Where has everyone gone?

Doormouse

Visit site
Hopefully not a started, farted, slipped up and fell report !!

Love that one, haven't heard it for years. The story I was told was that a trainer called Sid Farrell was asked by his owner to send a short report of how his horse had run. The trainer did this by fax and his message read "SF SF SF SF"
When the owner (somewhat confused) rang to ask what it meant he was told "started, farted, slipped and fell, see you Friday, Sid Farrell"

KautoStar1

Visit site
The forum was my only company for most of 2013 when I was so ill and there were lots of interesting topics, now there seems to be a lot of silly topics with no depth to them.

Off to Hoy's at the crack of sparrow fart with a hunter in the morning, will report back. Hopefully not a started, farted, slipped up and fell report !!

Agree totally about the lack of depth topics Bored with the what colour suits my pony questions. More depth in the club house & current affairs sections

Anyway AA what weight is your hunter in tomorrow & what's its name so I can look out for it. Best of luck with plaiting in the small hours. Always my favourite task. Not !!!

Lyle

Visit site
I've always been a bit of a lurker more than a poster (different time zones doesn't help :p) But I too have been disappointed when putting together a report (usually with lots of pictures) and getting lots of people viewing it, but only 1 or 2 replies. While I too am guilty of "reading and running" I will make a point of commenting on the ones that haven't had many comments. If the thread has gone 3 pages, I doubt they will miss my one congratulatory comment ;). It's disheartening to think people are opening the thread, reading it and being a bit 'oh boring', before closing it, hence why not commenting. I know I'm not setting the world on fire, but I know I love reading the 'grass roots' reports as much as the high level ones!

RobinHood

Visit site
I like reading reports but since the forum upgrade it won't keep me logged in on my phone or desktop and I'm too lazy to log in each time.

Geek

Visit site
I am another serial lurker who reads and runs, I will make more effort in the future to reply as it is a shame it has gone so quiet in here.

popsdosh

Visit site
Tend not to post much any more as the whole tone of the forum has changed and isn't what I like any more. Also "know" many of the oldies on Facebook now. I look in frequently, but few of the threads interest me these days so rarely comment or even open them. It's sad really.

When I started on here there were some serious discussions about important subjects with posters who bluntly knew what they were talking about! Now it has become so trivial and you dont learn anything. I have never been a great lover of report after report as the OPs get upset if you dont reply and I can never see the point in replying unless you have anything positive to say. The quality of post has dropped alarmingly over the last 18 months or so as this forum has been discovered by others who have made it trivial and uninspiring with questions that should be in other forums.
Im going to duck behind the wall now!!!

Reactions: TPO

Luci07

Visit site
I stopped posting about what I was doing with my horses when someone I knew in "real" life start commenting when we met, yet wouldn't tell me who she was online. Creeped me out as I felt it was extremely odd behaviour. Very strange woman.

I enjoy reading the posts and updates, and have learnt a lot from people in the club room. Some really interesting and heart wrenching non horsey posts in there.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I sold my horse (Missile) so had nothing to write about...am currently breaking in a youngster to drive (it's a two man job but unlike the first horse where I was the helper and J was doing the bulk of the work, this time I seem to be in control - all part of his master plan to train me up!).

Didn't think it would be that interesting as there's definitely no competing going on, just 8 weeks minimum of me doing A LOT of walking!

Foxford

Visit site
I don't think it's anything to do with change over to winter routines, as it's been quiet for a while. I rarely see a post title that interests me these days, I guess because a lot of the posters are newer and I haven't got to know them yet. Also, as another poster said - when you put yourself out on here, things can get a bit weird in real life. I think that's one of the reasons some of the old timers don't post in here much anymore.

Twiglet

Visit site
Agree, it is sadly quiet in here :( I don't post because Buzz is (mostly) better so the cancer diaries are thankfully, hopefully, over, but not at a stage where we can compete again yet.
I do really enjoy reading comp reports though and try not to read and run.

Magister

Visit site
My twopenneth.
Sadly I think a lot of people (myself included) are spooked off by the threads that turn nasty. I have never been a prolific poster but these days I think twice about starting a thread or even replying in case there is a backlash and usually decide not to.
I think some of the regular posters from the last few years are 'once bitten,twice shy'. A huge shame as hearing about other people's experiences are so valuable.

Doormouse

Visit site
My twopenneth.
Sadly I think a lot of people (myself included) are spooked off by the threads that turn nasty. I have never been a prolific poster but these days I think twice about starting a thread or even replying in case there is a backlash and usually decide not to.
I think some of the regular posters from the last few years are 'once bitten,twice shy'. A huge shame as hearing about other people's experiences are so valuable.

I would agree, there seemed to be a time earlier this year when there were a few posters who jumped on everything people said and to be honest I think they scared some people away and just annoyed others who gave up posting.

Real shame because there were some very interesting and knowledgeable people on here.

kc100

Visit site
It has gone quiet I agree - I used to always come here and never the Tack Room (scary place that is!) because it always had a better 'quality' of posts and the people here seem to be kinder, friendlier and more knowledgeable rather than the TR where it can be quite angry and scary!

I do know a lot of people have injured ponies at the moment, and with winter on its way the season has come to an end, but even still there are a distinct lack of interesting posts recently.....I might scuttle off now to think of something interesting to post about (I have a bonkers horse that I ride for a friend, he is definitely 'interesting'....)

Lexi_

Visit site
Seems like a process that's happened over quite a while to me - such is the way with forums, people disappear over time.

I'm sure the forum log-in problems haven't helped but of the list of names mentioned in a post earlier on in the thread as being regular posters that are missed, I think I only recognised one. I know I've only been registered on here for a year and a bit but I was lurking quite a lot before that. Was this super busy time on the forum quite a bit before then?

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I've been wanting to post all year, I've been doing loads with my boy, from hunting to Arena Eventing to BD Petplans. BUT way of getting photos on here has got so complicated since the forum changed that I just can't be bothered. I don't particularly think anyone wants to hear about it anyway given the content of a lot of posts on here at the moment, I miss Kerilli but am friends with her and the Sparkle Sisters on FB so can keep up that way. I do come on and lurk, but have lost my forum mojo, I no longer participate in another forum I was on too, life is just so much of a rush.

khalswitz

Visit site
I have noticed a LOT more dressage reports and a lot fewer eventing reports... Is that part of what people mean by not liking the change in content? (Genuine question not stirring it).

I've noticed a lot of people now seen to keep to the Club House now rather than here... And I do think the privacy of that board has something to do with it!! A comp reports board that was private to registered members would maybe be a good idea? Alongside a like button ;)

measles

Visit site
Thank you to those who said they missed me!

I have been a member for almost 10 years (!) and the recent forum technical glitches deterred me somewhat from posting as I had real issues on my mobile.

My horse Facebook page is where I tend to update regularly (PM me if anyone wants to keep in touch there as I don't want to break forum rules) and we have had an exciting time recently as we are just back from competing at HOYS!

I will make an effort to post more as like others I miss the old days.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Agree, I was thinking about posters I miss! My list: Baydale, Sarah Jane, Measles, KirstyHen, the showjumpers like Claire and others - Supanova? Rotters, Tabledancer, Princess Sparkle & NMT, Tarrsteps, Golden Match and Kerrilli, and tonnes of others, whose names will return to me as soon as I have posted this and then I will wish I'd listed them too.

Personally, I like writing posts and I'm lucky because nobody's ever been nasty to me (or perhaps they have, but I'm too dumb to notice; v likely).

I also like commenting on reports, but I often struggle to comment on technical threads. This is because I fear that there is a grey area betw voicing an opinion and dishing out advice, and I v much hesitate to do any dishing, because any advice I may have is definitely not worthy of being dished.

I think the eventers have gone over to Facebook groups and use those instead.

j1ffy

Visit site
Agree, I was thinking about posters I miss! My list: Baydale, Sarah Jane, Measles, KirstyHen, the showjumpers like Claire and others - Supanova? Rotters, Tabledancer, Princess Sparkle & NMT, Tarrsteps, Golden Match and Kerrilli, and tonnes of others, whose names will return to me as soon as I have posted this and then I will wish I'd listed them too

Ditto these, plus Baydale (though she hasn't been a regular poster for a couple of years I think) and Vicky with William, I can't remember her user name. HotToTrot - I love your posts so please don't disappear!

And a thank you to those who do post. Please continue as I, for one, often manage to read stuff on the tube etc. but can't always reply! A 'like' button would be ideal.

Teasel

Visit site
I confess to being another serial lurker and absolutely love reading people's reports - whether they are training reports, mini x-pole jumping reports, dressage reports, eventing reports, Trec, fence judging or endurance reports. I'll make an effort to comment from now on, my apologies for having kept quiet in the past!

wench

Visit site
There have previously been some very rude posters on here... If you don't agree with what they have to say they are really quite rude.

I've also seen posters sneer at someone when they are not having an easy time, then expect sympathy and tears a few weeks down the line when they were in a very similar scenario

tigers_eye

Visit site
I think many fled, some in greater degrees of haste than others, around 2 years ago. I left as it was impacting on my mental approach to competing too much, I would catch myself thinking "how will I write about this?" during my warm-ups etc! So now I write a blog on my website every so often, in much the same style as my reports used to be I think, although possibly not quite so heart-on-sleeve. Latest blog is here: http://www.madsen-equestrian.com/blog, and I also have an fb page for Madsen Equestrian.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I haven't posted for a long long time. Basically, lost Mickey in February this year. Husband gave me his show cob Shiney, and we've qualified for Olympia - Senior Showing Society. Shiney is 27 and still ridden. We also are SSDL National Prelim Dressge Champion, so what started a terrible year will hopefully end on a high.

I keep intouch with people of facebook now. x

EventingMum

Visit site
Agree, I was thinking about posters I miss! My list: Baydale, Sarah Jane, Measles, KirstyHen, the showjumpers like Claire and others - Supanova? Rotters, Tabledancer, Princess Sparkle & NMT, Tarrsteps, Golden Match and Kerrilli, and tonnes of others, whose names will return to me as soon as I have posted this and then I will wish I'd listed them too.

Ditto

Thank you to those who said they missed me!

I have been a member for almost 10 years (!) and the recent forum technical glitches deterred me somewhat from posting as I had real issues on my mobile.

My horse Facebook page is where I tend to update regularly (PM me if anyone wants to keep in touch there as I don't want to break forum rules) and we have had an exciting time recently as we are just back from competing at HOYS!

I will make an effort to post more as like others I miss the old days.

Report on HOYS please!!

I don't do facebook but may have to succumb at some point. I really miss a lot of the reports especially as I haven't been near an event this year due to my son being too busy; I've had to content myself with training riders for PC teams and RDA dressage.

Joss

Visit site
I have mainly stopped due to change in circumstances. I used to have time to think up reports, upload photos etc. 2 children later time is precious.

I am enormously grateful to this forum for introducing me to some great people a lot of whom I keep in regular contact with through FB. I get my fix of Eventing news, reports & chat through #twittereventing FB group.