weekend plans!

Snowfilly

Visit site
Snowfilly - you may have explained this elsewhere, but why can't you ride at your riding school over the summer? As a separate issue, you don't need to have experience to dressage scribe, just have neat handwriting and be able to spell rhythm.....

I can luckily, keep up with my weekly lessons which will be good. They do some dressage comps but no jumping until October now.

My boy was put down just before Christmas after an accident, we had a full spring / summer of shows planned and it's the first time in 20+ years I've been horseless, so really finding it hard. Almost everyone else there is a livery, and hearing them all talk about summer plans and shows is tough ATM.

I miss my boy, and I feel cheated out of everything we should have had this summer. Self pity I guess!

Fiona

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
It sounds like some really good weekends had by everyone!

i had a lesson on Saturday morning, and it RAINED! We got wet to the skin, it was lovely! Our lesson was amazing too, really eye opening. I have realised that life is so much easier with a horse who finds his job easy, and who enjoys it. What a huge difference between my two horses. It's good though, and it makes me excited for everything the future holds

Northern

Visit site
It sounds like some really good weekends had by everyone!

i had a lesson on Saturday morning, and it RAINED! We got wet to the skin, it was lovely! Our lesson was amazing too, really eye opening. I have realised that life is so much easier with a horse who finds his job easy, and who enjoys it. What a huge difference between my two horses. It's good though, and it makes me excited for everything the future holds

I just read your latest blog post AE (procrastination-reading ;) ). You may as well have been talking about a revelation I have had with my young TB the last few weeks. I tend to throw away contact as well and have really been focusing on not doing that the last few sessions and can really feel the difference in the consistency in contact and movement. Hopefully I can grab a few lessons when I'm home to follow up!

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I just read your latest blog post AE (procrastination-reading ;) ). You may as well have been talking about a revelation I have had with my young TB the last few weeks. I tend to throw away contact as well and have really been focusing on not doing that the last few sessions and can really feel the difference in the consistency in contact and movement. Hopefully I can grab a few lessons when I'm home to follow up!

Th struggle is real, but the difference when you maintain it is amazing! Why is it the little things that are the hardest to do?

Chippers1

Visit site
Thanks for nice comments, because he was on high alert (doesn't really like the venue) he was doing the nicest bounciest forward canter in the warm up, wish I had done dressage with it! still it worked well for the first part of the round until we lost momentum ha ha.

Well done everyone else getting out in the weather!

j1ffy

Visit site
I can finally join in again as we've been out somewhere the last two weekend! We've been focusing on training with our new instructor since Areas in August but I finally booked some dressage in again - Ele and Medium tests last weekend and again yesterday. Indio seemed particularly peeved to be out in storm Freya and very fragile in the contact so I kept the first comp very positive and didn't ask for much, so was pleased with a 65% in the Ele and 63% in the medium (only our 6th medium I think...). Then yesterday he was the complete opposite and an absolute dobbin! I'd not taken my schooling whip as he'd been so tense and sharp the week before, which resulted in me having to carry him around the Ele for a disappointing 63.09%. I jazzed him up for the medium and was happy with 63.45% there, with lots of obvious things we can work on.

As I'm clearly so ring-rusty and in need of tailoring our warm-up I've entered us for two Eles on Thursday, fingers crossed we can get our scores up otherwise I'll be in for a kicking from my instructor!

IHW - I'm a bit in love with Oz! Is he 3 rising 4, or 3 this year? What's the plan with him after his holiday?

RO - great to see Chilli out and about :D

Michen

Visit site
Boggle being... well Boggle. Jumping like a stag schooling around the tweseldown be100 course with his rider this morning. Until he slammed the anchors on at this brush, no real reason other than I think it took him by surprise and he’s so bold it took rider by surprise too! I think that’s the first thing he’s ever stopped at really.. promptly deposited rider into the brush and then immediately grabbed a mouthful of it and had a bit of breakfast before jumping it second time. Can’t help but love him, good thing she does too!8EF6FA67-6D67-4150-BCFB-FF688787AF74.png03A458F6-D39B-4BE5-9299-C9CF94B49638.pngBC879446-6E1B-48F6-A8DF-F1804CC9D14F.png

zaminda

Visit site
Great to hear people have had positive weekends it makes the hard work so much more worthwhile doesn't it!!
We had an interesting day at our ride. Thankfully it was a vet I have had before with different horses so he listened when I explained she wasn't that great with the front end and I opened her mouth for checking so we got that issue out of the way fairly easily! She nearly b***here's off in the trot up though which was quite funny especially as we had a bridle on!
The ride itself was ok with some lovely going mixed in with a couple of er really bits! The marking however was something else. I got lost repeatedly and it really soured the day especially as I wasn't on my own and my company got really fed up with it. We managed to turn 33k into 39k so we ended up with a technically slow time. I was happy to make it back to the venue in one piece.
A different vet on the way back in but another sensible one. This time she was less happy about me touching round her mouth and did threaten to rear but she didn't do more than come a couple of inches off the floor so I was pretty pleased. It doesn't matter how much work I do with her sometimes she is ok and sometimes she isn't! It's very frustrating and will seriously limit her doing endurance.
Mercifully she passed the vet so a good finish with a grade 2.
Next week hopefully showjumping so no dramas with that!!

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks for nice comments, because he was on high alert (doesn't really like the venue) he was doing the nicest bounciest forward canter in the warm up, wish I had done dressage with it! still it worked well for the first part of the round until we lost momentum ha ha.

Well done everyone else getting out in the weather!

That's how I felt in the warm up last week 😣😣

Fiona

Chippers1

Visit site
That's how I felt in the warm up last week 😣😣

Fiona

Horses hey! Who'd have them :D. We were so nice and forward and pingy that I got complacent and forgot to ride....
I went back as he didn't like the venue before and we had a rubbish round, it was better but he still isn't a fan! I'm going back for dressage at the beginning of April so we'll see how that goes...

Bernster

Visit site
Did he go, or did he not?

Not with me initially. Did when my ins got on him though but still didn't jump it smoothly although they did it a few times. Tricky again with me but we did manage it. Need to find some friendly ones for more practice. He's fine with smaller ones, but when they get like this one, he doesn't like em!

Abi90

Visit site
Abi90 - that seems unfair, did you ask for the double to be lowered. Youngsters can lose confidence very easily if they are tired. My Connie was shellshocked at the 2nd day of a two day show last summer.

Fiona

Yes but he wouldn’t as he just thought it was a “discipline issue” despite having been told she was very green! The problem is she looks quite established in her canter and the way she jumps. Oh well, next weekend we have a lesson so will have to take doubles back to tiny cross poles to build her confidence