Well this is a can of worms

Littlelegs

Visit site
No idea clava, but the us is a lot bigger anyway so easier to find like minded freaks with a bigger population. I've certainly seen something similar here, think it was a Facebook group a while back iirc.

Buds_mum

Visit site
is anyone looking at the pics on that forum with a face like this :eek:

*some* look fine, on good stocky (i presume qh? and cobby types) others are on like what look 14hh shp!!! madness really.

touchstone

Visit site
Being overweight is fine, provided the horse can carry you happily.

I'd agree with this; one comment on the other forum was the the horse 'didn't once stagger with me', as if this is how you judge a horse is overloaded :(

I agree that the saddle seems to be being marketed for overweight larger riders rather than taller riders, the simple fact that it is being made by 'fuller fillies' alone suggests it is.

We have managed for centuries without using such large saddles, seems sad that we are resorting to them now.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I agree with the majority who think that a 22" saddle is going to be too big for nearly every horse.

I use a 171/2 or 18" saddle on my 16hh horse, but he is both broad and quite long backed, and I need the man's saddle (as it was sold to me) as I have a long thigh, but I don't have big backside.

What about the old army style saddles? I have used one of these at a trecking centre, where the saddles were designed so that even if the rider sat at the back of the saddle in a slumped position, they were not sitting on the b ack of the saddle as the weight bearing bars extended behind the seat - but they didn't go back all that far, and they used a good thick saddle pad underneath.

Looking at the photo it is more about being broad sideways rather than length.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This I find rather sweeping, I know I am heavy, I also know I am balanced, that I get my horses back checked regularly and actually know how to school my horse in order to develop his back muscles, I am fairly sure there are some lovely 9 stone riders on horses with weak backs that do a lot of damage. There is no black and white here. For the record I weigh 17 Stone and I know I am NOT too heavy to ride the horse I have.

I rarely get drawn into the heavy rider debates because they go no where, those that think I shouldn't ride aren't going to change my mind, I doubt I would change theirs and small minded people aren't going to make me sell my horse. This comment just made me boil.

Do you think you should be 'fit' to ride? Or fit really to do any of our chosen sports?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
What gets me, is that they do not feel ashamed or embarassed about it. If I was unfortunate enough to put on that much weight, there is no way I would sit on a horse, not only because I would feel cruel, but because I would worry about what other people would think. I have always been skinny until the past year when I was put onto some pills to help with my severe morning sickness (non pregnancy related). The pills give me a ravenous appetite and I piled on 20 pounds in 4 months. Okay, so that only took me to ten and a half stone, half a stone of which I have now lost. But I have, for the first time in my life had to deal with being a foodaholic. I totally get why these people cannot stop eating. It is REALLY HARD. I lost the half stone but it is a constant daily battle not to pile the weight back on. Of course, I could just come off the pills, and I tried that, but found that I couldn't function as my nausea had more than doubled in intensity. I don't mind staying on them though as they have completely stopped my migraines and my allergic itching. However, I now have rolls of fat that I never have had before and I HATE it. What I am saying, is that I know how hard it is to resist food when you are a foodie, but it can be done, and getting/staying slim enough to ride should be a major incentive.

Montyforever

Visit site
All the heavy horses I have known (cobs/shires/Clydesdale/percherons etc) have all been short backed so can't see many of them taking a 22inch saddle! I'm not skinny but felt fine in a 18inch saddle ..

Beausmate

Visit site
Did anyone read as far as the discussion on people getting their "excess flesh", bra's and "pants" hung up on the horn of their western saddles?! I know I shouldn't but I did snigger/ cringe!

Yep, I read it. With a kind of horrified fascination :eek::D

I reckon some of those women must weigh nearly as much as the horses they're squashing. Certainly more than 20% of the horses' weight anyway.

rhino

Visit site
TBH I think *most* of the riders on the linked thread look fine, and there are some stunning horses and ponies and some great looking partnerships.

I'm more stunned at the state of the horses and the ill fitting tack (upside down bits and bridles put on back to front - i.e. browband behind ears :eek: ). Think I'll stick to CoTH :cool:

Littlelegs

Visit site
I also hate the way these debates always end up with people thinking its fat bashing, when its really down to the horses ability to carry you.

Polotash

Visit site
Just spat tea everywhere :eek:

Haha, me too. Seriously tho, imagine them riding over soft sand or new forest bog... the horse would literally sink, the rider wouldn't be nimble enough to bale, and the pair would end up stuck. Not funny when you think it through :0(

mcnaughty

Visit site
Where is the evidence that very few horses can take an 18" saddle? I have known/do know a large number who do with no problem.
A tall person would need a longer saddle due to the length of their thigh bones.

I don't believe the 22" relates to the flap length but the seat length - not sure what this would have to do with the length of someone's legs???

FfionWinnie

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek:
Anyone noticed a lot of the horses have odd stances, and very few seem to be tracking up...

One actually looks to be sinking slowly into the ground.....

I only got to page 19 but the appy early on is kind of a perfect example. It looks miserable in every pic except the one where she is slimmed down.

Batgirl

Visit site
Do you think you should be 'fit' to ride? Or fit really to do any of our chosen sports?

Absolutely I do, and I am an athlete hence knowing my body very well (my chosen sports include playing rugby north of England, county netball, hockey and basketball, badminton and horseriding). Fit and heavy aren't mutually exclusive, neither are fit and fat (though tend to be more so)

If the comment had said you know when you are too unfit/unbalanced to ride I would have agreed totally :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Pmsl! I think in the last pic on the first page 'me squashing dancer on a trail' the poster is using the 20% guide. Unfortunately, the wrong way round with poor horse weighing 20% of what she does.

Batgirl

Visit site
I also hate the way these debates always end up with people thinking its fat bashing, when its really down to the horses ability to carry you.

The thread started as fat bashing (including the comment that incensed me), people still make sweeping statements along the lines of no one over 13st should ride (though admittedly not on this one yet). Though there are some very balanced and educated views often the ones that get noticed are rude, thoughtless and plain wrong (in my opinion :D).

Haven't looked at the thread that everyone's looking at but as several people have pointed out including you it about the horses ability to comfortably carry you and the combination of horse and rider.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Absolutely I do, and I am an athlete hence knowing my body very well (my chosen sports include playing rugby north of England, county netball, hockey and basketball, badminton and horseriding). Fit and heavy aren't mutually exclusive, neither are fit and fat (though tend to be more so)

So your weight is muscle, as opposed to fat then - which of course is a different kettle of fish all together, I agree.

sunleychops

Visit site
Just to point out I have no problem with muscular or bigger built people riding,
Its just amorphous fat blobs just wobbling about on top of a horse far too small for them that gets me

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Pmsl! I think in the last pic on the first page 'me squashing dancer on a trail' the poster is using the 20% guide. Unfortunately, the wrong way round with poor horse weighing 20% of what she does.

I am not laughing, really I'm not :D:eek:. I am laughing at the skinny people who have clearly posted to be told they are not plus size. :rolleyes:

I am still looking at the thread. It's addictive. :eek:

mandwhy

Visit site
I don't see why they shouldn't manufacture such a saddle if it is suitable for horse and rider. True most horses I know wouldn't take much more than 18 inch but every now and then I see a picture or hear about an 18 or 19 hand horse and think 'that must be the biggest horse I've seen' so if its fitted professionally, why not, and sometimes the seat is bigger than the panels to give a little bit more space. Better spread the weight than perching on top of a too small saddle!

I do find the attitudes of some people in the UK quite ludicrous when it comes to weight limits, trouble is these decisions seem to be made by 9 stone women and the thought of anyone weighing 5 or 6 stone more than them riding any horse doesn't make sense to them. I have a big tall fitness obsessed south African friend who was going to go trail riding in SA and wanted to have a brush up lesson or two first, couldn't find a riding school to take him as he is about 16 stone and built, not even those that clearly had heavy weight hunters and draught horses. What did he ride over there? Some 15 hand Arab type of course!

Likewise their uncle breeds Arabs for endurance and is of similar height and weight. He obviously doesn't know anything about horses though because he is not a bhs gold member ;-)

Whether you have to be fit to ride depends on how fit you mean, I am overweight but not really drastically so for my height, I am fit enough as I do a fair bit of walking and the usual horse related chores help, but I wouldn't say I'd be much good at running or those sorts of intensive cardio sports.