Who goes horse shopping for a particular breed?!

alexomahony

Visit site
BOth my horses kinda found their way to me rather than me finding them - but I LOVE my Welshie's brain - he is SO trainable and sensitive, fiery and opinionated but very kind and loveable with it, he is my horse of a lifetime (which I never expected to say when I first met him as a unhandled, just gelded 13.2 3 year old who was terrified of anything that moved!)

My Connie (or part bred - we're not sure, but he isn't reg which means I go with PB) is also lovely, trusting and has SO much athleticism and ability but he is lazy and not as trainable as Maldwyn, he has to be tricked into learning things.

My ideal mix would be a mixture between the two, but slightly bigger! Maldwyn's shape, brain, enthusiasm for everything and colour, but with Sky's natural ability and athleticism and ideally 16.2/3. I imagine a Welsh x WB may potentially give me this so long as the lines were right!

J_sarahd

Visit site
When I decided to buy a pony, I really wanted a Connie purely for the fact that every one I’ve met is a good jumper and fairly sane and calm. When I actually started looking though, I found that Connies are very expensive (probably because everyone wants one). So I just stopped looking at breeds and started looking at potential/proven temperament etc. Now I’ve ended up with a British Spotted Pony - a breed I’d never actually heard of before and definitely wasn’t looking for!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
ycbm said:
This might sound strange, but an Arab might suit.
Think she’s a D with a high percentage of Arab blood - looks quite araby. She’s sharp and coupled with youth and me not having loads of time that’s needed to build her confidence she’s prone to exploding when something sets her off. My other d has much calmer temperament even when young
I would also suggest looking into an Arab, but maybe look at one with more Crabbet/Old English blood and less 'halter' breeding. My grey has a lot of Crabbet blood and she is the most sensible horse that I have ever met, yet she is forward thinking, very trainable and has such a lovely, personable temperament.

Bernster

Visit site
I’m more type and temperament than breed. Tend to prefer the sports horse type. Wanted an Irish horse for my most recent purchase and ended with a pure ID but more of an ISH/lighter ID in build, which suits me and I think he’s a smart looking fella but obv I’m biased!

Nasicus

Visit site
I usually gravitate towards native/chunky/cobby types, so whatever ticks the boxes within that spectrum really.
However, when my older mare goes on her way, I'll probably be looking for a Fjord. Won't be for a while yet, she's only 14 and in good health (but I'm not too sure she'll make old bones, Osteoarthritis), so plenty of time to save.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I brought one by breed and that was a clydesdale. He was everything I'd planned and hoped for.

If I ever looked again, I'd go for welsh D or connemara as they open up loads of showing options without plaiting, and can jump as well.

Or an ahkel teke. I've been in love with them for years, and the internet is not helping - I'm in a few sales groups and there are so many lovely fillies for sale at the moment. Should be good for endurance and jumping.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only looked at Arabs and I did get an Arab I already had one and wanted another, I did end up with a warmblood a few years back would definitely get another, but I mainly always look at Arabs

Tarragon

Visit site
I had ponies of all sorts as a child (started with a tinker of a grey Section A pony as we all did in the 1960s and ending up with a dartmoor x arab who I loved). In my 20s until late 30s I just rode whenever I could (exercising hunters and other people's horses). Late 30s I decided I was going to fulfill a dream and get my own. I really wanted a native pony (I don't know where that idea came from but it has always been there). I ended up buying my first Exmoor pony as it was big enough for me to ride but not too big and it was affordable (Highland ponies were too pricey) and my mother owned one as a child. What had tipped it for me was that I loved the fact you could still get ponies that were bred in wild (ish) herds free running on Exmoor and that it was such a rare breed. It was when someone said that there were more otters in the UK than Exmoor Ponies it really struck me how special this ancient pony breed was and I love it's distinctiveness.
I used to ride with a friend who ride a Trakehener horse which is just as rare but we would be stopped by someone saying "Is that an Exmoor Pony? I used to have one as a child ..."
Occasionally I look wistfully up to someone riding by on a smart hunter sort but in reality the Exmoor pony suits me and I think that I suit them.

abbijay

Visit site
I love how much clydesdale love there is on this thread!
I didn't buy mine by breed but I did go for a type - it had to be chunky and hairy. If I ever go horse shopping again I will no doubt gravitate straight back to the Clydesdales, consider the other heavy breeds and look at other chunky types but would I only consider another Clydesdale? No, there will only ever be one Alfie so even if I got another Clydesdale he will not be THIS amazing!

rara007

Visit site
I paid for the vetting of mine before working out his breeding! (Vetted before viewing) His paperwork is down as Oldenburg but smelt a rat with him being a LW 15.2... I was looking for a proven driving horse that’s not tuigpaard/gelderlander and ended up with him- an overgrown German riding pony bred to jump. Before that Cheeri (Welsh C) I saw advertised and made the space for him because he’s everyones secret childhood dream pony and it was a good use for my first pay cheque after 6 years a student. The one before that I was looking for anything sane, not a cob, under 16hh with a RC record, having been put off by the massive KWPN before him I chose on looks and movement! I had another Welsh C for a bit chosen to match Cheeri when I thought I might have time to drive pairs.

chaps89

Visit site
I don't like big chunky horses as a rule but there's the most amazing shire x hannoverian on DD at the moment (already sold) he was massive but a nice 15.2 version of him might have been rather nice I reckon.
I bought a Welsh d by mistake first time round. Swore I wouldn't have one again, shared one a few years later and as someone else has already said, it was like going home. So next time round I think I might just focus specifically on Welshes!
Current pony is a cob x, just a generic Heinz 57 coloured. I didn't buy her to keep but she's still here nearly 5 years later and is rather sweet.
When I bought her I didn't go looking for any particular breed, just something that could do the job I wanted.
I had a akhal-teke x on LWVTB who was awesome but I'd bitten off more than I could chew at the time so I didn't proceed to buy him

blitznbobs

Visit site
Often - I bought 4 welsh cobs on the run... I went shopping for a top notched traditional and bought exactly that (albeit totally psychotic!)
I went shopping for a warm blood and came home with a Holstein and went shopping for an Irish sports horse or draught and bought exactly that... so yes

I have also been given a Kwpn and 2 shetlands over the years...

dingle12

Visit site
Never looked for a specific breed until last August when I decided I was utterly sick of vet's bills for big horses. Decided a Dales would tick all the boxes so bought a 3yo. I'll never go back! She's friendly, bold, unflappable and soaks everything up. Has some of the best feet I've ever seen, and that's after many years of bf horses. She seems to enjoy jumping nettle patches for fun so I might even get back to a bit of xc with her eventually, which is something I never thought I'd say. It's all the fun of childhood again with a native!

I'd also happily buy another CB, although they are like hen's teeth these days and even a Dales is less difficult to find.
My friend breeds dales they are. Fab her prefix is castle hill x

Mule

Visit site
I've never looked specifically for a particular breed. I'm surrounded by ish's where I live so that's what I end up with. I do really like that type anyway. I like the athleticism and imo the draught blood is great for temperament.

I have a soft spot for Irish draughts and Arabs. For some reason there are no Arabs where I live. I used to ride one at a riding school as a child. He was the only arab I've seen in the flesh.

Last edited:

Greyhorse1

Visit site
I’m even more fussy. I would only buy a fell or dales and it must be black...currently have a fell.

Wouldn’t consider much else!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I always hanker after a full Arab after having my PBA, (ideally liver chestnut mare over 15hh).

However, when buying we've always gone with if the horse can fit the job we want it to do and is in budget then we don't really consider breed. Somehow (despite loving Arabs), we've ended up with two Friesian x Hackneys!

Though I always think the Hackney is like an English Arab lol, but one day I will get my snorty red head :cool:.

mums the groom

Visit site
Yes, I decided on Connies (first pony was a Connie cross many moons ago) did everything on her she was so very capable at everything. so in my old age decided this was the best for me to potter around on and my daughter to grow into.

wills_91

Visit site
I have had
Tb x id
Welsh x Highland
Tb x Connie

When my time comes again I will without shadow of a doubt be looking at either a native or native Cross. I am particularly fond of connies, dales and fells so it will probably be along those lines.

Surbie

Visit site
I absolutely adore my loaned cobby/drafty/Heinz57 beast and will buy him in a heartbeat if his owner ever agrees to sell him.

If I were horse shopping I would love to have a Fell if it could carry me, a Friesian or a Friesian x. The only things I know I definitely don't want are sweetitch (current horse has it) and a grey. :)

Fiona

Visit site
Me 😬 I wanted a Connie to do M&M workers (as Well as eventing) plus I've always liked them so the opportunity presented itself!

This is me exactly......

Plus I bought my son a Welsh sec A because she is gorgeous, but also because she could do M&M workers as well as 12hh plaited classes.

Fiona

Mule

Visit site
I actively went out looking for a Gypsy Cob the last time around and it was a very good decision on my part. I'd never been particularly bothered by breed before, but with my confidence in tatters and an OAP and a retiree to fund, common sense said I needed something sane, sensible, and low maintenance. Gypsy Cobs ticked all of those boxes and were within my budget, unlike some of the native breeds that would also have suited. Mary was the first one I viewed and she hasn't disappointed.
And you got 2 for 1;)

blodwyn1

Visit site
I had part bred arabs to start but my first section d mare hooked me on the Welsh and I have stuck with section d's since but have now bought a section c for my old age! Nearer to the ground!