What would I realistically need to pay?

Michen

Visit site
I really love this and it would, daftly, be the thing that would make me want to see him in person!

Haha those things always matter to me too.

I do not need a horse right now. I haven’t even decided if bog and I are going to California, I can’t take two it’s crazy.

I’d be more gung ho about this horse if I was more certain about putting bog to sleep.

palo1

Visit site
Haha those things always matter to me too.

I do not need a horse right now. I haven’t even decided if bog and I are going to California, I can’t take two it’s crazy.

I’d be more gung ho about this horse if I was more certain about putting bog to sleep.
Of course. Sometimes the Universe teases us, sometimes offers a gift - it's often impossible to know which is which...I am glad though that a horse has caught your eye and imagination; whatever happens, you are still in the game! 😎😎

Cloball

Visit site
I love how the thought process has gone from, what kind of proven nice irish type eventer I could buy to how about a 4 year old just broken american horse in canada.
Very hho 🤪

A Morgan fits the American adventure, plus I do wonder if you buy an older 'made' eventer you'd be comparing that feeling going into a fence to Bog and he is pretty unique, you might not get that confidence 🤷

Trouper

Visit site
I'm normally in the camp of "Go get 'im Girl" - after all what's not to love about a potential pirate of the Carribbean;) However, with my sensible Auntie Trouper hat on, I do wonder whether this is the time you can really make the right decision about any horse put in front of you.

You are so close to deciding what to do about Bog that I can't help but think that that is the decision which needs to be made first - if only for the sake of your sanity. I honestly think you would make a better decision about a new horse when you are content about Bog - and, put brutally, a new horse deserves that consideration too.

Sorry to sound bossy.

BBP

Visit site
I'm normally in the camp of "Go get 'im Girl" - after all what's not to love about a potential pirate of the Carribbean;) However, with my sensible Auntie Trouper hat on, I do wonder whether this is the time you can really make the right decision about any horse put in front of you.

You are so close to deciding what to do about Bog that I can't help but think that that is the decision which needs to be made first - if only for the sake of your sanity. I honestly think you would make a better decision about a new horse when you are content about Bog - and, put brutally, a new horse deserves that consideration too.

Sorry to sound bossy.
Whereas for me getting a new youngster helped me to stop hyper fixating on BBP, and instead have a better view of the wider picture. It also really helped my mental health to have another to turn to when I lost him. That being said, now the youngster is going wrong I’m feeling the urge to look for another to take the pressure off my youngsters situation.

Michen

Visit site

Sorry to sound bossy.

Not at all. Very valid post thank you. I sobbed my eyes out to my best friend last night about it. I’d be especially worried that if I got another, and decided to PTS Bog, that I’d feel guilty that I was doing it BECAUSE I had another. I don’t truly think that would ever be the case but I can imagine how a grief fueled mind would make me think that way.

My friend really thinks I should PTS. She gave me some things to think about from when she saw him in Colorado earlier this year that I hadn’t thought about.

Also if I did pts bog my plan was to skip off to California, another horse would make that very tricky. But running to Cali to try and escape bog pain is not necessarily the right thing either when my support network is here.

I’m awaiting more videos from seller and will see if they set me alight or not. I’ve been constantly looking at horses as my friends been looking but she ended up importing one from England last week. I haven’t seen any bar this one that I’ve considered for myself. Oh and the Connie X in the uk that was 25k and very smart.

Michen

Visit site
Whereas for me getting a new youngster helped me to stop hyper fixating on BBP, and instead have a better view of the wider picture. It also really helped my mental health to have another to turn to when I lost him. That being said, now the youngster is going wrong I’m feeling the urge to look for another to take the pressure off my youngsters situation.

So the solution is buying two more, right? 🤣

Ahrena

Visit site
I don’t think you would ever put Bog to sleep just because you had another horse.
I do think the routine of another horse to keep you going would help when the time came. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t had Pesto when I lost Lexi and I found getting Nutmeg quickly helped. It was never a replacement, just a distraction and a focus.

On the other hand, I think it would be worth working out if it’s financially viable to have 2 through the winter whether that’s in Cali or CO - so you don’t end up feeling you have to pts for financial reasons.

palo1

Visit site
So the solution is buying two more, right? 🤣
Would it/could it work, if you liked the Morgan, to purchase him but keep him where he is till the Spring? Might that be a possibility/worth considering/discussing with the seller, IF you really, really liked him? That way, you could logistically prioritise Boggle but you would also have done the tricky horse finding thing and potentially not have additional logistics to think about until things were easier or clearer for you.

Michen

Visit site
I mean I could take two to Cali but honestly discounting that for bog the more I sit on it.

Yes I could investigate leaving him where he is but ya know, new pony, want it with you! And he’s already four so kind of want to do a bit and have something useful for next summer.

It’s either really bad timing or really good timing lol. Not going to worry about it until I’ve seen proper videos and potentially met the horse in person.

Arguably if I got the horse now and bog liked it, and I wanted to keep bog going maybe it would make me more relaxed about Colorado options if he had a solid friend to go with and finding a place with a suitable field mate was one less thing to worry about if they went together.

Back to buying boggle a pet it seems. Or justifying it as that!

nutjob

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position as you. What I have done is bought a recently backed 4yo and have not pts my not rideable, retired at age 4 wobbler. So if I was actually you, then this is what I would do. As you know, horses with neurological problems almost always get worse, either gradually or suddenly and you can't predict when you will get to a point when enough is enough. Having another horse won't affect this and it won't influence your decision.

If you can find something suitable that doesn't need a £15k air fare then you have plenty of money in hand to pay for professional training and lessons.

Buying a horse in the UK has been a horrible experience, I don't recommend it at all.

Michen

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position as you. What I have done is bought a recently backed 4yo and have not pts my not rideable, retired at age 4 wobbler. So if I was actually you, then this is what I would do. As you know, horses with neurological problems almost always get worse, either gradually or suddenly and you can't predict when you will get to a point when enough is enough. Having another horse won't affect this and it won't influence your decision.

If you can find something suitable that doesn't need a £15k air fare then you have plenty of money in hand to pay for professional training and lessons.

Buying a horse in the UK has been a horrible experience, I don't recommend it at all.

Weird we are in the same boat!!!

Yeh good points. I think I’m doubting my abilities re a youngster. I can’t do another Bog, I’m 8 years older and a whole lot more rusty and nervous.

But I did get a hot ex racer out solo hacking with absolutely no help so maybe I’m not totally incompetent. 🤷‍♀️ I really don’t think people sell horses like bog. Obviously I think he’s wonderful but those personalities are so rare and I think once you have them in your life, unless forced, you don’t sell. Or if you do it’s through word of mouth. I feel you kinda have to find them as youngsters before they are discovered.

Maybe that’s silly.

nutjob

Visit site
I think I’m doubting my abilities re a youngster. I can’t do another Bog, I’m 8 years older and a whole lot more rusty and nervous.
I get it, I had 3 crashing falls from my other horse, obviously before he was diagnosed, and it was nerve racking getting on unknown just backed horses let alone bringing one home with me. There's no way I would be doing it on my own, a trainer comes every week and I'll be going to clinics soon when I'm confident that loading and travelling will be OK. I assume you would use a competition type barn where you would have access to a trainer who would also ride the horse if necessary. This might not be the horse for you, it took me 6 months to find the right one, but it's hard to solidify what you are really looking for until you start trying out different horses.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Weird we are in the same boat!!!

Yeh good points. I think I’m doubting my abilities re a youngster. I can’t do another Bog, I’m 8 years older and a whole lot more rusty and nervous.

But I did get a hot ex racer out solo hacking with absolutely no help so maybe I’m not totally incompetent. 🤷‍♀️ I really don’t think people sell horses like bog. Obviously I think he’s wonderful but those personalities are so rare and I think once you have them in your life, unless forced, you don’t sell. Or if you do it’s through word of mouth. I feel you kinda have to find them as youngsters before they are discovered.

Maybe that’s silly.

Remember how many times you nearly sold him? Lots of people would have followed through with that, so I think they do get sold. Hes perfect for you now but he wouldn't be for other people. But I'd also want to get that sort of personality as youngster, so I could make sure it wasn't crushed or allowed to get away with murder.

Cloball

Visit site
I thought you were very brave taking on Dusty and you did so right by him. My friends youngster is so laid back and 100x easier than my nutty 9yo 🤪
With a native (to the Americas) would there be less worry and stress about taking a horse into a new country with the stress and vaccinations and different diseases? I do keep seeing nice bay Arabs in the US but very far from you 😅

Michen

Visit site
Remember how many times you nearly sold him? Lots of people would have followed through with that, so I think they do get sold. Hes perfect for you now but he wouldn't be for other people. But I'd also want to get that sort of personality as youngster, so I could make sure it wasn't crushed or allowed to get away with murder.

I know but that’s kind of the point- I didn’t go through with it because despite being such a little arsehole he had this massive personality and I couldn’t sell him. That’s kinda what I mean, he was worth persevering with just for that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Meh, I didn't ride for nearly 2 years and then backed a 3 year old. We lived. Would not recommend that approach, probably 🤣

Some youngsters are also easier than others, and you could probably handle an already backed 4 year old. On top of that, you seem to have access to more trainers/helpers that I did/do. So it's really not the worst idea.

Ifmpw

Visit site
Their is a nice 15.1 4 year old connie currently for sale £8,000 in Ireland - I am not looking but looking if you know what I mean, but looks a fun little horse. nice photo of him doing x country

Ahrena

Visit site
You absolutely can. If I can with Nutmeg, you absolutely can. My confidence has been in tatters.
I won’t lie, it’s been really hard at times and she’s been up for sale several times 🤣 but it’s so satisfying.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’m at a loss to understand why you’d put yourself through the stress of a new horse after the year you’ve had, without at least giving yourself another horse free six months - to travel, de-stress, relax, enjoy no big decisions of commitments before moving forward to potentially get another one.

Michen

Visit site
I’m at a loss to understand why you’d put yourself through the stress of a new horse after the year you’ve had, without at least giving yourself another horse free six months - to travel, de-stress, relax, enjoy no big decisions of commitments before moving forward to potentially get another one.

Because… horses are a disease.

And I really wasn’t MEANT to properly be looking at all, I was looking for my friend and then curious at Morgans and then this one popped up.🙈🙈

I guess to me I feel like being without a horse may be more stressful than being with one!

Either way this horse is not by any means defo a goer.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oo, Morgans are lovely, and that one looks very nice. They are fairly well known for being naturally quite sensible-headed, so I think the liklihood of a Boggle youngster phase repeat is fairly low.

Michen

Visit site
Btw amymay I totally agree with you and what you said was exactly my plan (although I already travel plenty despite the horses), and is precisely what I needed you all to say to me so thank you for the voice of reason!

ETA that makes me seem dismissive of all of you who have encouraged the buy the horse anyway POV. So I’ve royally messed this up and probably offended everyone!

In short, I value it all 🙈

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Btw amymay I totally agree with you and what you said was exactly my plan (although I already travel plenty despite the horses), and is precisely what I needed you all to say to me so thank you for the voice of reason!
I’ve hesitated to post it. But we’ve all worried about you so much this past year, I just felt I had to in the end xx