Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
That's what I thought not a complete waste of money as I know what I'm doing.. just I now need to tow with a horse instead of barrels of water in the trailer. Was good down bumpy roads it felt like a horse was throwing it's weight about. Haha. As for go backwards at 30mph I don't think I'll ever be that good lol

You could in the future use your own current B licence towing set up for taking the B+E test but you would need to load the trailer with the required type of weight and get extra side mirrors for the examiner - you can then just book a test yourself and go for it without extra training - you would need L plates fitted whilst on the actual test

daisy123

Visit site
When I asked if I could do that I was told no. I had a fair idea that I could. That's brilliant to know as I'm much more confident driving my own car as I'm used to it. After driving mine then jumping into another I get nervous. I'll do that in future. Thanks again rog x

Clannad48

Visit site
ROG - I need your advice please - I was at an event at the weekend and was told by another competitor's husband (who informed me that he was a serving police officer) that my vehicle was not legally able to tow my trailer+horse - could you advise me either way -

My vehicle: 2005 Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD Automatic - gross vehicle weight 2520kg with a maximum braked towing weight of 3360kg
My trailer - 2004 Ifor Williams HB505R - unladen weight 905kg, weight capacity 1435kg, max gross weight 2340kg
My horse - weight (weighed at competition 09/07/2015) - 535kg
People + kit - 160kg

I did not want to argue with him - just said I would check it out, however he was convinced he was right.

BTW I passed my test in 1972

Last edited:

AllyTucky

New User
Visit site
Please could I ask for help......
I passed my test after 1997 so was thinking I need to pass the b&e before reading all the information from ROG.

So my car is a 2008 BMW touring 320d msport.
All the phrases used for weights vary and I get confused. I have provided what I can find below.

The manual states kerb weight is 1595
The manual states permitted gross weight is 2060

Log book states max permissible mass as 2060

Log book states braked weight 1600

I want to tow an Ifor Williams single horse trailer HB401 (Old style single horsebox) is 1100kg. The HB401’s unladen weight is 770kg and its maximum gross weight is 1600kg.

I'm thinking I have to have the trailer downplated in order for the car to tow and so I dont have to pass the b&e??

Aaaahhhhrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

JadeandMalix

New User
Visit site
Hi Rog

I am a B license holder
I am looking at purchasing a Ford Kuga 2.0 4WD.

Curb weight 1613
GVW 2130
Max towing weight 2100

Could you tell me what KG I could tow with this?

I currently have an old rice pony trailer, weighing approx 700kgs.

Many thanks

ROG

Visit site
ROG - I need your advice please - I was at an event at the weekend and was told by another competitor's husband (who informed me that he was a serving police officer) that my vehicle was not legally able to tow my trailer+horse - could you advise me either way -

My vehicle: 2005 Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD Automatic - gross vehicle weight 2520kg with a maximum braked towing weight of 3360kg
My trailer - 2004 Ifor Williams HB505R - unladen weight 905kg, weight capacity 1435kg, max gross weight 2340kg
My horse - weight (weighed at competition 09/07/2015) - 535kg
People + kit - 160kg

I did not want to argue with him - just said I would check it out, however he was convinced he was right.

BTW I passed my test in 1972
MMTM ........ and was talking out of their ****

Bet they did not explain why it was not supposed to be legal

ROG

Visit site
Please could I ask for help......
I passed my test after 1997 so was thinking I need to pass the b&e before reading all the information from ROG.

So my car is a 2008 BMW touring 320d msport.
All the phrases used for weights vary and I get confused. I have provided what I can find below.

The manual states kerb weight is 1595
The manual states permitted gross weight is 2060

Log book states max permissible mass as 2060

Log book states braked weight 1600

I want to tow an Ifor Williams single horse trailer HB401 (Old style single horsebox) is 1100kg. The HB401’s unladen weight is 770kg and its maximum gross weight is 1600kg.

I'm thinking I have to have the trailer downplated in order for the car to tow and so I dont have to pass the b&e??

Aaaahhhhrrrrrrrrr
you are correct - you need to contact IW and have it down plated to say 1400
at 1400 it can be loaded with 630 kg

Cost is about £50 and you need to remove old plate and send it to IW with money then fix new plate when it arrives

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog

I am a B license holder
I am looking at purchasing a Ford Kuga 2.0 4WD.

Curb weight 1613
GVW 2130
Max towing weight 2100

Could you tell me what KG I could tow with this?

I currently have an old rice pony trailer, weighing approx 700kgs.

Many thanks

The max PLATED WEIGHT you can tow is 1370

Rice trailers cannot be replated as Rice is no longer trading

If you do not have a weight plate then the total of all the tyre load ratings is regarded legally as the plated MAM weight
see post 2000 for more info

NicandLiv

Visit site
I would need -
1 - What licence they hold - B or BE
B
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres
I dunno I can't seem to find this out, I am looking at this one
http://www.batesontrailers.com/product/horse-trailers/derby-lightweight-horse-pony/
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer "
675kg

So I really want to know, if it's legal to tow with this car, this trailer, and a 410kg pony. Thank you

ROG

Visit site
I would need -
1 - What licence they hold - B or BE
B
2 - Unladen/empty weight of the towing vehicle
3 - GVW of the towing vehicle
4 - GTW and/or towing capacity of the towing vehicle
5 - Plated MAM of the trailer or if no plate then the load rating on the tyres
I dunno I can't seem to find this out, I am looking at this one
http://www.batesontrailers.com/product/horse-trailers/derby-lightweight-horse-pony/
6 - Unladen/empty weight of the trailer "
675kg

So I really want to know, if it's legal to tow with this car, this trailer, and a 410kg pony. Thank you

You have a 3500 kg max plated weight limit on your B licence

You have already used 2320 of that limit as that is the plated GVW of the vehicle so that leaves 1180 max plated weight for the trailer

The Bateson derby trailer is plated at 1700 but can be down plated to 1180
Derby trailer is 675 empty so down plated to 1180 leaves 505 kg for the trailer load

YIPPEE !! - it can be done with 95 kg trailer load space to spare

Contact Bateson to down plate - remove and send them the plate with about a tenner - they send you new plate to fix on

NicandLiv

Visit site
That makes a whole lot of sense, thank you. :)

Would you say it was safe enough to do this or would your recommend getting a b and e license and a larger car?

NicandLiv

Visit site
Only local, flat ish no steep hills, just go to to some shows and whatnot. Wouldn't be doing anything long distance or up in the wilderness with hills left right and centre

Greg Felix

New User
Visit site
Hi can you please tell me if this is a legal set-up?
1. B+E
2.Kerb weight - 1880 kg
3.GVW - 3080kg
4 Towing weight - 2250kg
5 Trailer capacity - 2700kg (although I only tow 1500kg)
6. Unladen trailer weight 660kg

ROG

Visit site
Hi can you please tell me if this is a legal set-up?
1. B+E
2.Kerb weight - 1880 kg
3.GVW - 3080kg
4 Towing weight - 2250kg
5 Trailer capacity - 2700kg (although I only tow 1500kg)
6. Unladen trailer weight 660kg
Perfectly legal

The max actual weight you can tow behind the vehicle with that combination is 2250 (660 trailer + 1590 load)

PS - 660 seems very low for the empty trailer weight ...............

repeat

New User
Visit site
Hello,

Could you tell me if I'm legal please?

1 - B (passed in 1998)
2 - 1800 kg
3 - 2800 kg
4 - 5200 kg
5 - 750 kg
6 - 200 kg

Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Hello,

Could you tell me if I'm legal please?

1 - B (passed in 1998)
2 - 1800 kg
3 - 2800 kg
4 - 5200 kg
5 - 750 kg
6 - 200 kg

Thanks!
This cannot be a horse trailer !! LOL - what trailer is it ?

perfectly legal - the trailer can be loaded with 550 kg

As the max plated MAM is only 750 kg then its legal for you to tow it with any B category vehicle such as a transit with a 3500 GVW

repeat

New User
Visit site
ROG, I have to confess, I came across your great sticky post on the t4 forums and hadn't seen activity from you in a while on there so I followed the link you gave which lead here. It's actually for camping or a very small horse:).
If you want to check out the thread: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180222 you can see my details (don't want to affect the great work you are doing here) on your original sticky and the confusion I have with the DVLA rules.
Cheers for the quick reply.

Paul

ROG

Visit site
ROG, I have to confess, I came across your great sticky post on the t4 forums and hadn't seen activity from you in a while on there so I followed the link you gave which lead here. It's actually for camping or a very small horse:).
If you want to check out the thread: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180222 you can see my details (don't want to affect the great work you are doing here) on your original sticky and the confusion I have with the DVLA rules.
Cheers for the quick reply.

Paul
Not a problem as a few have found me here and asked a one off question on this issue

I will go to that thread and log in if I can remember my password !!

Bobbly

Visit site
Rog, I find I have to buy myself a tow car as hubby and I are parting company and the landy is going too. I am looking at Kia Sorento 2.5 XS diesel manual 2009 to tow Wessex three horse trailer 1100kg unladen, 2600 max laden. I only use it for two, just wanted the extra space and they weigh no more than 1100kg. I am old and my licence is pre 97 . Will I be legal?

ROG

Visit site
Rog, I find I have to buy myself a tow car as hubby and I are parting company and the landy is going too. I am looking at Kia Sorento 2.5 XS diesel manual 2009 to tow Wessex three horse trailer 1100kg unladen, 2600 max laden. I only use it for two, just wanted the extra space and they weigh no more than 1100kg. I am old and my licence is pre 97 . Will I be legal?

As long as the towing capacity of the Sorento is at least 2200 kg then its all good legally