Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Hi ROG, sorry but really need your help. Going to hopefully pick up a trailer on Monday and it's the exact same one as this: http://m.preloved.co.uk/m/showadvert/112353298/richardson-rice-2-horse-trailer.html but someone has cleaned the plate with a wire brush and it's got nothing left. We believe the MAM is 1400kg. Empty is 655kg.

I have a VW Golf 2ltr diesel that has a gross weight of 1920kg and a towing capacity of 1500kg.

My pony weighs approx 450kg and definitely not more than 500kg.

Would I be ok towing him in it with this trailer and car just on a B licence? I've tried to work it out and I think I can but my dad isn't too convinced. Help!

Thank you :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, sorry but really need your help. Going to hopefully pick up a trailer on Monday and it's the exact same one as this: http://m.preloved.co.uk/m/showadvert/112353298/richardson-rice-2-horse-trailer.html but someone has cleaned the plate with a wire brush and it's got nothing left. We believe the MAM is 1400kg. Empty is 655kg.

I have a VW Golf 2ltr diesel that has a gross weight of 1920kg and a towing capacity of 1500kg.

My pony weighs approx 450kg and definitely not more than 500kg.

Would I be ok towing him in it with this trailer and car just on a B licence? I've tried to work it out and I think I can but my dad isn't too convinced. Help!

Thank you :)
If there is no visible plate on the trailer then the total of the tyre load ratings - http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating - will be used as the MAM for the trailer

What is the total of the tyre load ratings?

If the trailer MAM is 1580kg or less then its legal for B towing

The lower figure between the trailer MAM and the towing capacity is used as the maximum actual weight that can be towed behind the car

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
If there is no visible plate on the trailer then the total of the tyre load ratings - http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating - will be used as the MAM for the trailer

What is the total of the tyre load ratings?

If the trailer MAM is 1580kg or less then its legal for B towing

The lower figure between the trailer MAM and the towing capacity is used as the maximum actual weight that can be towed behind the car

Thank you very much. Puts my mind at ease. Going to look at the tyres on Monday before we buy it. I have a feeling the total MAM of the trailer is only 1400kg as its a small pony trailer and it's not that big.

Thank you again :)

ROG

Visit site
Thank you very much. Puts my mind at ease. Going to look at the tyres on Monday before we buy it. I have a feeling the total MAM of the trailer is only 1400kg as its a small pony trailer and it's not that big.

Thank you again :)
Although the original plated MAM was 1400, without the plate it comes down to the tyre load ratings total, which is going to be well over 1400

Will you have the serial number of the trailer? - may be on it elsewhere and not just on the plate

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
It's just I'm confused if the bit that says 500kg - 2600kg is the MAM as it's a tiny pony trailer and couldn't imagine two big horses fitting in it making it up to 2600kg :-/ The trailer weighs approx 655kg apparently according to Rice's weights when they made the trailers so I'm totally confused! Help! :(

ROG

Visit site
It's just I'm confused if the bit that says 500kg - 2600kg is the MAM as it's a tiny pony trailer and couldn't imagine two big horses fitting in it making it up to 2600kg :-/ The trailer weighs approx 655kg apparently according to Rice's weights when they made the trailers so I'm totally confused! Help! :(
There is a tyre load rating very small on the side wall which states single or twin but I cannot read it in the photo so could you post what that says please

Is your trailer single or twin wheeled?

The 500 to 2600 is likely to be the over-run braking range but is certainly not the MAM

ROG

Visit site
The trailer has two wheels on each side and says on the tyre:
Load range D

Max load ginle: 670kg
Max load dual: 670kg

Does that mean anything?
OH YES = thanks

Your trailer has a MAM of 2680kg so illegal to tow on a B licence

You cannot get a new plate because the company that made it have gone out of business and the records are no more

Only the manufacturer or company that took them over can issue a weight plate for it

Solution = get another trailer

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
OH YES = thanks

Your trailer has a MAM of 2680kg so illegal to tow on a B licence

You cannot get a new plate because the company that made it have gone out of business and the records are no more

Only the manufacturer or company that took them over can issue a weight plate for it

Solution = get another trailer

Thank you ROG - we didn't buy it in the end, thank you very much - saved us buying the wrong one :) At least I know what to look for next time - the search continues!! Much appreciated :)

ROG

Visit site
Thank you ROG - we didn't buy it in the end, thank you very much - saved us buying the wrong one :) At least I know what to look for next time - the search continues!! Much appreciated :)

With a GVW not more than 2000 you have quite a choice because most trailers under 800kg empty can be down plated to 1500 as long as the manufacturer is still trading leaving you will a trailer payload of 700 or more

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
One last question from me (so sorry ROG - you're worth your weight in gold), this is the plate for a Cheval Liberte double trailer, made in 2001 and it's the 2000/4 model. Below is a photo of the plate and it's all in French! Cheval said they can downplate it to 1400kg for me from 2000kg, however would you say the stamped weight (that either looks like 650kg or 690kg) is the empty weight?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112093906@N08/16202764248/

Again, thank you and sorry x

ROG

Visit site
One last question from me (so sorry ROG - you're worth your weight in gold), this is the plate for a Cheval Liberte double trailer, made in 2001 and it's the 2000/4 model. Below is a photo of the plate and it's all in French! Cheval said they can downplate it to 1400kg for me from 2000kg, however would you say the stamped weight (that either looks like 650kg or 690kg) is the empty weight?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/112093906@N08/16202764248/

Again, thank you and sorry x
That seems a bit too light for the empty weight - I would check that using a weighbridge
These are the current models at 2000 MAM = http://www.chevaltrailers.co.uk/double-horse.html

Why down plate to 1400 when you can have 1500 with your 1920 GVW vehicle?

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Looks like I made a mistake and this is the model of my car: http://www.uktow.com/mobile/vehicle towing capacity.asp?make=Volkswagen&model=GOLF 2.0 SDI

At best even the single trailer is 485kg and the horse is 450kg so doesn't give me much wriggle room - looks like it will have to be a new car after all :(
That link shows nothing - oops yes it does in top left corner!!

Are you saying that the towing capacity of your car is not enough to accommodate the actual weight of empty trailer plus horse?

And the answer is yes because it states 1000kg so you are right - you need a car with more towing capacity

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Apologies to Cheshire Chestnut because I forgot to ask about the towing capacity and wrongly assumed that you had checked it out

Jenbilla

Visit site
Hi. Could someone please confirm if this is legal. I hope I have done my homework properly!!

Car is a 2005 skoda Octavia 2l hatchback AMBIENTE TDI PD

1 - I hold a 'b' License at the min but having lessons for b + e
2 - Kerb weight - 1545
3 - GVW - 2015
4 - Towing capacity is 1400 braked. 650 unbraked
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres... (not sure what this is!!) Sorry.

6 - Unladen trailer weight is 690. (lightweight rice farmhunt)

Will be used to transport 1 13.2hh pony approx. weight 400kg?

Thanks in advance

ROG

Visit site
Hi. Could someone please confirm if this is legal. I hope I have done my homework properly!!

Car is a 2005 skoda Octavia 2l hatchback AMBIENTE TDI PD

1 - I hold a 'b' License at the min but having lessons for b + e
2 - Kerb weight - 1545
3 - GVW - 2015
4 - Towing capacity is 1400 braked. 650 unbraked
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres... (not sure what this is!!) Sorry.

6 - Unladen trailer weight is 690. (lightweight rice farmhunt)

Will be used to transport 1 13.2hh pony approx. weight 400kg?

Thanks in advance
Number 5 is essential to know so I can give an answer

Is there a silver plate on the trailer with a figure on it probably between 1400 and 2500?

If no plate then the total of the tyre load ratings will be the MAM = http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating
Could be written on the trye side wall as max load single and max load twin

ROG

Visit site
I will have a look on the trailer tomorrow when I am at the yard to get those details. Thanks for such a prompt reply.
You need the plate or the tyre load ratings total to be no more than 1485kg to legally tow with that vehicle on a B licence

If MAM is higher than 1400 but not more than 1485 then the lower figure of 1400 is used so the max load for the trailer if 1400 will be 710kg
1400-690=710

lizstuguinness

Visit site
1 - B with L plates, insurance and third person with B+E <3yrs
2 -
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - 2340
6 - 905

Im afraid I cant seem to find the details on the log book for the other figures, nor on the web - but I found this: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/nissan/terrano/station-wagon-1993/11913/
(reg p648 pwp)

I also have a quick query about insurance if I may?
I have rang my insurance and spoke to a lovely chap that didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I wanted to know if my insurance covered me provisionally to learn to tow. I have fully comp. Although he assured me I could tow a trailer and be insured (the trailer only 3rd party) I was not sure if he fully understood what I was telling him - language barrier.
I don't suppose you know of the majority of insures will insure me to tow? I have written and asked for clarification in writing so we will see, but I wondered of you might have a general guidance on insurance? Im with admiral multi car

Thanks very much x

ROG

Visit site
1 - B with L plates, insurance and third person with B+E <3yrs
2 -
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - 2340
6 - 905

Im afraid I cant seem to find the details on the log book for the other figures, nor on the web - but I found this: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/nissan/terrano/station-wagon-1993/11913/
(reg p648 pwp)

I also have a quick query about insurance if I may?
I have rang my insurance and spoke to a lovely chap that didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I wanted to know if my insurance covered me provisionally to learn to tow. I have fully comp. Although he assured me I could tow a trailer and be insured (the trailer only 3rd party) I was not sure if he fully understood what I was telling him - language barrier.
I don't suppose you know of the majority of insures will insure me to tow? I have written and asked for clarification in writing so we will see, but I wondered of you might have a general guidance on insurance? Im with admiral multi car

Thanks very much x
number 4 = 2800 according to your link
You can load a max of 1435 into the trailer

I know nowt about insurers

Britskin

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog, I am thinking of buying a VW Tiguan TDI 140ps (Manual) to tow an Ifor HB505 Classic. Please can you tell be if the following will be acceptable:

1. B and E
2. 1665 car unladen weight
3. 2240 GVW of towing vehicle
4. 2200 GTW of vehicle
5. 2340 MAM
6. 1170 unladen weight of trailer

I will be towing a 14.2 and 15.2, so allow say 900kg for the girls inc water and hay (that sound about right?). Tack will be in the car.

Thanks very much!

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog, I am thinking of buying a VW Tiguan TDI 140ps (Manual) to tow an Ifor HB505 Classic. Please can you tell be if the following will be acceptable:

1. B and E
2. 1665 car unladen weight
3. 2240 GVW of towing vehicle
4. 2200 TOWING CAPACITY (NOT GTW) of vehicle
5. 2340 MAM
6. 1170 unladen weight of trailer

I will be towing a 14.2 and 15.2, so allow say 900kg for the girls inc water and hay (that sound about right?). Tack will be in the car.

Thanks very much!

You can load 1030 max into the trailer - 2200 minus 1170 = 1030

km-j

Visit site
LEGAL as long as you put no more than 733kg into the trailer (1500-767=733)

If the trailer was down plated from 1600 to 1550 then it would also be legal for a B licence to tow

If I changed to this,would it make much difference:

1) B&E
2) unladen weight 1344
3) GVW 1900
4) Towing Capacity 1200
5) Trailer MAM 1600
6) unladen weight of trailer 767

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Trailer detectices, any ideas?

I am interested in a trailer advertised as a Rice suitable for 2 x 17hh . It looks to be fairly old.

I asked for the plate details and got sent a pic of what doesn't look like the weight plate, but it says "UW 419kg". I am sure there is no way this could be the unladen weight of a trailer that big. Any ideas what this refers to?

. I have asked if there is a plate displaying unladen and gvw/mam.

Thank you