weekend plans!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What's everyone got planned?
we have absolutely nothing, boo :( was supposed to have a clinic on Sunday but Kira has just had her flu booster and routine dental, which became a little bit not routine when the vet found a teeny fragment of wolf tooth that has migrated up through the gum. It popped out easily enough but now she has to have a week without a bit to let it heal.
So we're living through the HHO WPers this week :D

snoozy :cool:

oldie48

Visit site
Nothing for me either. I hurt my back coming off Rose and it was painful to ride so once Rose had had her back sorted I took her off for schooling. She was due to go anyway as I have a holiday in Barcelona with my daughter next week but she went early. Good luck to anyone out competing this weekend I hope the weather is kind, it's pretty miserable here.

Fiona

Visit site
I've an entry in a SJ/XC competition on Saturday but given recent comments on here about us I'm digging my heels in and refusing to go...

There is some WH on at a new venue too, I suppose that could be an alternative.

My son will probably want to go SJ on Friday night with his pony too 😊

We also have lessons next week, both of us flatwork on Monday, and PC rally for him on Tuesday.

Fiona

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Slow one for me too - Amber and Jenny have physio and I am fixing the lorry after dearest daughter pulled down the steps when I was filling up to fetch something from the living area and did not put them back up again. And I did not check when I came out of fuel station and got back in and drove off. Lorry steps vs dry stone wall = 2 big bills......

My RI made me feel better though - she did exactly the same thing on the M6, caught the steps on the toll booth and destroyed it, getting stuck in the process. Motorway had to be closed!

Did have a good SJ lesson today though. In the pouring rain.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Jesus christ, AE :eek: "At least I didn't cause the motorway to be shut" is a new one for the "creative good points of a horse outing" list.

Didn't die.
Horse didn't die.
Spectators didn't die [because of us].
Didn't cause major traffic incident on way home.

#WinningAtEqLife

:D:D:D

I felt terrible. I should have checked. We even have a 'pre-flight checklist' in the lorry as I am so paranoid about being responsible for something awful happening if something swings open. Now I realise I need to use the list 'mid flight' too! Daughter felt even worse as it was her who put the steps down.

But yes perspective is a wonderful thing!!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Still nothing exciting from us, ponies are finally back in work after the move to Wales but box is off having its clutch replaced, think it just wanted a break from all the moving :p.

JFTDWS

Visit site

I felt terrible. I should have checked. We even have a 'pre-flight checklist' in the lorry as I am so paranoid about being responsible for something awful happening if something swings open. Now I realise I need to use the list 'mid flight' too! Daughter felt even worse as it was her who put the steps down.

I should confess I often drive off without shutting the side door on the trailer. I do now usually remember to double check it, but it's pretty embarrassing!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
#winningatEqlife needs to be a thread of its own!

My nomination: fetched ponies in during monsoon. Fell over. Covered self in mud. Lost gloves in mud. Got boots stuck in mud. BUT ponies didn't drown and I managed to free my boots. Eventually. #winningatEqlife.

Fiona

Visit site
What comments Fiona? Have I missed something!

In another thread I posted about spooky ponies.. While mainly helpful, it was pretty negative about my riding, so I'm not really very keen to take it out in public any time soon.

Its a pity because I attended a goal setting evening with my instructor last Monday, and had a new exciting plan for 2019...

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site

I've done it too, but fortunately we hit a soft verge rather than a stone wall..

Poor you x x

Fiona

Denbob

Visit site
#winningatEqlife needs to be a thread of its own!

My nomination: fetched ponies in during monsoon. Fell over. Covered self in mud. Lost gloves in mud. Got boots stuck in mud. BUT ponies didn't drown and I managed to free my boots. Eventually. #winningatEqlife.

AE absolutely it should! Poobags about the lorry though :/

The love affair with handsome maxi cob continues as I relearn what it's like to ride something that is capable of a straight line without trying to renegotiate the meaning of a straight line... or pick my nose with his ears lunging for a particularly tasty tree branch. I do miss my beast though, 6 weeks and counting til he's home!

As always, good luck to all :)

oldie48

Visit site

Easily done, to date I have left top part of my 3.5 open (my fault), had my ramp come down twice (not my fault) and had the internal partition come loose (my fault as I hadn't done it up properly) I was extremely lucky and no-one died although my horse seemed very surprised. I had the perfect candid camera moment attempting to put ramp back up on a narrow lane, I walked backwards and ended up falling in a ditch which was full of water, fortunately no-one was around and I was only a short distance from home! I do have a different lorry now.

Mule

Visit site
In another thread I posted about spooky ponies.. While mainly helpful, it was pretty negative about my riding, so I'm not really very keen to take it out in public any time soon.

Its a pity because I attended a goal setting evening with my instructor last Monday, and had a new exciting plan for 2019...

Fiona
Ignore it. Your instructor knows you best. If he/she thought your goals were on target then crack on with it.

Bernster

Visit site
Ah yes I have also encountered the ripping off of steps off a lorry. Gatepost didn't fare so well either. Oops. That must happen so often with those drop down steps.

And Fiona - hopefully you'll have seen the positive response on your other post, if not, go look again in a few days maybe and hopefully you can add some of those tips to your goal setting plan.

I'll try and keep up the activity for this weekend too. Finally out and about. SJ lesson off site to see if I've been able to make any improvements with the practice at home, although I still don't feel prepared enough. Then a wobbleberry outing on Sunday xc at horse heath. Wouldn't normally go out twice in one weekend so it's a bit all or nothing with me at the moment, Fingers crossed we haven't forgotten how to behave out in the lorry (and by that, I really mean my daft hoss!).

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mule beat me to it, Fiona!Not read the thread but whatever it says, people who know you IRL are in a far better position to guide you and set goals for you. I used to get a fair bit of grief on another forum for messing up Amber by being generally sh1t. (I am paraphrasing). I was a bit sh1t to be fair. And still am. But I try hard, am improving and we are slowly getting there. With the odd detour! I'd never ever have taken Amber eventing at any level if I was waiting for someone else's seal of approval on it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd never ever have taken Amber eventing at any level if I was waiting for someone else's seal of approval on it.
there are so many things like that with horses. I certainly wouldn't be doing ridiculous dressage with Kira :eek:

and I think even if you did see some things that resonated with you in your thread, Fiona, there are things you can do next time you ride that could make a difference without the need for too much heartache or endless hours of work at home :) like riding the very best lines between fences, a few more half halts etc, pretty painless good habits to re-establish with a green pony that we all get sloppy about now and then!

Fiona

Visit site
Good luck bernster, that's a busy weekend for you, but I hope it all goes really well.

That sounds terribly funny in retrospect oldie, but I'm sure you weren't seeing the funny side at the time 😣😣

Thanks AE, MP, bernster and mule... I've a poles and grid work session planned for tomorrow morning, it's all going to be about canter quality... Still not sure about going out in public though.

Fiona

Hallo2012

Visit site
arena hire early sat, prepping hard for midget mans first show!

sunday-probably a day of rest for midgets as i am teaching all day, but if the weather holds i might squeeze a hack in sun evening!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just read thread. Thanks so much for posting videos. I am a stills only person! Nowhere near brave enough. I could post Sunday's car crash of a round to give everyone a giggle. But I won't. It makes your rounds look like a master class in style and technique!

Remember it is 1000X harder to DO than to critique..... It is all very easy in theory. I use videos a lot in lessons for that reason - you can see so much more clearly what is going wrong.

I found a lot of the replies really helpful as I have similar problems with canter quality. So I hope you find the advice as useful as I have!

Fiona

Visit site
arena hire early sat, prepping hard for midget mans first show!

sunday-probably a day of rest for midgets as i am teaching all day, but if the weather holds i might squeeze a hack in sun evening!

Pics needed afterwards. I love your mini ponies progress on fb, and being dumb I only noticed your name change on here v recently.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Just read thread. Thanks so much for posting videos. I am a stills only person! Nowhere near brave enough. I could post Sunday's car crash of a round to give everyone a giggle. But I won't. It makes your rounds look like a master class in style and technique!

Remember it is 1000X harder to DO than to critique..... It is all very easy in theory. I use videos a lot in lessons for that reason - you can see so much more clearly what is going wrong.

I found a lot of the replies really helpful as I have similar problems with canter quality. So I hope you find the advice as useful as I have!

Thanks... I need to keep saying 'half halt & rebalance ' into myself and not let him get long.

Fiona