Weekend plans :)

Trinket12

Visit site
What a pain. Is the end in sight yet?

Hoping Monday, that will be the 3 weeks. But some horses were swabbed this week so if there are any new cases, it will be longer! She's a least in an outside paddock and not cooped up in a stable. Fingers crossed I get to have my Tuesday lesson (well after a good lunging session first :D)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well we had one of those crap on paper but actually brilliant days :D

first time doing 2 prelims and he was absolutely not ready to do a good test but definitely ready to have a go. Happily both judges saw the funny side of his comedy antics :p He warmed up well, it was very busy and not the best example of warm up arena etiquette so I was pleased with his attitude. Did some humpy canter in the warm up but settled without exploding.
Prelim 19 first, quite a busy test and it was in the *most* scary arena so he went green as grass but remembered the function my legs were attempting to perform in terms of steering ;) so he stayed pretty much on his line all the way round even if we had a few deranged giraffe moments. The left canter has vanished again but it's just a straightness thing- I need a good few steps to prepare the transition and he was too busy giraffing to let himself be prepared. It'll come back.

Prelim 18 next, different spooky arena but 100% better than last time we were in there and again went in the right places but just shoved his ears up my nose in the scary areas. Still no left canter but the right was reasonably rideable.

55 and 60% were the scores, marks ranging from 8s to 2s :p in a few months that would be disappointing but today the scores were totally irrelevant, I was absolutely chuffed that he improved so much on the last outing and also that I feel a lot braver about chucking us both in the deep end, and knowing we will manage it. He was sharp and spooky today but never felt unsafe which is brilliant. I feel like I am starting to be able to channel him forward now, just need the submissiveness to improve a bit when he's anxious and then it'll be easy.

Some might think it's pointless to keep going out when his work in the ring is so backward compared to what he can really do elsewhere, but it's doing wonders for my confidence in our partnership, and we have to get through this stage at some point so may as well be now. I don't mind coming last in some unaff shows in the meantime ;)

Reacher

Visit site
Well done MP. Years ago I did a test on retired mare (also ex-racer) and we got some 2s and comments of “very tense”, I was mortified but feel a bit better if you occasionally get them too!?
Just realised you got 8s too - we didn’t...
Yay I did go arena eventing in the 75 cm class. He was a bit worked up by horses flying around the collecting ring and we didn’t settle into as nice s rhythm as I’d have liked - we had a run out at number 3 (very unusual- think he was distracted by something beyond the jump) but apart from that we had a good round.

milliepops

Visit site
Well done MP. Years ago I did a test on retired mare (also ex-racer) and we got some 2s and comments of “very tense”, I was mortified but feel a bit better if you occasionally get them too!?
Yay I did go arena eventing in the 75 cm class. He was a bit worked up by horses flying around the collecting ring and we didn’t settle into as nice s rhythm as I’d have liked - we had a run out at number 3 (very unusual- think he was distracted by something beyond the jump) but apart from that we had a good round.
? Darcy really isn't really up for doing any concentrating yet so his test sheets range from the sublime to the ridiculous! Some bits are great and lots is fairly daft. I am used to kira throwing a curve ball so it never bothers me if we get a duff mark or 2. At the moment they are well deserved anyway ?

Wheels

Visit site
Sounds like a positive outing MP

We had a great lesson today. Slight adjustment to my rein length made a huge difference. Lots of work on transitions, worked on fully utilising the corners, some counter canter, centre lines.

We also had a good discussion about the warm up for next weeks show and a plan for just before entering the arena to keep him in front of my leg

oldie48

Visit site
MP Knowing where you were today I think you deserve a gold star and Darcy did brilliantly too. I hate the warm up there and the arenas give them a lot to look at!
I've had a really good couple of days with Rose, she schooled nicely yesterday and was super in our "eyes on the ground" lesson today despite the attention of hundreds of pheasant that have escaped destruction this season (and I do mean 100's). The arena today is super spooky without the beady eyes but she totally ignored everything except the pile of white potties at the side (for pole work). ATM Rose is nicely forward and working into a secure contact, she's much more prepared to stay in self carriage and on the hind leg, she is getting stronger all the time. Loved riding her this week and feeling I have got over the worst of my worries, thank goodness. Canter work is improving all the time and I don't feel as if she's running off with me. As I put in another post, I used the VIP pad for the first time today and am quietly impressed.

little_critter

Visit site
hope you both enjoy it :D
I don't canter enough at home because I'm too busy managing his spooking, so need to engineer things that make me crack on :p yesterday was good for that, I would normally have spent longer making him go better before letting rip but instructor wanted to see his canter so we just had to wing it. Good for both of us!

(also much easier to wing it when there's someone around to scoop you up if need be, rather than your frozen corpse being discovered the next morning :eek:)
Glad to hear it’s not just me. I’m seriously thinking of changing to schooling in the morning now we have a bit more light. I can’t do any constructive schooling in the evening because he’s spooky under lights.
On the plus side, any competitions in daylight feel like a breeze!

milliepops

Visit site
Glad to hear it’s not just me. I’m seriously thinking of changing to schooling in the morning now we have a bit more light. I can’t do any constructive schooling in the evening because he’s spooky under lights.
On the plus side, any competitions in daylight feel like a breeze!
it's hedge goblins for us ;) so they are ready to pounce throughout the day (though Kira is worst in the evening because for some reason she thinks the roosting blackbirds are very menacing :rolleyes:)
but yeah, show-spooks are a doddle by comparison. It's funny how it works, some people get nervous riding at shows but I'm definitely at my bravest!
Unfortunately I can't ride in the mornings as that's the only time they get in the field, but if they went out later i'd def be swapping round now.

Reacher

Visit site
Some stills from mr Reacher’s video.

@JFTDWS Scythian warhorse mane
2AA75979-0152-474A-A0C8-FC5CFA95931E.png
5986921D-9597-4EA3-8F06-375462C29B0A.png
4933A037-0898-42D6-8BB0-BDD400A0076A.png

Sheep

Visit site
Fiona how did the flexi eventing go today? We were going to head down for a nosy but time ran away with us! Going to go to Portmore tomorrow to see some of the Spring Tour SJ, I think there are classes up to about 1m40 so that'll be fun to watch.

No plans this weekend for us. We have borrowed a saddle but not wanting to do an awful lot in it. Saddler coming out on Friday, cant wait. Went for a hack today; OH rode, I was on foot. Just a wee 3 mile loop. Newbie behaved very well, even with a few spooky things, so he continues to impress.

Need to get transport sorted so we can get out and about!!

Asha

Visit site
Hope it goes well Asha

Thanks AE. It was with RL event team . Richard knows me soooo well and was wonderfully patient . I was a mess , can’t quite believe I actually cried when I saw the poles . I’ve never been such a wuss . Where did that come from ?? Anyhow , we did loads of poles , and when I wasn’t looking Richard snook a x pole in . So ended up doing a few very small jumps . Can’t say I enjoyed it , but at least today I feel better about it . Will have one more lesson , and if I don’t enjoy it then , I think it may be time to just focus on dressage /showing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Reporting back in that lesson went well, had a 2 min rain shower half way through but otherwise dry and still dry here at time of typing.
Lots of work on turns, circles and that elusive left bend - which we found! B pretty good but does get easily distracted if anything moves outside the arena and peers, so some of the time was spent working on this and keeping her attention.
Very patient trainer, he is tough but has many different approaches. I was really struggling with my weak shoulder and opposite leg today, so after finding the movement wasnt working, we tried another way, bingo! Usually he pops on for 10 mins part way through (I say usually, but I've only had about 6 lessons with him last year), this time I was exhausted after 45 mins, so was B Fuzzy!

I MUST do my homework......

nikkimariet

Visit site
We did our first novice today!

Big ask - new venue, side by side arenas, DTM going on, horrid weather, busy warm up.

Rooni was ace. Two big mistakes in each (stopped at his own reflection in first P17 lol and a change in the second N23).

30B03586-BCFA-43E7-949F-117671464BCF.jpeg
28A2FF73-3F3F-456F-BB16-4BA8E400ACA9.jpeg

69.83% and 68.96% respectively. Lots of shiny regionals points!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks AE. It was with RL event team . Richard knows me soooo well and was wonderfully patient . I was a mess , can’t quite believe I actually cried when I saw the poles . I’ve never been such a wuss . Where did that come from ?? Anyhow , we did loads of poles , and when I wasn’t looking Richard snook a x pole in . So ended up doing a few very small jumps . Can’t say I enjoyed it , but at least today I feel better about it . Will have one more lesson , and if I don’t enjoy it then , I think it may be time to just focus on dressage /showing.

If it makes you feel any better A few months ago I yanked my (totally reliable, utterly confidence giving) horse out of a 70cm fence two strides out in a lesson with Caroline Moore. Cried and said I couldn’t do it. Oh and probably about 25 people watching!

Fear like that is so so hard to push through.

Wheels

Visit site

Big ask - new venue, side by side arenas, DTM going on, horrid weather, busy warm up.

Rooni was ace. Two big mistakes in each (stopped at his own reflection in first P17 lol and a change in the second N23).

View attachment 40727
View attachment 40728

He's looking great, congrats on your tests.

I hardly dare ask but how is Fig doing?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

View attachment 40727
View attachment 40728

I think I know the venue. Mine found the gravel track round the outside of the warm up utterly terrifying when a kid in red wellies went swooshing his wellies through the gravel :oops:

zaminda

Visit site
We had a lovely time at our awards evening, coming away with a couple of upgrading awards, placings in a couple of trophy's and winning a lovely trophy for points with more than one horse. Having had a very up and down season it was great to see it had gone better than I thought!
I have managed a bit of riding dodging showers, but hopefully should be able to crack on this week. I'm really pleased to say that my saddle seems to be going down well with Tamba, he is such a sensitive soul.

scats

Visit site
Hope everyone had a good weekend, some good outcomes by the looks of things!
Quiet one here. Girls are working alternate days at the moment so Millie hacked yesterday and Polly was long reined today. I’m not feeling great this weekend so I’m pleased that I even managed that much.

It’s been a bit of a stressful weekend as my uncle has been in hospital since November and was due to have more surgery this week after developing sepsis, but my mum got a phone call this morning to say that the infection had burst or leaked or something and they were going to have to take him down for emergency surgery today but that he is very unwell and may not survive. My mum arrived and my poor uncle was trying to work out how to fund his own funeral and he was panicking coz he hasn’t written a will, so it was quite an upsetting morning all round. He was in surgery for about 6 hours and made it through so just got to see how the next 48-72 hours go. He may have to have his leg removed if he deteriorates again. He’s already told us that if he loses his leg it’ll be pills and a bottle for him because he doesn’t want to live like that, so we’re just desperately hoping that they can save it.

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh gosh scats, fingers crossed for a positive outcome for him.
For us, I would say if anyone is offered chance to go to an Andrew Heffernan clinic go go go! Also he gives good leg ups, I know this because once supercob got going he was indeed super and if really insist on riding him straight he will jump that 60cm house he's hesitating at first time.
But he will give it an extra 60cm for good measure, coupled with a down hill landing and I was out of the plate. Whoops, we got back on and cracked on though and the rest was largely uneventful.
Got some lovely pics and video including me falling off and hes now tucked up at the vets for scoping tomorrow

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Another rubbish on paper but fabulous anyway days!

Warmup was hideous thanks to an unbelievably rude woman ???‍♀️, so went in a bit stressed and get up. Bell went the moment we went in, so no time to really settle her, trotted to the first and Skylla went super green and wobbled to a stop.

However, circled told her it was ok and asked again and she flew over. As she did the rest of the course ?. Slight disagreement about speed and direction to 7 ??, but we still went over it! Another slight hesitation at the water, as I was too soft coming in to it and should have insisted on trot but again was happy to trot through once she’d looked ?.

The height was no issue just normal green wobbly moments, I was pooping it going in as it all looked far too big but I’m absolutely flying now!

Super clever Skylla ?.
E74DA670-B10E-43CA-887A-8D4E235B4B37.jpeg
D9CE991E-6B6E-44A9-943B-19A41BEAD7C5.jpeg

Asha

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better A few months ago I yanked my (totally reliable, utterly confidence giving) horse out of a 70cm fence two strides out in a lesson with Caroline Moore. Cried and said I couldn’t do it. Oh and probably about 25 people watching!

Fear like that is so so hard to push through.

Thanks Michen, it actually does help to hear that I’m not the only one ! You and Boggle always look so together, glad you are over it x

nikkimariet

Visit site
I think I know the venue. Mine found the gravel track round the outside of the warm up utterly terrifying when a kid in red wellies went swooshing his wellies through the gravel :oops:

Manor grange! I love it as a venue. I went with nova years ago but didn’t get the chance to go back. It’s a decent 1.30 drive for me but I prefer to give pleasant we’ll run venues my money rather than staying close to home and dealing with... well... better not say!

nikkimariet

Visit site
He's looking great, congrats on your tests.

I hardly dare ask but how is Fig doing?

Thank you :)

I hardly dare respond tbh :( he’s ok actually. Bright. Moving well. Even on gravel etc. But more xrays and reshoe on Friday. I want to see what I’m now dealing with before I make claim that he’s ‘better’ iykwim.. thank you for asking though.

Fiona

Visit site
Fiona how did the flexi eventing go today? We were going to head down for a nosy but time ran away with us! Going to go to Portmore tomorrow to see some of the Spring Tour SJ, I think there are classes up to about 1m40 so that'll be fun to watch.

No plans this weekend for us. We have borrowed a saddle but not wanting to do an awful lot in it. Saddler coming out on Friday, cant wait. Went for a hack today; OH rode, I was on foot. Just a wee 3 mile loop. Newbie behaved very well, even with a few spooky things, so he continues to impress.

Need to get transport sorted so we can get out and about!!

Flexi eventing on Saturday was fabulous....

We jumped clear XC ???❤ So proud of my 13.2 pony.....

Won't mention the dressage, seemingly my judge is a pony hater, 10%less than our score a fortnight ago...

Definitely go.....

Fiona

DressageCob

Visit site
Another rubbish on paper but fabulous anyway days!

Warmup was hideous thanks to an unbelievably rude woman ???‍♀️, so went in a bit stressed and get up. Bell went the moment we went in, so no time to really settle her, trotted to the first and Skylla went super green and wobbled to a stop.

However, circled told her it was ok and asked again and she flew over. As she did the rest of the course ?. Slight disagreement about speed and direction to 7 ??, but we still went over it! Another slight hesitation at the water, as I was too soft coming in to it and should have insisted on trot but again was happy to trot through once she’d looked ?.

The height was no issue just normal green wobbly moments, I was pooping it going in as it all looked far too big but I’m absolutely flying now!

Super clever Skylla ?.
View attachment 40733
View attachment 40734

She looks great! Well done. She gives them plenty of air!

I haven't been to Kelsall for a few weeks - their indoor school is just shooting up! I can't wait for that to open.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She looks great! Well done. She gives them plenty of air!

I haven't been to Kelsall for a few weeks - their indoor school is just shooting up! I can't wait for that to open.

I’m so excited for the new indoor, it looks huge!

Haha one of the reasons going up the heights makes me nervous is that she’s still a bit green so apt to jump big over them ?.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I've had a mega weekend!

Saturday rode in the school with my OH watching. I said "He will call as soon as we get in the school, just ignore him", OH shrugged. We got in the school and J started calling, and calling, and calling. OH looked concerned. I got on and he carried on calling (bit pathetic little under the breath calls at this point!). OH was shocked I was on and walking away from him. 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have got on let alone be asking for trot to settle him.

His first few trots were mega (in between the calling!). He settled after around 10 mins (longer than previously but the yard was busy so think that caused a bit more upset). We did some transitions and big circles and he seemed to really enjoy it. Before he got too tired we went for a walk up the road with OH on foot, he was super.

Sunday we went for a hack with a friend. I haven't been for a proper hack in a couple of months due to loss of my confidence and anxiety. I debated taking a schooling whip as previously he was sluggish to hack but friend had one and said if I needed it I could borrow it. Off we went and he was full of himself. Very forward, brave, listening and instead of being worried I enjoyed it, asked him to take the lead at times, really got him working and he felt like he enjoyed me taking the lead a bit. We went a route where there is a nice long hill that is enclosed and perfect for a canter. At first I didn't fancy it as he was so on his toes but when we got there he felt so chilled I thought it would be a missed opportunity, so off we went and he was epic! He was like a little steam train but one with breaks when needed (my voice only which was a massive surprise). We both came back to the yard beaming!

J was very very sweaty so I do really need to consider giving him more of a clip (probably taking his neck off and a bit more of his belly area, but leaving the rest for now).

Sorry... I'm gushing....

J Hack Canter.jpg

J Sweaty!.jpg