Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
Thank you ROG for this fantastic thread and for being so, so helpful. Hoping you could please confirm for me that this set up will work before I buy the car this afternoon.

Only have B.
Car: Older Freelander, 2080 GVW, can tow either 1800 or 2000 (cant remember, but not really relevent with this set up!)
Trailer: Single horse Ifor (767 from the website) or Bateson Derby.

I believe I can get the plate on either of those dropped to 1400 MAM (so combined weight is under 3.5 tonnes) and would leave me with 633kg with the single horse and over 700kg with the Derby?

Is my maths and understanding correct please and thank you! :)

P.s. anyone know any other trailers that would give me 600kg payload minimum?
SPOT ON with your figures

I think its about £50 to down plate with IW and about £10 to do so with Bateson

conniegirl

Visit site
Right I have a bit of a strange question, I recently had my group 2 (HGV) license revoked on medical grounds and therefore can no longer drive my horsebox so I'm thinking of doing the trailer test so we can still get out and about. Does the B + E license count as group 1 or group 2? I can't find information anywhere on it.

ROG

Visit site
Right I have a bit of a strange question, I recently had my group 2 (HGV) license revoked on medical grounds and therefore can no longer drive my horsebox so I'm thinking of doing the trailer test so we can still get out and about. Does the B + E license count as group 1 or group 2? I can't find information anywhere on it.
B+E has the same medical conditions as B (car)
No medical required for B+E
No theory
No HPT
Just take the on-road/reverse/un-couple test

conniegirl

Visit site
Fab thank you. Hoping to get HGV license back next year but until then it is car and trailer.

We already have a Skoda Yeti 4x4, internet seems to quote figures between 1.8ton and 2.1ton for towing allowance, I've been offered an Ifor williams 510 in part exchange for my lorry, pony only weighs a max of 400kg (if he were very very fat!) so I think we should be ok.
will I have to down plate the trailer though as it has a much higher MAM?

ROG

Visit site
Fab thank you. Hoping to get HGV license back next year but until then it is car and trailer.

We already have a Skoda Yeti 4x4, internet seems to quote figures between 1.8ton and 2.1ton for towing allowance, I've been offered an Ifor williams 510 in part exchange for my lorry, pony only weighs a max of 400kg (if he were very very fat!) so I think we should be ok.
will I have to down plate the trailer though as it has a much higher MAM?
Skoda yeti GVW is about 2100 max - what is your moel in this list = https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/yeti-outdoor/gross-vehicle-weight/ ??
HB510 = Max gross weight 2340 kg + Unlaiden weight 905.00 kg
Down plating that to 1400 will allow for a max trailer load of 495 kg ON YOUR CURRENT B LICENCE

conniegirl

Visit site
Skoda yeti GVW is about 2100 max - what is your moel in this list = https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/yeti-outdoor/gross-vehicle-weight/ ??
HB510 = Max gross weight 2340 kg + Unlaiden weight 905.00 kg
Down plating that to 1400 will allow for a max trailer load of 495 kg ON YOUR CURRENT B LICENCE
Thanks, the GVW on the plate in the car is 2070kg. It can tow 1.8ton.
Thinking of getting my b+e license anyway, ideally wanted to do it as the C+E test but health put a kybosh on that

Where did you find the unladen weight for the 510? Everything I’ve found says approx 1000kgs it I can’t find anything more accurate

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
I cannot seem to find the link I got the info from for the 510 but I suspect you might be correct in the 1000 empty weight in which case you need a lighter trailer for B licence towing

ROG

Visit site
If I get my B+E test will I need to down plate the trailer?
NO - only need to down plate to conform to B licence towing laws/rules

With B+E it is easier -
Take max towing capacity say 2000
Deduct empty trailer weight from max tow capacity = max load for trailer
Add empty trailer weight to weight of load in trailer and check it does not exceed plated trailer MAM weight

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Quick question... where/how are you supposed to attach the safety cable please ROG? Group of friends with differing views....

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
We all have different towbars, mine is one peice and I clip the carabiner to the hole thats with the towbar. My other friend has a bolted one and has a simillar hole underneath on the plate where the towbar bolts onto. Now she loops it around the towbar and clips it back to the cable.

conniegirl

Visit site
quick question for you.
Where do we stand towing on a B license if the trailer has no plate with a MAM on it or the plate is corroded and unreadable?

Warmblood95

Visit site
hi Rog,
Would this combination be safe to tow with car would be an Audi q3 quattro
Trailer is an ifor 510 and one horse (536kg)

1. B but will be taking b and e
2.1605 kerbweight
3. 2205 gross weight
4. 2000 Towing capacity
5. 2584 trailer MAM
6. 1000 empty trailer

Thank you

ROG

Visit site
hi Rog,
Would this combination be safe to tow with car would be an Audi q3 quattro
Trailer is an ifor 510 and one horse (536kg)

1. B but will be taking b and e
2.1605 kerbweight
3. 2205 gross weight
4. 2000 Towing capacity
5. 2584 trailer MAM
6. 1000 empty trailer

Thank you
Legal with B+E
Max load for trailer = 1000kg

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
ROG - I'm looking at the Nissan Quashqai it weighs 1910kg can tow up to 1350kg , my horse weighs around 570kg, what is the weight of a trailer I can use to be legal as I only have my B licence? Thank you

ROG

Visit site
ROG - I'm looking at the Nissan Quashqai it weighs 1910kg can tow up to 1350kg , my horse weighs around 570kg, what is the weight of a trailer I can use to be legal as I only have my B licence? Thank you
1910 GVW on a B licence means you can tow any trailer plated at 1590 max
As an example the IW HB 403 is about 800 empty and plated at 1600
Need to contact IW and have it down plated to say 1550
At 1550 that would leave 750 for the trailer load

Another example is the Bateson Derby which is 675 empty and plated at 1700 so contact Bateson and have it down plated to 1550 leaving 875 for the max trailer load

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
1910 GVW on a B licence means you can tow any trailer plated at 1590 max
As an example the IW HB 403 is about 800 empty and plated at 1600
Need to contact IW and have it down plated to say 1550
At 1550 that would leave 750 for the trailer load

Another example is the Bateson Derby which is 675 empty and plated at 1700 so contact Bateson and have it down plated to 1550 leaving 875 for the max trailer load

Brill thank you!! I was looking at the derbys, are there any similar ones to the weight of a derby?

ROG

Visit site
Cheval Liberte 1003XL (the single horse trailer) is 550kg unladen, the 1003XXL is 750kg (the mare and foal trailer)
Dimensions

Model
1003XL = TOP FIGURE
1003XXL = LOWER FIGURE

Internal width:
1250mm
1550mm

Internal length:
2930mm
2930mm

Internal height:
2260mm
2260mm

External width:
1770mm
2020mm

External length:
4040mm
4040mm

External height:
2720mm
2720mm

Stall length:
1800mm
1800mm

Unladen weight:
550kg
750kg

Gross weight:
1400kg
1600kg

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
Hi everyone, can I ask thoughts on necessity for 4WD for towing. I'd be towing a single box, with a B+E. I'm trying to weigh up running costs for an everyday vehicle against actual need for 4WD.

Something like a VW Tiguan is very common here on the 2nd hand market but very, very few with the 4Motion (the 2 I've seen for sale - are well out of budget)
Then I've seen both a Rav4 and an Estate car with 4WD - need to check the plate on both for towing capacity though.

Bearing in mind I'm willing to steer clear of muddy fields in a 2WD.

Once they have towing capacity they are rated for X so can pull X - so I am just wondering is 4WD something I should definitely get or is it just nice to have.

ReelyWheelie

Visit site
NOSE WEIGHT
The only way to measure that is with a gauge = https://www.halfords.com/camping-le...s/caravan-accessories/olpro-nose-weight-gauge = many more on internet

Was just reading through my old posts and realised I forgot to ask you a general question ROG.
When towing anything, be it caravan or box, is nose weight something you check with the gauge and adjust load accordingly? ( I know you can check it with the gauge but I am still not clear on the context.)