Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Hi Rog, thank you for offering this fabulous service!

I am about to move to the UK and get a regular B license. I was hoping to buy a car/trailer combo for my ~500kg warmblood that is legal to tow without a B+E. Do you have any favorite combinations of vehicle and trailer that fit into that category?

ROG

Hi Rog, thank you for offering this fabulous service!

I am about to move to the UK and get a regular B license. I was hoping to buy a car/trailer combo for my ~500kg warmblood that is legal to tow without a B+E. Do you have any favorite combinations of vehicle and trailer that fit into that category?
Skoda Octavia 4x4 towing a down plated Bateson Derby trailer is just one idea

Skoda Octavia 4x4 towing a down plated Bateson Derby trailer is just one idea
Thanks for your quick reply. Would that be your top pick? I’m sure you’re busy and maybe you’ve answered this a lot of other times, but what would be your number 2 and 3 picks? Also, there seem to be a lot of Ifor Williams trailers for sale, would they fit this bill?

ROG

Thanks for your quick reply. Would that be your top pick? I’m sure you’re busy and maybe you’ve answered this a lot of other times, but what would be your number 2 and 3 picks? Also, there seem to be a lot of Ifor Williams trailers for sale, would they fit this bill?
What you need to research is for vehicles where the GVW is around 2100 with a tow capacity of at least 1400
A IW HB401/3 trailer weighs about 800 empty so when down plated to 1400 will leave about 600 for the trailer load

gingergreg

Wondering if anyone has tow car suggestions please? Looking at an IW 403 so approx 770kg I believe? Say 650kg to be on the safe side for horse...are there any B legal car options if I had the trailer downplated? Cheap as poss ideally <£2500.

ROG

Wondering if anyone has tow car suggestions please? Looking at an IW 403 so approx 770kg I believe? Say 650kg to be on the safe side for horse...are there any B legal car options if I had the trailer downplated? Cheap as poss ideally <£2500.
Trailer + horse = 1420 but allow for a bit more so lets say between 1450 and 1500
What you are looking for is a vehicle with a max GVW of 2000kg so you can down plate the trailer from its original 1600 to 1500
The vehicle also needs to have a towing capacity of at least 1500

Here is one idea = https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/skoda/octavia-estate/16-tdi-cr-110-s-5dr/spec

gingergreg