Weekend Plans

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Good luck this afternoon, your ponies are certainly trying your patience this year :(

FIona

Yes very frustrating but hopefully it won't be anything much. The only thing I am worried about is that failed vetting in July trotting circles on a hard surface - vet said probably nothing so put shoes on the backs and vet again but buyer walked away. But before I put him up for sale again I sent him to sales livery and got the sales livery person to ask her local vet to re-vet him and he passed! I specifically asked the vet to check out the query from the other vet so I felt reassured. But now I am wondering whether the original vet had seen something real after all which means something that was niggling in July not just a recent knock. That's why I'm not just turning away for a while but starting the workup straight away.

But hopefully the vetting in July may be totally unrelated to whatever is going on now. If only they could talk!!!!

Asha

Visit site
had a great time thspipcamp1.jpgpipcamp3.jpgpipcamp2.jpgfinncamp1.jpgfinncamp2.jpg

You must have been there after lunch, as it was Baltic ! Even the gin didn't help. We did have a great time though. My daughter and Finn had the best time, doing all stuff they've never done before. Shes made up. Pip found the XC a bit too exciting, bucked all the way up and down the banks, couldn't stand still waiting for her turn ( a little rear) so had to keep her moving. Then jumped everything I asked brilliantly. However, at the end of the XC she heard Finn whinny, and launched into the air, bronced and dropped her shoulder, off I came, and she ran back to the stables. A bit of mild concussion for me and an achy bum but otherwise ok. Shes never bothered before about Finn,so this took me by surprise. So guess I need to work on gaining her trust a bit more.

Hope you are OK Sprat.Well done to everyone else out and about.

I love Somerford. We were on the Farm Ride yesterday and weather was glorious. Hope you had a great time.

Fiona

Visit site
Ouch Asha :(

Hope your bruise isn't too sore...

What gorgeous horses, are they IDs??

My wee boy was so so pleased with himself, and even drew the trophy for his 60cm class.... He's worked so hard this year on a new spooky pony, and in the last two weeks has won his class at RC dressage champs, and then his SJ on Saturday went so well. I'm so pleased for him too, and with hubby and I for persevering...

AE - hopefully its something minor and unrelated to the summer vetting fail (when you consider how hard the ground was then). Keep us posted after this afternoon x x

Fiona

Wheels

Visit site
Had a great few days at the clinic. I arrived Thursday lunch time and my friend with her 2 horses arrived about 10 mins later.

We unloaded and put them into their paddock whilst we got a drink and a catch up. After an hour or so we unpacked the lorry and then had a quick ride. It's always interesting riding someone else's horse. There were some similarities to my own horse which was good but also some differences so I knew a learning curve was afoot.

Day 1 of the clinic is a run through to see where each partnership was at, what we had been concentrating on etc. My story was very short! So a quick WTC on each rein, check the bend and direction etc which all went pretty well considering our short relationship. The horse was very sweet and looked after me well. Then we tried shoulder in and it all fell apart a bit! Although I have done SI with quite a number of horses I just couldn't seem to get all the aids right on this boy, the right rein was not too bad and left rein in walk was kind of ok but left rein trot was just not working. Something to work on! Had a good chat that evening with the owner who thought that I wasn't sitting straight to begin with and then definitely not positioning my body correctly or turning my shoulders enough.

Day 2, in the morning we continued working as per the previous day, I had a chat with the owner and teacher to say where I/ we thought I'd gone wrong the day before. During my lesson then we did some work on turns and circles to get my body in better alignment and for me to feel the correct turn of my torso etc. Then onto the shoulder in and it was much better. So much so that we then went on to look at some travers and half pass that for some reason I find much easier, not sure why exactly lol

Later on in the evening we had a small and short group session to consolidate what we had learnt earlier which was good, I felt more relaxed by this point and the session went well.

Day 3 (final day) we went through what we had done previously and then looked at playing with the contact and altering the horses frame, concentrating on the quality of the outside rein contact.

All in all a very helpful clinic, M is just starting SI and will move on to the other lateral work once SI is a bit more established so lots of the stuff we did this weekend will help me with all of that.

Looking forward to getting home to see my boys :)

Asha

Visit site
Ouch Asha :(

Hope your bruise isn't too sore...

What gorgeous horses, are they IDs??

My wee boy was so so pleased with himself, and even drew the trophy for his 60cm class.... He's worked so hard this year on a new spooky pony, and in the last two weeks has won his class at RC dressage champs, and then his SJ on Saturday went so well. I'm so pleased for him too, and with hubby and I for persevering...

AE - hopefully its something minor and unrelated to the summer vetting fail (when you consider how hard the ground was then). Keep us posted after this afternoon x x

Fiona

fair play to your son, that's brilliant. You cant beat getting a trophy. Does he want to event ?

Yes, both of ours are full IDs, Finn is an 8 yo by Carrickrock close shave, hes a total dude, and Pip is 6 and by Archie.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site

Well he was totally sound today! Vet and Lameness Locator were in agreement that he was fine. Perhaps he is trying to tell me he does not want me to sell him!! Plan is to work him quite hard for 2 weeks then re-assess. If all is fine we can assume whatever the problem was (if it was really there in the first place) has resolved. If not then at least there will be something to see and treat.

Fiona

Visit site
Well he was totally sound today! Vet and Lameness Locator were in agreement that he was fine. Perhaps he is trying to tell me he does not want me to sell him!! Plan is to work him quite hard for 2 weeks then re-assess. If all is fine we can assume whatever the problem was (if it was really there in the first place) has resolved. If not then at least there will be something to see and treat.

That's really super news.....

Fiona

Bernster

Visit site
I used to do this with Fergus, and it bled over when I was jumping Dae too - I found that by making sure the canter was solidly forward, then on the approach (when I'd want to kick), I just stuck my leg forward. Obviously it has to wrap round, and stay on, but actively stick it forward so you can't kick, and it's nice and stable for the fence. I've done so little jumping with my mare, I don't know if I managed to break the habit for good or not though!

Cheers jftd. I’ll try that - I do need to have something else to do with my legs as it’s not enough to just think STOP doing that as it’s so ingrained. I need to force myself to do something else! Sticking legs forward is likelyto be less annoying for us both and they’re usually too far back so I’ll prob actually be placing them about right!

j1ffy

Visit site
Loving everyone's posts and can finally, actually join in again! We went and shared a lesson with another lovely livery for our first trip in our very own transport. Feels crazy saying that after years of waiting. Chilli didn't mind the large amount of arena mirrors at all. I now seriously want some arena mirrors! Loaded easily both ways. A tiny bit of resistance on the way there but pressure with the rope halter fixed that in about 20 seconds! On the way home pretty much loaded herself!

She worked nicely in our lesson though it did show up how unbalanced our canter has become with all summer off and mostly hacking since coming back into work!

Yay - it's great to see Chilli back in work!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
just back from a VERY cold trip to Beacons for our PSG area festival. I'm very glad to be indoors tonight because last night there was a hard frost and the campbed in the back of my little lorry was NOT a comfortable place to be :eek: Brrrrrr! o_O

Anyway, it was worth the trip and the frostbite. Kira warmed up like an absolute pro, I was so chuffed with how she felt especially considering I've only ridden her 4 times since her 2+ week holiday ;) We were sent into the arena a little early but she was about ready, and tried her socks off. Normally at a championship show she drops me as we go up the centre line, it's happened every time without fail pretty much so I was delighted that she kept on going and stayed connected and cheerful. We just had some mistakes in the tempis when she lost a bit of attentiveness which was a shame, if I'd had my whip I'm confident we'd have pulled them off as she did some cracking lines in the warm up. But it's just one of those things.

The mistakes kept the score low at 60.something but we were definitely Not Last and snapped up the 8th place frilly :D Chuffed to bits as with 3 judges there is nowhere to hide and other than the tempis whoopsy she felt very rideable and happy in her comfort zone. I felt my eyes go a bit misty as we started the test as I still can't quite believe that my £2 project has blossomed like this :) The stables were full of chatter about how everyone's horses were bred, there were some super smart horses there and I was listening thinking... cob done good! :cool:

Anyway, it's written on the rosette so it must be true, *pinches self* Prix St Georges!
45072016_2184511291560369_782439970706030592_n.jpg

Cutest horse on the showground

45097797_2184510564893775_8010902601690251264_n.jpg