Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

Crazydancer

Visit site
Hello, I'm looking at getting myself a car/trailer combo, and not looked into it before, so I apologise in advance for the numpty questions. Firstly, I have seen a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD SWB 1993 for sale at a decent price, looks clean for the age, but I have no idea where I look to get the data you ask for so I can work out if I can tow with it.
The plan is to get an IW 505 type.
I passed my test in the 80's.

Can you point me in the right direction please?

ROG

Visit site
Hello, I'm looking at getting myself a car/trailer combo, and not looked into it before, so I apologise in advance for the numpty questions. Firstly, I have seen a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD SWB 1993 for sale at a decent price, looks clean for the age, but I have no idea where I look to get the data you ask for so I can work out if I can tow with it.

If I remember rightly the pajero is a japanese import with info in that language but the equivalent is the shogun

The towing vehicle info can be obtained from the V5 registered keepers form, the handbook, a plate somewhere on the vehicle or on the internet.
Kerbweight (weight when empty)
GVW or MAM (max possible legal weight when fully loaded)
Towing capacity (manufacturer actual towing weight limit – not legally enforceable but based on safety and engine power)
GTW - the max legal weight the vehicle and trailer can ACTUALLY weigh when added together. This does not refer to the total of the vehicle GWV and trailer MAM weights.
In most cases, the GVW added to the towing capacity will also be the GTW.

The trailer info can be obtained from a plate on the trailer, by calling the trailer manufacturer, or on the internet. If no plate then the total of the TYRE LOAD RATINGS will be used by the authorities to determine the MAM.
Unladen (weight when empty)
MAM or MTPLM (max possible legal weight when fully loaded)

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Hi thanks so much for the trailer check advice the other day:) I'm now the proud owner of a second hand Bateson Ascot from Richard Grice Trailers.

I'm a tad worried about my tow set up though , I have a Cayanne and they only do detachable tow bars so that's what was fitted when I bought the car , as the stupid posers that normally buy them don't wan't to look common:confused:. I'm a tad freaked out but hubby says it will be ok.

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these:eek:

Twinkley Lights

Visit site

Richard Grice in Market Rasen has three nice 505's at the moment. I nearly bought one but wanted a change so went with Bateson.

Faro

Visit site
Hi ROG, sorry, but due to extreme laziness on my part, I haven't read through the entire thread. Please could you tell me if it would be legal to tow the following combination:

Nissan Terrano II SE 2.4l (V Reg)
These are the specs I've found for the Terrano:
Gross Vehicle Weight
Max. Towing Weight - Braked
Max. Towing Weight - Unbraked

To tow an Ifor 505 Max weight 2340Kg, with 2 x horses each max 500Kg.

I have the original driving license as been driving for over 20 years.

Please could you tell me if this would be legal?

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, sorry, but due to extreme laziness on my part, I haven't read through the entire thread. Please could you tell me if it would be legal to tow the following combination:

Nissan Terrano II SE 2.4l (V Reg)
These are the specs I've found for the Terrano:
Gross Vehicle Weight
Max. Towing Weight - Braked
Max. Towing Weight - Unbraked

To tow an Ifor 505 Max weight 2340Kg, with 2 x horses each max 500Kg.

I have the original driving license as been driving for over 20 years.

Please could you tell me if this would be legal?
As you have a B+E then you can load the trailer to its maximum weight of 2340
That will still be under the max actual weight allowed by the towing vehicle of 2800

If I remember correctly the trailer has an empty weight of 1000 so 1000+500+500=2000

Faro

Visit site
Thanks ever so much for the quick response ROG. You are the bearer of glad tidings and it means our trip to Norfolk this weekend is still going ahead. (We're using my car with a friend's trailer as her vehicle is off the road, and my own trailer has had the central partition removed as I only usually ever travel with 1 horse)! Much appreciated!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Hi thanks so much for the trailer check advice the other day:) I'm now the proud owner of a second hand Bateson Ascot from Richard Grice Trailers.

I'm a tad worried about my tow set up though , I have a Cayanne and they only do detachable tow bars so that's what was fitted when I bought the car , as the stupid posers that normally buy them don't wan't to look common:confused:. I'm a tad freaked out but hubby says it will be ok.

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these:eek:

As above bump - any thoughts on detachable tow bars? I've had it checked at the gargae today and they say it's safe for a horse trailer.

rubydog

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I wonder if you could help me with the below :) :) :

Would I be able to tow with either of the below on a B license?
Thank you in advance

Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD LIMITED 5DR 2007
Gross vehicle weight 2010 kg
Max towing weight (braked) 1500 kg
Max towing weight (unbraked) 450 kg

To tow an Ifor HB403, Gross weight 1600kg, unladen weight 767kg with 1 x horse max 500Kg.

Or

Jeep Patriot 2.2 CRD LIMITED 5DR 2007
Gross vehicle weight 2050 kg
Max towing weight (braked) 2000 kg

To tow an Ifor HB403, Gross weight 1600kg, unladen weight 767kg with 1 x horse max 500Kg.

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

I wonder if you could help me with the below :) :) :

Would I be able to tow with either of the below on a B license?
Thank you in advance

Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD LIMITED 5DR 2007
Gross vehicle weight 2010 kg
Max towing weight (braked) 1500 kg

Or

Jeep Patriot 2.2 CRD LIMITED 5DR 2007
Gross vehicle weight 2050 kg
Max towing weight (braked) 2000 kg

kerb weight 1685 kg so that will not be an issue

This will work for both vehicles ....

Contact Ifor Williams and get trailer MAM down plated to 1450 kgs
That will leave a load/horse of 683 kgs for the trailer

ROG

Visit site
Help! Am very confused about trailer weights and whether I need to take trailer to be down-plated if towing with a car.

Towing vehicle is 2011 mondeo 2.0 with 2000kg towing capacity. Trailer is IW505 max gross weight 2340kg and unladen 905kg. I will be towing one horse (565kg) plus kit so basing calculations on max 750kg meaning total weight towed will never be more than 1655kg.

Do I need to have max gross weight on trailer changed from 2340kg to 2000kg to fit with towing capacity of car or is the fact that weight actually towed is under 2000kg sufficient?

Thanks for help.
This set up will need the driver to be under B+E licence rules

There is no law or rule that says the trailer plated MAM must not be more than the recommended vehicle towing capacity

You have 2000 and 2340 so the lowest of those weights is used
2000 minus 905 = 1095 kgs which is the weight that can be loaded into the trailer

ROG

Visit site
Can anyone tell me if i could tow with a hyandai santa fe 2.0 td?
Thank you in advance

B+E licence = max actual towing weight of 2300 kgs as long as trailer MAM allows it

B licence = max plated trailer MAM of 1120 kgs so might just be possible with the lightest trailer around 655 kgs unladen with a pony of around 450 kgs

VikkiL

Visit site
Hello, looking to get my daughter out o her shetland pony this summer. Car is Ford C-max, trailer would be Robisons Requisite Single. Pony weighs about 120kg.

1- B license
2- 1362kg
3-1990kg
5- 1400kg
6- 590kg

Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
Hello, looking to get my daughter out o her shetland pony this summer. Car is Ford C-max, trailer would be Robisons Requisite Single. Pony weighs about 120kg.

1- B license
2- 1362kg
3-1990kg
5- 1400kg
6- 590kg

Thanks!
Requisite by Robinsons : 75
You will need to contact the manufacturer of this trailer and have it down plated from 1400 to no more than 1362 kgs then it will be legal for B licence towing

Harry44

Visit site
Hi I was hoping you could help, would I be able to tow an equitrek trailer with a Volvo XC90? I ideally want to tow 2 horses but guessing this would be pushing it! Thanks :)

ROG

Visit site
Hi I was hoping you could help, would I be able to tow an equitrek trailer with a Volvo XC90? I ideally want to tow 2 horses but guessing this would be pushing it! Thanks :)
Volvo XC90
Towing capacity = 2250 kgs = actual weight it can tow (unladen trailer + load)
GVW = 2750

This will need a B+E licence

If you need more then I will need to know the equitrek model

hayley.t

Visit site
Hi, I don't have my b+e as passed my test after 1997 :(. I drive a L200 Barbarian pick up (60 plate), which has a kerb weight of 1865kg. Legally would I be able to tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 1635kg? I think this is right but don't trust my own understanding of the goverment website. I would only tow a 14.1 cob and fallabella so think it is do-able in some cheval liberte/ requisite models that allow 835- 1000kg towing capacity. Please help?

ROG

Visit site
Hi, I don't have my b+e as passed my test after 1997 :(. I drive a L200 Barbarian pick up (60 plate), which has a kerb weight of 1865kg. Legally would I be able to tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 1635kg? I think this is right but don't trust my own understanding of the goverment website. I would only tow a 14.1 cob and fallabella so think it is do-able in some cheval liberte/ requisite models that allow 835- 1000kg towing capacity. Please help?
The GVW of that vehicle is about 2900 kgs so the max plated MAM weight of a trailer on a B licence will be 750 kgs

For B licence towing these are the rules...
The GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer cannot be more than 3500 kgs
The plated MAM of the trailer cannot be more then the vehicle kerbweight

Find the vehicle GVW and the kerbweight
Find the plated MAM of the trailer
These can usually be found on the internet as well as on the vehicle/trailer and in the paperwork for the vehicle/trailer

M_G

Visit site
Another weight question.. If I have B+E on my licence and a vehicle with a max towing capacity of 2000kgs can I tow a trailer with a greater MAM than 2000kgs if actual laden weight of trailer is less than 2000 kgs?

ROG

Visit site
Another weight question.. If I have B+E on my licence and a vehicle with a max towing capacity of 2000kgs can I tow a trailer with a greater MAM than 2000kgs if actual laden weight of trailer is less than 2000 kgs?

Sorry ROG I just found stuff & I am ok with this ^^^^ aren't I?
YUP ... perfectly OK :D

Jasmine86

Visit site
Hi think I can guess the answer but want to check as they have offered to move a friends horse

B licence

2x 16.2 warmblood types on board

ROG

Visit site
Hi think I can guess the answer but want to check as they have offered to move a friends horse

B licence

2x 16.2 warmblood types on board
You know whats coming ...... no chance :(

The maximum plated MAM the trailer can have with that vehicle for B licence towing is 750 kgs which is way less than 2700 kgs

You can drive it under your B+E provisional

ROG

Visit site
So does that mean its legal with L plates? Or do they need someone with the licence in the truck?

Thanks for the help its appreciated :) xx
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Also - the supervising driver only needs to be insured if they actually drive but not if they just supervise

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Hi Rog I got my detachable tow bar sorted out last week thanks. When I picked up the trailer the supplier said they hadn't fitted a hitch point for the breakaway cable and that the power was Euro not GB. I've sorted the latter with an adaptor but any ideas on where to go to get a hitch point fitted as when I called the dealer they didn't have a solution and didn't know it was illegal to tow without one!