What breed of horse do you have and why

missfitz50

Visit site
I have a 4 yr old Welsh Section D mare - because after losing my TBx who I'd owned for 14 years, I wanted something I could have fun with.... I have certainly found my "inner child" with her :D

My mum owns a Morgan who she's owned since he was 9 months old (he's now 16).... we watched a Disney film called Justin Morgan had a Horse and always vowed to own one....

Nakita

Visit site
I have a Friesian and to be honest I did buy her for the simple reason Friesians are beautiful. They are much more than just looks though, she is such a laid back youngster, takes everything in her stride but at the same time has so much character, never fails to make me laugh, she just seems to love life, never complains & loves to be around people.
She does have a stubborn streak though & does not suffer fools gladly ... well apart from me because I feed her :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have a Lusitano x TB. I wasn't looking specifically for this - I was just looking for a competition horse. Love Iberians now (even though he's on part bred, he has the high front leg action etc.). Would definately have a pure bred or another part. They're so willing natured. I also have a soft spot for Welsh Cobs - had one which I sold not long ago, they have such massive characters. Again, would have another!

bananas_22

Visit site
I have a Belgian Warmblood who is most definitely NOT dumb! I have her because she is talented (and knows it!), beautiful (and knows it!) and can for the most part also put up with my Novice OH bouncing around on her.... however, she is also very stubborn and if she decides he is not learning something quick enough, she has been known to buck him off to sharpen his attention ;)

I also have another Belgian Warmblood on loan because he was the first horse we found that matched our requirements :)

Charliepony

Visit site
My favourite breed is the thoroughbred... I just click with them, especially small, scrawny, mud coloured ex racers... I have no idea why! :D Also love Appaloosas, though have yet to own one!! An appaloosa sporthorse would be a lovely thing to have :p

At the moment I have a warmblood, he's trak x hano, I bought him because I had a budget of 3k, and decided to go for an unbroken youngster, in the hope that after breaking him in ect, I would have a horse that I could never have afforded had I not done all the work... So greed, really :p But he's a lovely chap, and very scopey, in truth it would be me holding him back!! And also it seems you need a warmblood to progress in dressage these days :( He certainly has the paces! And I imagine that if I were to sell him as he is now, I could easily get 7k... Not that he's going anywhere!! :D

If I wasn't thinking so much about moving up the levels in dressage, and just wanted a horse for myself, I would always go back to the thoroughbred!!

JodesFG

Visit site
I've always had Dutch Warmbloods but my current baby is a Dutch WB x Welsh D...she's only 7 months so i'll withhold my opinion at present (she is blooming gorgeous though!) but I bought her after seeing her glide across the field like the star I hope she'll be!

Kenzo

Visit site
ID/WB/TB - bought him as a 2yr old, went to view another horse that was for sale, ended up looking at some of their youngstock and liked him straight away, so I didn't plan to buy that particular mixture of breeding.

TB - Asked me to have her, had TB's in the past though. I have a soft spot for ex racers or TB's that have been in training, I love the fact that these horses can be re-trained to do something else but it's important that they are trained to do something they are naturally good at and enjoy and that hopefully they end up in lovely homes or at least have a use when they are no used for the racing industry.

Faro

Visit site
Arabs.

I always wanted one since I was a child, for their beauty, their high tails, and the way they move and for their spirit. And when I finally did get my first Arab I found that I clicked with their personality as well. It was only later that I realised also that they're much tougher than you think, extremely hardy, and easy to do (well, mine are anyway). They're certainly no plods, and boy, they are incredibly intelligent!

For as long as I have horses, I would like to think I'll always have at least one pure bred Arab.

SplashofSoy

Visit site
I have a TB but wasnt looking for any particular breed, he was just the horse i wanted. But now have one would put them at the top of my list if i got another.

Pipkin

Visit site
I have a PBA Ayla....she`s got a lot of tb in her... no idea why i chose her because I always vowed never to own an arab or a tb, :D she`s my number one and horse of a life time she`s still a baby but looks after me whilst also testing me :D!!!

A cleveland bay Roxy...well my OH`s, he wanted something big and when we went to see her she was a right sweetie and big :D.... very food orientated and bone idle :D but the most friendly and loving horse I`ve ever met

Beau - Welsh X TB, bought him because he`s a breed I`ve been after for a while, i wanted an all rounder and he`s a pretty boy, then i remembered why is sold my old welshie.... pig headed, obnoxious and very sharp :D

Sanolly

Visit site
I have a cob and a welsh C. I don't generally go for breeds as such, more types, I love the native ponies! Beside the only horse I ever really chose was Olly (my cob), the others just sorted of ended up with me including the C who has turned into a cracking mare!
One day, hopefully in the near future I will go and find myself a connie and a NF, I think they are fab!

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
I have an Arab mare :). When I was younger my best friend's mum owned a livery yard and had 3 Arabs (riding mare, broodmare and filly foal). They were quite into the Arab scene at the time, went showing and used to get Arabian Link magazine delivered each month. I loaned one of their other ponies at the time, so I got to go along to shows and went with them when they took the broodmare down to stud etc. My friend also loaned me all her copies of the Jinny books and I basically fell in love with the breed :).
After a year or more with my loan pony, I was really getting too tall for him and my parents offered to buy me my own horse because I'd proved how dedicated I was to horses and because my friend's mum was always on hand to help me out. I pretty much refused to go and see any horse that wasn't an Arab! L was the third horse we went to see, and I fell in love with how fun she was to ride and how sweet she was to handle, and she came home with us when she passed her vetting. I was 11 at the time, and she was my childhood dream :). Now I'm nearly 21 and she's very much part of the family, as much my mum's baby as mine really :p

assuan

Visit site
We have a 10 month old (nearly) Menorquina colt (shhsss, soon to be cut).

A what I hear many of you say -- a P.R.M., Pura Raza Menorqiuna, from the Island of Menorca.

Why? Because I think this breed is stunning, small heads, thick necks and front end, nice slender back end, b-e-a-utiful. Very clever and they move like they are gliding over the surface. Excellent at everything they do...when they get it.

Only been a recognized breed for about 14 years, hardly any in the UK (that I know of). They are basically a English TB, Spanish TB and Arab crossed a million times over about 200 years to make a unique bloodline.

Just found this video on the net where you can see them: http://vimeo.com/5719253

And we have a blog all about our boy 'Assuan' that we imported back end of last year. Would love to have some follows on the blog lol.
http://assuanuk.blogspot.com

opinionuk

Visit site
I have a ISH mare who is a lot more TB than ID, when I went to see and ride her she was a lovely ISH but now she is more like a TB ex racehorse which is a major nightmare, my previous ISH was steady, lovely and extremely reliable but was on loan and had to be returned but after my experience with my current horse I would never buy a mare ever again!

Just found out she windsucks and crib bites, I wasn't informed that she had any vices which now means that selling my 4 year old talented mare will be a nightmare and she will have to be sold for half of what she is worth.

Kokopelli

Visit site
A thoroughbred because I like almost killing myself on a daily basis. ;)

He is smart, athletic, has lovely paces, tries his heart out for me and galloping on him is amazing! :D

sleepykitten

Visit site
314436_2260587350593_1125697713_32694230_1875119_n.jpg

One of these, but I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?? I love it though!!:D And my Friesian of course! LOL

Tnavas

Visit site
I have a Clydesdale mare and she is the love of my life. I've always wanted one and found her quite by accident as a weanling - she is now 8yrs old.

She is so kind and generous and totally mummy's girl. If ridden by anyone else I only have to ask how is she going and she immediately brings them over to me. They have no option but to let her. I've learnt that I must stay silent when I want to watch her work.

I show her succesfully in hand and also breed sport horses from her. Bothe her youngsters have done very well in the show ring. The oldest is now under saddle and working very kindly. Hopefully he will have a go at lots of different stuff. He will be sold next year to fund his sisters career.

Clydesdales crossed with a TB make wonderful athletic sport horses

Emilieu

Visit site
What a wonderful thread, I love seeing everyone's pics ;) I'm another one with a TB ex-racer - NOT what i thought my first horse would be but fell in love with him as soon as I set eyes on him. He's soooooooooooooooo beautiful and watching him run in the field makes me feel like bursting with pride :D

Gorgeous George

Visit site
George is my first horse so I don't have experience of other breeds, but he is a shire, appoloosa, TB, welsh D x (what a mixture :D) but he has a fantastic temprament / character and I would definately look at another shire x

Shellby27

Visit site
Well we have a grand total of 10 horses now ( between Mum and I )

Rosie: Dutch draught mare - I was looking for my first "bomb proof" horse for my partner and I to ride. Went to see this horse in a very sorry state, fell in love and never looked back!

Summer: Dutch draught x anyones guess!!! Rosie's filly foal, no idea Rosie was in foal!

Alfie: Reg Appaloosa colt, just because I have always wanted a spotty!

Robyn: Reg NF mare, purchased from NF sales as a wild foal! Now 20!

Cassie: Welsh B X arab, purchased from Reading sales for £30 as a mental foal! Now 25!

Honey: Welsh x NF X Arab, we owned the colt that jumped his paddock and Honey was made, now 19!

Maddie: Reg NF mare, purchased from NF sales as wild foal. Now 17!

Pepsi: NF mare, (although we think she may have some shetland in her as skewbald) wild of the forest again! Now 15

Splash: Fallabella x Welsh A gelding, asked to rescue him from someones garden as a 2 year old.

Sylvester: Shetland x Welsh A gelding, bought for Splash so he had a "ickle companion".

We have also had a Shire in the past, but mainly New Forest's!

Megibo

Visit site
I have a naughty Welsh D and love her to bits :D Once you click with a Welshie you are smitten !

why...well because I was 11 and pony shopping. My mum said we aren't having anything young, female or welsh! And we bought her as a green (just turned) 6 year old :rolleyes: Not ideal for a first pony, a true second type and she has the best stubborn streak and likes a buck here and there. Took me a year and a half and lessons but finally we clicked and didn't look back.
Oh and because she gets FLUFFY in the winter :D:D
hairbeara.jpg

And in summer she is just the prettiest. :)

pennybun

Visit site
I have a thoroughbred.
Why?
Because we were looking for a 15/15.2 cob type of course.
But this guy was just down the road so we thought we might as well look at him on the way somewhere else.
No-one has ever told him he is a thoroughbred, he was bred to race, but on the training yard they nick named him Rush as he was so slow and uncompetitive. We liked him, the next day our trainer went to see him and just said--why not get him vetted? And that was that.:)

Flame_

Visit site
I have an Arab, because I got bored of sports horses and their lamenesses, dramas and high maintenance. My old part bred arab Flamey is amazing and I fancied doing more endurance, so I went and bought a purebred and its among the best decisions I've ever made.

superted1989

Visit site
Traditional, coloured cob. I've always wanted one, but would have been laughed out of the pony club all those years ago! Markie is very, very comfortable to ride, built like a tank so no trouble with me no longer being sylph-like, and, his backside is bigger than mine when we're out and about! As a bonus, he can really turn it on in the show ring and is a proper head turner (out side of the show ring, he stands like a dollop with everything hanging out!).
In my youth, I had CBxTB and ConniexTB and would be hard pressed to choose between those crosses. I'm not keen on anything WB though, nice to like at but don't like the 'feel' of the movement.