What Is Wrong With His Back End?

coralwings20

Visit site
William had 6 weeks off when we moved and was as fat as a pig! I have brought him back into work slowly but he looks so tucked up behind all the time! I clipped him but instead of a trace clip he had a full clip (minus face & legs) as he was so naughty. I have been riding him upto an hour and lots of pole work - he struggles to maintain an outline in trot but not canter/walk. He is feed 3 big scoops of happyhoof & two big scoops of speedibeet (split into different meals) - on grass & has adaylib hay. Thing is he lives out with a sweat rug & mw rug (to hot in a hw) - have natural shelter. Have enclosed some photos - any ideas?

Amy567

Visit site
Could you be over feeding him, brought him back into work too hard too quickly and actually he's tied up? That's what happened with my mare

Alan's mum

Visit site
As he looks so hollow on the right I think you have to feed him double as its quite obvious that all his current feed is only going to the left.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It doesn't sound like a lot of food to me switchthehorse :confused3:

Op do you have any older pics of him fat as a pig? what is he normally like through the winter? I can only get the first photo to show atm!

I think I would be investigating whether there was something preventing him putting on muscle/maybe run some bloods if this isn't usual for him

I also thought his feet were worrying, is he sound/def not in pain anywhere?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Sorry, but there is something serious going on with his right quarters. That is some mega muscle wastage. Also, the way he is standing is very very suspect. Get the vet out and do not work him. That kind of muscle wastage indicates a fracture or major trauma going on.

Alan's mum

Visit site
I think you will find that if you add 4 scoops of pure oats to his feed he will have more energy and will move a little faster.
As for the rugging issue, what the hell are you doing taking his HW off him at this time of year ???

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
For amymay:

wilskin1.jpg

wilskin2-1.jpg

Abbeygale

Visit site
I would get a good chiro out to check him over - my young Arab looked like that on his hind quarters, and during his chaos causing in the field he had tweaked something in his back, and it was stopping him building up muscle correctly. My boy was not lame, and never for a second gave any indication that anything was wrong with him, but after a couple of sessions, and a month or two of long and low, slow pole work, he started picking up beautifully

I think the photos you have posted are poor photos, as he stood in a rather ungainly fashion,which isn't great for assessing him IMO.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
William had 6 weeks off when we moved and was as fat as a pig! I have brought him back into work slowly but he looks so tucked up behind all the time! I clipped him but instead of a trace clip he had a full clip (minus face & legs) as he was so naughty. I have been riding him upto an hour and lots of pole work - he struggles to maintain an outline in trot but not canter/walk. He is feed 3 big scoops of happyhoof & two big scoops of speedibeet (split into different meals) - on grass & has adaylib hay. Thing is he lives out with a sweat rug & mw rug (to hot in a hw) - have natural shelter. Have enclosed some photos - any ideas?

Sounds a lot of feed to me 5 scoops in each feed, why don't you phone D & H better less of the right stuff is better than loads of the wrong stuff.

I would get the vet or Physio up to see him becasue if he has back or hip issues he will carry himself / work wrong, thus loosing muscles in certain places

Abbeygale

Visit site
Some threads invite facetious comments. This does not appear to be one of them.

ETA I am having problems viewing the photos too. Is there one directly from behind with him standing square? He certainly looks odd in the one shown, but he is standing awkwardly.

My thoughts too TP - the horse is obviously weak behind, but is stood at a very strange angle, and what kind of appears as 'muscle wastage' looks more to me more the way the horse is stood rather than anything else. It would be better to assess the horse from some new photos where he is stood up properly