I remembered the test and grinned like an eejit most of the way round. Lots to learn and improve on - particularly getting away from relying on my reins, better control via seat/legs and getting him going so he is less on the forehand. To be fair to him he didn't relax at all in the warm up and I didn't give him enough time to do so, so some of the test was rushed or drifting slightly to the left.

The warm up area was the worst bit. He was very worried about the grass mats he had to walk over, the hose lying across the field, the barrow and the water trugs. On a more positive note he couldn't have cared less about the other strange horses in the area.

I am beyond chuffed with him and his owner is delighted.

View attachment 26703

Well done milliepops - and I have lorry envy!

Sorry to read it didn't go so well sprat. Hope you both bounce back.

Fantastic news, well done you pair!!

Ceriann

Visit site
Lots of great updates. Kira looks very pleased with herself MP (as she should be). So sorry about the fall Sprat - hope it’s not too painful.

JFTD my mare has suddenly got scared out hacking, we had a good nap at a new crack in the road from our house on Friday. It was definitely going to get her. Unfortunately field work is scarier - we were having great fun hacking round our neighbour (farmers) fields until she decided it was very C6CB618C-4D5D-4610-9765-BD988C9BB8DD.jpegE99C0F7F-2E91-46F3-8DA0-3454A70F1439.jpeg6B3630E5-0EFC-492C-9213-6CF490C0FBA6.jpeg87342503-D478-4D14-B51A-FC1538BBD250.jpegB99E4576-E130-49C7-82B6-72D85CC9BBD9.jpegscary (it was only a matter of time before i came off!). Making road work boring again is the aim!

We had a good lesson yesterday - I’m managing to get her together every now and again. Two week of hard practice now before our next lesson to test whether we are ready for novice. Photo overload - instructor took a video and as OH has got bored of trying I’ve gone overboard!

scats

Visit site
We survived our first prelim. Unfortunately someone suddenly loomed in the gallery in a big red coat as we approached the corner for our first canter transition and she went off like an Exocet missile haha!
So our canter circle went out the window, then we had to pass spooky corner again and she lost the plot, motorbiked the corner and broke canter early.
Marginally improved in second canter but she was tense as hell at that end now (the canter end, typically) and we never quite recovered.
Apart from that, I was really pleased with her

Glanced at the board before we left and we were propping the class up with 62.89% and there were still 10 or so to go so I decided to come home and will collect my sheet in the week.

In all fairness to her, it’s her third ever test, first ever prelim and she hasn’t been out for about 2 months. I’ll forgive the zoomies on this occasion!
E6742369-82CF-44D4-A48F-FD6AC4DC51AC.jpeg
6C07C7DC-16B3-4373-9744-3AE70B7A878F.jpeg

Mule

Visit site
Brill start to the weekend for us, despite it being absolutely freezing cold, wet and windy. Kira was sharp as a sharp thing at the show, napping and generally being ridiculous, which left me questioning the wisdom of doing a show on the back of a 2 week holiday...:rolleyes: but somehow we managed to pull a 67% score out of the bag when it mattered so that's her qualification for the AM music regionals done. Hurrah! :cool:
Cold soggy pony

43747863_2178088725535959_6297933721215434752_n.jpg

And then exciting developments for the orange ponies, we have had a pony taxi upgrade :D OH bought this the night before our wedding ;) and he picked it up yesterday, I went to see it for the first time today. Very much looking forward to having a proper bit of nice living for stay away shows, it needs a bit of TLC before the horses can go in it (was bought as a bit of a project) but nothing too major so should be trucking (with a chauffeur) next month. Then I need to do my lorry test o_O

44865278_2177806328897532_7968839908196352000_n.jpg
She's gorgeous 🐎

zaminda

Visit site
Well done everyone sounds like a good weekend!! Hope you aren't too sore Sprat, its annoying when it all goes wrong!
A great day for us going XC. Seemed like a very long course when I walked it, and I blew a lot going round showing how unfit I have got for not riding for a living! The little pony absolutely flew though, pinged everything on what was basically a BE 80 course, and was only 6 seconds too slow, but with the course causing lots of problems, there were 2 loose horses while I was walking it he was 2nd! Really pleased with him, as he doesn't seem quite himself at the moment, not sure if he needs more energy food wise or if something more sinister is going on. I have the vet coming in a few weeks for teeth, so going to get bloods taken and keep an eye on him in the meantime.

blood_magik

Visit site
Lots of positives - well done everyone.
Hope those who had unplanned dismounts aren’t too sore...

Beau and Ellie had a three day BS show this weekend. Ellie was the star, jumping three discovery double clears with a pole down in the British novice on Friday morning. That’s her got her 4 DCs to go through to second rounds.

Beau had 4 faults in the 1m both days but both rounds were a massive improvement on his lessons (he was super fresh both days and kept broncing between fences 🙈). Think I made the right decision to move back down a class until we get the right bridle/leg combo - think we’re getting close now 👌🏻

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD my mare has suddenly got scared out hacking, we had a good nap at a new crack in the road from our house on Friday. It was definitely going to get her. Unfortunately field work is scarier - we were having great fun hacking round our neighbour (farmers) fields until she decided it was very scary (it was only a matter of time before i came off!). Making road work boring again is the aim!

Glad it's not just me who finds themselves on the floor leading on hacks. Mine doesn't really do anything - I doubt she'd ditch me, or bugger off - but she just feels so stressed, and calms down when I get off / get back on later. I want her to hack calmly and enjoy it, and not be scared (like she was before I moved :rolleyes: although the move itself has given us far better hacking and a nicer set up so I don't regret it at all). She was very looky and wobbly today, but didn't get off, and she was much more confident in canter so hey ho.

I’m still doing an almighty pony club kick on the approach which is such an ingrained habit and isn’t helping either of us - any tips?

I used to do this with Fergus, and it bled over when I was jumping Dae too - I found that by making sure the canter was solidly forward, then on the approach (when I'd want to kick), I just stuck my leg forward. Obviously it has to wrap round, and stay on, but actively stick it forward so you can't kick, and it's nice and stable for the fence. I've done so little jumping with my mare, I don't know if I managed to break the habit for good or not though!

Snowfilly

Visit site
It was freezing at the riding school show and the clear round which normally stays in it's 30 minute slot was still going strong after an hour so a long day!

The lovely creamy schoolmaster I rode a fortnight ago was free; he was a bit bouncy wih his fresh clip but pulled out a lovely double clear in the 90, and we came second to the same whizzy welsh who won last time. There were 13 starters but only 2 clears, so the four faulters jumped off for placings with us.

Onto the 95, and I was a bit nervous as the track was evil, loads of changing legs required and a horrible dog leg from planks to a big upright. But we sailed round clear and then I let him down in the jump off - went for speed, buried him under fence two so he knocked it and then he was cross and not listening so we ploughed through 3, then shook ourselves and jumped the rest fine. Pretty pleased as we got 4th anyway, and would have won if I'd not messed him up - we had almost a second in hand.

He's such a lovely boy!

Fiona

Visit site
I had a fantastic round with Fionn this morning round a really spooky derby course with water trays, XC portables and show jumps. Just a red wall caught us out, spooked sideways jumped from a standstill and pole off... Rest really confident though. Love my pony.

Fiona

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Sounds like lots of people had a great weekend, well done all!

We had a really nice test and a perfect SJ round, our best ever I think. XC looked awesome, and like lots of fun. i was looking forward to it. Got into the start box and Coolie was really backward and spooky, not himself at all. Jumped 1 and 2 ok, then got to 3 and he wasn't having any of it. Got him over on the third attempt, jumped 4A huge and I knew we wouldn't make it to B and so I retired. We think he twisted a shoe int he warm up and moved it enough to not feel confident and comfortable because he is usually so bold, and XC is our strongest phase.

Sadly our last event of the season and not the way I had hoped it would go, but that's horses.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Loving everyone's posts and can finally, actually join in again! We went and shared a lesson with another lovely livery for our first trip in our very own transport. Feels crazy saying that after years of waiting. Chilli didn't mind the large amount of arena mirrors at all. I now seriously want some arena mirrors! Loaded easily both ways. A tiny bit of resistance on the way there but pressure with the rope halter fixed that in about 20 seconds! On the way home pretty much loaded herself!

She worked nicely in our lesson though it did show up how unbalanced our canter has become with all summer off and mostly hacking since coming back into work!

Attachments

• 44896687_1082161531943493_3277326974770479104_o.jpg
    44896687_1082161531943493_3277326974770479104_o.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 9
  • 44961413_1082558768570436_6485551477686272000_n.jpg
    44961413_1082558768570436_6485551477686272000_n.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 9

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Taking the pressure off Milliepops lol

I'm currently sat in the airport waiting for my flight to England for a 3 day clinic with one of Philippe Karl's instructors from Germany. I would have loved to be taking M but the travel is a bit too much for him still at 5 yrs old so a lovely friend is lending me on of her horses. Fab :)

That sounds awesome. Please report back!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That sounds exciting Wheels. Hope you have fun.

Im off to camp at Somerford this weekend. Im more excited than usual, as there's about 10 of us going. All fabulously bonkers ladies who love their gin nearly as much as their ponies . Just hoping the weather holds out for us.

I love Somerford. We were on the Farm Ride yesterday and weather was glorious. Hope you had a great time.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Sorry about the fall Sprat. Hope you are not too sore.
Some great updates from everyone. Sounds like a very positive weekend for most!
I've not competed Amber since my last BE80 as she has been feeling slightly flat. But took her to a XC clinic and she was flying and she feels better on the flat too so I think she's ok now. So have entered Arena Eventing for next week.

Max has gone lame so he's off the market. Grrrrrr. It is very, very subtle but vet is confident he's not right. The first sign of a problem was stopping at fences which he just NEVER does and then just not looking as fluid as normal and a bit of a head nod. Work-up this afternoon using something called a lameness locator? Vet said it is more accurate than anything but the most trained eye - think top bod at Newmarket kind of trained. Most ordinary equine vets are out-performed by the machine. Interestingly he said most vets like it but those who are very confident in their opinions don't! Should be the other way around really but humans are funny folk.

Hannahgb

Visit site
We were clear on Saturday in the 95cm. She hadn't been out since Hickstead and came out like a fire breathing dragon. Very wobbly, speedy round but she felt confident.

Mum and I schooled both yesterday. First time mum has ridden in the school with company. I was like a proud parent watching her canter round! haha

Fiona

Visit site
Loving everyone's posts and can finally, actually join in again! We went and shared a lesson with another lovely livery for our first trip in our very own transport. Feels crazy saying that after years of waiting. Chilli didn't mind the large amount of arena mirrors at all. I now seriously want some arena mirrors! Loaded easily both ways. A tiny bit of resistance on the way there but pressure with the rope halter fixed that in about 20 seconds! On the way home pretty much loaded herself!

She worked nicely in our lesson though it did show up how unbalanced our canter has become with all summer off and mostly hacking since coming back into work!

I love mirrors too, but I don't think I can persuade my husband of their uses sadly :(

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Sorry about the fall Sprat. Hope you are not too sore.
Some great updates from everyone. Sounds like a very positive weekend for most!
I've not competed Amber since my last BE80 as she has been feeling slightly flat. But took her to a XC clinic and she was flying and she feels better on the flat too so I think she's ok now. So have entered Arena Eventing for next week.

Max has gone lame so he's off the market. Grrrrrr. It is very, very subtle but vet is confident he's not right. The first sign of a problem was stopping at fences which he just NEVER does and then just not looking as fluid as normal and a bit of a head nod. Work-up this afternoon using something called a lameness locator? Vet said it is more accurate than anything but the most trained eye - think top bod at Newmarket kind of trained. Most ordinary equine vets are out-performed by the machine. Interestingly he said most vets like it but those who are very confident in their opinions don't! Should be the other way around really but humans are funny folk.

Good luck this afternoon, your ponies are certainly trying your patience this year :(

FIona