Weekend plans?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nothing. It's been pouring with rain all week. Horses are back in rugs, it's the end of spring here! :eek:

Has anyone heard from milliepops? I've noticed she hasn't posted a while, hope she's ok!
I've nudged her, she's going to pop along later x

Bernster, v sorry to read this xx

abbijay

Visit site
Baby Ace went to his first clinic. Same one as @ycbm and Ludo (he is very pretty and it was lovely to put a face to a username!).
It was his first time in a group and there was a full course of jumps up although we were only doing flat. The others were also babies and we were the only ones that didn’t have a moment. He was Ace from start to finish. Impressing our instructor with his baby leg yield and we had our first canter away from home. It wasn’t pretty but he didn’t explode. I was really pleased that he did the whole hour. Stood nicely when I asked him to and kept going when we were working.
B825FB44-9EE1-434A-BDBA-92600172A81C.jpeg8802E686-733A-44DC-9A3D-05FF43AF929A.jpeg
I think this has given me the confidence to try a farm ride next!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Physio was very interesting and taught me to always trust my first instincts.

I'd booked our physio as I thought Bo hadn't felt quite right after his saddle was adjusted, plus I'd felt like I was sitting crookedly and thought this was probably linked.

Bo had a sore spot where the saddle bar would be on the left side. Got my saddle out to have a look and realised that the panel on the left side was a bit flat compared to the other side which explains a lot! So need to ask saddle fitter to come and have another look.

Luckily I have a spare adjustable saddle I can use in the meantime so not a big issue.

Although Bo is 5 he was a late starter and is much more like a 4 year old in his development, so Physio and I have agreed he'd benefit from dropping down to light hacking over the winter and picking up again in Spring.

Bo will be delighted!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Has anyone heard from milliepops? I've noticed she hasn't posted a while, hope she's ok!
thank you for thinking of us :) we're OK. settling in for a winter of box rest as Kira picked up a stifle injury, we think in the field as there's no other explanation. horses will be horses :rolleyes: down in the dumps doesn't really come close to describing how i feel about it but it's very nice to have her home again as she had a bit of a difficult recovery in horspital so had to stay in a bit longer than expected. Just stepped back from the forum as everything was in turmoil for a bit, major disappointment and big bills to pay = sort of lost the enthusiasm for horse chat! we now have a small selection of potential plans b, c,d, e, f, g... so just have to wait until spring and see how she's doing and which one we go for.

Hand grazing for now. and waiting for good weather so I can start Frankel properly :cool:

254335059_4888476454497159_9102468245821613580_n.jpg

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Baby Ace went to his first clinic. Same one as @ycbm and Ludo (he is very pretty and it was lovely to put a face to a username!).
It was his first time in a group and there was a full course of jumps up although we were only doing flat. The others were also babies and we were the only ones that didn’t have a moment. He was Ace from start to finish. Impressing our instructor with his baby leg yield and we had our first canter away from home. It wasn’t pretty but he didn’t explode. I was really pleased that he did the whole hour. Stood nicely when I asked him to and kept going when we were working.
View attachment 82703View attachment 82704
I think this has given me the confidence to try a farm ride next!

Oh he's lovely!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Had a great morning - Arty was super, and I remembered both tests!

We got our area festival qualifying points and some nice frillies, so mission achieved for the day. On the flip side, in the way that most horses become calmer with age Arty is becoming increasingly batty. She's so fit and enthusiastic it's like trying to pilot a hunt horse at the opening meet round a dressage test ?. Not to mention the bouncing around on the lorry the moment we pull up. We got 1.5 percentage points higher on the second test because by that point I was just about starting to knock the edges off her. Ah well

Apologies, I am too lazy to post videos so I just have some rubbishy screen shots:

IMG_20211114_134319.jpg

IMG_20211114_134216.jpg

IMG_20211114_134247.jpg

Lorry chillin'
Screenshot_2021-11-14-13-46-08-82_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-14-13-46-32-59_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Had a great morning - Arty was super, and I remembered both tests!

We got our area festival qualifying points and some nice frillies, so mission achieved for the day. On the flip side, in the way that most horses become calmer with age Arty is becoming increasingly batty. She's so fit and enthusiastic it's like trying to pilot a hunt horse at the opening meet round a dressage test ?. Not to mention the bouncing around on the lorry the moment we pull up. We got 1.5 percentage points higher on the second test because by that point I was just about starting to knock the edges off her. Ah well

Apologies, I am too lazy to post videos so I just have some rubbishy screen shots:

View attachment 82720

View attachment 82721

View attachment 82722

Lorry chillin'
View attachment 82723

View attachment 82724

Well done!

SEL

Visit site
Took the thelwell pony out for a hack and she was very, very jolly - we pinged up the road spooking at litter collectors with me trying to work out what I'd been feeding to justify the enthusiasm.

FB has reminded me it's a year since she went into surgery for her hobday and palate cauterisation. A 3 mile hack might not seem much but her head shaking was so, so bad post op that I thought I'd be finding her a companion home. We're not 100% with the hackamore but to actually have her enjoying going for rides and being able to breath is such a relief.

Sheep

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your troubles MP, hopefully things look a bit brighter soon x

We’ve had a good, busy weekend. OH had a fab time at his jump lesson on Friday - the instructor was excellent. Very good at technical explanations and even as a spectator I got a lot out of it!

2AE4A7F3-664A-4744-800F-DBA5376A5EEC.jpegE98A85CD-0299-4B62-9405-C96B811CB4F3.jpeg

My turn today with a spot of (unaff) dressage - thinking of making the leap to affiliated in the new year. Novice 27 and Elementary 42 - my first ever test at that level so was a bit apprehensive, but it’s a nice test and not tooooo much of a leap from novice. Flipping delighted with 68% in the novice and 67% in the elementary! The judge is one I’ve had before, she’s very fair and consistent but also quite tough so I was absolutely over the moon.

65B1E6CC-8F69-4FC6-94CD-66BC74171F4B.jpeg5ED850FE-E024-435C-BA50-18A068E9E24D.jpegB16232BE-1823-4135-B472-1DA1AEC496BD.jpegD0744F99-AB0B-411D-9FDB-20608CEC490B.jpeg2125DC53-7837-4C31-B865-BFA3FA85EF84.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
We had an interesting day, actually better on paper than it felt! Started off well, as we’ve gone back to loading like a dream, not sure what last week was

Dressage felt awful, wonky and added a flying change to his R canter. But actually got 60.2% and some lovely comments! (Even with a 4 for the R canter). 80cm SJ was a foot perfect double clear, so was very happy with that

90cm SJ an experience… he did the whole thing in warp speed mode, so ended up having 3 poles. I rode like a sack of potatoes and could have tried to put the brakes on more, but I was too busy worrying about the height of the fences. We might need a change of bit or nose and for SJ, or maybe I just need to ride better ?

Handsome boy all plaited up for the first time!
46F272C1-348C-404F-8878-C0F9D45573EB.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Bog has been an arse to hack, so full of it. Video doesn’t really capture his annoying behaviour but think constant jogging, making everything possible into some sort of story/event, going sideways, wrenching reins out of my hands and lurching into some sort of Spanish movement (he never properly bucks or broncs anymore as he knows he will have a stingy arse if he does).

In his defence he’s being fed a fair amount of hard feed to keep weight on and I’ve not worked him enough. Anyway yesterday I schooled the sod until he was properly tired and today he was an angel (I did put some acoustic ears on too) and not one hint of a jog. Hopefully he will tone it down a bit now.

Shiny, fit, happy boy but needs to get back in his Boggle box and shut up a little ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/lymdBHcjHaU?feature=share

80E171D8-4E16-4C4D-B455-D5069FD09733.jpeg

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Bog has been an arse to hack, so full of it. Video doesn’t really capture his annoying behaviour but think constant jogging, making everything possible into some sort of story/event, going sideways, wrenching reins out of my hands and lurching into some sort of Spanish movement (he never properly bucks or broncs anymore as he knows he will have a stingy arse if he does).

In his defence he’s being fed a fair amount of hard feed to keep weight on and I’ve not worked him enough. Anyway yesterday I schooled the sod until he was properly tired and today he was an angel (I did put some acoustic ears on too) and not one hint of a jog. Hopefully he will tone it down a bit now.

Shiny, fit, happy boy but needs to get back in his Boggle box and shut up a little ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/lymdBHcjHaU?feature=share

View attachment 82753

Hehe, glad it's not just mine. I gate crashed the quiet Saturday morning hack of a neighbour of mine last weekend because Arty (who usually doesn't care a fig if we see another horse out and about), decided that seeing this particular horse was very exciting and absolutely necessitated collected canter up the road :oops:. Fortunately the other rider is lovely and took pity on me and let me ride with her, but oh the humiliation.

Michen

Visit site
Hehe, glad it's not just mine. I gate crashed the quiet Saturday morning hack of a neighbour of mine last weekend because Arty (who usually doesn't care a fig if we see another horse out and about), decided that seeing this particular horse was very exciting and absolutely necessitated collected canter up the road :oops:. Fortunately the other rider is lovely and took pity on me and let me ride with her, but oh the humiliation.

hahaha!! I think it’s still so warm and there’s quite a bit in the grass. At least it was a nice canter ?

The keeper took huge pity on me when he saw Bogs reaction to the quad (which Bog equates to hunting).

DressageCob

Visit site
thank you for thinking of us :) we're OK. settling in for a winter of box rest as Kira picked up a stifle injury, we think in the field as there's no other explanation. horses will be horses :rolleyes: down in the dumps doesn't really come close to describing how i feel about it but it's very nice to have her home again as she had a bit of a difficult recovery in horspital so had to stay in a bit longer than expected. Just stepped back from the forum as everything was in turmoil for a bit, major disappointment and big bills to pay = sort of lost the enthusiasm for horse chat! we now have a small selection of potential plans b, c,d, e, f, g... so just have to wait until spring and see how she's doing and which one we go for.

Hand grazing for now. and waiting for good weather so I can start Frankel properly :cool:

I hope your lovely girl makes a speedy recovery. Horsepital is the worst.

At least it's winter. It's less heartbreaking to see them in a stable all day when it's foul outside.

racebuddy

Visit site
I’ve been out arena hiring today had such a good time , kept them
Small but had good fun lots to learn and progress on over the winter , first time properly away from home To with us and a lot going on he thought he could join in the galloping round horses in the field ?? by showing us he can bounce up and down in the air and play yes that’s all well and good but not with me on u ?? 6 year old learning ❤️❤️ Settled and focused as soon as we entered the arena lots to learn but have me fab ride built them up a bit at the end

Attachments

• 4BB1F13D-A931-40EC-A7AA-D17D5F1F19E7.jpeg
    4BB1F13D-A931-40EC-A7AA-D17D5F1F19E7.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 6EDCBD60-AEB6-4EA1-A90A-FF44BB824D2E.jpeg
    6EDCBD60-AEB6-4EA1-A90A-FF44BB824D2E.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DCCCF46A-5C5C-4B57-8B88-DA6CB7FBE9BE.jpg
    DCCCF46A-5C5C-4B57-8B88-DA6CB7FBE9BE.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 13

DressageCob

Visit site
I've just been lessoning at home this weekend. We have been having a go in a double bridle for the first time, which was enlightening.

A few liveries from my yard attend the local Remembrance Sunday service on horseback, dressed in WWI regalia so I went to the service as well.

you can see them on this page. They really look the part https://utkintonandcotebrook.com/2021/11/14/remembrance-day-2021-utkinton/

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

Northern

Visit site

254335059_4888476454497159_9102468245821613580_n.jpg

Thanks for checking in! I knew Kira had injured herself and was then worried it was the worst news. Pretty awful, I've been there and its heartbreaking. It sounds like you have a small amount of optimism though, so I hope the box rest goes well and she heals well.

humblepie

Visit site
Some lovely pictures of outings and good reports. Sorry to hear your news Bernster and MP. Well done Shortstuff and look forward to your reports. And some very cute foal pictures.

Sheep

Visit site
I have a question for the dressage people, actually!

It is no big deal, just interested in your thoughts. The arena I rode in yesterday was an indoor - it's 20x60 with a full wall at one side, then a lower wall at the other with an area for tacking up etc running alongside the MBF side.

In my second test, someone was standing with their horse at the other side of the wall, right next to M, and they were clicking at him to get pretty photos of him... I felt like telling them to shush when I went past, because it was annoying me and I didn't want the judge to think it was *me* clicking at *my* horse. Anyway, I said nothing but sure enough, I had a comment on my sheet saying "clicking" (I definitely wasn't!). Is it just one of those things or is there a way to handle it? I don't think I was penalised, but just a bit annoying!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a question for the dressage people, actually!

It is no big deal, just interested in your thoughts. The arena I rode in yesterday was an indoor - it's 20x60 with a full wall at one side, then a lower wall at the other with an area for tacking up etc running alongside the MBF side.

In my second test, someone was standing with their horse at the other side of the wall, right next to M, and they were clicking at him to get pretty photos of him... I felt like telling them to shush when I went past, because it was annoying me and I didn't want the judge to think it was *me* clicking at *my* horse. Anyway, I said nothing but sure enough, I had a comment on my sheet saying "clicking" (I definitely wasn't!). Is it just one of those things or is there a way to handle it? I don't think I was penalised, but just a bit annoying!

Unless it was a qualifier that you need a certain percentage for, I would just laugh and move on. Such is life.