What would I realistically need to pay?

daydreamer

Visit site
I have a 6 y o Morgan. I’ve had him since he was 6 months and except for 4 weeks with a pro have done it all myself. I’ve never had a youngster before and he has been very forgiving. He is a real character, loves people, very intelligent, sensitive yet sensible. So if you are definitely looking to get a new one I say get the Morgan!

Michen

Visit site
I have a 6 y o Morgan. I’ve had him since he was 6 months and except for 4 weeks with a pro have done it all myself. I’ve never had a youngster before and he has been very forgiving. He is a real character, loves people, very intelligent, sensitive yet sensible. So if you are definitely looking to get a new one I say get the Morgan!

Great to know! Are you in the USA?

Michen

Visit site
Oo, Morgans are lovely, and that one looks very nice. They are fairly well known for being naturally quite sensible-headed, so I think the liklihood of a Boggle youngster phase repeat is fairly low.

I guess it’s whether Boggle was truly as bad as I remember or whether I just wasn’t experienced and skilled enough to know what to do with him.

I’d like to think he’s trained me well and maybe I’d do better next time round, I definitely did with Bear (albeit made mistakes very early on but recognized and rectified quickly)

Equi

Visit site
You’ll never know if you don’t trrrry 😙

That being said, I do think you need to solidify your plans for bogs winter if you really can’t stay where you are before you take another in.

SO1

Visit site
I totally agree. There is no guarantee that a new horse would not come with health issues however hard you try even if young there is a risk of things going wrong.

I think a break of 6 months to have freedom from worry is good advice.

I had a year between loosing Homey and getting Bert and I am glad I did. Partly to see if I wanted another horse and also it really helped to save some money. It also meant I had time to not feel anxious or worry and allow myself to grieve.

I’m at a loss to understand why you’d put yourself through the stress of a new horse after the year you’ve had, without at least giving yourself another horse free six months - to travel, de-stress, relax, enjoy no big decisions of commitments before moving forward to potentially get another one.

daydreamer

Visit site
Great to know! Are you in the USA?
No, the UK. I rode a Morgan on a riding holiday in the USA and liked him so much I decided to get one! My older horse was nearing retirement and I don’t like cobs, didn’t fancy a Connie, am too much of a wimp for a TB and there wasn’t much else available at the time. Adult Morgan’s don’t come up for sale often here so I decided to go to the Hamar stud “just to look”. When the foals were about 2 months old. 🤦‍♀️ To be fair I walked away without one and only bought mine when I saw the advert for my favourite one months later 😂 It’s been a great experience. Someone who knows what they’re doing would make much faster progress! I did all the initial ground work, long reining and the first few sit ons without any real drama just by following Jason Webb’s program. He then went to Jason for 4 weeks who reported he was a “fun horse”! I try and encourage the calm sensible side of him more since I’m not an adrenaline loving pro!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I guess it’s whether Boggle was truly as bad as I remember or whether I just wasn’t experienced and skilled enough to know what to do with him.

I’d like to think he’s trained me well and maybe I’d do better next time round, I definitely did with Bear (albeit made mistakes very early on but recognized and rectified quickly)

He was as bad as you remember! Most youngsters wont be like that.

Michen

Visit site
Wellllll I haven't received any of the videos yet, though think the seller has been busy at a show. I am a little disappointed lol! Therefore haven't messed around with my flights home to go via Canada.

I also showed the horse to my extremely decorated friend/ex neighbour/ex dressage trainer and she rather liked him, though we had drunk multiple bottles of wine, so maybe I should show her again in the cold light of day.

But if the videos or whatnot don't come through then it'll be much easier to not pursue a horse and be sensible so that's fine too :D

Equi

Visit site
I generally don't believe in fate, but there's something about horses that seems to mean they find you when either you need them or they need you. So leaving it in the lap of the gods is usually the best way.
100% it’s always how I’ve worked and it’s only let me down once when I let my heart rule my head. Lesson learnt.

Caol Ila

Visit site
He was as bad as you remember! Most youngsters wont be like that.

If it helps, my youngster has been mostly quite pleasant, discounting some poor life choices she made about unprotected sex as a teenager and then (due to aforesaid poor life choices), going through the daftest foal proud phase in the world for about a month. We had a nice time for some months, then she spent about two months acting like a feral idiot after we weaned said foal (he gave no sh1ts).

However, once she accepted that being pregnant and barefoot wasn't the job I'd intended for her, she was quite willing to take on the job that was (carrying my sorry arse around). That all said, I think you'd find her too laid back if you like them buzzy.

But my point is, if you have more waffle than a Waffle House, then meet the youngster in person. I think you can tell what their basic personality is like, and if it's something you think will gel with yours. When I was in the herd of youngsters, broodmares, and the stallion, and the broodmares were indifferent, most of the youngsters were obnoxious and mouthy, but Hermosa was calm and sweet and keen for a cuddle.

Last edited:

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
How have I missed that you are buying a Morgan?!

I used to be involved with them years back, I have always promised myself that one day I will have one (May have left that a bit late now so might have to live vicariously through you getting one instead).

Michen

Visit site
I am totally not necessarily buying a morgan haha! I had kind of forgotten about them when I posted this thread. And as the thread progressed and I typed out my own eventing goals (or rather, lack of), I came to realise that maybe importing a proven eventer was in fact a bit of a waste of money for me to event a few times a year and mooch about on the trails.

Then the morgan thing resurfaced and I found a particularly nice one! But the seller is at a stay away show so no videos etc yet....and the more time goes by the more I talk myself out of it. Mainly because I really didn't want another horse this side of winter.

Michen

Visit site
Horsequest 345833 in case you want a Morgan and an import.

It’s crazy so many adverts make reference to “as Morgan’s are” or as they do or whatnot, like they have this super specific personality. Other than maybe a welsh I can’t think of anything that seems to attract such a precise personality

Michen

Visit site
Thank you. That’s very smart. I think my issue with Connie’s is that they often ride pony like however big (as they should, they are ponies!). Bear was bigger than bog but felt smaller. I just didn’t like how he felt. Same with others I sat on.

I don’t know if it’s because I prefer a more “long” horse or if it’s to do with the shape of the neck and that boggle had this huge arch in front of you that made you feel like you were sitting on a little sports horse, or what.

I think I’m going off the idea of spending money importing if a Morgan or something similar is going to give me that almost Connie X TB feel, which is what I had from Bog.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Weird we are in the same boat!!!

Yeh good points. I think I’m doubting my abilities re a youngster. I can’t do another Bog, I’m 8 years older and a whole lot more rusty and nervous.

But I did get a hot ex racer out solo hacking with absolutely no help so maybe I’m not totally incompetent. 🤷‍♀️ I really don’t think people sell horses like bog. Obviously I think he’s wonderful but those personalities are so rare and I think once you have them in your life, unless forced, you don’t sell. Or if you do it’s through word of mouth. I feel you kinda have to find them as youngsters before they are discovered.

Maybe that’s silly.

I have never been a particularly good rider, I hadn't sat in a saddle for 3yrs after being decked from my last one and getting a compression fracture in my spine and then losing that horse, and I have never backed a horse before or ridden a freshly backed one (other than being chucked on horses in to sell as a kid to see what it would do out hunting!)... I bought an unbacked rising 3yo unseen and ended up backing and riding him away myself when I had actually intended to send him off to be backed. I think sometimes a) you are more capable than you realise when you are willing to learn and take it slowly, and b) when you have gotten to know the horse at the level that we do you trust them much more than you would if someone chucked you a horse and said get on this one and go out. So I wouldn't write it off on this basis.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
No, the UK. I rode a Morgan on a riding holiday in the USA and liked him so much I decided to get one! My older horse was nearing retirement and I don’t like cobs, didn’t fancy a Connie, am too much of a wimp for a TB and there wasn’t much else available at the time. Adult Morgan’s don’t come up for sale often here so I decided to go to the Hamar stud “just to look”. When the foals were about 2 months old. 🤦‍♀️ To be fair I walked away without one and only bought mine when I saw the advert for my favourite one months later 😂 It’s been a great experience. Someone who knows what they’re doing would make much faster progress! I did all the initial ground work, long reining and the first few sit ons without any real drama just by following Jason Webb’s program. He then went to Jason for 4 weeks who reported he was a “fun horse”! I try and encourage the calm sensible side of him more since I’m not an adrenaline loving pro!

Just out of curiosity when approx was he at Jasons? I think I may have seen him on a few visits when a friend was having her coblet backed by him