Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Shutterbug

Visit site
Took my car and trailer to the weighbridge this morning. Been meaning to do it for ages and have been towing with L plates and a qualified driver up to now, just to be safe. Combined weight of both with a full tank of fuel is 2800kg - neither of my horses come up to 600kg on their own.

Just for interest sake, I am driving a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 TD Automatic and towing a (somewhat aged but refurbished) Rice Richardson trailer.

ROG

Visit site
Took my car and trailer to the weighbridge this morning. Been meaning to do it for ages and have been towing with L plates and a qualified driver up to now, just to be safe. Combined weight of both with a full tank of fuel is 2800kg - neither of my horses come up to 600kg on their own.

Just for interest sake, I am driving a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 TD Automatic and towing a (somewhat aged but refurbished) Rice Richardson trailer.
You have only got the actual weight whereas you need the total of the plated weights for licencing

To check if the actual weights are ok for B+E you need this info -
Actual weight of trailer + load
Max towing capacity of vehicle

Shutterbug

Visit site
You have only got the actual weight whereas you need the total of the plated weights for licencing

To check if the actual weights are ok for B+E you need this info -
Actual weight of trailer + load
Max towing capacity of vehicle

Weight of trailer is 975kg
Load is max 600kg
Max towing capacity of the car is 2t

nicki260213

New User
Visit site
I'm confused......

Have a Nissan X-Trail 2007 2.0 tdi
Ifor Williams hb510
passed driving test 2008 and have 2 300kg ponies..am I able to tow them to a show?

ROG

Visit site
I'm confused......

Have a Nissan X-Trail 2007 2.0 tdi
Ifor Williams hb510
passed driving test 2008 and have 2 300kg ponies..am I able to tow them to a show?
B licence towing rules unless you have passed a B+E towing test

Need to know these figures -

Xtrail GVW - that is the max permissible weight on the V5 keepers form or the top figure of the four on the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame

HB510 MAM - if it still has the original then that will be 2584 kg
Trailer is 1000 kg empty
http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/trailer/1064

The Xtrail GVW (????) added to the trailer MAM (2584) must not total more than 3500 for B licence towing

I suspect the Xtrail GVW is probably about 2100 so even if you down plated the trailer from 2584 to 1400 via contact with IW then that would only allow for a max trailer load of 400 so well short of the 600 needed

For this set up on a B licence your only option is this -

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

ROG

Visit site
To add to the above reply -

This trailer would be your answer = http://www.batesontrailers.com/product/horse-trailers/derby-lightweight-horse-pony/ - the Bateson Derby

If the Xtrail has a GVW of 2200 then that trailer can be down plated from 1700 to 1300 via contact with Bateson and as it is only 675 empty then at 1300 it would leave 625 for the trailer load

If the Xtrail is less than 2200 GVW then the trailer can be plated higher than 1300 leaving more for the trailer load

ROG

Visit site
Can I tow a 550kg horse in a single trailer with a b plate licence? All the MAM and curb weight calculations are getting be confused.
If so what trailer and vehicle combination would be the best I understand a discovery would be a no go due to its towing capacity being over 3500kg?

Lets give you an example which would be legal on a B licence =

Vehicle
GVW 2100
Towing capacity 1600

Trailer
Empty 800
MAM was 1600 but down plated to 1400 via manufacturer

Max load for trailer 600

Abi90

Visit site
Am I better off with a flange or swan neck towbar for towing a horse? The flange ones look stronger but I literally have no idea what I am talking about.

ROG

Visit site
Am I better off with a flange or swan neck towbar for towing a horse? The flange ones look stronger but I literally have no idea what I am talking about.
Cannot help on this one ..... because ...... I literally have no idea what I am talking about.

jsprince

Visit site
Hi

I have a question which Im getting confused about.

I passed my test in 1995 so have towing rights.

I want to travel two of my Percherons probably 1.7 to 1.8 tonnes.

i have available a single cab 2007 l200 with 2.7 tonne tow capacity
or
1993 3.1 isuzu trooper swb with i think 3.3 tonne tow capacity

Am I right in thinking if i get a trailer with 3.5 tonne limit i could put in behind either vehicle as long as I didn't overload the towing vehicles capacity.
EG l200 2.7 tonne
trooper 3.3 tonne?
Thankyou for your help.

ROG

Visit site
Hi

I have a question which Im getting confused about.

I passed my test in 1995 so have towing rights.

I want to travel two of my Percherons probably 1.7 to 1.8 tonnes.

i have available a single cab 2007 l200 with 2.7 tonne tow capacity
or
1993 3.1 isuzu trooper swb with i think 3.3 tonne tow capacity

Am I right in thinking if i get a trailer with 3.5 tonne limit i could put in behind either vehicle as long as I didn't overload the towing vehicles capacity.
EG l200 2.7 tonne
trooper 3.3 tonne?
Thankyou for your help.

Correct

Perfectly legal to have a trailer MAM higher than a vehicle towing capacity

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
looking for vehicle recommendations please!

I have B+E license and currently tow my trailer with our defender. Great vehicle :D However there are days when things clash and both hubby and I need it, so we are looking to get a 2nd towing car... so what would my options be for smaller vehicles that can a) tow 3.5tonnes, Toureag is one I think? or b) that could tow enough to allow me to take 1 of my ponies out (both are 14.2hh) so even with a 2 - 2.5tonne towing capacity Id be fine as trailer is 940kg.

ROG

Visit site
looking for vehicle recommendations please!

I have B+E license and currently tow my trailer with our defender. Great vehicle :D However there are days when things clash and both hubby and I need it, so we are looking to get a 2nd towing car... so what would my options be for smaller vehicles that can a) tow 3.5tonnes, Toureag is one I think? or b) that could tow enough to allow me to take 1 of my ponies out (both are 14.2hh) so even with a 2 - 2.5tonne towing capacity Id be fine as trailer is 940kg.

I advise on towing legalities but the last link in my signature below may help

flat3

Visit site
Hi ROG

I read your very informative posts and thought I had my head around it, then I looked at the plate on my car and saw the GTW number and got myself all confused. So apologies for my slightly rambling post.

I have a B licence. I don’t have a horse yet, but will purchase one later this year and would like the option to go out and about so I’m trying to work out if I need to change my car too – currently a Renault Grand Scenic. I’m working on 600kg for horse (likely medium weight 15hh) and associated essential bits in trailer. For the trailer I’m planning on a Bateson Derby at 675kg unladen.

So I think the car needs to tow at least 1275kg (600+675). From Google I understood my car’s towing capacity was 1300kg (it isn’t in the handbook and I don’t know where to find this on the car if it isn’t on that plate). My GVW is 2165kg so with a trailer downplated to 1300kg MAM I thought I would be just within the limits (might be too close anyway?).

However, I’ve realised the plate on my car says this
2165kg
3000kg
1 – 1130kg
2 – 1230kg
I think the 3000kg is the GTW. So my issue is GVW + towing capacity = 2165 + 1300 = 3465kg which is way more than the 3000kg GTW figure. Given that I'd be at max towing capacity I think this means I'm not legal? My total weight is below the standard 3500kg restriction but isn't within my car's GTW?

Really grateful for any advice!

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG

I read your very informative posts and thought I had my head around it, then I looked at the plate on my car and saw the GTW number and got myself all confused. So apologies for my slightly rambling post.

I have a B licence. I don’t have a horse yet, but will purchase one later this year and would like the option to go out and about so I’m trying to work out if I need to change my car too – currently a Renault Grand Scenic. I’m working on 600kg for horse (likely medium weight 15hh) and associated essential bits in trailer. For the trailer I’m planning on a Bateson Derby at 675kg unladen.

So I think the car needs to tow at least 1275kg (600+675). From Google I understood my car’s towing capacity was 1300kg (it isn’t in the handbook and I don’t know where to find this on the car if it isn’t on that plate). My GVW is 2165kg so with a trailer downplated to 1300kg MAM I thought I would be just within the limits (might be too close anyway?).

However, I’ve realised the plate on my car says this
2165kg
3000kg
1 – 1130kg
2 – 1230kg
I think the 3000kg is the GTW. So my issue is GVW + towing capacity = 2165 + 1300 = 3465kg which is way more than the 3000kg GTW figure. Given that I'd be at max towing capacity I think this means I'm not legal? My total weight is below the standard 3500kg restriction but isn't within my car's GTW?

Really grateful for any advice!
If the max towing weight on the V5 keepers doc is listed as 1300 then you have one of the rare cases where you are permitted to tow 1300 but in doing so the max actual weight of the car when towing cannot be more than 1700 to comply with the max GTW of 3000

GTW refers to the max actual weight of the combination and not the max total of the plated weights

flat3

Visit site
Was that useful flat3 ?

Hi

Sorry for slow reply, thank you yes it has. I have looked in the V5 and it's only 1250kg towing capacity so I think I need to look for an alternative vehicle :(

Thank you very much for helping me finally reach a conclusion though!

CleanShavings

Visit site
Does anyone know of any good training books/guides that sit along side of the test please? I want to do some home study before I go for my training.

Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Does anyone know of any good training books/guides that sit along side of the test please? I want to do some home study before I go for my training.

Thanks

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3kmFc&feature=related - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise = http://www.drivesafedriving.co.uk/b_e_rev_movie.htm - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
DSA REVERSING TEST AREA DIAGRAM = https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._PCV_BE_manoeuvring_exercise_area_diagram.pdf
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8dGg&feature=related - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

The trailer must now be loaded with 600 kgs of sand bags or a 1000 kgs water IBC for the test so most companies are now training with that weight in the trailer = https://www.gov.uk/new-laden-testing-rules-for-driving-test-vehicles

Well explained here = http://www.trailertraining-wales.co.uk/test.html

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test that means you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS = http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022521
Remember that the required 600 kgs of sand bags or 1 x 1000 IBC filled with water will be required in the trailer and the load must be secure.

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

ROG

Visit site
Hi rog, is it based on towing capacity or gross train Weight?

Towing capacity = 2000
Empty trailer = 1120
Leaves 880 for trailer load

Had the plated MAM of the trailer been say 1800 then the max load for trailer would be 680

Questions to ask ....
Has GVW of vehicle been exceeded
Has MAM of trailer been exceeded
Has vehicle towing capacity been exceeded
Has GTW been exceeded

If all answered no then all is legal for weights