Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Dexydoodle

Visit site
If the vwt4 2000 towing capacity is correct and your trailer MAM is at least 2000 then the empty weight of your trailer plus the load that is in it must not exceed 2000 kgs

If the trailer MAM is less than 2000 then the lower trailer MAM figure is the maximum and not the 2000 towing capacity

fuel etc goes in the vehicle so that comes under the vehicle GVW not the trailer MAM

Fantastic, thank you! That makes sense - now to do some investigating!

Javabb94

Visit site
Hi

On 'L' plates towing a horse trailer - are you allowed to tow with a horse in and on the motorway?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but just checking :)

Thanks

Javabb94

Visit site
Thanks ROG!

I towed horse on L's and motorway to vets and someone said I wasn't allowed a horse in or on the motorway so panicking a little bit!
The information differs all over the Internet!

ROG

Visit site
Thanks ROG!

I towed horse on L's and motorway to vets and someone said I wasn't allowed a horse in or on the motorway so panicking a little bit!
The information differs all over the Internet!
From this november the DSA state that a trailer for B+E test must have either 600 kgs of sand or a 600 litre water IBC container in it so all the training will also be done with this weight in the trailer on all types of roads including motorways

Javabb94

Visit site
From this november the DSA state that a trailer for B+E test must have either 600 kgs of sand or a 600 litre water IBC container in it so all the training will also be done with this weight in the trailer on all types of roads including motorways

Thanks - makes sense!

Phew glad I'm allowed horse in!

velvet2011

Visit site
Hi, am sitting my trailer test soon and wondered if it was worth persuading my in-laws to get a tow bar on their range rover evoque, but not sure its designed for the job...
1/ driver B + E (hopefully soon!)
2/ car unladen weight: 1,640kg
3/ car gross vehicle weight: 2,350kg
4/ car towing capacity: 1,800kg
5/ trailer max gross weight: 2584kg
6/ trailer unladen weight: 1000kg

Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Hi, am sitting my trailer test soon and wondered if it was worth persuading my in-laws to get a tow bar on their range rover evoque, but not sure its designed for the job...
1/ driver B + E (hopefully soon!)
2/ car unladen weight: 1,640kg
3/ car gross vehicle weight: 2,350kg
4/ car towing capacity: 1,800kg
5/ trailer max gross weight: 2584kg
6/ trailer unladen weight: 1000kg

Thanks!
Under B+E licence or provisional rules you can load the trailer with 800 kgs

1800-1000=800

ROG

Visit site
Help needed ROG!

Have looked on the gov.uk website with regards to my ability to legally tow. I have noticed they have appeared to downscale the requirements but I cant quite work out how.

Can you let me know if I still need to take a towing test.

Car - Land Rover Discovery 4
Trailer - Ifor 510 hunter
Weight of horse - approx 600kg

License held since 2001

Help!!!

As the Disco 4 has a GVW of well over 3000 kgs then the max trailer plated MAM is only 750 kgs on a B licence

Check out post numbers 999 and 1000 of this thread for more info

The extra rule for B licence towing of a trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM is ....
The vehicle GVW added to the trailer plated MAM must not total more than 3500 kgs

GVW and MAM mean the same thing = the max they can legally weigh when full loaded

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
I apologise in advance for my total ignorance - Looking at buying my first towing vehicle/trailer combination and wanted a couple of pointers of what to lookout for. I won't be towing until i've done my b+e test. I am pretty much clueless as to what to be looking for, on a bit of a budget too. I was looking at 2nd hand freelanders as they seem to be within budget (will be taking mechanic friend along with me to make sure i'm not being 'had') but have just seen on one ad that the max towing weight is 750kg - surely that can't be right? If the trailer weighs that much I wouldn't be able to tow horse plus equipment too?
So what are the best to vehicle/trailer combinations to drive on a b+e?

ROG

Visit site
I apologise in advance for my total ignorance - Looking at buying my first towing vehicle/trailer combination and wanted a couple of pointers of what to lookout for. I won't be towing until i've done my b+e test. I am pretty much clueless as to what to be looking for, on a bit of a budget too. I was looking at 2nd hand freelanders as they seem to be within budget (will be taking mechanic friend along with me to make sure i'm not being 'had') but have just seen on one ad that the max towing weight is 750kg - surely that can't be right? If the trailer weighs that much I wouldn't be able to tow horse plus equipment too?
So what are the best to vehicle/trailer combinations to drive on a b+e?

Best I can help with is to look at the last link in my signature below

750 kgs will be max unbraked trailer but braked trailers will be much higher

The more you do yourself the easier the test will be if you need the B+E ....
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
Thanks for your help ROG, had looked at that thread earlier. Will get out with L plates and correct supervision as much as possible before taking the test.
As for buying, Mechanic Friend has veto'd freelanders and my other favourite the jeep cherokee as he says they cost a fortune when they break, so he's pushing me towards susuki vitara and rav4's but i'm not convinced either would be man enough to tow horses with. Will do some more googlework before making a decision.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks for your help ROG, had looked at that thread earlier. Will get out with L plates and correct supervision as much as possible before taking the test.
As for buying, Mechanic Friend has veto'd freelanders and my other favourite the jeep cherokee as he says they cost a fortune when they break, so he's pushing me towards susuki vitara and rav4's but i'm not convinced either would be man enough to tow horses with. Will do some more googlework before making a decision.

If starting from a position of needing a vehicle and trailer for just one horse then looking into a legal B towing set up might be an idea

Many with just a B licence on here tow a lightweight trailer (perhaps downplated) with one horse with something like a Nissan Xtrail

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Hi ROG, this has probably been asked many times before but this thread is 135 odd pages long now!

We have an IW 506 trailer which I think weighs in at 900 ish kgs, pony is 400kgs. I have a B licence with B+e provisional. Without taking the test, are there any circumstances where I could get away with driving this load with a lighter vehicle (we currently use a Navara or Peugeot 5008 which I know would be illegal without a supervisor) Do I have to have the trailer downplated or anything?

Out of interest, what kind of vehicles do people use on a B licence set up - we're looking at getting a 4x4 as a family car.

I'm ashamed - I should know the rules better as I used to work in marketing for a big lgv driver training company! It just seems people are able to be a bit more creative with the newer rules than they were when they first came out.

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, this has probably been asked many times before but this thread is 135 odd pages long now!

We have an IW 506 trailer which I think weighs in at 900 ish kgs, pony is 400kgs. I have a B licence with B+e provisional. Without taking the test, are there any circumstances where I could get away with driving this load with a lighter vehicle (we currently use a Navara or Peugeot 5008 which I know would be illegal without a supervisor) Do I have to have the trailer downplated or anything?

Out of interest, what kind of vehicles do people use on a B licence set up - we're looking at getting a 4x4 as a family car.

I'm ashamed - I should know the rules better as I used to work in marketing for a big lgv driver training company! It just seems people are able to be a bit more creative with the newer rules than they were when they first came out.
IW HB506
Max gross weight 2600 kg (MAM)
Unladen weight 920.00 kg

The extra rule for towing a trailer over 750 kgs MAM on a B licence is this -
Vehicle GVW (MAM) added to trailer MAM must not total more than 3500 kgs

If you contacted IW to get this down plated (at little or no cost) to say 1400 so it could easily take your horse (920+400=1320) but always need a bit of extra - 80 kgs in this example - then you would need a vehicle with a GVW of no more than 2100 kgs
2100+1400=3500

The trailer can always be up-plated in the future by contacting IW in the same way it was down plated

ROG

Visit site
"Out of interest, what kind of vehicles do people use on a B licence set up - we're looking at getting a 4x4 as a family car."

BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER

Contact trailer manufacturer to have trailer downplated if needed (free or very little cost)

Toyota Rav 4 (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
GVW = 1785
Max towing weight = 1500
Max trailer plated MAM = 1715 kgs

Nissan X trail (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1450 kgs

Kia Sportage (AWD) with these specifications/dimensions
GVW = 2140
Towing = 1600
Max trailer plated MAM = 1360 kgs

FREELANDER 1 (2001 - 2005)
GVW = 2040
Towing = 1800
Max trailer plated MAM = 1460 kgs

SUBARU FORRESTER (4X4)
GVW = 2050 maximum
Towing = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1450 kgs

Skoda Yeti (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
GVW = 2070
Towing capacity = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1430 kgs

Suzuki vitara (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
GVW = 1950
Towing = 1850
Max trailer plated MAM = 1550 kgs

Deduct trailer unladen weight from max trailer plated weight to get maximum load/horse weight for the trailer
Example:- Nissan (1450) minus IFOR HB403 (770 appx) = load/horse 680 kgs

Many standard saloon/estate cars can also be used for B licence towing with a horse trailer.
The types of surfaces being driven on must be considered if not using a 4X4

SusanT

New User
Visit site
Hello hope you can help. Would I be legal to tow on a B licence with a subaru forrester
Mgv 2080kg
Kerb weight 1556kg

Trailer - ifor William h403
Unladen 767kg
Mgv 1600kg
Pony 500kg

If I down plate trailer to 1400 will this be legal with only a b licence.

Thanks you for your help :)

ROG

Visit site
Hello hope you can help. Would I be legal to tow on a B licence with a subaru forrester
Mgv 2080kg
Kerb weight 1556kg

Trailer - ifor William h403
Unladen 767kg
Mgv 1600kg
Pony 500kg

If I down plate trailer to 1400 will this be legal with only a b licence.

Thanks you for your help :)
Yes it will be legal if down plated to 1400
2080+1400=3480 which is 20 under the max limit

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Hi Rog, I am struggling to find the max towing weight for my car - KIA SORENTO XS CRDI (138)2497cc, 5 door, 2003 - 2006, Diesel, ManualI have an Iffor Williams 510 which I believe weighs 1000kgI am sure I the manual says 2800 but cant fnd that online anywhere to confirm - jusy lower limits!Can you help me please?C

SusanT

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog thanks for replying. I thought I'd be ok but just wanted a 2nd opinion as it seemed too good to be true. Freelander is now getting traded in. Thank you :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, I am struggling to find the max towing weight for my car - KIA SORENTO XS CRDI (138)2497cc, 5 door, 2003 - 2006, Diesel, ManualI have an Iffor Williams 510 which I believe weighs 1000kgI am sure I the manual says 2800 but cant fnd that online anywhere to confirm - jusy lower limits!Can you help me please?C
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/kia/sorento/station-wagon-2003/24889/
Braked Towing Weight 2800 kg

HB510
Max gross weight 2584 kg
Unladen weight 1000.00 kg

Tha max you can load into your trailer is 1584 kgs

B+E licence or provisional required

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
thanks Rog, thats interesting that its the trailer that is going to limit my towing capability. I had assumed it would be the car.I have two 17.hh horses which I havent weighrd but estimate thay are at least 700 each. With water carriers on as well I wont have much if any spare. Do you or anyone else know of lighter trailers that will take the beasties and give me a bit more leeway?I am old enough not to worry about my license at least.

ROG

Visit site
thanks Rog, thats interesting that its the trailer that is going to limit my towing capability. I had assumed it would be the car.I have two 17.hh horses which I havent weighrd but estimate thay are at least 700 each. With water carriers on as well I wont have much if any spare. Do you or anyone else know of lighter trailers that will take the beasties and give me a bit more leeway?I am old enough not to worry about my license at least.
For B+E licence drivers the simple rule is to use the LOWER of these two ...
Vehicle towing capacity - 2800 in your case
or
Trailer MAM - 2584 in your case

Using the lower figure you then deduct the empty weight of the trailer which leaves the amount which can be loaded into it

ROG

Visit site
sorry Rog - more questions. What about the weight in the car - could I put the water in the car instead or does additional weight count where ever it is? Is that a numpty question?
The car has a GVW
The trailer has a MAM
Each of those is a seperate weight limit

GVW and MAM mean the same thing - the maximum each can weigh when fully loaded

If you take 50 kgs out of the trailer and put it in the car then that weight gets transferred from trailer MAM to car GVW

Gryfiss

Visit site
Hi rog could do with a bit of help please saw in one of ur older post that you could do a test with a b licence set up is that still right saw this https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/car-trailer-practical-test and didn't know if it had altered was thinking of going with my set up and doing test then if I fail drive off and keep rebooking till i do :) currently have a 403 down plated trailer with a passat estate . Thanks x