Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Blythwind

Visit site
Hi ROG,
I have an Ifor Williams 401, and currently tow on a B licence with my Vauxhall Vectra. However, the car is getting quite old now and will need replacing at some point this year. I've tried to search the thread without luck, and wondered if you have a list of cars that are suitable to tow a 401 (downplated as necessary) on a B licence? I know people used Ford MOndeos and Skoda Octavias. Any thing else?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG,
I have an Ifor Williams 401, and currently tow on a B licence with my Vauxhall Vectra. However, the car is getting quite old now and will need replacing at some point this year. I've tried to search the thread without luck, and wondered if you have a list of cars that are suitable to tow a 401 (downplated as necessary) on a B licence? I know people used Ford MOndeos and Skoda Octavias. Any thing else?
there are hundreds of options so cannot really help

What is the trailer down plated to and how heavy is the horse ??

This was recently posted - https://forums-secure.horseandhound...ng-experts&p=12842026&viewfull=1#post12842026

Last edited:

JoJo_

Visit site
Would you be able to advise if the following is legal?

Vehicle: Landrover Freelander (I think its 2003)
Trailer: New IW 511
Horse: 16.2-16.3HH must weigh about 700kg

My friend insists she has looked into what she can tow before buying a freelander and I shudder everytime I see her out and about. She reckons she can tow her horse but not two horses and her horse is a big warmblood.

ROG

Visit site
Would you be able to advise if the following is legal?

Vehicle: Landrover Freelander (I think its 2003)
Trailer: New IW 511
Horse: 16.2-16.3HH must weigh about 700kg

My friend insists she has looked into what she can tow before buying a freelander and I shudder everytime I see her out and about. She reckons she can tow her horse but not two horses and her horse is a big warmblood.

What licence ..... B or B+E ?

ROG

Visit site

JoJo_

Visit site

gingerthing

Visit site
Hi ROG, I got my weights & car model all wrong! So here are my new figures;

On the vehicle ID plate for my nissan xtrail 2.2 dci SE it reads;

2050 kgs
4050kgs
1110kgs
1165kgs

Towing an Ifor Williams HB401R, this has an un laden weight of 935kgs, fully laden weight of 1600kgs. So if towing on a B license what would my trailer need to be downplated to?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, I got my weights & car model all wrong! So here are my new figures;

On the vehicle ID plate for my nissan xtrail 2.2 dci SE it reads;

2050 kgs
4050kgs
1110kgs
1165kgs

Towing an Ifor Williams HB401R, this has an un laden weight of 935kgs, fully laden weight of 1600kgs. So if towing on a B license what would my trailer need to be downplated to?

GVW 2050
Towing capacity 2000

Trailer MAM can be 1450 max

Down plating from 1600 to 1450 with an empty weight of 935 means it can be loaded with 515 kg which is going to be very close for a horse around 500 kg

You certain the empty weight is 935 ????????????

ROG

Visit site
Thanks!

Yes checked plate again and it was definitely 935kgs unladen, my trailer is a 2001 model so unless it's heavier than the newer ones?

I emailed IW just now and they state empty weight for 401R is deffo 770kg

I think you need to go empty to a weightbridge

gingerthing

Visit site
Thanks ROG for that, yes I am going to get my combination weighed to be on the safe side. If 770kg is correct then what would my trailer need to be downplated to?

Overgrown Pony

Visit site
Hi ROG

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 XS 5dr - 2013
GVW 2505kg
Minimum kerb weight 1785kg
Tow capacity 2000kg
Horse is about 600kg

So the question is, is there any way I can legally tow on a B license?

Many thanks in advance :)

PS happy to get a lightweight eg Cheval Liberte mare & foal unladen is 650kg

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 XS 5dr - 2013
GVW 2505kg
Minimum kerb weight 1785kg
Tow capacity 2000kg
Horse is about 600kg

So the question is, is there any way I can legally tow on a B license?

Many thanks in advance :)

PS happy to get a lightweight eg Cheval Liberte mare & foal unladen is 650kg
No chance as the GVW of 2505 is way too high

It only allows for a trailer to be max plated at 995 kg so if the cheval trailer was plated at 995 with an empty weight about 650 then it leaves 345 for a horse

ROG

Visit site
My friend is looking to buy a trailer to take mine and her horse out and has asked me to post as neither of us really have a clue! Anyway, this is the details:

I'm looking for advice regarding towing. I have a 1972 landrover series three, and am about to purchase a rice trailer. Will be transporting a 15hh and a 14.1hh cob, about 900kgs for the pair. I believe capacity and weight wise this won't take us close to the landrovers max. Is this correct?

My dad enjoys grandfather rights on his licence but is the landrover going to be ok towing and more importantly braking this weight? I believe the rice trailers have their own brakes, but is it worth investing in an air/ coupled braking system? If so, how much will this cost? Are there any other ways to ensure a safer journey? Also any other considerations? I appreciate that this may not be the most cost efficient set up petrol wise, but it sure beats spending 85 pound a day hiring! Any advice/tips appreciated. Thanks
I need you to do a few things so I can answer with a definitive

Find the weight plate on the vehicle which is usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame and post the top two of the four weights OR look on the V5 keepers doc and give my the max permissible mass weight and the max braked towing weight

On the trailer I need the top weight on the silver weight plate OR if not one then the tyre load ratings on the tyres = http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

Do you have a B+E licence ?

Leo Walker

Visit site
The v5 doesn't state anything against the towing info but the manual states unladen weight (kg) front axle 713, rear axle 635, total 1338. EEC kerb weight front axle 751, rear axle 695, total 1446, gross vehicle weight front axle 930, rear axle 1190, total 2120

And yes, B+E licence

No info on the trailer, as she hasnt bought one yet, but is currently looking, hence the questions
Does that help?

ROG

Visit site
The v5 doesn't state anything against the towing info but the manual states unladen weight (kg) front axle 713, rear axle 635, total 1338. EEC kerb weight front axle 751, rear axle 695, total 1446, gross vehicle weight front axle 930, rear axle 1190, total 2120

And yes, B+E licence

No info on the trailer, as she hasnt bought one yet, but is currently looking, hence the questions
Does that help?
Not much help

Front and rear axle weights will be greater than GVW to allow for load flexibility

What are the top two figures on the vehicle weight plate ?

pickwickayr

Visit site
Hi ROG
I wonder if you can advise me. My towing car is an Audi 1.9 A4 TDI estate Nov 2003 model. The mass in service printed on V5 is 1624kg.
the plate under the bonnet has the followng weights 2010kg, 3655, 1075, 1075
According the the manufactur the GVW of my car is 2000kg and the towing capacity is 1600kg

My trailer weight is 800kg and the plated MAM is 1700kg. I have been to a weigh bridge fully loaded with trailer, pony, full car and the weight was 3.0tonnes.

I would like to know if this combination is possible on B license? and if so what would I need to get the trailer downplated to? only ever tow 1 x 14.2 pony weighing around 450kg max

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG
I wonder if you can advise me. My towing car is an Audi 1.9 A4 TDI estate Nov 2003 model. The mass in service printed on V5 is 1624kg.
the plate under the bonnet has the followng weights 2010kg, 3655, 1075, 1075
According the the manufactur the GVW of my car is 2000kg and the towing capacity is 1600kg

My trailer weight is 800kg and the plated MAM is 1700kg. I have been to a weigh bridge fully loaded with trailer, pony, full car and the weight was 3.0tonnes.

I would like to know if this combination is possible on B license? and if so what would I need to get the trailer downplated to? only ever tow 1 x 14.2 pony weighing around 450kg max
GVW is 2010 kg as that is what is on the plate
That means you can have a trailer plated at 1490 kg max
As long as the manufacturer of your trailer is still trading then I would contact them and ask them to down plate it from 1700 to 1400 which would then allow you to load it with 600 kg and would allow you to tow it with any vehicle which had a GVW of not more than 2100 kg

Down plating usually involves you removing the plate then sending it with X amount of money to the manufacturer who then send you a new plate to fit on yourself
You need a drill and a pop rivet gun or take it to someone that has them to do this for you

wench

Visit site
Hopefully ROG will pick up on this one...

I've got to buy a "new" car shortly, and wondered if I could have some recommendations.

I have a very small budget (approx £300) and would ideally like to get something I can tow my trailer with, and wondered wage sort of car might be suitable.

I am aware that a Mondeo will do what I want, but not entirely sure on old car reliability!

My trailer is approx 900kg and horse 500kg. The car is a temporary, so not planning on keeping it for years!

ROG

Visit site
Hopefully ROG will pick up on this one...

I've got to buy a "new" car shortly, and wondered if I could have some recommendations.

I have a very small budget (approx £300) and would ideally like to get something I can tow my trailer with, and wondered wage sort of car might be suitable.

I am aware that a Mondeo will do what I want, but not entirely sure on old car reliability!

My trailer is approx 900kg and horse 500kg. The car is a temporary, so not planning on keeping it for years!

I cannot help with vehicle or trailer recommendations but I can help with a vehicle and trailer combination legalities once you know what you are thinking of getting
I would also need to know what licence the driver has - B or B+E

SadKen

Visit site
I thought I had a high IQ until I started trying to work out if I could tow a HB506!

I've got a Tiguan 2.0 TDI 2009 4x4. I only want to tow one 14.2hh pony who weighs about 480kg, plus me, OH and tack.

Here are my numbers:

1 – B+E (pre 1997)
2 – 1665kg
3 – 2240kg
4 – 2200kg
5 – Ifor 506 (I think this is 2600kg?)
6 – 920kg

Hopefully this makes sense and is OK! Thanks in advance Rog!

ROG

Visit site
I thought I had a high IQ until I started trying to work out if I could tow a HB506!

I've got a Tiguan 2.0 TDI 2009 4x4. I only want to tow one 14.2hh pony who weighs about 480kg, plus me, OH and tack.

Here are my numbers:

1 – B+E (pre 1997)
2 – 1665kg
3 – 2240kg
4 – 2200kg
5 – Ifor 506 (I think this is 2600kg?)
6 – 920kg

Hopefully this makes sense and is OK! Thanks in advance Rog!
You can load 1280 kg into the trailer (2200-920=1280)

The weight of the people go into the vehicle GVW not the trailer MAM etc unless you are putting people in the trailer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROG

Visit site
Tempting sometimes, but no, I probably wouldn't get away with that!

Thanks - it seems simple now you've said.
That is why I am here - to make this issue simple instead of the somewhat confusing and inaccurate info that the GOV put on the internet

mizzbiz

Visit site
I do intend to do my test but I have parental units with grandfather rights so can always use their 'supervision' and L plates if worst comes to worst BUT looking at buying a Skoda Octavia as a little birdy told me I may be able to tow on a B licence...

Weight and Capacities
Gross vehicle weight 2018 kg
Max loading weight 638 kg
Max towing weight - braked 2000 kg
Max towing weight - unbraked 720 kg
Unladen weight 1380 kg

Am I right in thinking I can have a trailer up to 1500kg with this as my towing vehicle? Can you give me an example with a standard IW 510? Or is there a lighter trailer I could go for that would work?

In an ideal world it'll be 2 small ponies (one 14hh and one 15hh) but if on my B licence I can only take one I can live with that and drag folks along if both are going out?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I can't get my head around all this stuff!