What should i do, im gutted.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am so sorry Asha.

I would contact both the police and dog warden, the more people that have a record of this event the better, even if just to safeguard you in the future. I would also look for written correspondence re: the incidents years ago if you have any. You could also mention to neighbours that you have flagged this with the police under the dangerous dogs act, which should something else happen could very likely result in the destruction of the dog; it may incentivise them to keep the bloody thing on a lead. I know this is an unpalateable thing to say but if you have, or can take photos of your cat to back up your report this would not be a bad idea. Then it is less your word against theirs.

Echo the above proclamation that you have a shotgun and are legally allowed to use it (horses are livestock, no?)

nagblagger

Visit site
I am so sorry, what an awful thing to happen.
Try and talk to the neighbours as suggested above, again raise your concerns and see what their reaction/solution is, log the incident with the dog warden/police so they can monitor, enforce any muzzling etc in public..
I am not defending them in the slightest but they did have the decency to come and tell you, they could have not bothered so you would left wondering what had happened to poor Ronnie.

bonny

Visit site
I think it depends on what your relationship is like with your neighbours and how guilty they are feeling. Sadly no amount of remorse will bring back your cat but I would want to know what steps they are taking to stop their dog from roaming again.
the police won’t do anything as things stand.

Asha

Visit site
I’ve spoken to the police and they don’t consider this a police matter. Apparently it’s just a cat . If it was livestock/ foals then they would do something.
We’ve spoken to the farmer who owns the land and apparently the dog has caused other issues too . It worried another neighbours sheep !! That neighbour has threatened to shoot it if he goes on their land again .
We’ve offered to buy the land so we can stope them walking there dog there . Farmer doesn’t want to sell yet but will have a word with them
I will try the dog warden tomorrow. I’m not letting this go.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'm so sorry Asha. I'm heartbroken for you.

It sounds like a dangerously out of control dog to me and I'm shocked that the police aren't going to take action, even if that is only to make the neighbours aware that they need to muzzle the dog and keep it on a lead.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Couldn't you still stop them walking their dog there as you rent it?
If it has already chased sheep definitely needs a visit from dog warden as they obviously have not kept it under control, or heeded the farmers warning.
Dog warden told us that sheep worrying falls under the remit of the police. However she was able have a word, as the dog was also being walked off lead on public roads, which is against local bye-laws.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m so incredibly sorry that happened. So distressing. I’m not sure how I’d go forward in a ‘relationship’ with those people.
How were they when they told you? Gutted and distressed I would hope. I definitely think they need to fence their land adequately.

oldandgold

Visit site
So so sorry Asha, I would be reporting to police and dog warden.

I thought electric collars are illegal (happy to be put right if that's wrong)

SO1

Visit site
I am sorry for your loss.

You have the foals plus two other cats. I would be going back to the neighbours and saying if the electric collar failed then it cannot be relied on and what are they going to do instead to prevent their dog from killing or attacking your other animals. You could perhaps say you are worried the dog might attack you or children who might be on the land.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
So very sorry Asha.
I'd definitely want a sit down conversation with the owners about how they're going to 100% insure the dog never gets on your land again (like keeping it on a lead!). I'd also be looking at your own fencing, not because you should need to but they sound like idiots and it will be worth it for your sanity.
I suppose it depends on your relationship with your neighbours and how confident you are they'll take this seriously and act on it.
A nightmare come true though, thinking of you x

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am so sorry such a terrible thing to happen. I think somehow they need to make any fence line between the dog and your land Alcatraz proof. But the fact this is just one of several incidents regarding this dog maybe it is time a more serious and permanent solution is used by the owners, sad though that might be for them.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m so sorry to hear that, Asha. How awfully traumatic for you all.

I might push the issue back at the neighbour, and ask them what they propose to do about the dog, since the situation is untenable and you would prefer to give them a chance to come up with some constructive solutions before you are forced to escalate the issue.

They don’t need to know that the police aren’t interested, nor do they need to know what the escalation would be. Just that they need to provide an answer before you do.

babymare

Visit site
I am so sorry that this has happened. Absolutely heartbreaking. I would contact the police again stressing the dog has worried sheep previously. Such dog owners give all a bad name and the arrogance of walking of lead when knowing there has been previous issues is disgusting and they have little regard to others 😡😡

Asha

Visit site
Couldn't you still stop them walking their dog there as you rent it?
If it has already chased sheep definitely needs a visit from dog warden as they obviously have not kept it under control, or heeded the farmers warning.
We don’t rent the land sadly . I’m hoping the farmer changes his mind and sells us the land

Asha

Visit site
I’ve spoken to the council . We don’t have a dog warden , just community wardens . They again say they don’t have manpower for this due to cuts . They have said it’s a police matter. But advised that every regional force has different take on this law . So urged me to get an incident logged with the police ( we now have an incident number with the council )
If it happened on public land it would be different, on private land it becomes a grey area .
Im just popping around to speak to the neighbours

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Did they use the term 'lever'?

I'm not getting into a debate on the rights or wrongs of electric collars, but I'm struggling to think of any modern collar that has that sort of apparatus, it's normally just a remote with a button or two. Level would normally be controlled by a dial. It's not a joystick or a throw switch.

I'm suggesting that rather than have any mitigation at all (right or wrong), that they lying to you and just had the dog off the lead.

Asha

Visit site
Did they use the term 'lever'?

I'm not getting into a debate on the rights or wrongs of electric collars, but I'm struggling to think of any modern collar that has that sort of apparatus, it's normally just a remote with a button or two. Level would normally be controlled by a dial. It's not a joystick or a throw switch.

I'm suggesting that rather than have any mitigation at all (right or wrong), that they lying to you and just had the dog off the lead.

Yes, she definitely said lever and even did a demo showing her hands move like you change a gear stick . I wouldn’t have a clue what they are like .
But , I think you are right as I’ve just called around to see them. No answer I’m afraid . But I did notice hanging in the window by the door a collar with electric signs on it and a remote control hanging next to it . It had little bulb lights on it, that were colour coded .
Perhaps she did use it and the dog was in full on attack mode and ignored it .

I’ve also been through our CCTV and can see them in the neighbours field they go towards the part of the field where it happened and disappear for a while then take the dog home . This would have been around 1.45 - 2pm . Which makes sense as they came around at 4.15 ish and when I picked Ronnie up he was frozen . So they clearly thought about it before coming around and telling us .

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Yes, she definitely said lever and even did a demo showing her hands move like you change a gear stick . I wouldn’t have a clue what they are like .
But , I think you are right as I’ve just called around to see them. No answer I’m afraid . But I did notice hanging in the window by the door a collar with electric signs on it and a remote control hanging next to it . It had little bulb lights on it, that were colour coded .
Perhaps she did use it and the dog was in full on attack mode and ignored it .

I’ve also been through our CCTV and can see them in the neighbours field they go towards the part of the field where it happened and disappear for a while then take the dog home . This would have been around 1.45 - 2pm . Which makes sense as they came around at 4.15 ish and when I picked Ronnie up he was frozen . So they clearly thought about it before coming around and telling us .
It makes me wonder if they thought that someone may have seen the dog chasing and decided that they'd better let you know before someone else did.