What Is Wrong With His Back End?

Alan's mum

Visit site
I guess we all like a joke sometimes Alans mum ,andplease dont get me wrong ,I do appreciate your sense of humour,but possibly this is a pony that seriously needs some help and and owner who may be too inexperienced to understand . Not having a go, I did chuckle at your post ,but I think this is a horse with a serious problem and am sure you are a horse lover too.

Thankyou Mike ....I just find it odd that the OP has only replied once , I have messaged OP and apologized and explained that I thought the thread was an April Fool and she hasn't responded to my apolgie

Mike007

Visit site
Ok I do understand but you have to reaalise that the whole horse ownership thing is so loaded with emotion that even the most casual remark at the wrong time can cause a panic. And I am no exception. Have been around horses for 50 years ,yet when it comes to my own horse ,I turn into a quivering wreck. My first introduction to this was age 16 with my new horse comming off the lorry ,and the yard owner said "theres a bit of blood" meening that this was a horse of quality. I of course completely paniced that my new horse was hurt!

coralwings20

Visit site
This might just be a bad photo - will take more later - he is not lame & i will show a photo of a peachy bum two weeks ago hence the pole work to see if it would help. he has only ever been hacked the last few years & no problems. he had his back checked & no problems. will give a vet a ring today :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This. I'm an equine photographer, trust me when I say they can make themselves look deformed very easily... Do his quarters look asymmetrical to you all the time, or do you think that was just a moment in time?

Photos of him stood square (from behind) would help a lot. If he won't stand square, that speaks for itself, really.

I would say vet first, and if they can't find anything significant, go down the chiro or physio route - I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit ouchy from the increased workload. I would also cut out all of the hard feed, in case it is something like azoturia or ulcers.

I don't know why people are being sarky, have I missed something?

I'm not sure he is stood that extremely to look quite so wonky though. If mine stands with a leg like that he doesn't look like that, but certainly some squarer/older photos would be interesting to see OP.

If he isn't lame he perhaps has a historical injury which has only now been highlighted that he is doing more than hacking.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The video is too small for me to see properly, but he is swishing his tail a lot. Could he have had an accident in the field lately? The muscle wastage is very evident from the side as well as the rear shots. Can you get some more pictures of him standing straight? Is that hollow visible all the time? If so, as I have said before, you need to stop working him and get the vet. You say he is 'tucked up behind', 'struggles to maintain an outline' so there is definitely something wrong. That coupled by such severe muscle wastage would concern me greatly.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
OP is he moving now roughly the same as he was in that test or is it since then that he's finding it difficult to maintain an outline in trot?

Was he out at grass before you moved? or has his management changed totally?

Can you get some photos of him stood up level today?

Booboos

Visit site
For me the back end looks under developed in all the photos. I have a horse with severe muscle wastage in his hindquarters due to poisoning and he looks very similar. If you look at the front half he is a large horse with a deep shoulder, if you look at the back half he is a small horse without much of a bum. From behind as well as the weird muscle wastage on the right, the bottom is angular with no muscles either side. The video is very difficult to see but at times he seems to be snatching the right hind.

I think you need a vet asap, sorry.

shmoo

Visit site
I'm absolutely no expert at all, but I have had my TB mare recently diagnosed with massive back trauma. She didn't display lame at all. Passed the flexion tests with flying colours a horse much younger might have issue with. She has always had what I'd call a weak looking back end though, just don't be fooled or conned by not being lame or looking in obvious pain. Horses are brave forgiving animals and will try hard to please, especially if you're the one feeding them!

I'm guessing he looks so hollow in your first photo's as he isn't stood square? Your chap does look like he has a little roach back to me? My other has this and is has not once been an issue or stopped her having a full career in polo and now enjoying a leisurely retirement as a happy hacker.

For your peace of mind I would most definitely call the vet, a least then you will know for sure.

CBFan

Visit site
If he has lost THAT much muscle / weight in just two weeks, get the vet out. That is not right. My boy has been lame on and off for a while now (sometimes so subtle you can barely see it) and doesn't have that much muscle wastage. I would be running bloods and getting worm counts done (both blood and faecal) as a starting point but as others have said, he is swishing his tail quite a lot and looks 'tight' in his gait behind. Could be a bilateral problem, thus not presenting classically lame.

As an aside. It sounds like he is getting tonnes of feed for his apparent size (my 17.2hh lad gets a handful of bucket feed and add lib hay). Your lad doesn't appear to be lacking weight but HAS lost a lot of money, which doesn't make much sense for a sound horse with an increasing workload - he should be gaining muscle not loosing it. Especially with that amount of bucket feed.

As for rugging - do check you aren't over-rugging. My fully clipped lad is naked during the day and only lightly rugged at night now. He would be dripping in a mediumweight.

Can't echo the others enough. Get a vet out. He isn't right.

soulfull

Visit site
The fact you say he seems tucked up together with weight and muscle loss suggest some sort of EPSM.

I had a horse with it and he showed the same weight and muscle loss, although his was more symmetrical.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
In this Picture:

wilskin1.jpg

He is showing to be roach backed, could be something that doesn't normally cause an issue, but in my experience, roach backed invariably have ridden problems at some point. It could be however from pain and is causing him to hump.

The front feet however are what really, really concern me, the off fore looks like a horse that is suffering from chronic lami, which will in turn cause the issues you are causing. I personally would take off any grass, soak hay to within an inch of its life, stop all feed bar rinsed speedibeet and follow advise of the vet. That level of wastage is not possible in 2 weeks unless there is a serious issue.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
not sure as no good with photobucket only use facebook sorry!

those saying it seems like a lot of feed - I think it's fair to say that one large horse might well require a different amount to another so not really comparable as you need to look at the horse you have.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Really glad to see you are getting the vet out. I thought it might be helpful to show you some picture of muscle wastage that occurred in quite a short space of time in two different horses, so you know we're not all jumping on you for nothing.

First up, Rosie, a 10 yo 16.0hh KWPN mare. The second pic (not me riding) is taken about 6 weeks after the first. It was discovered that she had bilateral hind suspensory tears in the lower branches. Because it was bilateral lameness, her only real presentation was struggling to work correctly on 10m circles. But you can see the muscle drop off on her rump is quite prominent, despite little change in work and increasing her food (it was end October time).

attachment.php
attachment.php

Then we have Spooks, a 7 yo OTTB. First pic - I'd had him 2 weeks and he'd been in work from the field (6 months off due to owner's pregnancy) for four weeks. This was July time. The second, third and fourth show progressive wastage from about two months on. I had gradually increased the work but we were not yet doing more than 45 mins in the school, or an hour's gentle hacking. Why? Because he tried to kill me regularly and he became more and more reluctant to work into any contact at all. I was tearing my hair out at the diminishing topline and dropping away of his quarters. He was pts due to dangerous behaviour. PM revealed he had shredded sacroiliac ligaments and a poorly healed fracture of the ilial shaft.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good luck with your boy. I'll be thinking of you. Really hoping it's something simply remedied.