Well this is a can of worms

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Well, I will stand up and be counted as someone who probably needs a bigger saddle - but I do think 22 inches is pushing it too far.

Some horses can take more than 18 inches, though. My saddler says that mine is among them. He is a 16.3 tank (Dutch Harness Horse) and I am 5ft 11, weigh 12.5 stones and have a 36 inch inside leg. All my height comes from freakishly long thigh bones and I am currently trying to ride in an 18 inch Wintec Isabell. I just don't fit in it. Fits horse well, just not me. My knees are usually over the front, no matter how long I ride and I seem to be forced further back than I'd like. It's physically impossible for me to get a shoulder/hip/heel line. I am seriously considering asking for a bigger seat size (along with much longer saddle flaps) should I buy a made to measure next year. These pics are not the best for closely examining saddle size, but will give you an idea:

ttp://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=558465

I don't think synthetic saddles accommodate tall riders very well at all. Have you tried some off the peg different styles? Mine is a 17.5 inch barnsby and completely different to a 17.5 inch thorowgood griffin, which I will point out again was too long for my 13.2 but the barnsby is not :cool:

Theocat

Visit site
Perhaps having to purchase a saddle with such a large seat, and face the difficulty of finding a horse big enough to fit it to happily, might a) encourage heavier riders to really think about their weight and b) might be better for the horse than too-heavy riders just squashing themselves into too-small saddles.

There shouldn't be a need for 22" seats, but there is, and if it forces a few people to think about what they're doing it's no bad thing.

a kind of magic

Visit site
This is a very interesting thread and there are some horrible photos on the linked thread...a lot of unhappy horses!

I have not read all the thread but to the person who commented about western saddles...they are designed completely different to english saddles. The lbs are spread out over a much bigger surface area-most people will fit into a 15", 16", or 17" western saddle-my husband is 6ft 4 and 15st and he rides in a 16"-equivalent to about a 17.5" english.

stacie21

Visit site
It must be great to be naturally as thin as a rake and not have to worry about gym / diets as long as the horse is of a suitable size I don't see the problem why should people be judged

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ok so some of them pics are horrendous but if the horse is up to size draft horse etc then ok

Draught horses were not built to carry much weight on their backs. They are more for hauling weight.... hence draught. They actually have quite weak backs.

Littlelegs

Visit site
The reason being x stones of flab versus x stones of healthy fit person comes down to fitness. Riding is a sport, & in no other would someone say 'yes, I am massively unfit now but still a competent balanced athlete/ballerina/swimmer etc'. If you are fit & healthy & an experienced rider & for arguments sake weigh 14 stone, you'll feel like 14stone to the horse. But, however good you were previously if you are 14 stone of couch potatoe you will not be as balanced & will feel heavier to carry than your actual weight.

Batgirl

Visit site
Exactly, it makes no difference unless you are "fattist". ;)

I also think an unfit (fat or thin) very good rider does not bounce around like a sack of tatties. Just because you aren't fit you don't stop knowing how to ride. When I started back after 10 years I was not fit at all. This meant I couldn't ride for very long because it was blooming hard work to ride correctly. At no time was a bouncing around like a sack of tatties.

I would never contest that I ride lighter than 17 stone, I do however ride 'lighter' than a 17 stone FAT person. Someone said that people use the vet thing about 'riding lighter' as an excuse to be heavier and I agree. Trying to say that you are light enough on a horse because you are muscle is bull, saying that a horse that can take 17 stone should carry an 'amorphous blob' is wrong.

I purposely bought a horse capable of carrying me and I make sure I am fit and balanced enough to to ride him, I wouldn't allow a FAT 17 stone person on him.

I hope that made some sort of sense????:):eek::D

(edited to say I think littlelegs beat me to it more succinctly :) )

Emilieu

Visit site
Feeling very guilty reading some of these comments - I'm sure if I was a nicer person I wouldn't be snorting with laughter :eek:
Seriously tho - that link is outrageous.

flump

Visit site
Yes!!
I can stop my diet and just put a bigger saddle on my horse! An plus I'm skinny compared too those other riders so yeah I'm off to maccers!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I can assure you my riding was not unbalanced and I did not magically weigh more when I was not riding fit. Incidentally I was not overweight and have never ridden over weight (I have been over weight tho!).

I agree an incompetent unfit rider of any size would be worse for the horse.

Batgirl

Visit site
I can assure you my riding was not unbalanced and I did not magically weigh more when I was not riding fit. Incidentally I was not overweight and have never ridden over weight (I have been over weight tho!).

I agree an incompetent unfit rider of any size would be worse for the horse.

i hope I didn't offend you, I tend to say 'you' when I mean anyone! The quote was meant to be just the fattist part :)

However although you may not have been bouncing around like tatties you were not as balanced or light on the horse as you were/are when riding fit.

Mardy Mare

Visit site
Feeling very guilty reading some of these comments - I'm sure if I was a nicer person I wouldn't be snorting with laughter :eek:
Seriously tho - that link is outrageous.

I agree.

I cannot believe what sights I have seen on that thread. Those poor, poor horses. How do the riders get on :confused: Or even walk to the field to catch them :rolleyes:

I really commend people getting off their arses and engaging in physical activities to get fitter/loose weight. However, when you are the size of the majority of the people in that thread, I really think horse riding is not the way to go and you're being pretty selfish forcing an animal to lug you around when clearly you don't do it enough yourself :(

Littlelegs

Visit site
Fw my comments weren't aimed at you riding. Nor at anyone who happens to be slightly overweight or unfit. I'm talking about the difference between a healthy person & a blob. You can control muscle, but flab tends to move around itself, so can't possibly be controlled or balaced. Carrying a few spare inches on top of muscle, then yes of course it can be balanced. A huge overhanging belly that swings about, no it can't possibly be balanced. (and by huge overhanging belly I don't mean someone a bit plump, I'm talking morbidly obese).

Puddock

Visit site
I don't think synthetic saddles accommodate tall riders very well at all. Have you tried some off the peg different styles? Mine is a 17.5 inch barnsby and completely different to a 17.5 inch thorowgood griffin, which I will point out again was too long for my 13.2 but the barnsby is not :cool:

True FfionWinnie - I think we chatted about Barnsbys before? Haven't had an opportunity yet to try a variety - current saddle fitter doesn't carry a big range of secondhand at all. The Isabell is supposed to be quite good position-wise for a lot of people, though. Just not me it seems!

maisie06

Visit site
I am overweight, but not morbidly obese, I am careful about what horses I ride and even asked my vet, instructor and the physio if I was too heavy as my lad has a spavin. I was told not to be silly!! I keep to sturdy native and cob types these days!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Wow a 22 inch saddle!! Must be a loooong horse!!

I require a 17.5 for the length of my thigh as I have stupidly long legs for my small height (5ft1) but pony requires a 17 so I have to put up with jumping with my knees over the knee rolls. I know its not much but it does actually make a difference. Pony being a coblet needs a cob saddle so the kneerolls are actually rather flat anyways.

My butt fits fine into the 17 inch (with the weight off) and my 17.5 seat that i used to be overflowing at times now seems roomy lol :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
True FfionWinnie - I think we chatted about Barnsbys before? Haven't had an opportunity yet to try a variety - current saddle fitter doesn't carry a big range of secondhand at all. The Isabell is supposed to be quite good position-wise for a lot of people, though. Just not me it seems!

Lol when I was typing it I was wondering if it was you, I couldn't remember so thought I'd bang on about it anyway. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
i hope I didn't offend you, I tend to say 'you' when I mean anyone! The quote was meant to be just the fattist part :)

However although you may not have been bouncing around like tatties you were not as balanced or light on the horse as you were/are when riding fit.

Lol you haven't offended me however I know I was just as balanced as I always was because I have it on video. I sent it to my friend who is an instructor and her first comment was, what a light and sympathetic rider I am. The pony is 13.2 and I am seriously paranoid about squashing her.

I think we are talking a bit cross purposes however because while I wasn't riding fit, I am fit as my job involves walking miles, running after young dogs and wrestling sheep and cattle to the ground. (ok not really a cattle wrestler but their equipment is all heavy!).

I wasn't referring to the super duper sized riders on the other thread.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Finally found the size guide I knew existed :)
According to this, at 5'6" and weighing 9stones I need an 18" saddle.
From the Thoroughgood site:-
It's easy to find the saddle size that suits you. Sit somewhere so your thigh is at a right angle to your lower leg and measure from the back of your buttock to the point of your knee.Upper leg lengthRecommended seat sizeUp to 16½" (41cms)15"Up to 18½" (46cms)
16"Up to 20" (50cms)16½
"Up to 21½" (54cms)17"Up to 23" (58cms)17½"
Up to 23" (59cms)or longer18"
While this offers you a guide, the seat size required may vary according to your build.

katastrophykat

Visit site
Re the question of how they get on ( cant quote as on phone, sorry) but I may answer that one...

I went to see a 16.3 ID x not long ago and was surprised to find a lady owner as round as she was tall. Her BF was with her (think of the jack spratt nursery rhyme at this point) and I'd taken a friend with me to view said horse.

Asked we to trot it up- she was unable, as couldn't run with it though she did have a good go.

Asked her to ride it first (once bitten etc) and though reluctant, she agreed. She then tacked it up and looked about for something to climb on (she advised she had just moved yards but used a stepladder at the last one...) she found a couple of handy piles of flagstones, beside each other- one about 1'6 and the other maybe 3'. I didn't dare look at my friend as she climbed the pile to the top and stood waiting for the (unhorsey) BF to park the horse. Once they had him parked, the poor lad stood like a saint while she took hold of her ankle and hoisted it over his bum. The BF from the other side took hold of her ankle and dragged it over the cantle so her inner calf was resting on his saddle. She kind of hopped across the wobbly flagstones, and managed to get her knee across the saddle. He then took hold of her ankle and physically dragged her into place amid lots of huffing and puffing. She took five minutes to recover from the ordeal before asking him to walk on. For the whole viewing friend and I avoided eye contact completely. She could not ride to save her life- the poor horse was unerringly sweet to her, stopping when she unbalanced and flatly refusing to trot- when pushed he managed a few strides but she couldn't rise to any form of rhythym so he stopped. I rode him and found him to be a forward, easy type, but backing off seriously and I felt he was expecting to be sore the whole time, so we gave him a miss.

She has since sold him, has lost no weight at all, and after telling me that she wanted a 14hh heavy cob, was last seen on Facebook asking after three ex racers- all flat bred ones. 8o

WelshD

Visit site
Whilst I agree with many comments on this thread (I am very large and wouldn't dream of riding a horse at anywhere near my current weight) I do think that some of the comments towards the people who bravely put their pics up on the US thread are a bit unfair, I hope to goodness none of them stumble across this thread :(

katastrophykat

Visit site
See, I had a good look at that thread... And found them to be cruel.

you say you wouldn't consider it, and I'm certain that you're nowhere near the weight of those riders.

Quite a few of those pics are downright cruelty I'm afraid.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Tbh, I couldn't care less if they read any derogatory comments. Some of those pictures are downright cruel, & I couldn't give a flying **** about the feelings of someone who is cruel to an animal. If people insist on loading their gigantic lardy selves onto a horse blatantly far too small & causing suffering they can only expect people with decent morals to be offended. As it is, I'd be equally derogatory if it featured small slim adults riding 7hh minis.

spookypony

Visit site
No comment on the FF saddles, but another not-tall, not-fat person here that needs a longer saddle. My pony shouldn't have anything longer than 17", and even that's pushing it, but I really need an 18", except for a dressage saddle, where I can get away with 17". I'm 5' 5.5", weigh 9.5st, and am as thin as I was at 9st (just fitter). Both the pony's saddles are 17", but I need to look at getting something with shorter panels and a longer seat, so that I don't feel like a grasshopper when I shorten up stirrups. I have no idea if or why or how WFP rides in a 17", but for me, that's uncomfortably short.

skydy

Visit site
In the US they have a different view as to what is acceptable.

http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/anyone-brave-enough-post-98650/

In the U.S. the majority of horse people, do not find the very obese people on that forum, riding weedy horses, acceptable in any equestrian sense of the word.
It seems to me that most on that forum have had no instruction and have no idea what they are doing. I'd like to think that if they did, they would not be putting bridles on backward or getting on obviously unsuitable horses.
I can only imagine the unkind words that would be directed towards them if they posted those photos on the forum that I frequent.

Heavy riders need a suitable horse, period.

Tnavas

Visit site
I've just bought an 18" saddle for my horse, true she is a Clydesdale but is 16hh, quite compact and certainly no problem fitting her.

I'm 5'7" tall and have long thighs, when I jump the average GP barely allows me to raise the stirrups more than a couple of holes, any more - I usually like to go up 6 holes from flat - my bum is pushed out of the saddle or my knees go over the front of the knee rolls.

I'm not sure that I'd ever need a 22" even though it sounds like my butt would fit more comfortably and safely in that size - I shall just keep dieting instead.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
No comment on the FF saddles, but another not-tall, not-fat person here that needs a longer saddle. My pony shouldn't have anything longer than 17", and even that's pushing it, but I really need an 18", except for a dressage saddle, where I can get away with 17". I'm 5' 5.5", weigh 9.5st, and am as thin as I was at 9st (just fitter). Both the pony's saddles are 17", but I need to look at getting something with shorter panels and a longer seat, so that I don't feel like a grasshopper when I shorten up stirrups. I have no idea if or why or how WFP rides in a 17", but for me, that's uncomfortably short.

WFP'S saddles are made longer on the flap and knee roll. The more of your thigh you have on the saddle the less stable you are and if someone thinks their knees are too long past the shoulder, the saddle needs to come back a bit further as it could be too far forward.

Clava

Visit site
In the U.S. the majority of horse people, do not find the very obese people on that forum, riding weedy horses, acceptable in any equestrian sense of the word.
It seems to me that most on that forum have had no instruction and have no idea what they are doing. I'd like to think that if they did, they would not be putting bridles on backward or getting on obviously unsuitable horses.
I can only imagine the unkind words that would be directed towards them if they posted those photos on the forum that I frequent.

Heavy riders need a suitable horse, period.

Well on that forum it is tolerated (over here I doubt such a sub-forum could even exist) even on the main part and generally on other forums I have also seen the level of weight that is regarded as OK as being much higher than would be deemed OK over here, but this is only my perception. It is just a horse forum for anyone so just a tiny a snap shot of what goes on in some places in the US (mostly although an international forum).