Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I have a Nissan X-Trail with a GVW of 2160, and a just less than 500kg horse. Is there any way / trailer I can use to be able to tow on a B licence? Or will I need to take a trailer test?

Car can pull 2000kg apparently. I believe this is the full spec - https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/nissan/x-trail/16-dci-n-vision-5dr-4wd-7-seat/spec

Thanks in advance
YES is the easy answer
Bateson Derby trailer down plated from 1700 to 1300 will leave 625 for the trailer load

Mum4b

Visit site
Hello,
First post for me, and could really do with some help!!
I am trying to figure out which, if any trailer I can tow on my B licence. The figures are all just confusing me!

Current car a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
GVW 2260
Kerb 1600
Towing capacity, braked 2000

Would like to travel 1 horse at 487kg.
I do aim to take my trailer test in the future, but for now will be just on my B licence.

Would consider a single or double trailer.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

ROG

Visit site
Hello,
First post for me, and could really do with some help!!
I am trying to figure out which, if any trailer I can tow on my B licence. The figures are all just confusing me!

Current car a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
GVW 2260
Kerb 1600
Towing capacity, braked 2000

Would like to travel 1 horse at 487kg.
I do aim to take my trailer test in the future, but for now will be just on my B licence.

Would consider a single or double trailer.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
GVW of 2260 only leaves a max trailer plated MAM of 1240 and most manufacturers will down plate to round numbers such as 1200 so we are left with a 1200 max trailer MAM
The lightest trailer I know of is a BATESON DERBY at 675 so that leaves a max of 525 for the trailer load which is ok for a horse just under 500

BATESON DERBY trailer it is then down plated from 1700 to 1200 via contact with BATESON and the cost was about a tenner but you remover old plate and send with tenner to BATESON then they send you new plate to fit on - drill and pop rivet gun needed

Mum4b

Visit site
Hi Rog,
Hubby has decided to buy me a 'yard' car as the Outlander is the family car & we are constantly filling it with horse hair, muddy kit etc...

I'm getting a Mercedes ML320i
GVW - 2830
KERB - 2149
TOW CAPACITY - 3500 (!!)

Am I still restricted to the Bateson Derby with this car on my B licence?

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,
Hubby has decided to buy me a 'yard' car as the Outlander is the family car & we are constantly filling it with horse hair, muddy kit etc...

I'm getting a Mercedes ML320i
GVW - 2830
KERB - 2149
TOW CAPACITY - 3500 (!!)

Am I still restricted to the Bateson Derby with this car on my B licence?
Max trailer plated MAM on a B licence is 750kg with that vehicle so a bateson down plated to 750 and weighing 675 empty can carry 75kg = vehicle no good for towing any sort of horse trailer on a B licence

Mum4b

Visit site
Max trailer plated MAM on a B licence is 750kg with that vehicle so a bateson down plated to 750 and weighing 675 empty can carry 75kg = vehicle no good for
towing any sort of horse trailer on a B licence[/QUO

Looks like I'm going to be taking my trailer test this summer!

Thank you for your replies and knowledge - much appreciated.

SEL

Visit site
Hi Rog
Very much appreciate some guidance on what sort of trailer I should be looking at. Plate off OH's car is below (sorry - photo is massive) and my largest horse weighs in at around 680kg and the tallest is around 15.2. I'd only likely to be travelling one of my chunkies at a time, so although I want a double horse trailer it wouldn't be taking both of the big ones together.

Thank you!

ps - we're both old enough to have BE on licence as standard.

car weights.jpgcar weights.jpg

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog
Very much appreciate some guidance on what sort of trailer I should be looking at. Plate off OH's car is below (sorry - photo is massive) and my largest horse weighs in at around 680kg and the tallest is around 15.2. I'd only likely to be travelling one of my chunkies at a time, so although I want a double horse trailer it wouldn't be taking both of the big ones together.

Thank you!

ps - we're both old enough to have BE on licence as standard.
2600 is the max towing capacity
Cannot help other than that

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
Hi Rog,

First post for me. I'm looking at a box/large car/Estate combo and starting search and research. Trying to get my head around all the figures and just wanted to ask the below to ensure my understanding is correct.
If a box has the below specs (Cheval Touring One):
  • Unladen Weight: 750kg
  • Gross Weight: 1100kg or optional 1600kg
The plated weight is 1100kg and there is an option to plate up to 1600? (Is that correct?)
If it was plated to 1300kg, and carrying a Connemara Pony (over estimating weight here to be 500kg) - Then i am pulling 1250kg.

Am I correct in saying that I cannot have a vehicle with GVW 2250 (to keep me under 3500) and it must have towing capacity to pull at least 1300.

Thanks for your help.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

First post for me. I'm looking at a box/large car/Estate combo and starting search and research. Trying to get my head around all the figures and just wanted to ask the below to ensure my understanding is correct.
If a box has the below specs (Cheval Touring One):
  • Unladen Weight: 750kg
  • Gross Weight: 1100kg or optional 1600kg
The plated weight is 1100kg and there is an option to plate up to 1600? (Is that correct?)
If it was plated to 1300kg, and carrying a Connemara Pony (over estimating weight here to be 500kg) - Then i am pulling 1250kg.

Am I correct in saying that I cannot have a vehicle with GVW 2250 (to keep me under 3500) and it must have towing capacity to pull at least 1300.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like you just about got the numbers ok

Trailer at 750 empty
Horse at 500
Total actual weight for trailer/load 1250
Best to get trailer plated at 1300

Vehicle GVW max 2200 to tow a 1300 plated MAM trailer on a B licence
Needs towing capacity of at least 1300 but can be 1250 if that is the max actual weight being towed

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
Looks like you just about got the numbers ok

Trailer at 750 empty
Horse at 500
Total actual weight for trailer/load 1250
Best to get trailer plated at 1300

Vehicle GVW max 2200 to tow a 1300 plated MAM trailer on a B licence
Needs towing capacity of at least 1300 but can be 1250 if that is the max actual weight being towed

Thanks a million Rog, good to know that so far, I am getting a grasp on the figures and calculations.

This is all just throwing things out there for now, as I narrow things down.

But say for example on this spec, towing capacity 1500kg - would this be a feasible vehicle?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/yeti/hatchback-2009/20-tdi-cr-s-outdoor-5d/specs/

But I'm a little concerned that the GVW is not accounted for.
On this spec it says "Weight 1377kg" - is that the same as GVW?

1377 + 750 + 500 = 2627 = legal on B licence (with a view to test ASAP for B +E)
with a 2.0 ltr diesel and 2WD because it'd be only on extremely polite terrain. No muddy fields.

Thanks again for this super thread. It is essential for newbies like me to understand fully before we go anywhere near a vehicle change.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks a million Rog, good to know that so far, I am getting a grasp on the figures and calculations.

This is all just throwing things out there for now, as I narrow things down.

But say for example on this spec, towing capacity 1500kg - would this be a feasible vehicle?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/yeti/hatchback-2009/20-tdi-cr-s-outdoor-5d/specs/

But I'm a little concerned that the GVW is not accounted for.
On this spec it says "Weight 1377kg" - is that the same as GVW?

1377 + 750 + 500 = 2627 = legal on B licence (with a view to test ASAP for B +E)
with a 2.0 ltr diesel and 2WD because it'd be only on extremely polite terrain. No muddy fields.

Thanks again for this super thread. It is essential for newbies like me to understand fully before we go anywhere near a vehicle change.
Try this = https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/yeti-outdoor/gross-vehicle-weight/ = find your model in that lot !!

lauracwd2

Visit site
Hi Rog

I've had a read through some of the queries but I'm still a bit unsure of how to calculate. I have a B+E licence. If I wanted to buy a car which had a towing capacity of 1500kg to tow one horse of 500kg what would my options be? Would I still need to get a trailer down plated or is that only an issue for B licence holders? Does the vehicle weight matter in this scenario?

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

I've had a read through some of the queries but I'm still a bit unsure of how to calculate. I have a B+E licence. If I wanted to buy a car which had a towing capacity of 1500kg to tow one horse of 500kg what would my options be? Would I still need to get a trailer down plated or is that only an issue for B licence holders? Does the vehicle weight matter in this scenario?

Thanks
In your case you need a trailer weighing max say 900 empty and is plated at 1500 MAM or more

Izbee

New User
Visit site
Hi ROG,

Please can you advise?

B License
XC60 2016 plate 211bhp
I think the kerb weight is 1783kg
Trailer empty would be 1000kg
Horse is 550kg overestimated

Thanks in advance!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,

Please can you advise?

B License
XC60 2016 plate 211bhp
I think the kerb weight is 1783kg
Trailer empty would be 1000kg
Horse is 550kg overestimated

Thanks in advance!
I need the GVW of the vehicle and the plated MAM weight of the trailer
My guess at the moment is about 2400 GVW and about 2400 trailer MAM which puts it way over the 3500 total for B licence towing

Izbee

New User
Visit site
I need the GVW of the vehicle and the plated MAM weight of the trailer
My guess at the moment is about 2400 GVW and about 2400 trailer MAM which puts it way over the 3500 total for B licence towing
Thanks!

If I take my trailer test, will that cover it. I'm confused by the wording on Gov.uk's website. I passed my test in 2007, so the way I've read it, is that I can tow with a vehicle with a MAM of 3500kg and any weight trailer, providing the car is capable of pulling it?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks!

If I take my trailer test, will that cover it. I'm confused by the wording on Gov.uk's website. I passed my test in 2007, so the way I've read it, is that I can tow with a vehicle with a MAM of 3500kg and any weight trailer, providing the car is capable of pulling it?
1997 not 2007 was the change date

If you drive under B+E rules then you just need the empty trailer weight plus what's in the trailer to be within the vehicle towing capacity and the trailer plated MAM

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
Hi Rog, me again - just wondering, ignoring weight issues (I'm going to go for the trailer test and be done with it) do you know if the likes of this would be ok to tow?
Å KODA Octavia COMBI AMBITION 1.6TDI 110BHP
Not sure of the torque of engine as yet, the manuals are online so could find out. I think its rated to tow 1800kg depending on exact spec.
is a 1.6 likely to be a bit weak for it? I've seen a 4x4 version also with 2.0 diesel.

Any comments welcome as at this point, trying to see what i can do with a car because an SUV just isn't practical for me in terms of when not doing horsey stuff.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, me again - just wondering, ignoring weight issues (I'm going to go for the trailer test and be done with it) do you know if the likes of this would be ok to tow?
Å KODA Octavia COMBI AMBITION 1.6TDI 110BHP
Not sure of the torque of engine as yet, the manuals are online so could find out. I think its rated to tow 1800kg depending on exact spec.
is a 1.6 likely to be a bit weak for it? I've seen a 4x4 version also with 2.0 diesel.

Any comments welcome as at this point, trying to see what i can do with a car because an SUV just isn't practical for me in terms of when not doing horsey stuff.
If a vehicle manufacturer says it will tow X amount then that is what it will tow - or they would all be getting sued

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
Following on from my previous threads and my hunt for an estate in my preferred colour.... I have come across reference to 'maximum nose weight'. I believe an Octavia is 75kg max nose weight and perhaps the Superb is more.
Can you shed any light on this Rog? I'm not clear what this is at all. Thanks in advance!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Thank you ROG for this fantastic thread and for being so, so helpful. Hoping you could please confirm for me that this set up will work before I buy the car this afternoon.

Only have B.
Car: Older Freelander, 2080 GVW, can tow either 1800 or 2000 (cant remember, but not really relevent with this set up!)
Trailer: Single horse Ifor (767 from the website) or Bateson Derby.

I believe I can get the plate on either of those dropped to 1400 MAM (so combined weight is under 3.5 tonnes) and would leave me with 633kg with the single horse and over 700kg with the Derby?

Is my maths and understanding correct please and thank you! :)

P.s. anyone know any other trailers that would give me 600kg payload minimum?