Welcome to HHO Towing Clinic

ROG

Visit site
No , just the whole weight, do i need to do it in 3 secs to?
You have the total weight but not the weights of the separate vehicle and trailer

If you do go to a standard weighbridge - the type with the large metal plate that an artic can fit on - then get 3 weights by doing this = no need to unhitch
Drive vehicle onto the plate leaving trailer wheels just before the plate - note weight 1 = vehicle
Now drive forward putting both vehicle and trailer onto plate - note weight 2 = total of both
Now drive forward so rear wheels of vehicle are just off the plate - note weight 3 = trailer
You will find that 1 + 3 will equal 2

friesianfan69

Visit site
You have the total weight but not the weights of the separate vehicle and trailer

If you do go to a standard weighbridge - the type with the large metal plate that an artic can fit on - then get 3 weights by doing this = no need to unhitch
Drive vehicle onto the plate leaving trailer wheels just before the plate - note weight 1 = vehicle
Now drive forward putting both vehicle and trailer onto plate - note weight 2 = total of both
Now drive forward so rear wheels of vehicle are just off the plate - note weight 3 = trailer
You will find that 1 + 3 will equal 2
ok will do, Is the total weight ok though? do i need the separate weights to ?

Last edited:

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Hello ROG I need some advice please. I’ve got a mare and foal trailer and a B licence. The trailer (580kg) + horse (550kg) plus GVW of my car 2,200 is under 3.5, however I’ve noticed the MAM of my little lightweight trailer is a whopping 1800kg (even though the unladen weight is 580kg). Is it the MAM + GVW that needs to be less than 3.5t? Thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hello ROG I need some advice please. I’ve got a mare and foal trailer and a B licence. The trailer (580kg) + horse (550kg) plus GVW of my car 2,200 is under 3.5, however I’ve noticed the MAM of my little lightweight trailer is a whopping 1800kg (even though the unladen weight is 580kg). Is it the MAM + GVW that needs to be less than 3.5t? Thanks
GVW + MAM does need to be be 3500 max for B towing

What is your trailer? - make and model please

ROG

Visit site
Looks like most of my advice on this thread will be useless after the Autumn
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021
What will change later in 2021
The law is going to change later in 2021. It will mean that if you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’ll be allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM without taking a car and trailer driving test.

Car and trailer driving tests are stopping ahead of the law changing. This means you can no longer book or take a car and trailer driving test from 20 September 2021. However, the law about what you can tow will not change until later in autumn 2021.

ROG

Visit site
This might be my post on this thread so here are the rules for B+E

Do not exceed the max tow capacity of the vehicle
Do not exceed the max trailer plated MAM weight
The trailer plated MAM can legally be more than the vehicle max tow weight
Stick to the lowest weight when looking at the max vehicle tow weight and the max trailer plated weight

Legal example
Vehicle max tow 2000
Trailer plated MAM weight 3500
Trailer empty weight 1000
Max load for trailer 1000

friesianfan69

Visit site
This might be my post on this thread so here are the rules for B+E

Do not exceed the max tow capacity of the vehicle
Do not exceed the max trailer plated MAM weight
The trailer plated MAM can legally be more than the vehicle max tow weight
Stick to the lowest weight when looking at the max vehicle tow weight and the max trailer plated weight

Legal example
Vehicle max tow 2000
Trailer plated MAM weight 3500
Trailer empty weight 1000
Max load for trailer 1000
So is mine still ok?