What Is Wrong With His Back End?

coralwings20

Visit site
I have had him 6 months but have only been hacking - since starting schooling he has lost his bottom - I do plenty of transitions & pole work.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Can he stand straight when viewed from the back or is he always like that? Did you have him vetted when you bought him?

Visit site
Definitely severe muscle wastage on the right hand side of his quarters - as others have said get the Vet out asap and possibly a Chiropractor under their recommendations.

Pigeon

Visit site
My thoughts too TP - the horse is obviously weak behind, but is stood at a very strange angle, and what kind of appears as 'muscle wastage' looks more to me more the way the horse is stood rather than anything else. It would be better to assess the horse from some new photos where he is stood up properly

This. I'm an equine photographer, trust me when I say they can make themselves look deformed very easily... Do his quarters look asymmetrical to you all the time, or do you think that was just a moment in time?

Photos of him stood square (from behind) would help a lot. If he won't stand square, that speaks for itself, really.

I would say vet first, and if they can't find anything significant, go down the chiro or physio route - I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit ouchy from the increased workload. I would also cut out all of the hard feed, in case it is something like azoturia or ulcers.

I don't know why people are being sarky, have I missed something?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
OP- Is your horse sound? The only similar horse ive seen, and it was very similar at the time was a recently fractured pelvis. Obviously this horse was near unable to walk but it did look very similar.

Greylegs

Visit site
Please get a good vet to look at this horse ASAP .... That level of asymmetry and muscle wastage shouts of a trauma or injury.

quirky

Visit site
I'm really surprised that you have such visible muscle wastage yet are still working this horse, including over poles.

Do the lad a favour and get a vet to him. I don't think you should have let it deteriorate this far without a professional looking at him, assuming it didn't happen overnight of course.

Queenbee

Visit site
Sorry, but there is something serious going on with his right quarters. That is some mega muscle wastage. Also, the way he is standing is very very suspect. Get the vet out and do not work him. That kind of muscle wastage indicates a fracture or major trauma going on.

I agree, whatever is going on it looks like significant muscle wastage as opposed to the inability to put weight on, if that makes sense, that hindquarter wastage is one very specific and defined area. I would want further investigations with a vet.

Queenbee

Visit site
I would get a good chiro out to check him over - my young Arab looked like that on his hind quarters, and during his chaos causing in the field he had tweaked something in his back, and it was stopping him building up muscle correctly. My boy was not lame, and never for a second gave any indication that anything was wrong with him, but after a couple of sessions, and a month or two of long and low, slow pole work, he started picking up beautifully

I think the photos you have posted are poor photos, as he stood in a rather ungainly fashion,which isn't great for assessing him IMO.

Actually I'm all for chiros and massage therapists, but in this case, it being so extreme I would want to start with a vet.

Queenbee

Visit site
My thoughts too TP - the horse is obviously weak behind, but is stood at a very strange angle, and what kind of appears as 'muscle wastage' looks more to me more the way the horse is stood rather than anything else. It would be better to assess the horse from some new photos where he is stood up properly

The stance of the horse would produce an awkward looking photo, but not that awkward looking, every photo shows an element of wastage in my opinion to a degree that if the horse was standing level would still be apparent.

Spring Feather

Visit site
This. I'm an equine photographer, trust me when I say they can make themselves look deformed very easily... Do his quarters look asymmetrical to you all the time, or do you think that was just a moment in time?

Photos of him stood square (from behind) would help a lot. If he won't stand square, that speaks for itself, really.
I totally agree with you that some photos taken of horses can make the horse look totally deformed. I'm not a professional photographer but I have enough horses that they are photographed a lot and some of the photos I've taken (speed frames) would for sure make the subject look scary!

OP if this is not an April Fools joke and it isn't just bad photography then perhaps a call into the vet would be prudent. If it is an AF joke, then you managed to fool plenty on here :smile3:

Mince Pie

Visit site
Alan's Mum, your views on this thread are crystal clear, therefore if you have nothing else to say then sod off.

OP I have no idea what is going on so I will echo the others and say "vet!".

Mike007

Visit site
I guess we all like a joke sometimes Alans mum ,andplease dont get me wrong ,I do appreciate your sense of humour,but possibly this is a pony that seriously needs some help and and owner who may be too inexperienced to understand . Not having a go, I did chuckle at your post ,but I think this is a horse with a serious problem and am sure you are a horse lover too.