What horse you dreamt of and what you actually ended up with...a bit of fun.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I had one of those 'Illustrated Horse Breeds of the World' type books, a big hardbacked 70's thing that had belonged to my mum before me. The picture they used for the Cleveland Bay was Mulgrave Supreme. That's what I wanted - a big boned, clean-legged dark bay with a big handsome head.

6101858_orig.jpg

What I got was a sub 15hh black Welsh Cob mare - pretty, rather than handsome, blind in one eye but still my horse of a lifetime...

5256_1200035038912_1281918_n.jpg

3242_1157800143066_3077329_n.jpg

And a 40" brown/black shetland mare who spends the winter looking like a gremlin...

524069_10200722523603352_695835031_n.jpg

And then spends the spring winding up my big horse and refusing to be caught. :mad:

532049_10200810872292014_1536630037_n.jpg

625613_10200772892262537_2066737565_n.jpg

fatpiggy

Visit site
I wanted a nice sensible pony type gelding, not grey or chestnut, no arabs and up to 16 hh. Actually got a mad chestnut mare, Welsh D cross with some extra arab in there going by her turned in ears, but at 15.1hh at least that bit was right. Lost her aged rising 30 last autumn :( The kindest horse I ever met, even if she was fruitcake to ride.

skint1

Visit site
What a great thread!
As a horse crazy but sadly horseless child, I wanted an Arab, a golden chestnut mare with a flaxen mane and tail, a blaze and 4 whites, she would be a champion at absolutely everything from the Grand National to the local horse show and everything in between.

I own 3 horses but two are my daughters, none of them are Arabs, one is a chestnut, but of the red variety, but the horse I ended up with for my very own is

not any of those things! :D

AmiRobertson

Visit site
When I started looking last year I wanted a gelding between 6-10years, 16hh+, a bit of a project and definitely not a bay. Who I could have fun with and do some low level eventing and get out and about sponsored rides etc.

I wound up with a 3yr old 16.2 (and rising) bright bay tb mare with confidence issues and poorly feet who in the 8 months I have had her I have ridden less than 20 times oh and she won't load. At least I got the height and project bit :) I wouldn't change her for the world and the day we finally get go XC will be the best day ever and worth all of the hard work.

Weeamigo

Visit site
Great thread really nice to see what everyone has ended up with.

I wanted a coloured cob, sane and sensible able to live out with lot's of feather... I ended up with a Bay 16hh 17 yr Ex race, mad as a box of frogs but loveable taught me everything thing I have ever known.

Ages 28 and a half!

So horse number 2 I wanted a coloured cob safe and sane about 14hh. End up with a 14 yr 16'2hh Shire x Ex police horse terrified of crowds!

Retired age 22

So next I would get the right one surely. A nice safe and sane coloured cob, nope a totally wild, Black god knows yearling rescue that only made 12'3hh!!

Ok so lucky number 4? I WANT a coloured cob, safe as houses that is about 14hh to do everything on and have some fun.. Horse number 4 an un back Highland Cream dun highland filly...15hh!

She is the closest I have got so far. Next horse I am aiming for a TB that way I might just end up with my coloured cob :)

Simbacat

Visit site
Wanted a gelding not a mare and any colour but chestnut and a horse I could take out hacking without worrying about spooks or not having brakes, about 8. Got a 12 year old chestnut mare that had never really hacked out, can spin at a leaf and fast enough to win the Grand National, how did that happen??

horseygirl72

Visit site
first horse I went out to buy was meant to be something between 15.2-16.2hh, 5-10 years that would be a safe hack and had potential to compete bsja... I ended up with a 15hh 12 year old heavyweight traditional cob who was lethal to hack and couldn't jump to save her life, but would never have swapped her for the world :) to this day she has been my fave horse of all I ever owned kept her until she had to be pts because of an infected injury on her leg she received after being kicked in the field :(

Pr1nce

Visit site
I wanted a big strapping gelding in either bay or dun/buckskin. I got exactly what i wanted :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/94815638@N08/8628164145/in/photostream

We have had our ups and downs and he has pushed and tested my confidence no end but we have an understanding now and i know pretty much how he will react in most situations. He has turned into my horse of a lifetime despite me threatening him with the meatman when he was in the middle of his rearing habit and scaring the crap out of me lol

1ST1

Visit site
I wanted something that was not grey, not too big, not younger than 7-8 and not too green. But most of all, I wanted a very sane and sensible horse with a dressage background.
I ended up with a 5 yo, 17hh+ grey WB stallion with a SJ pedigree.
But now, at 7, he turned up to be way better than any old dream :)

With husband:

Ambers mum

Visit site
I wanted something that was not grey, not too big, not younger than 7-8 and not too green. But most of all, I wanted a very sane and sensible horse with a dressage background.
I ended up with a 5 yo, 17hh+ grey WB stallion with a SJ pedigree.
But now, at 7, he turned up to be way better than any old dream :)

With husband:

Stunning x

SpottyTB

Visit site
I never EVER wanted a spotty...

I bought her to ride on and sell.. well spottys sure stick to you, as i still have her 4 years later!!

I got the "new horse" bug again last year, wanted a "smart" bay warmblood.. and i bought a bay warmblood - undecided as to whether he is smart or not yet..

Only a year old :)

mirage

Visit site
When we were looking for a pony for my 7 year old,I wanted an older pony that had been there and done it,definitely nothing under 10,must have hunted,be good in open spaces and in traffic,been to Pony Club and good around farm animals.

What we came home with was a 6 year old that had only been broken 6 months earlier,hadn't hacked out,hunted,or done anything on our wish list.He had never seen livestock or been off the property for 6 months and was a reluctant loader.He hadn't jumped or got the hang of canter.He'd never been to PC or in an indoor school.

However,he is on loan,has a lovely nature and his owners have done anything they can to help us with him.We've had him 3 months now,he has been to PC in an indoor school,been to a mock hunt,not turned a hair at sheep and cows,loads fine,hacks out,will jump a course.He has finally got canter and my daughter galloped him across a 40 acre field at the weekend in company,with no silliness or being out of control.

He is an absolute delight,we all love him and hope to have many happy years with him.I'm so glad we took the chance on him.

ridefast

Visit site
I always wanted a chestnut mare, either arab, arab/tb or arab/welsh. Would have been happy with a pretty chestnut tb aswell. Growing up I had the offer of a tb/welsh/arab chestnut mare, but didn't have anywhere to keep her. A few years on fell in love with a tb ex racer chestnut mare with a squished face :) We really clicked and I could afford to keep her, just didn't have the money to buy her. And now I own a piebald cob mare, not at all the same although I did get the mare part. Love her to bits, she's bigger and wider than I imagined but she's my horse of a lifetime. Still want a chestnut mare though.

Madam Min

Visit site
As a pony mad kid, I'd have given my right arm for any horse! :p

My dream horse was a dapple/iron grey ID or TB or an Arab stallion!

We currently have these 2 lovely girls:

Chloe, dark bay, poss Anglo Arab X and Amber, chesnut reg ISH

picture.php

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I always dreamed of a Black Beauty look-a-like to gallop along cliff tops.....

I ended up with an oddball heinz 57 coloured who's scared of his own shadow!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I absolutely have the horse of my dreams - scope wayyyyyy beyond my ability/ bravery and what do I get ........................ pregnant twice in the 4 years I've had him so we've never really cracked on and done anything major !!!!!

Fazzie

Visit site
I always wanted a chestnut Arab 14.2, flaxen mane & tail, white blaze and four white stockings, saw my dream horse when I was 12 at my parents friends stud she was perfect but not for sale . On my 17th birthday we went to visit them ( they lived 3 hours away) taking the trailer to pick up some 'hay' got there to b told Faery Dancer was all mine!! Couldn't believe it! She was an amazing horse I sadly lost her at 24 to cushings .
Next I was looking for at least 14.2 and definitely 100% not bay- Navaho on here, messaged me about 14 hand dark bay section d and he is my horse of a lifetime!

Rhodders

Visit site
When I was a little girl I used to go to a riding stables with it's usual array of bay, grey and coloureds then one day one of the lad's parents bought him a palomino arab. I still remember the day I saw him riding down the lane on this totally beautiful creature (all be it sideways down the lane). I dreamed of owning a horse like that throughout my childhood.

30 years later I bought my first horse, a hafflinger, so I got the golden coat and the long blond hair without the sideways action ;)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
When I was a little girl I used to go to a riding stables with it's usual array of bay, grey and coloureds then one day one of the lad's parents bought him a palomino arab. I still remember the day I saw him riding down the lane on this totally beautiful creature (all be it sideways down the lane). I dreamed of owning a horse like that throughout my childhood.

30 years later I bought my first horse, a hafflinger, so I got the golden coat and the long blond hair without the sideways action ;)

Just go for a hack on a windy bin day :)