Why are welshies so sharp?

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I've had 2 welshies my old boy was so clever but a complete wimp and would literally try to shove his head under my arm if there was something scary but he would follow me past anything, admittedly with much snorting and prancing but then I didn't mind that because I just used to admire how fabulous he looked. There was not a mean bone in his body he was so gentle.

My other one is a thug, he's actually a bit of a wimp but tries to cover it up with boshyness. He's a rescue and his default reaction is to flatten you and save himself. He's stubborn, opinionated and over dramitc and loves a good temper tantrum. If you just laugh at him and carry on he's fine but if he scares you he will escalate to being aggressive to get his own way. He's lovely if you're confident, calm quiet and fair. If you're unsure of what you want or nervous he will take full advantage. I love him to bits now but there has been many tears of anger and frustration from both of us to get to this point ?

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I think welsh are an acquired taste. My experience with them is they are fairly willful and not the most genuine of ponies. I loaned a crafty section A that used to regularly dump me and anybody else who rode him and was very much a character. I then regularly rode a section C who was exceedingly willful and not always kind to his riders and then last year I took a Section D on loan who I was smitten with despite being a known drama queen but who also started to dump me when his workload increased and we parted ways. I have decided that despite them being absolutely beautiful ponies they are maybe not for me! I would class myself as a fairly experienced rider and I am very much at home riding both arabs and iberians but some of the antics I have seen welshies get up I would class as dishonest so while I wouldn't rule the breed out entirely if I was having a native they wouldn't be my first choice.
I wouldn't class them as inherently dishonest at all, but it is true that if there's a personality clash you'll know about it!
The old lad has always been incredibly honest and saved my a$$ more times than I can count, but he does it because he enjoys his work and working with, not for, his rider.
If we have to have Words he's never nasty, but will pull a few interesting tricks out of the bag to make his point, it's definitely easier to persuade than demand.
I think it's mostly down to how well you can get them onside, if they want to please they're perfect, if they don't like their job, or their handler, you'll know you've been in a fight!

ihatework

Visit site
I love Welsh Ds and even more so 50:50 with blood, really useful allround riding horses with a brain, an engine and a sense of humour.

I think the best I had was as a teenager he was D x AA, buzzy as hell, but an awesome jumper and safe as houses.

eahotson

Visit site
I have one that is very placid.It is not so much Arab blood they have but Andalucian,particularly those from the Powys region.Back in the fifteenth century a lot were imported to improve the breed.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Its the dragon in them.

I have to say I’ve not met any that are anxious.
Every on ive had has been as bold as brass, a total diva and a drama queen but i just laugh at the dragon impressions.

That is so exactly how mine is. I do feel incredibly safe riding her though, despite all the sideways and snorting she does. Somebody mentioned cow pony? Mine would be brilliant judging by the way she is in the field with the other horses. She'll single a random one out, cut it away from the rest of the herd, drive it up and down the field a few times and crikey she is QUICK! And all, it seems, for her own amusement.

PurBee

Visit site
Anyone else have a problem with water and their welshies? I spent many happy years riding my friend's Sec C who was one of the best handled and bravest ponies I've ever had the pleasure of riding - unless he needed to go through a puddle and then the full ridiculous welsh side came out I AM GOING TO SINK IN THAT BOG. Normally we could manage to avoid puddles (or bribe with food) but there was one time and the end of a looooong circular ride where the toys massively came out the pram 10 mins from home and led to a 30 min detour while I tried to find a non-puddled path.

Obviously he then splashed through his under-water gateway as soon as we were home to get into his field.

yes - my mare especially...she then taught the younger gelding water is to be snorted at....but he just looks confused at what all the fuss is about.

I discovered her hate for water using a hose first. On her feet. Oh the dancing! Took a few rounds of training that fear out of her, but she still doesnt like it but will ‘tolerate’ me hosing her lower legs (only!) because she’s realised it doesnt actually kill her!

But puddles....oh god...as soon as the wee dip infront of the barn fills with some rainwater she skirts around it as if its a pit to the depths of hell!
So i jump in the puddle to show her how deep it isnt, while she snorts at me as if im mad!
Yet she will graze out in the hardest raining downpours, doesnt care if she gets soaked!...while the gelding hates the rain.

Because mine are a mixture of welsh and arab - ive always wondered which parts of their behaviour are arab or welsh. The one with 75% egyptian arab is far less anxious, far more brave & courageous than the 50% welsh, so the anxiousness/cowardice i attribute more to the welsh blood, as its far more pronounced in her, and he is her son so he also has her blood, but sire was 100% egyptian arab, and he’s a far more brave...yet does have the sensitivity and bravado reactivity, but he still retains brain function while in that mode, moreso than she does.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have an Arab but am on a yard with a lot of Welsh Ds and part breds. I have observed that both Arab and Section Ds are great drama queens when something upsets them. The difference seems to be that my Arab gets over it given time, but the Welshies just can't let it go ? They also seem to have that clever manipulating pony brain which keeps you on your toes all the time (is he undoing the bolt in his stable/untying himself/wrecking something etc) whereas Arabs are intrinsically 'good' people, if somewhat over sensitive lol.

My Arab still thinks he's a race horse but he's grown up with age. I remember falling off over a pheasant flying up from under his feet in our early days together. A similar scenario occurred at the weekend but instead of a split second spook and spin he just looked mildly at the offending creature as if to say 'good day to you Mr Pheasant'. I don't think most Welshies ever achieve that level of maturity ?

(No offence to those who actually do have a sane one!)

I would totally agree with I have 2 Arabs they can be big drama queens but they snap out of it fairly quick, I have known a few Welsh D's and they are similar but can just get worse and worse and then there brain just goes.

I actually find a lot of part bred Arabs worse than the pure breds especially ones crossed with TB or Welsh.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine was many things but sharp, insecure and anxious were not among them! He was the most arrogant horse I've ever met. He genuinely thought he was invincible so nothing ever bothered him. He was certifiably excitable, horribly stubborn and unbelievably annoying at times but he was also bold, brave, totally bombproof and I had total faith in him to get me home in one piece.

At one local ODE we were last after dressage (totally normal) and ended up winning because there was one particularly spooky fence on the course that every other horse stopped at at least once while he flew round. Even after being hit by a van (luckily he was very fit at the time so tensed his muscle and bounced off - £700 of damage to the van, just a singe mark in his very thick winter coat) he was 100% in traffic. I think it just reinforced his view that nothing could hurt him.

The only times I ever came off him were freak accidents - never because of anything he did wrong.

Smogul

Visit site
My traditional Welsh Section D Cob was totally laid back in all situations and anyone could ride her by themselves and she would always bring them back.

Had a Section D and two Section A's. All clever, sensible and great fun. Think it is just one of those "all chestnut mares are nutters" cliches that horsey people seem so fond of.

palo1

Visit site
I bought a welsh because I couldn't afford a PRE ?

Yes, I bought my Welsh D because I like the hot, sensitive types but couldn't afford a Spaniard and I wanted something that would be more 'native' in it's needs than my high maintenance pb Arab. I also adore the look of a nice Welsh cob and I like having something that is of it's place, in it's place if you know what I mean! Sort of 'home grown baroque' (purists please forgive me on that!). :) :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Anyone else have a problem with water and their welshies? I spent many happy years riding my friend's Sec C who was one of the best handled and bravest ponies I've ever had the pleasure of riding - unless he needed to go through a puddle and then the full ridiculous welsh side came out I AM GOING TO SINK IN THAT BOG. Normally we could manage to avoid puddles (or bribe with food) but there was one time and the end of a looooong circular ride where the toys massively came out the pram 10 mins from home and led to a 30 min detour while I tried to find a non-puddled path.

Obviously he then splashed through his under-water gateway as soon as we were home to get into his field.

This is where the RANDOM hysteria I mentioned earlier comes into play.

I've never evented mine as he won't box, but I used to ride through the pond at the yard until drainage pipes were added to it. He'd happily plow through the centre, water up to his chest. I miss doing it as it was fun.

He also goes through the puddle that goes right the way across the road if it's been raining heavily

However the little trickles of water running across the road, or the road appearing in the middle of the puddle that goes across the road.... now they are TERRIFYING and much freezing and snorting goes on ?

Like others have said, he's very intelligent

I used to loan him when he was in an rs and bought him off them when he had a complete meltdown, borderline breakdowns because he couldn't cope with all the different people

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Nope not recognising any of these traits in ny of my welsh all been calm quick to learn, willing, biddable and a pleasure to own Had all from babies and apart from being quick to learn have been easier than every other breed including the Highlands to look after and handle. We bred them for a while then bought wild foals from Builth all different lines all ultimatly became horse of a lifetime for their new owners

scruffyponies

Visit site
It's the saddest thing how many welshies are ruined by novice, nervous or jumpy owners. They need calm, consistency and a sense of humour. My 2 FTGH bin-end D's may have arrived kicking out at head height and scared of their own shadow, but they learned so quickly. Both are now a solid reliable ride and drive for just about anyone.
One would revert, I think, given a chance, as he is the bolshy kind, but how the other ever got so messed up is beyond me. He is the kindest and most solid soul I ever met.

Annagain

Visit site
I think a big part of it is they're very 'extra'. There are no in-betweens with a Welshie so they're either rock solid or very spooky, 100mph or very quiet. They're also very clever with very long memories so when you start treating them one particular way, they learn that is how they're 'supposed' to be and really live up to it. If I wasn't 100% on it with my boy he walked all over me (sometimes literally, he believed in taking the most direct route to what he wanted, whether my feet were in the way or not). He was clever enough to know the split second my guard was down and to exploit it. If he could pick that up from me, he could easily pick up other stuff.

Courbette

Visit site
It's the saddest thing how many welshies are ruined by novice, nervous or jumpy owners. They need calm, consistency and a sense of humour. My 2 FTGH bin-end D's may have arrived kicking out at head height and scared of their own shadow, but they learned so quickly. Both are now a solid reliable ride and drive for just about anyone.
One would revert, I think, given a chance, as he is the bolshy kind, but how the other ever got so messed up is beyond me. He is the kindest and most solid soul I ever met.

To be fair the 3 I referenced were all older and certainly two of the three had had many many riders before I came along so I have no idea what their backstories were. I initially really enjoyed my last Section D (partly because he was sharp) but he also had one hell of a buck that emerged as an evasion. I'm sure I could of learned a lot from him but I ride alone a lot of the time so decided he probably wasn't the one for me. My first ever loan pony (a welsh A) also played dirty by dropping his shoulder and then spinning but I was younger and he wasn't far to fall.

I used to ride a section D mare that had been backed by the breeder and then I started riding her and she was fabulous and I have been to many riding schools over the years so I'm sure I have ridden lots more welsh ponies but the three I have spent the most time with have all been quirky!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the people i got mine off told me that she was bad with puddles... and then eventually let on that they rode her into a bog once and she got stuck. I bet she loved that experience :rolleyes:
Actually she's fine with water, she splashes though them like a kid playing in her wellies :D usually manages to whack her dinnerplates at the perfect angle to shower me in dirty water. If I didn't know better I'd say she did it on purpose.... ;)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The late chestnut git (Tb/sec D) was awesome at cattle wrangling. If we were out hacking and came across a herd of milking cows being moved on the lane, he'd organise himself at the back without any prompting from me and help chivvy them along. No stragglers allowed. The farmers thought he was great!

I think I denied him his true vocation, as he only got to do it a few times.

Annagain

Visit site
the people i got mine off told me that she was bad with puddles... and then eventually let on that they rode her into a bog once and she got stuck. I bet she loved that experience :rolleyes:
Actually she's fine with water, she splashes though them like a kid playing in her wellies :D usually manages to whack her dinnerplates at the perfect angle to shower me in dirty water. If I didn't know better I'd say she did it on purpose.... ;)

They never do anything by accident. Eb knew exactly where his feet were going, even when they landed on top of mine. :rolleyes:

Hackback

Visit site

Aha! Many times I have ridden alongside a Welsh who I could swear was grinning evilly as they slammed their feet into a muddy puddle and covered us in dirty cold water. You have confirmed my suspicions ...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i whip round and roar at her and she just smiles sweetly back, whistling innocently....

*splooooooosh*

GSD Woman

Visit site
Interesting how so many of them are so different. There was a Welsh, maybe a part bred, on one yard where I rode. At the time I was light enough to ride her occasionally and really liked her. I think she was a B.

Boulty

Visit site
Mine was a slightly contradictory character. If he had a bad experience with something that was that, he hated it forever. (things that slotted into this section included vets, cows, dentists & clippers). There was some leeway sometimes (the three specific brown cows he lived with became tolerable... All others esp black & white ones were still the devil). He was also terrified of loud, flappy things, rustling / other noises behind hedges, objects on the floor that shouldn't be there (like rucksacks & judges chairs, people's jumpers etc) & anything that he suddenly noticed as he walked around a corner & patches of grass that looked different to other patches of grass. Also pigeons!

He would happily chase around goats, sheep, pigs, pheasants & donkeys (& loose dogs), massive articulated lorries were a boring non event, ditto cars pulling trailers / with canoes on the roof, he'd wade through water up to his chest & liked a good splash in the sea (once he'd decided it wasn't going to kill him), would cross bridges over motorways / directly over really noisy weirs & could plod alongside a railway line with a train speeding past with no reins (cos clearly the train stays on the track & isn't worth bothering about)

He was could put on an Oscar worthy performance if something wasn't to his liking (I'd rather be in THAT field / open this gate right now / turn me out immediately slave were some of his favourites... Also I can't find my girlfriend, what if she's been eaten by wolves?!)

Definitely agree that repeating things that he'd already done well displeased him unless it was a special favourite exercise & he definitely liked an audience / a big occasion to show off! My god he could be frustrating when he wasn't in the mood though (I remember him bucking his way around an S bend at TREC one day because I said no to him cantering it or then there's the time he nearly took a judge's head off because he didn't fancy doing the gate that day).

Basically massively opinionated drama queen!

Flame_

Visit site
I love my little welsh pony. I wish I had someone to help me get him riding, he's be great once he accepted it, he's clearly been given up on more than once. :(

His default is paranoia. "What are you going to do to me? How bad is it going to be? Sod it, I'm not hanging around to find out."

It took him months to come to terms with fly spray and you still can't get near him with it if he has the option of running away. He's a timid, mistrustful creature with humans but has an underlying cheeky, boundary pushing streak when he's feeling comfortable. For, "just" a companion pony you couldn't want a more engaging personality.

paddy555

Visit site
I think anyone who likes and "gets" Arabs and Spanish horses will do OK with the D's, I wouldn't have thought they were the job for beginners or nervous riders, though.

no way. :D
we have had several pure arabs and one section D.

One breed we took for a ride, it's intelligence, co operation, ability and helpfulness overflowed. It learnt quickly after only a couple of experiences, tried it's best, always tried to work with us, drove cattle, gathered sheep from the common, carried lame sheep across it's saddle, worked out how to do things itself without always having to be told, did everything one could possibly want from a horse and a few more things besides.

Then there was the other breed. Might go, might not, might shy, might not. Wanted a personal introduction to every sheep we met on a ride, bit difficult as an average ride was over 50 sheep or more, could certainly turn on a sixpence back the other way with no warning and for no apparent reason. Good jumper, could jump sideways up any bank it fancied again for no apparent reason but never extended that ability into actual jumps we wanted jumping, took forever to learn anything, totally brain dead to herding animals,

the only characteristic they had in common was that they were both lovely looking horses.