What Is Wrong With His Back End?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
That's more what I was expecting to see :)

So, how is he moving since the video you posted - same? worse?

And how has his management changed since you moved him?

coralwings20

Visit site
He was stabled at night before I got him but he is presently living out 24/7. This bottom problem occurred after he was fully clipped. I have only just increased his feed/hay to see if this also helps. I am going to change farrier as a few people have commented on how poorly he has been shod - anyone know a good farrier in the Newark (Notts) area?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
In this Picture:

He is showing to be roach backed, could be something that doesn't normally cause an issue, but in my experience, roach backed invariably have ridden problems at some point. It could be however from pain and is causing him to hump.

The front feet however are what really, really concern me.

I only see a notch between the sacral and lumbar vertebrae, like you often see on starved horses, but disappears with correct feeding and muscling. Once fully recovered their backs look normal again.

His hooves are not good and a new farrier is certainly needed if that's how his hooves normally look. I certainly can't diagnose laminitis from that photo.

ETA - just seen your new post. Good luck with finding a new farrier. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
He was stabled at night before I got him but he is presently living out 24/7. This bottom problem occurred after he was fully clipped. I have only just increased his feed/hay to see if this also helps. I am going to change farrier as a few people have commented on how poorly he has been shod - anyone know a good farrier in the Newark (Notts) area?

Don't go changing a great load of things just yet .
Wait for the vet to see the horse in the flesh .
I do think based on how you say the horse is behaving a vet visit is the way forward .
Going round in circles on here won't help the opinion of a professional on the ground will.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Looks lots better now he's standing straight. :) But there is some asymmetry and wastage with the right side less developed. I agree with others regarding his feet. They are terribly long and he could well have had some low grade laminitis, especially as he was previously very overweight. Good luck in getting to the bottom of it OP. Please keep us posted.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Has anybody else noticed that his "jumpers bump" is uneven?? My chiro says thats a sure sign that there's pelvic issues. Re the video, you say first it was taken two weeks ago, then tahat the same video was taken six months ago.WHAT THE.........!!

coralwings20

Visit site
You can double check when the video was taken - just check Elms farm website - horse is called Grey Justice :) The week before he was at Trent Valley - I am thinking I am not fuelling the work he is in!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Yup, I think I'd look carefully at his feed also he's always been bigger at the front than the back, have a think about his work - is it just that he's not actually working from behind, rather than that he CAN'T work from behind. I think you need an experienced eye on the ground.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He's still not standing square behind (right hind trailing) so although he looks a lot more even in the latest pics, IMHO it's not really possible to tell from them whether there is muscle wastage/asymmetry or not.

Glad that you are getting the vet out, OP. It's time for an expert to see him in the flesh. Good luck with him.

debsflo

Visit site
Sorry, but there is something serious going on with his right quarters. That is some mega muscle wastage. Also, the way he is standing is very very suspect. Get the vet out and do not work him. That kind of muscle wastage indicates a fracture or major trauma going on.
i thought major muscle wastage too. needs investigating..

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I haven't got much to add except to say that to all those saying the horse is getting a lot of food - he really isn't unless I'm reading it wrong. 2 scoops of Speedibeet and 3 of Happy Hoof I think was what the OP said and its split between several meals. If the Speedibeet is 2 scoops when wet that's not a lot. Speedibeet is relatively low energy. Happy Hoof is marketed as chaff suitable for laminitics. Plenty of horses struggle to live out 24/7 with a full clip, due to weightloss. I'm not saying there's nothing else wrong, just that feed/turnout may be an issue.

Last edited:

coralwings20

Visit site
any other feed fizzes him up! I have been doing some investigation today & have found out that he was bought & sold via Imperial horses a few years ago so I can only presume there must be something wrong with him previously!

stormox

Visit site
You need to post a picture taken from exactly behind, with him standing square behind and the weight evenly distributed over both hind legs, not one foot sticking out like in your current pictures. It difficult to tell anything unless he's standing square.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
OP is on line but not one reply to comments

Opsie they been banned all greyed out.

OP do a process of elimination - don't change too much or you wont know what works and what does not. He has lost so much muscle on his quarters and across is sacrum, it could be down lower. One horsier I knew compensated a lot with one leg, lost loads muscle on the other and it turned out to be pain in the hock area on his wasted leg.

Def ask you vet to do a full health check and ask if its OK to get a chiro to him. The way he stands shows he is not comfortable somewhere and I would do it sooner than later and not ride or school him till you get results.
Muscle wastage as we all know comes from muscles not being used for a good few months, I am guessing problem of pain is somewhere other than his top line.
Nice looking horse though be nice to see update pictures when he is all sorted out:)

Last edited:

coralwings20

Visit site
will do - speedibeet/happy hoof isn't going to put weight on him so unsure what to feed that will gain weight without the fizziness!

Greylegs

Visit site
Not read right back through the thread, but has this muscle problem changed sides? OP have you flipped the pics somehow? Sorry if I've missed something....

LinzyD

Visit site
Please let us know, out of interest, what the vet says. I have seen this sort of muscle wastage and asymetry before and the horse was still in full work, including jumping, and had a fractured pelvis. (ETS NOT a horse of mine!)

Feet - yes as others have said.

Feeding - All horses are different in the same way that person A never stops eating and is stick thin and person B only has to look at a Mars bar to put on half a stone , so I don't think you can go by what anyone says on here. I have a 17.2h Hunter who looks in fabulous condition on half a scoop of Happy Hoof + ad lib forage, and a pony who needs up to 4 big feeds a day to keep him up to weight if he's in full work.

Get the veterinary investigation and re-shoeing done first, then tackle the feeding in proportion to the work and his individual needs when you know that he is fully healthy and his feet are as they should be.

Please keep us updated. It's intriguing.

Pigeon

Visit site
So he's only started standing like that since he's been fully clipped? Could he just be cold? He looks tucked up and that can be any number of things, cold included. Or sore feet, arthritis, ulcers, and so on and so on.

I agree with getting a vet out, just for peace of mind. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I would want a full lameness work up though, perhaps even x rays. Maybe it's an old injury that's healed but the compensation has caused asymmetry? I'm sure you've said already but I can't find it, how old is he? Maybe it's time to start thinking about joint supplements. I don't think it's a lot of food either, but certain things can cause sensitivities, so I'd be tempted to try him on ad lib hay (not haylage) and just chaff and oil until you've got some answers.

His hind end conformation isn't great, you just need to figure out if it's like that for a reason, or just 'him'. If vet gives you the all clear I would be looking at doing some physio and careful conditioning with him :) Lots of hacking powering through in walk, hills, in hand work over raised poles and so on.

Last edited:

coralwings20

Visit site
& have changed vet to next Wedns as Rase do a free call out saving me £65.00 :) so will update then :) found another farrier to sort his feet out but need to wait 3 weeks as money Is tight as only just had them done. BTW, no I didn't have him vetted & he is aged 11. He has high mileage as evented as a 4 year old followed by BSJA then hunting. His last home was an amazing one as all he did was hack/do a few pleasure rides for a year. The person she bought him from bought him from Imperial horses so either px or a market jobby due to an old injury. Wedns cannot come soon enough for me!!

julie111

Visit site
Yes I can see a difference it doesn't look as bad but the muscle wasteage is showing on the other side in your latest picture.

coralwings20

Visit site
would anyone be doing any light work with him ie gentle walking? I am away this weekend so he will be chilling in the field scoffing his face :)