Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Hewkat

New User
Visit site
Excellent thank you. I thought it would be ok but the advice is so confusing I wanted to ask someone who would be able to give a clear answer. ��

ROG

Visit site
Last edited:

henmother

Visit site
Wow , thanks for that Rog . I had resigned myself to having to pull out a small fortune for a little box conversion . This is very exciting , thankyou . Now to find the very lightest/easiest of trailers to hitch up . I'm leaning towards a Bateson Derby .

Vibella

Visit site
Hi there!

You very kindly helped me understand some of the towing rules four years ago when I bought my xtrail I've re-read my old messages but I'm still confused when buying a new car! Can you help again?

I'm looking at the Kia Sorento which looking online seems to be a good choice for towing.....but the figures are confusing me, it's got a towing capacity of 3000 according to parkers (06 Reg xt crdi) and a weight of 2065 my Ifor 510 is 1000kg according to Ifor but the plate in it says ....think is was 1292,.... just under 1300 anyway say 600 for my horse, so 1900 so that makes me legal (got my b+e around 4 years ago)

The confusion comes in with the 85% rule, if you can only tow 85% of vehicle weight that's 1755 (I realise that's a guideline not law) but if you can't tow more than 100% of the vehicle weight but the towing capacity is higher than the weight of the car, how does this work? So I'm confused how they can say it's got a towing capacity of 3000 when the car only weighs 2000? Am I misunderstanding something?

I know I'm legal with one horse but trying to figure out if I can carry two. Guessing 2200 ish, which is under the towing capacity but over the vehicle weight.

Help :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi there!

You very kindly helped me understand some of the towing rules four years ago when I bought my xtrail I've re-read my old messages but I'm still confused when buying a new car! Can you help again?

I'm looking at the Kia Sorento which looking online seems to be a good choice for towing.....but the figures are confusing me, it's got a towing capacity of 3000 according to parkers (06 Reg xt crdi) and a weight of 2065 my Ifor 510 is 1000kg according to Ifor but the plate in it says ....think is was 1292,.... just under 1300 anyway say 600 for my horse, so 1900 so that makes me legal (got my b+e around 4 years ago)

The confusion comes in with the 85% rule, if you can only tow 85% of vehicle weight that's 1755 (I realise that's a guideline not law) but if you can't tow more than 100% of the vehicle weight but the towing capacity is higher than the weight of the car, how does this work? So I'm confused how they can say it's got a towing capacity of 3000 when the car only weighs 2000? Am I misunderstanding something?

I know I'm legal with one horse but trying to figure out if I can carry two. Guessing 2200 ish, which is under the towing capacity but over the vehicle weight.

Help :)
The 85% ADVICE not rule is for caravans only due to their design instability

Abi90

Visit site
Hello all,

I want to make sure that I am understanding towing on a B licence correctly.

I believe that as long as the cars laden weight and the trailers MAM is less than 3.5T I'm alright? So a VW Tiguan weighing 1600kg could tow a trailer with a MAM of 1900kg? Obviously most trailers are higher than that so would need downplating?

I've read somewhere that the MAM also needs to be less than the cars kerb weight, is this correct?

I intend to get my B+E anyway to make life easier but was trying to work out whether I could tow one horse in a downplated trailer without doing it.

Thanks for your help!

ROG

Visit site
Hello all,

I want to make sure that I am understanding towing on a B licence correctly.

I believe that as long as the cars laden weight and the trailers MAM is less than 3.5T I'm alright? So a VW Tiguan weighing 1600kg could tow a trailer with a MAM of 1900kg? Obviously most trailers are higher than that so would need downplating?

I've read somewhere that the MAM also needs to be less than the cars kerb weight, is this correct?

I intend to get my B+E anyway to make life easier but was trying to work out whether I could tow one horse in a downplated trailer without doing it.

Thanks for your help!
Not got it correct so here is an explanation of how B licence towing works

The plated GVW (or max permissible mass on the V5 form) added to the trailer plated MAM must not total more than 3500 kg

If the Tiguan weighs 1600 empty then the GVW is likely to be around 2200 and if that is so then that leaves 1300 for the trailer MAM

Let me help further -
which of these models is your Tiguan? = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/volkswagen/tiguan/kerb-weight/
What trailer do you have ?

The MAM being less than kerbweight rule was revoked on 19/01/2013

Abi90

Visit site
I currently have neither.

The model Tiguan I was looking at is the Match which isn't listed on there, but had an unladen weight of 1598kg and looking at an Ifor Williams 506. Horse weights 450kg. Haven't bought anything yet just looking at options. Went to see a Suzuki Grand Vitara today but it was a bit lacking on the spec front and the Tiguans MPG is better (car will also be my day to day car).

I was trying to work out whether I could get away with not doing the trailer test but if I have to I will, will make things easier in the long term!

ROG

Visit site
I currently have neither.

The model Tiguan I was looking at is the Match which isn't listed on there, but had an unladen weight of 1598kg and looking at an Ifor Williams 506. Horse weights 450kg. Haven't bought anything yet just looking at options. Went to see a Suzuki Grand Vitara today but it was a bit lacking on the spec front and the Tiguans MPG is better (car will also be my day to day car).

I was trying to work out whether I could get away with not doing the trailer test but if I have to I will, will make things easier in the long term!
UW of 1598 = GVW of 2220 according to the link

HB506 = empty 920 and MAM of 2600

Horse = 450

Max trailer MAM of 1280 with 2220 GVW but down plating from 2600 to 1280 with it being 920 empty only leaves 360 for the horse

If you went for a HB401/3 which is 780 empty and can be down plated from 1600 to 1280 would leave 500 for the horse

Abi90

Visit site
Thank you.

I've heard the single horse trailers can be unstable? Although I suppose they must be roadworthy so shouldn't be a huge issue?

Abi90

Visit site
Excellent. Have just read that they are better for fuel efficiency too! Which I like very much.

Now to find a second hand one somewhere between Leicester and Berwick!

ROG

Visit site
Excellent. Have just read that they are better for fuel efficiency too! Which I like very much.

Now to find a second hand one somewhere between Leicester and Berwick!

there was a Leicester member selling one a few weeks ago ..... but for the life of me I cannot remember who it was .... not much help I know

Are you based in Leicester ?

Abi90

Visit site
Parents in Leicester and based in Alnwick so happy to commute between the two for a trailer.

Looking at a Mitsubishi ASX as well, weighs less, trailer would still need downplating but the car could pull a single trailer and horse whereas it wouldn't manage a double.

Also cheaper than the VW so can look at more expensive trailers.

ROG

Visit site
Parents in Leicester and based in Alnwick so happy to commute between the two for a trailer.

Looking at a Mitsubishi ASX as well, weighs less, trailer would still need downplating but the car could pull a single trailer and horse whereas it wouldn't manage a double.

Also cheaper than the VW so can look at more expensive trailers.
http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/mitsubishi/asx/gross-vehicle-weight/ = around 2000 GVW

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/mitsubishi/asx/towing-weight-limit/ = towing limit 1200 to 1400 depending on model so the towing limit is going to be the max actual weight which can be towed

With a 2000 GVW and a 1400 towing limit you could have a trailer plated at 1500 but if the trailer weighs 900 empty then the max load for the trailer will be 500

Abi90

Visit site
I think I'm going to go for the larger car and the smaller trailer. I'm only going to tow one horse but the larger car gives me options to upgrade to a large trailer in the future.

Also VWs hold their value better so I can sell it on better later on.

I'm considering buying a new trailer, they aren't much more than the second hand ones looking around and I can buy it down rated and don't need to travel to look at trailers saving me time and some money.

Thank you for your help! I feel better going into a buying situation and looking forward to the freedom a trailer brings!

ROG

Visit site
A quick question - Looking for an automatic car that will allow my daughter to tow an Ifor Williams 505 with one 500kg horse on a B License. I have searched these threads looking for a set up but can't find anyone doing this.

And yes I know she could do the towing test but that is not an option at the moment.

HB505 is 905 empty with an original plated MAM of 2340 so to accommodate a 500 horse you could down plate it to 1450 leaving a little wiggle room weight wise

That means you need a vehicle with a max GVW of 2050 and a towing capacity of at least 1450

Abi90

Visit site
Sorry Rog, me again.

If I was looking at a car with a GVW of 1960 that would leave me with 1540 kg so could I now look at a 506 trailer? As it weighs 905 empty, if I downplated to 1540 I would have more than enough weight left for a 450 kg horse?

Have I done the maths right?

ROG

Visit site
Sorry Rog, me again.

If I was looking at a car with a GVW of 1960 that would leave me with 1540 kg so could I now look at a 506 trailer? As it weighs 905 empty, if I downplated to 1540 I would have more than enough weight left for a 450 kg horse?

Have I done the maths right?
Maths correct for B towing

Does the car have enough towing capacity to tow actual weight of trailer + trailer load ?

Clannad48

Visit site
HB505 is 905 empty with an original plated MAM of 2340 so to accommodate a 500 horse you could down plate it to 1450 leaving a little wiggle room weight wise

That means you need a vehicle with a max GVW of 2050 and a towing capacity of at least 1450

ROG - I realise this is the information but I was hoping that someone with just a B license who tows a IW505 with approx 500kg horse in it could tell me what vehicle they use for towing. I have read all the posts but am unable to find this information and going onto every vehicle website looking for a vehicle with a max GVW of 2050 is almost impossible to achieve. Unless you know of a website that contains this search facility.

Abi90

Visit site
ROG the braked towing capacity is 1800kg. Horse plus trailer would be about 1250kg which leaves me over half a ton of spare capacity if I went for a single trailer and 400kg spare if a double. I will probably stick with a single though.

ROG

Visit site
ROG - I realise this is the information but I was hoping that someone with just a B license who tows a IW505 with approx 500kg horse in it could tell me what vehicle they use for towing. I have read all the posts but am unable to find this information and going onto every vehicle website looking for a vehicle with a max GVW of 2050 is almost impossible to achieve. Unless you know of a website that contains this search facility.
I do not know of a site which lists the GVWs of all vehicles

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/nissan/x-trail/gross-vehicle-weight/ non 4x4 versions are 2050

Subaru Forester may also be worth a look

Abi90

Visit site
I've gone with the Qashqai, just put down a deposit.

It's GVW is 1960kg so would it be worth only downrating the trailer to 1400kg which gives me more wiggle room if I change horse to a heavier one?

So excited for freedom! Going to get my Dad to give me towing lessons before I put a horse in it and we're starting with the dinghy trailer to practice in.

ROG

Visit site
Going to get my Dad to give me towing lessons before I put a horse in it and we're starting with the dinghy trailer to practice in.
I do towing help for FREE (with expenses covered) in Leicestershire should it not work out with a family member

fairyclare

Visit site
ROG, I have read hundreds of comments (not quite read 288 pages with though) and can't see the answer.....

2.2 D4D Rav4 + 505 Ifor Williams carrying 1 500kg horse - legal?
2 people only.

Pre 97 licence so that is no issue.

Abi90

Visit site
I do towing help for FREE (with expenses covered) in Leicestershire should it not work out with a family member

Thank you. I might take you up on that when I go the collect the trailer. Thank you so much for your help :)

ROG

Visit site
ROG, I have read hundreds of comments (not quite read 288 pages with though) and can't see the answer.....

2.2 D4D Rav4 + 505 Ifor Williams carrying 1 500kg horse - legal?
2 people only.

Pre 97 licence so that is no issue.

Which one is yours = http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/toyota/rav4/towing-weight-limit/

Not bothered about people as they do not travel in the trailer ..... at least I hope not !

HB505 = 905 empty + horse 500 = just over 1400 ..... lets say 1500 with other bits max weight

fairyclare

Visit site

ROG

Visit site
I can't see it on that list.... its a 2.2 Diesel manual with 2 or 4 wheel drive (XT-RD-4D is what the manual says)
On the V5 keepers doc what does it say the max towing weight is ?
OR
What are the top two figures on the four figure weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame ?