welsh d temperaments - your opinions please

dorito

Visit site
I quite fancy either a welsh d or a connie, I want a nice safe hack/school horse who can carry a bit of weight, and don't really like anything over 14.2. Also, it's shallow I know, but would like one that pleases the eye.

Really like the way some of the welshies are put together and they are way cheaper than connies.

But, whilst I've not heard much bad about connies (other than some can be spooky) there do seem to be divided opinions re the welshies' temperaments.

I know ultimately it's all down to individual ponies but, in your experience, are the nice, amenable, safe welsh d's in a really tiny minority or reasonably common?

Also seen people say on the forum that there would be certain bloodlines to avoid/look for - would appreciate a PM if you have any thoughts.
thanks

competitiondiva

Visit site
I know pure welshies can be like marmite you either gel with them or you don't they have character, flair and ability, but aren't everyone's cup of tea. I have a welsh partbred, how much of his temperament is from the welsh I can't say but he is the easiest, sweetest, and most laid back lad I've ever known and to say he's only 2 years old he is amazing, this is a pic of him... as you can see he also has the looks, so a perfect combination!! A partbred maybe an option?

samsungpicswork2798.jpg

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I've had one of the hysterical kind and one that was so laid back he was horizontal.

The hysterical one was the better performer, far quicker thinking and intelligent but the laid back one was much easier to live with and to actually compete because you knew what you were getting each time he went out.

Great fun though, both of them, and lovely people to have about the place.

jrp204

Visit site
We had a pure 'D' who could be an absolute pig, would try to climb out of the stable and be extremely bolshie. We are not novices and he really tried us! When he was going well, he went beautifully.
I know you can't generalise about a breed but I must admit it would have to be a very special D for me to have another pure bred.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We've had Section D & found him to be pretty stubborn & was a little lazy as well. He seemed to suffer from 'Little Man Syndrome' & was pushy & bolshy. It may have been him in particular but that's how he was. We eventually got a New Forest & he was marvelous. He could do almost everything really well & his attitude to work was also good.

We've never had a Connie, but friends have. They can turn their 'hoof' to anything & are willing to please & very trainable.

Given the choice I would have Connie or New Forest in preference to a Section D. This is purely personal, I don't dislike Section D just that I prefer the others.

w1bbler

Visit site
1 of mine is a welsh D - unknown blood lines (she was born before passports were compulsory). Whilst I love her to bits, she can be bolshy / opinionated if allowed. Very forward going, leaps about a bit when she thinks its time for a gallop & can keep going for ages, but somehow always feels safe. Would not want anything else - she is my horse of a lifetime.
She is also the bravest jumper - I'm have no confidence jumping & am a firm believer in keeping all 4 feet close to the ground, but she has other ideas. Taken her clear round jumping a few times & whilst I have a panick on board looking at scary fillers etc she just takes matters into her own hooves & pops beautifully over the jumps, whilst I shut my eyes & hope :eek:

Flame_

Visit site
They're tricky, generally speaking, and when compared to the other native breeds. Not very tricky, just not straightforward. If you like being kept on your toes and having to put some thought into riding, Welsh Ds are great. If you want something forgiving without too many ideas of its own, most Welsh Ds wouldn't fit the bill IMO. Older Ds that have been well educated can be great horses for all sorts of riders, but so many are screwed up because they are more horse than people bargain for.

BBH

Visit site
I have a welsh D who has just turned 4 and is being backed and he is amazing. He is not a chunky leg in each corner type and is finer but looks super under saddle, when muscled up he'll be stunning, and I say that as a WB lover.

I don't know lots of welsh D's but people who do have them absolutely love them and I think if you find the right one you'll have a friend for life. They can take advantage and I wouldn't say they'd be great for a novice without support but for a fun, loyal all rounder for someone who knows what they're doing they're great.

I've heard New Forests can be very stubborn and where I am you can buy them for the price of a pint so that kind of puts me off.

showqa

Visit site
Generalising, I would say that Section D's can be a handful. They can have amazing movement, very clever and so long as you are confident with ample time to put into them, you can have a lot of fun. Personally, I think they are gorgeous and quite the head turner, but if you want a horse that's rather less maintenance (mentally I'm talking about) a Connie would be more suitable.

I'd choose the D because they're quite a bit like PRE's (I think they may even have PRE in them somewhere) - and I have one of those.

SavingGrace

Visit site
I have a quirky section d part bred! She is very pleasing on the eyes and very laid back but you have to remain one step ahead of her at all times whether on the ground or under saddle as she can and will chance her luck lol!

SillyFilly

Visit site
I have a 3yo Cefncoch filly. Shes amazing!!

Shes pushed every boundry ever set, she thinks shes always right.....she has character coming out of her ears!!

Shes barged me, flattened me against walls, shoved me (flying across yard!!), dragged me, planted.....

BUT, we worked on it...and now have a mutual respect. Shes loving and affectionate, loyal (will choose me over field mates), we have trust (she looks to me for confidence)......

AND, well, I reckon, pretty damn georgeous...;)

Good luck with your decision...I wouldnt swap my welshie for the world!!

03062011494.jpg

mrogers

Visit site
You either love or hate welshies. I CANNOT stand it when people say get a nice cob for a first pony. They often tend to be fiery, opinionated and arrogant. You either get on with them or you don't. A common problem with D's in inbreeding as studs tend to like a few bloodlines and keep to them which I think counts for a lot in their temperment. Having said that they are advertised as the best ride and drive pony in the world and as far as versitilty goes you cant get much better.

Eventhough I have welshies, the best horse I have had was a connie. Very kind and genuine

pixiebee

Visit site
My sister has a welsh D and he has always been quite spooky and when he was younger, used to bolt on a panic quite a bit. As he has gotten older he has improved. My sister in law bought a welsh D and she was very flighty. She was also a rearer when she didnt want to do something but was a gem to handle from the ground. My sister also has a connie who is very stubborn and mareish (maybe the geldings are better?) Ive got a new forest and I cannot fault him, he is super calm in traffic/open fields/jumping/driving/to handle. You can get newforests quite cheap and ive seen some 14.1 / 2's around.

brigantia

Visit site
The general stereotype is that Connies are a lot easier than Welshies, but I've known horses of both breeds who were absolute handfuls. I think it depends a lot on the individual horse. You buy an individual, not a breed!

That said, I love my partbred Welsh D and wouldn't trade her for anything. She's very clever, quirky, and can be challenging, but makes up for it by being so damn cute and cuddly and affectionate. :cool:

joeanne

Visit site
Swings and roundabouts. We have one here thats the safest pony in the world, can do just about anything with her, then a section D (Nebo lines) thats an absolute fruit loop!

tobysg

Visit site
Mine is extremely excitable and willing. She will give most things a try and although she 'misbehaves' its either due to being excited about what we are doing or scared/inexperienced.
She has a kind nature, would never try to harm her rider or get anyone off and is always eager to please. she thrives on praise and loves to be told how brilliant she is.
Although her schooling needs work, everything she does in the school is simply her trying to please me.
She does sometimes goes off in her own bubble and does her own thing when being ridden, it's rather bizarre. I have to either shout her name or half halt to remind her that I am there and we are doing work!
She's beautiful and flashy, and enjoys showing off how well she can move!

I've had two and would not hesitate to get another one.
They are all different though and I do not think it is fair to make assumptions about a breed, as there are many chilled out D's around.
Mine is just a prime example of a hot headed one.

Megibo

Visit site
I have a D from Nebo, Derwen and Brenin lines-and not a whisper of inbreeding anywhere!
moo2642009.jpg

She's 100% temperament wise you can do ANYTHING to her, bath clip load etc etc etc and if you want to stick your finger in her ear or up her nose she couldn't care less! (not that i do but its happened by accident before). Forward going but safe.
can also turn her hoof to anything. SOMETIMES she's very cuddly and affectionate :D

downsides: not suitable for the younger rider, she was bought for me when she was 6 and i was 11 and it took a year and a half and lessons before we 'clicked'.
very bolshy if you let them although mine learnt manners and once they know them they're a pleasure to be around.
have to ride very quietly or she'll get very fizzy and get on her toes however if she starts messing about i.e napping/bucking you give her a smack/growl and then she works with no issues whatsoever.

i've also found that once you get that bond with them a D they wont easily forget it!
my friend has a connie that can do abit of everything however he's very very sensitive, takes off alot and can be a twit generally. but i like him! so it depends on the individual and what sort of horse you like.

mrogers

Visit site
Maesmynach lines are nearly always 15hh +, Yarty lines are always sharp. Rotherdale breeds nice small typey ponies,I've only seen 2 but both bolt at the drop of a hat. Nebo and Derwen are very popular as are Trevallion

soulfull

Visit site
If you don' tmind a horse that you have to watch every minute and are strict enough to make sure the 'line' is NEVER crossed no matter how distracted you are, then fine.

They are strong willed, exceptionally intelligent and use it against you.

Often aged 4 to 6 they are darlings, 6th year is very often the worst!

After always having welshies I now have a young WB and believe me as much as I love the WC I would never have another one!! Just too much hard work

dorito

Visit site
Drooling at all the photos - they're all beautiful.

Probably should have said in my OP that I have had an arab mare, she was lovely most ways but was spooky and quirky - I totally adore arabs but am too old to go there again!

I would say I'm a kind, educated rider though no pretensions to being any great shakes, but I do always try...blame myself before blaming the horse. But I'm not strong or brave and don't want to have to sort out any nastiness/vices.

Ebbw

Visit site
I have ridden other breeds (Connie, PRE, luso, TB) in my lessons and have ridden my friend's arab a few times, but apart from that my 26yrs of riding has been on the backs of section C's and D's and their crosses.

I love them. there's yet to be one I thoroughly dislike. They've all had more good points than bad.
They've also all been very different in their ways.

My own is:
Responsive and quick to learn and enjoys doing things he can understand but can be a little awkward taking on board new ideas. He can be turned off easily by wrong handling which can either make him angry or nervous. He does need consistent, clear handling otherwise he will test the boundaries but as long as you uphold the rules he is very good. Can be spooky and reactive.

Others I have ridden for my friend:

-Manners on ground were immpeccable. Not phased by new surroundings. Jumped like a stag. Could be tense and whizzy and needed a sympathetic and balanced rider. Could be a little strong (probably due to the lack of balance). very willing and game, a real trier.

-So laid back he was horizontal, a big softie. As a three year old you could put a novice on his back and he'd just trundle along calmly and unquestioning. Capable of more if you focussed him.

- An absolute daydreamer. Loves attention, loves being in the thick of it. Phased by nothing. Unless you're insistent two gears outwardbound slow pace and return leg power walk! Proper trekker mentality! Willing to do more with strict (but sympathetic handling).

I realise that sounds like a bunch of dating agency ads, but it may give an idea of the variation in personalities out there.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I have a WPB - she's 3/4 Section D and 1/4 Appaloosa. She is homebred, and when she was two years old and up until we backed her a couple of months ago at rising four, I would cheerfully have given her away! She never did anything really naughty, but she is very in your face, pushy, busy, can't stand still type. She's changed a lot since being backed - under saddle she is a kick along ride, and very sane. I think I've hacked her out about 25 times, and she's spooked three times, spun and trotted off a couple of strides, but that's it, takes traffic in her stride etc etc. I've been really surprised at the difference, and now certainly wouldn't give her to anyone!

EllieheadshotMay2009.jpg

And this was her on her third hack - we broke her by hacking her, we have no school, so she was straight out onto byways and roads.
EllieandHarleyLucyandKaren.jpg

POLLDARK

Visit site
My experience of Sec D s is limited to two. Never again, even as a gift. Both were good looking, very good paces etc but very volatile to the point of being dangerous at times.. Very likely to explode at competitions & blow all the training out of the window. Go for the Connie or better still a New Forest who are good all rounders, really good at jumping & dressage.

foxeefilly1

Visit site
ive got a 3 year old, whilst he is the most gorgeous looking horse, he's a pig sometimes. only an owner would love him! Hes very bolshy/dominant in the field with other horses/animals, hes a pig around food with other horses and will overstep the mark if you just give an inch. He's very loving and cheeky though and i love him to bits (hate him sometimes though!) He's with me for life and i will overcome anything he throws at me. Ive backed him as a 3 year old as he knows his strength. Obviously only quietly worked with him, and as i have no school it has all been done in the paddock and on the lanes. He has been absolutely fantastic to back and has thrown no problems at me yet, he absolutely loves going out and physically droops if you turn him for home. He's had no company to ride out with as none of the others are broken, so this is a positive thing for him as he will now hack out alone, albeit with a walker alongside. He will be turned away until next spring, when he is physically ready for more schooling. A welsh owner is definately a certain type of person, they react very badly to aggressiveness and most will fight you all the way, however once a bond is created there is no other like it.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Quite literally, I sold mine to the first person with a fiver! ;) She was a rather headstrong, opinionated, cheeky feisty mare - with a brave heart and a rather impressive stamp. Jumped for fun, but usually out of fields when you didn't want her to....

foxeefilly1

Visit site
sometimes i think to myself should i just bloody sell him! when he's being a pain and im too tired etc to deal with him i think of this, but he then blows in my face and all is forgiven, also the fact he's had 5 homes in his 3 short years makes me feel sorry for him :(, mayb thats telling me something though! lol

Damnation

Visit site
You get good and bad in every breed. I knew one Welsh D who was a fantastic 1st ridden, 14.1hh, looked after you, completely safe hacking alone, in company, at gallop, or just a walk through open spaces. He won quite a bit out competing too.

Also knew a Welsh C cross Welsh D. Don't get me wrong he did well for his owner but only she could ride him, he was very sharp. Took her 2 years to get her legs on him. Hunting boiled his brain and left him with a complex.. However she Evented him, schooled him to Medium Dressage and he would hack anywhere alone or in compant. Taught her to be a good rider but you always had to be so quiet around him. If you were mucking out around him you couldn't stroke him while you were holding the shavings fork, he would freak!

As with any horse purchase, you know what you want and what you like. It is then a case of finding a horse that suits your ability and needs.

Good luck.

ETA: I know quite a few connies too. Same applies above, they can be sane or complete eejits! And I know of both, again its a case of finding a horse you click with, it could end up being something completely different to what you want. (I went horse shopping for a cob a few years ago, a good all rounder, something safe, been there done that, 7 years old at least. Came back with a 14.3 TB 4 year old.. she did grow to 15.2hh!!)

Last edited: