Who Leaves Wet Rugs On When Horses Are In ??

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
What with this awful weather at the month, I am going to bring my boys in for the night, but was just pondering wether to leave their outdoor rugs on guessing they will dry better, or do I put their pj's on, decisions, decisions !!

Sarah1

Visit site
What with this awful weather at the month, I am going to bring my boys in for the night, but was just pondering wether to leave their outdoor rugs on guessing they will dry better, or do I put their pj's on, decisions, decisions !!

If the rugs are not wet on the inside I always think it's better to leave them on as they dry much better on a warm body than a cold rug rack!

L&M

Visit site
Defo leave on as will be a problem to dry otherwise (unless you have the luxury of a heated rug dryer!!!).

Mine do not have stable rugs for that reason.

Runner1

Visit site
I always leave wet rugs on unless they are wet underneath... No other way to dry them properly ready for the next day!

I actually don't own stable rugs as I leave turnouts on what ever the weather, much easier and if they are already warm why make them cold with different rugs?

I ride most days so they are always readjusted etc... :)

I have a couple of fleeces that's about it!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Depends how wet the horses are. If soaked, and cold I would never leave rugs on to dry. If just had a shower on them I would. I have spare rugs to swop them into for the next day. I agree that hanging them in the stable dries them nearly as well without the horse getting cold.

Vetwrap

Visit site
Mine keep their wet rugs on til they are dry. I don't really "do" stable rugs anymore either and would prefer to spend extra on a good turnout that will cover everything that the typical British weather throws at them.

Besides, when the weather is very cold, I feel guilty taking off a nice warm rug (albeit wet) and changing to a cold, dry rug.

Unless the rug has leaked - in which case, it comes off.

3Beasties

Visit site
I leave mine on for a few hours to dry and then change into heavier stable rugs when I do a late night check.

(I use a liner system so the base layer always stays on meaning I don't have to put a cold rug against the horses skin).

JoannaC

Visit site
Always leave on afterall if they were out 24/7 they would have same rug on and they dry so quickly. In the old days new zealand rugs weren't breathable hence why you swapped into stable rugs but nowadays it is just an unnecessary expense and waste of time imo

Archiepoo

Visit site
i have lots of rugs indoor and outdoor so always change mainly because one day its warm next its cold ! (its still raining tho) so put appropriate rugs on wimpy horse for the temperature:)

Umbongo

Visit site
So long as the rug is actually waterproof and the horse is dry underneath then I would always leave them on to dry. Rugs these days are breathable and I don't really use stable rugs anymore. Bit of a waste of money, I now invest in good turnouts and have the odd stable rug/fleece for when they are kept in and clean ready for a show!

Rugs dry very well on the horse rather than hanging it up, unless you have a heated rug room!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If bringing in at say dusk, and they came in with wet turnout rugs on - then my routine would be to give them their suppers and hay-nets, and then leave them for a couple of hours, or perhaps until I go down last thing (about 10'ish - I keep them at home so easy to do); then I'd normally "do" them both and then change them into dry fleeces if this time of year, or heavier stable rugs if they're clipped out and its colder.

Then would hang up the dry turnout rugs ready for the next morning. Simples :)

3BayGeldings

Visit site
It depends on which rug to be honest, mine are all in different weights throughout the year so there is usually a spare, so I can swap them for a clean dry one. But if I don't have a spare I wouldn't have any qualms in leaving the wet one on, as it definitely does dry them quicker.

Piglet

Visit site
I always change the rug, never leave them on at all even if he comes in during the day and has his outdoor rug on. It is probably habit stemming back from the days of the old style New Zealand rugs!! :D:D

muff747

Visit site
Me;)
He's toasty warm and dry underneath and stable rugs get cold and damp hanging on the rack in winter. I also haven't got a spare to put on if/when it hasn't dried by the morning hanging on the rack.
Best way to warm him up when he comes in is a big hay net and he's toasty warm and dry in the morning :)

Luci07

Visit site
I always change mine but mine are stabled at night. I do have access to a rug rail or rug room to dry them off. I do have spare dry rugs and a good selection of stable rugs. Just my choice! Just never liked leaving them in really wet rugs, even if dry underneath as they still seem to get heavy when saturated.

christine48

Visit site
At the yard where our horses are, the horses go out every single day and their NZ rugs stay on day and night. There are pros and cons to both arguments. I like to see horses tucked up in their stable rugs, however often when you go to put the NZrug back on in the morning it feels cold and clammy. If the rug is still waterproof I think it's easier to leave on.

Lucyad

Visit site
I do - rugs are waterproof (so dry underneath) and breathable.

I used to change him in and out of a stable rug, but outdoor rugs were difficult to dry and were damp when put back on sometimes - the damp seems to wick through much more without a warm horse inside (I suspect something to do with the differential temperature).

Shame, as I now have a load of stable rugs that I never ever use...

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
In order for rugs to dry,they need heat. They rob that heat from the horse.
The other problem I have with leaving rugs on is that if it is rubbing,even a little,the horse does not get a break from that. Ultimately this can cause damage to the nerves of the shoulder and back.
So,if you are going to leave the same rug on,do,as others have said, and fire up the boiler with plenty of forage.Also make sure you do have a change of rug to reduce the superficial nerve damage.