Who's got the dirtiest stable competition.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Post your pictures here if you have a disgustingly dirty horse. This is my current offering, not my horse but I have to muck him out. It doesn't take long, just shovel the whole lot out and replace with brand new clean bedding, only to be met with the same the very next day. Good job his owner and I love him to bits:

muckystable4_zpsb9775556.jpg

muckystable1_zps40e7ff5e.jpg

Currently trying to build up a deeper bed and see if that works better. He is not a box walker per se. He does all of it whilst waiting for me to mix the feeds in the morning.

Last edited:

BeingKate

Visit site
Currently trying to build up a deeper bed and see if that works better. He is not a box walker per se. He does all of it whilst waiting for me to mix the feeds in the morning.

Ours get excited while we mix feeds so I make them up the night before while I mix up dinners... could you do the same maybe? I leave them in a spare feed bin overnight so no mice can eat them!

Sprig

Visit site
Can you not just pull him out and tie him up somewhere while you are preparing feeds? It would drive me mad dealing with that every day. If he was mine he would be getting less bedding, not more.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
When my mare was new, her bed was so bad the whole lot had to be shovelled onto the muck heap each day too. Now she's a model horse, neat, untrampled poo and a couple of wee spots which take 30 seconds to lift out.
However, if I get delayed and she's turned out after all of the friends have gone out to play-it's pretty trashed. She has me trained, I'm rarely late now.:)

forelegs

Visit site
Mine is exactly like this - I have no idea how he does it!
You just take out everything and replace - not exactly cheap!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
From tomorrow my filly will be coming in during the day. She is disgusting. I didn't know how she did it for a while, and then I spent some time watching her. She repeatedly digs and rolls. Sometimes non stop for ten minutes or more. She's an itchy girl. In a way she is worse to muck out than the gelding whose stable I have pictured because her bed looks great, at least when it's quite new, but then you realise how much poo is dug deep into the bedding and tossed around, and thoroughly mixed in.

Scarlett

Visit site
I've got one that does this - we refer to it as the ***** apocalypse... he's now on part livery, I did warn the staff at the yard but they didn't believe me until they saw it for themselves.

PolarSkye

Visit site
KaliBed.jpg

This is what he did to a (clean) shavings bed after just one night . . . that's concrete under there . . . is it any wonder he had capped hocks? A deeper bed results in the entire bed being brown . . . uniformly brown. This is why he is on straw . . . and why his bed looks like this:

KaliBed2.jpg

And actually, his bed is now far deeper - the banks come up to that notch on the wall and the base is at least a foot deep now . . . that picture was taken a year ago when we hadn't long been there and I was still building his bed up.

P

Last edited:

Sheep

Visit site
Bf's mare is a messy tart, pees everywhere, poos everywhere (and a lot of it).
My boy is actually very tidy. He pees right in the middle, does one poo at the top left hand side at the back wall, and the rest of the poo goes over in a pile on the top right hand side at the corner beside the corner. That is exactly how his bed always is.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can you not just pull him out and tie him up somewhere while you are preparing feeds? It would drive me mad dealing with that every day. If he was mine he would be getting less bedding, not more.

He actually starts when he hears me getting up. The house is only 5 yards from his stable! I do run out before even getting dressed so still in my nightie and give them all haylage. This stops him for a little while but by the time I'm dressed and out, his bed is like this.

When my mare was new, her bed was so bad the whole lot had to be shovelled onto the muck heap each day too. Now she's a model horse, neat, untrampled poo and a couple of wee spots which take 30 seconds to lift out.
However, if I get delayed and she's turned out after all of the friends have gone out to play-it's pretty trashed. She has me trained, I'm rarely late now.:)

You are lucky she has become tidier. IME once messy, always messy.

Mine is exactly like this - I have no idea how he does it!
You just take out everything and replace - not exactly cheap!

You're not kidding. He uses four sacks of bedding a week. He COULD easily use seven, but that is all I can afford. Any extra his owner has to pay for if she wants it.

I've got one that does this - we refer to it as the ***** apocalypse... he's now on part livery, I did warn the staff at the yard but they didn't believe me until they saw it for themselves.

'Apocalypse' - great name!

KaliBed.jpg

This is what he did to a (clean) shavings bed after just one night . . . that's concrete under there . . . is it any wonder he had capped hocks? A deeper bed results in the entire bed being brown . . . uniformly brown. This is why he is on straw . . . and why his bed looks like this:

KaliBed2.jpg

And actually, his bed is now far deeper - the banks come up to that notch on the wall and the base is at least a foot deep now . . . that picture was taken a year ago when we hadn't long been there and I was still building his bed up.

P

I had thought about using straw, but it would mean so much more work and the muck heap would be much bigger and smellier. I love the look of straw beds, but hate the way the smell clings after mucking them out.

Bf's mare is a messy tart, pees everywhere, poos everywhere (and a lot of it).
My boy is actually very tidy. He pees right in the middle, does one poo at the top left hand side at the back wall, and the rest of the poo goes over in a pile on the top right hand side at the corner beside the corner. That is exactly how his bed always is.

It's lovely to have a horse whose bed is always nice. My late mare was the tidiest horse I have known in the stable; just one wee spot and one pile of poo.

I thought mine was bad...I'm going to stop complaining! At least my bed lasts about 5 days!

Yes, five days is good in comparison.

I swear this horse produces more poo than all the others as well as being messy. I think some horses hate to put their feet in muck, but others don't seem to care what they're treading in.

Reacher

Visit site
What annoys me is my horse has stable door left open so she could do it all outside but she prefers to use bed as a toilet.
I want one of those horses that won't wee in stable

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Our messy horse is much better on straw, and therefore quicker to muck out. But I agree it does smell more. The muckheap rots down better with straw though and we don't have it removed as often as we did when it was shavings.

Could you not move him to a stable further away from the house so that he doesn't hear you!

NellRosk

Visit site
Will someone please tell me how my gelding manages to leave his bed looking untouched but upon further inspection has hidden all his droppings under his bankings so I have to go digging for them :confused3:

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
My gelding is so disgusting that it all has to be shovelled out, because this he doesn't get much bedding. He's on straw. Luckily my mare is so tidy, all the poo is on the right side in a vertical line and one wee. She likes to save the left side for nap time!

Jericho

Visit site
I wont mention my super clean gelding then - all poos in one place and one patch of wee. Rest of shavings bed nicely compacted down and hardly moved....

I do know another horse whose owner just sweeps out the whole stable on to the muck heap every day as it's appalling so I do sympathies (kind of...) :-D

alainax

Visit site
Will someone please tell me how my gelding manages to leave his bed looking untouched but upon further inspection has hidden all his droppings under his bankings so I have to go digging for them :confused3:
hehe! He is secretly a cat and hides his poops in his "litter tray" :p

Visit site
Mine are both dirty devils,. The mare waits until she comes in to a lovely clean bed to do a massive wee, same in the morning when I turn up, I get a Hallo wee. Poo is minced into bed. I am trying to resist taking all the wet out every day but once I start digging I cant stop.

3Beasties

Visit site
OMG I couldn't deal with that every day!!

My mare is super clean, poos in a pile and will even occasionally wee in a bucket for me. This is after being stabled for about 15 hours over night -

20141119_085941_zps28q2cspl.jpg

My gelding isn't so clean but isn't anywhere near as bad as yours!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OMG I couldn't deal with that every day!!

My mare is super clean, poos in a pile and will even occasionally wee in a bucket for me. This is after being stabled for about 15 hours over night -

20141119_085941_zps28q2cspl.jpg

My gelding isn't so clean but isn't anywhere near as bad as yours!

Wow! I'm so jealous!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
My mare's stable is very similar to 3Beasties, she's very tidy, just poos in one tidy spot (not much at all either), and wees in an area near the back of her stable. Love my tidy little angel! :') But my Mother's and Father's horses - yuck, very messy ponies! :'P Father's mare's stable looks very similar to OP's, and Mother's mare, erm, well it gets messy! I'll take some photos when I muck them out tomorrow and post them on here.

Stormynight

Visit site
I've had both ends of the spectrum. My old boy used to poo in 3 tidy piles, and waited 'til he went out to pee (our best stretch was 6 weeks without a wet patch... I'm sure his kidneys didn't thank him for it, but my purse certainly did!). 1 bale of shavings per month. Awesome. My current boy... well. I'll take a pic of it in the morning :(

Marydoll

Visit site
One of my mares, dungs and im sure spins 360 to make sure she spreads the joy, regularly vernight and then likes to mash it in to nice wee bits, to make sure youre there for ages

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
these two photos are of the stables of my previous two horses.

My mare who scoffed most of the bed before peeing for england on anything that was left

Before
Photo-0069-1.jpg

After!
Photo-0068.jpg

My gelding who pooped and peed anywhere he felt like it then walked it all around to every corner of the stable

Before
Photo-0070.jpg

After
Photo-0067-1.jpg

Thankfully the horse gods took pity on me and my current gelding is relatively clean in his stable, one wee in the centre and all his poops stacked up around the perimeter walls, sooo much easier!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
these two photos are of the stables of my previous two horses.

My mare who scoffed most of the bed before peeing for england on anything that was left

Before
Photo-0069-1.jpg

After!
Photo-0068.jpg

My gelding who pooped and peed anywhere he felt like it then walked it all around to every corner of the stable

Before
Photo-0070.jpg

After
Photo-0067-1.jpg

Thankfully the horse gods took pity on me and my current gelding is relatively clean in his stable, one wee in the centre and all his poops stacked up around the perimeter walls, sooo much easier!

That's pretty impressive!